• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Don't know about this, many people didn't expect PS4 dominating as it did prior to the actual reveals, 360 was an extremely solid contender and MS could have build on that. PS5 will be a success, no doubt about it, but it might not be dominating the competition as easily. Personally I think it'll be No. 1 again, but who knows? Things can change.

They haven't lost to MS in any generation. The PS3 is an outlier to a dominant performance.

Their main competition is Nintendo imo

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
People like PlayStation.... the 106 million PS4 consoles sold speak louder than instagram likes lol. I mean, is there any other relevant console that has sold close to that? So of course there are going to be tons and tons of eager people waiting for the PS5, especially with how the PS4 has had quality support with it's first and third party releases.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't lost to MS in any generation. The PS3 is an outlier to a dominant performance.

Their main competition is Nintendo imo

You're right, but after the huge success of the 360 compared to the original Xbox, they could have taken the lead.

Yeah Nintendo is definitely a very solid competitor, but they're so far apart in terms of raw power, that they are kinda in another league.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
The circle-jerk over a logo is...certainly something else.

You guys thirsty af.

The reaction on social media, and on media websites shows everyone is thirsty for NEXT GEN, but more so for Playstation.

You're right, but after the huge success of the 360 compared to the original Xbox, they could have taken the lead.

Yeah Nintendo is definitely a very solid competitor, but they're so far apart in terms of raw power, that they are kinda in another league.

Both fight for space in your gaming life and living room. They are competitors to your hard earned cash.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like that Sony is preparing us for the official reveal, it's about to get crazier than now.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The circle-jerk over a logo is...certainly something else.

You guys thirsty af.

You must have missed the reaction to the article where Jim said he could finally reveal the name of the next PlayStation, being called the "PS5", and he felt a weight lifted by finally letting it be known. The cheers and pure excitement to hearing PS5 being officially confirmed were even more dramatic than Jim was being lol.

Honestly though, Sony deserves this level of enthusiasm for their brand as they have earned it and I'm really looking forward to the PS5 launch.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
The full reveal is gonna curb stomp records if they can already get 5 million on a damn logo. They already got 3.3 million views on a back button attachment for a 7 year controller.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes you just have to stick with the known branding.
Saw a lot of people in the CES Sony thread claiming "boring! Sony should do something new!" or "this is VERY safe and uninspiring!" or variations of that.

Remember when Sony decided to be 'creative' with rebranding and went with the Spider-Man font for the PS3?
That, along with the system price, and removing rumble in the controller (now imagine if they would have stuck with the boomerang controller? lol) was a rough time. I think they pivoted back to the more familiar logo, which was a minor variance of the PS2 one, within... what... a year and a half of the PS3 launch?

Stick with what works.

This.
After the massive success of the PS4 sony would have to be absolutely insane to change the logo to something new. The PS4 logo is already recognizable worldwide, the ps5 branding just continues building on that mind share.

It's marketing 101

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
5 times that of the next best which was xbox series reveal. Holy shit that's a massive difference. Can't wait to see ps5 sales after it launches, they deserve it after this gen.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
They haven't even used a new font. You can tell how established the PlayStation brand is at this point... even more crazy if you've witnessed the "consoles are dead" craze in 2013.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah the logo is boring, derivative and samey. The logo itself isn't the reason it's getting likes.

To casuals that don't follow the industry that much, this is the first time the PS5 has been acknowledged officially.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
CDeUhrF.gif

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It is exciting to hear about a console reveal when the last hasn't run out of steam.

It's like 'We know you're happy with what you have, but we weren't. Get ready'.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
5 times that of the next best which was xbox series reveal. Holy shit that's a massive difference. Can't wait to see ps5 sales after it launches, they deserve it after this gen.

The next best definitely isn't the Xbox Series X reveal. The article says it's a Fortnite post at 2.7 million. I've just scanned the PlayStation Instagram and found two posts with more likes than the Xbox Instagram post on the first couple of pages. A throwaway Days Gone post has 1.7 million likes, so the PS5 logo isn't 5 times the nearest most liked.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The next best definitely isn't the Xbox Series X reveal. The article says it's a Fortnite post at 2.7 million. I've just scanned the PlayStation Instagram and found two posts with more likes than the Xbox Instagram post on the first couple of pages. A throwaway Days Gone post has 1.7 million likes, so the PS5 logo isn't 5 times the nearest most liked.
Thanks for the clarification. Instagram is really highlighting how strong the Playstation brand is.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Crazy that this needs to be explained, but It's because even casual fans are hyped about the PS5, not the actual logo. I also noticed yesterday that a popular NBA player's comment that he "can't wait" was one of the most liked/responded to (Paul George - @ygtrece) so crossover appeal seems obvious.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
nuh uh i feel gooder because i drive on the rumble strips in gran turismo with a controller pressed to by crotch and also my identity is attached to playstation so i am popular which is so cool
A dull logo has turned people into madmen (see above), just imagine what a new logo with broad appeal would've done lol. Wow...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the relevance.

I mean, when things go viral on social media it goes beyond that individual user or page's following.

I'm pointing out how strong the brand is? They've got by far the biggest Instagram following of any of the other platforms. People worldwide adore PlayStation as a brand.