• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
hmm, I dunno. I made a thread about this long before the Ps5 was even released but I kinda like how it stands out in white.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
The problem with the PS5 is really just how hard it is to have fit into people's setups. But for mine it's perfect.

I'm just going to go with the hot take and say that the digital PS 5 is the best looking console I've ever owned, and I have owned a few (NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64, black GC, Xbox, 360 (both black and white versions, thank you RROD), PS3 slim, Switch, PS4 slim, PS5, Series X).

Most of the consoles were either pretty non-descript boxes for under the TV (Series X, PS4 slim, PS3 slim, black GC, etc.) or more "toy"-y (the cart based systems). Nondescript is definitely preferable to ugly, obviously.

But I think at least in my setup the digital PS5 looks so good. The light, the design, it fits perfectly and it looks great horizontally. Versus the Series X which is just kind of there. Ultimately all that matters is the games anyway, but I genuinely do enjoy the look of my PS5 in my setup.

Oct 12, 2020
Eh. All black doesn't redeem the design catastrophe all that much for me. I'll hold out until a proper redesign or until there is a Sony gaming experience I just can't miss out on and I buy the current monstrosity.

if it's not clear with the above: not a fan of the PS5 aesthetic. I'm hardly alone in this thinking at least. That poll someone did earlier says it all.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's slightly better but if I'm buying a bad looking console I'm saying fuck it and going all in embracing the whole hideousness at its fullest extent, not trying to fix it just a bit.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nope. I'm an NRA certified instructor. I generally go to the show each year to get stuff for dirt cheap and see the new products. I also get to see friends in cities I haven't been to in ages or a city I've never been to.

I usually get two things a souvenirs: an engraved Benchmade knife (One side with Big H and the other side with the year of the show) and the other is a mug.
Like a firearms instructor? What stuff do you get?

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
black and white works best for me.
it's very aesthetically pleasing in my room.

nnxyew5d3pkjy.jpg
Did you just accidentally leak the PS5 Pro?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why people think it looks merely "less bad." It looks meh normally but legitimately sweet all black.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
White looks like a spaceship.
Black looks incredibly boring.

Neither makes the console look any less massive.

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
Still needs an option to turn off the damn lights especially the standby ones. I won't use that option until there is one.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the designs of the PS2 ("phat" and slim), original PS3, and the PS4 Pro, and the PS5 does look better in flat black, but I really hope there's a redesign/slim model PS5 sooner rather than later. Probably my least favorite Sony console design.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The actual truth here is that it looks so much better in matte. Glossy finish on consoles is a gross fad that began, and should have ended, in the PS3/360/Wii gen.

But it's still an ugly design, regardless of the colour.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The wait for my Darkplates just got more excruciating.

Looks so good, can't wait for mine and my black Dualsense to arrive.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I was actually looking for a Wipeout inspired design. I'm not a fan of stickers but something like that would probably be pretty hard to pull off with plates.
If there eas a cool design template I might even consider spraypainting them myself...

OP
OP
hwalker84

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Like a firearms instructor? What stuff do you get?
The way I describe it to people is a car show where all manufactures are in attendance and you can touch and sit in every vehicle (not drive them) and their brand new or unannounced vehicles are also there. Along with every major and most minor aftermarket vendors showing off their products and having insane coupons, decent swag, or the ability to purchase onsite.

So for example I was buying a scope with their upgraded mount a few years ago. The best sale I'd ever seen popped up online at optics planet and I jumped on it. The thing was backordered because of the deal. The manufacturer was at the NRA show with an even better deal so I cancelled my purchase from Optics planet while standing there and bought it on the show floor.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
The white one looks like a console from the future as designed by a 12 year old and the matte black one looks like a giant internet router.

Honestly the form factor is the main issue, not the colour. The whole thing is just ugly.

Kane1345

Senior QA, Starbreeze Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I've gotten used to the white look and probably prefer it to an all-black one.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Looks even more like a router in all black, but I guess it's kind of better since it fades out easier in the dark. Still, with the two BLAZING front lights, it's still annoying to even have facing me while gaming, so I just have mine behind my TV so I don't have to look at it either way. Bonus is, I get some bias lighting on half of the area behind the TV. 😆

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm in the extreme minority but I honestly don't like black electronics and the all black PS5 looks worse to me. All my furniture is white including my tv stand which the current PS5 looks nice in. With more electronics, especially tv's had white versions.
I waited until the white ps4 to released before I got my PS4 long ago as I didn't wavy the default black ps4.

I do hope and all black version does get an official release so everyone will have options.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's time to dip mine. I keep picturing obnoxious colors, tho. Like red, or pink. Tree frog green. I can't wait to regret it.