• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is kind of driving the discussion. They know how people respond by paying attention to social media and various discussion forums/groups such as this. I think this was a smart play. E3 shouldn't be a requirement for revealing a new console, given the dynamics of how people react to and discuss new information online today (and also how something like this shapes our opinions). Sony basically enlarged and then grabbed the hype wave by the arm by doing this, and arguably have more power over it and the impact of the discussion opposed to just doing an old fashioned E3-like reveal.

They can now focus on some kind of event where they go way more in depth on the console and its offerings.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I think it was smart of them not to show their entire hand as it relates to gpu compute power, cpu clock speed, or ram amount. That way they can prevent a competitor from making last minute adjustments based on their specs.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I've got Backwards compatibility. I admit I didn't expect that. Still don't know a price or power. And that is what actually matters. Not 8K not load time new SSD marketing talk.
Why would they reveal price and power to their competition so far out? They did the smart thing of just revealing enough to let 3rd parties to talk openly about it and letting their fans know that they will have a solid system and their games will carry over through Bc. They also threw out the buzzwords like 8k, Ray tracing etc... before ms does the same during their reveal at e3.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I don't know if it should be defined as 'genius' per se, but with a single tweet and a Wired article, they've completely set the tone and trajectory of the next-gen conversation.
I think better terms would be 'efficient' or 'effective'
It's a tactical strike, not Shock and Awe.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Sony is kind of driving the discussion. They know how people respond by paying attention to social media and various discussion forums/groups such as this. I think this was a smart play. E3 shouldn't be a requirement for revealing a new console, given the dynamics of how people react to and discuss new information online today (and also how something like this shapes our opinions). Sony basically enlarged and then grabbed the hype wave by the arm by doing this, and arguably have more power over it and the impact of the discussion opposed to just doing an old fashioned E3-like reveal.

They can now focus on some kind of event where they go way more in depth on the console and its offerings.

I agree.

This method of disseminating information (basically a blog) exceeds an industry-wide event that attracts millions of viewers every year along with the top names in both the developer and publisher fields.

I think Sony should go a step further: push the envelope and start tweeting out bits of info. Keep it to simple characters, make it a puzzle of tweets and watch the genius flow!

They've only begun to tap the potential of the internet. I can't wait to see what happens next!

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
It will absolutely come standard. There's no doubt about that after the piece and I'm surprised you would even raise that prospect after they've been so clear. Sure, much of what's here was widely expected (although some of it wasn't) but why is publicly confirming that information a bad thing? You sound strangely upset over a harmless piece.
Don't see why you're so sure. I'm not upset lol, just weird seeing people seemingly hyped over a whole lotta nothing.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, does it really matter?

Why blow tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars on a stupid blowout when you can reveal it in a blog and have the hardcore crowd spread the message for you. Save that money for marketing closer to launch.

Feb 10, 2018
Okay, we disagree, it's fine.

The thing about what your saying, is that it works both ways, if this has put pressure on ms then when MS unviel more then Sony it will put the pressure right back on Sony.
So your left with continuous game of one-upmanship, which importance is being overstated.
The content and hardware these companies provide is far more important.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Was a clever idea to put the specs out there. From a "most powerful console" viewpoint that 8K figure in the media is doubling the competition using 4K as a tagline.

I'd expect them to use that a lot in the next year.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I like the idea that Cerny has made his mind up about the specs, and he knows that Sony will try and downsize his vision, so he's gone rogue like "Try telling the fans they can't have the specs that I leaked, motherfuckers!"

Feb 10, 2018

Why blow tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars on a stupid blowout when you can reveal it in a blog and have the hardcore crowd spread the message for you. Save that money for marketing closer to launch.

Yes this is true.
Great point.

I only prefer press conferences and slideshow presentations because they are one of the few things in my life which bring me joy.

But as far as business goes, you're right.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

For some silly reason if its not in some pretty package for them to does not matter.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the article mention that the Cerny interview was done on the same day that the last unreleased game (ignoring Deep Down, that's dead) from the PS4 reveal event that Cerny lead went into early access?

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Okay it's going to completely backfire on them alright
It will if the tech demo gets exposed for being just that, a glorified tech demo, and the actual product when it gets any actual detailed reveal is full of compromises and downgrades that doesn't live up to any of these phantom expectations and vague promises, and likely will cost out the ass for it, while the competitors are more carefully managing expectations and crafting their message with more concret details and deliverables.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they will do something similar on the day of Microsoft's E3 press conference...
thinking-face_1f914.png

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
When you don't know what the competition is bringing to the table, how can anything you throw at them be a stroke of genius?

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about what your saying, is that it works both ways, if this has put pressure on ms then when MS unviel more then Sony it will put the pressure right back on Sony.
So your left with continuous game of one-upmanship, which importance is being overstated.
The content and hardware these companies provide is far more important.
Maybe ms revealing more is what Sony wants lol. Now Sony has got the ball rolling and put the basic stuff like powerful system, low loading times with ssd and thrown in raytracing, 8k buzzwords and cleared any concerns that people might have regarding Bc, they can just wait as long as possible to have their full reveal event and games launch lineup.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
It will if the tech demo gets exposed for being just that, a glorified tech demo, and the actual product when it gets any actual detailed reveal is full of compromises and downgrades that doesn't live up to any of these phantom expectations and vague promises, and likely will cost out the ass for it, while the competitors are more carefully managing expectations and crafting their message with more concret details and deliverables.

Microsoft's console sales trajectory is so far behind the Playstation. I don't how Microsoft should be capable of doing a far better job than Sony to beat them. There are no risky parts about the Playstation 5, it's just smart implementation.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Stroke of genius? Man people need to pump the brakes a bit on all this next-gen hype. Nothing super substantial was revealed save maybe RT.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A victory lap? Good lord. Come back to us when the final hardware is on a plate because it's not gonna be exactly what was said on paper. It never is.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
they've completely set the tone and trajectory of the next-gen conversation.
By doing... what, exactly? Acquiescing to demands to have features that competitors already have that they spent an entire generation shitting all over because "it's not a valid business path and we'd rather develop new titles?" Or are people being swayed by "oooh SSD support" when the competitors already had SSD's confirmed as well for their next gen plans. Or is it the better 4K support that it lacked, but competitors also already had?

I'm not sure what tone or trajectory you think they've set, but all they've done is try to play catch-up

Oct 31, 2017
You people sure have revisionist history. PS5 rumored specs were laughed at as too expensive and impossible. Now that some of it was confirmed it's now expected? GTFOH with that.

As for the reveal. It was a good move no matter how you spin that it wasn't. It lets Sony get into the next gen discussions early and first, while they still plan to do a dedicated conference to fully show it off. You people act the article yesterday is all Sony is going to do until launch.
I agree with this. Before the specs reveal a lot of people said the rumored specs were impossible because they would be too expensive now I'm seeing some of those same people turn around and say they expected these specs lol.

Sony did a smart thing getting in front of MS and announcing their specs. They stole the lime light right at the moment when MS was about to reveal the XBox All Digital console and made the gaming public both on here and on social media go nuts. All over YT and Twitter everyone was talking about the PS5. Whatever MS announces after now, I doubt it will be able to steal the mindshare and attention Sony was able to get by announcing the PS5 so early and surprising us all. It will be an "us too" moment whenever MS reveal their next gen specs. Unless they plan on revealing a 12K machine lol (I'm joking here, I don't believe for a second PS5 will play anything but the simplest games at 8K).

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
I went to the Wired story expecting credible next-gen rumours. I started reading as it dawned on me that this was an officially sanctioned reveal of the PS5 by Sony I couldn't quite believe it! The info was good but I was wondering 'why Sony chose to do it this way without fanfare and celebration?' Now Google has made a big reveal of Stadia and Microsoft have repeatedly spoken about xCloud. As we approach E3, which Sony isn't attending, they risk being left behind from the hype train. If they have nothing to reveal until 2020 it could leave them being left out of the next-gen conversation. So this was a preemptive step by Sony to announce to the gaming public that they are working on PS5 and that it will have some of the great things we want. Now during E3 when people are talking about next-Xbox they will be able to compare it with Sony's tangible product. The result of yesterdays reveal is they received a lot of press coverage, including mainstream media like the BBC and Daily Mail, because this is effectively the starting whistle for the next-generation hype season. A few hours later Microsoft reveal an Xbox One S with the blu-ray drive removed. It's not a fair comparison but it's easy to see that comparing the news of this one day only, it makes it seem like Sony won the PR battle.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wow, tough crowd in here. Obviously I'm not suggesting that there's anything "genius" in a company giving a publication the exclusive scoop on its next-gen console, but I think the fact that it came out of absolutely no where was a masterstroke. They kept the mystery of the console while quelling key fears, and they're now driving the next-gen discussion when practically every single person on this forum expected Microsoft to do that.

You can disagree with the language I used, but I don't think I'm saying anything wildly controversial in this article.

Thanks for reading and commenting all the same! Haha!

Feb 10, 2018
Maybe ms revealing more is what Sony wants lol. Now Sony has got the ball rolling and put the basic stuff like powerful system, low loading times with ssd and thrown in raytracing, 8k buzzwords and cleared any concerns that people might have regarding Bc, they can just wait as long as possible to have their full reveal event and games launch lineup.

Any can throw hypothetical reasonings and conspiracys, but it's pretty pointless unless your just trying to stir the pot, why not try and make points with reasoning and evidence like how the site rules suggest.