• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From the other thread, can go in the OP next to his (Tom Warren's) results maybe

I wonder why that would make such a significant difference? or if it's like others have wondered that it's what you have installed that effects it? I wonder if we could get some tests of PS5s that have nothing installed vs. ones that have several games installed?

Ah, ok, thanks. I dunno then!

yeah, it might be good to add that post from get2sammyb to the OP nib95?

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for the thread Nib, this is much more informative than that other one. Let's wait for more testing and resports so we can understand why the disparity in results.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
To be clear, I timed from the beep of the console to the user login screen. Let me try again now.

EDIT: I got 8.31 seconds, from beep to user login screen, with Days Gone suspended and a PS4 game downloading in the background.

Last edited:

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Nice post! We need to get a standard test.
Same game. Same wired connection or no connection at all. From the moment the button is pressed or from the moment the screen turns on.

I feel it's kinda pointless to compare so loosely, specially when it can involve connectivity. You can't guarantee that the Internet or the servers aren't the bottleneck.

(lol nice tag, nib)

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
EmKT0TKXgAEeWEO

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
the full break down in the other thread from @get2sammyb of Push Square contradicts this
Fair enough and 8 seconds is definitely faster. I think it's clear by now that there are some slight and imo not meaningful differences. Could be networking (auto login) or some other weird stuff we can't predict yet happening. But what's clear with him posting a video is that he isn't lying and for some reason his PS5 is providing slower results than the rest.
Can we please not make this the stopwatch gen? jfc
Haha, no we can't apparently. I wish we could, but you know... Just wait for cross and next gen comparison. It will be unnecessary chaotic.
Tom Warren's Xbox cold boot is 4 seconds longer than the Dave Lee one, for example (yet everyone is focused on the ps5 one).
Uhm... Good point.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Not to sound like a maroon, but isn't resuming from rest state pretty much instant on the ps4?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder why that would make such a significant difference?

Ah, so reading that, it's a good possible explanation for the discrepancies.

If it's deliberate, the reasons for it may be quite simple - maybe the system waits a while before 'deep freezing' things (relatively speaking), for a faster turnaround in case you accidentally put the system in standby and want to come back in or whatever.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
There's no standard here. Everyone is likely counting different points as being fully booted up. Tom Warren's Xbox cold boot is 4 seconds longer than the Dave Lee one, for example (yet everyone is focused on the ps5 one).

Can we please not make this the stopwatch gen? jfc...

I mean, it's a video... so unless you're implying he doctored it to make the PS5 look bad, not sure what the point of this comment is.

That's usually what happens when you are only interested in one of them. We are going to see a gazillion videos on Youtube with stopwatches. All I can say is both systems appear to be very impressive.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
There's no standard here. Everyone is likely counting different points as being fully booted up. Tom Warren's Xbox cold boot is 4 seconds longer than the Dave Lee one, for example (yet everyone is focused on the ps5 one).

Can we please not make this the stopwatch gen? jfc...

I mean, it's a video... so unless you're implying he doctored it to make the PS5 look bad, not sure what the point of this comment is.

Unfortunately we are already pass the point of no return. Every faceoff will be about Framerates, RT, Resolution and now load screens.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough and 8 seconds is definitely faster. I think it's clear by now that there are some slight and imo not meaningful differences. Could be networking (auto login) or some other weird stuff we can't predict yet happening. But what's clear with him posting a video is that he isn't lying and for some reason his PS5 is providing slower results than the rest.
Haha, no we can't apparently. I wish we could, but you know... Just wait for cross and next gen comparison. It will be unnecessary chaotic.
Uhm... Good point.

oh I definitely agree that Tom isn't lying, I just wonder what the root cause is

honestly if anything we're just all in a feeding frenzy over this because next-gen is almost here & hopefully this craziness will die down once we're all playing the systems next week instead

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Great thread, looking forward to the next-gen load time section being updated :)

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be clear, I timed from the beep of the console to the user login screen. Let me try again now.

EDIT: I got 8.31 seconds, from beep to user login screen, with Days Gone suspended and a PS4 game downloading in the background.

8 seconds with a game running and game downloading is pretty solid.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
oh I definitely agree that Tom isn't lying, I just wonder what the root cause is

honestly if anything we're just all in a feeding frenzy over this because next-gen is almost here & hopefully this craziness will die down once we're all playing the systems next week instead
No lies detected. This generation will be amazing and I think better than the last one, which was already good.
  • Huge CPU increase -> new gameplay (physics, NPC count, ...) possibilities
  • No time to order a pizza due to loading speeds. Well actually that's a problem :P
  • SSD and I/O Improvements for new level designs and lightning fast loading.
  • Backwards compatibility
  • All three (yep, I include Nintendo for this bullet points) firing on all cylinders and taking a gamer first approach
This and more has me so excited for this gen. It's gonna be great. Bye PS4, Wii U (well bye again I guess xD) and Xbox One.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
i can see people going insane over this stuff.
doing the tests all over again after each system update etc lol
let it go people next gen is fast, your couple of seconds are not that important,
worry more about the hours you will waste on the collectathon right after the boot

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i can see people going insane over this stuff.
doing the tests all over again after each system update etc lol
let it go people next gen is fast, your couple of seconds are not that important,
worry more about the hours you will waste on the collectathon right after the boot

I agree, but that's why I think instead of focusing on or cherry picking one test over another, we should just amalgamate every one that we get.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
We don't really know, but my post from earlier.
Tom Warren did some follow up testing that more clearly explained what his video showed. TLDR: The longer the system is off, the longer it takes to resume. Honestly he has done the most thorough testing so far.

Might as well add that too your list...

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tom Warren did some follow up testing that more clearly explained what his video showed. TLDR: The longer the system is off, the longer it takes to resume. Honestly he has done the most thorough testing so far.

Might as well add that too your list...

As far as I know he hasn't provided new figures or a new video, so I'll wait for more comprehensive testing. It's not clear if any of these other testers already did something similar (eg waited a while before resuming), or if he did the same with the Series X.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think it could also be how they're booting up. Meaning if they're on a different input, the signal may take a little longer. Also how quickly they're hitting the PS Button. I know that on PS4, when you go into sleep mode and then you hit the PS button after the light on the console stops pulsing it immediately starts up.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
As far as I know he hasn't provided new figures or a new video, so I'll wait for more comprehensive testing. It's not clear if any of these other testers already did something similar (eg waited a while before resuming), or if he did the same with the Series X.
He posted it in the other thread. It is an explanation with numbers that are 100% relevant to help explain discrepancies. I mean the other ones you are posting are just figures themselves without video so not sure why you would leave his update out.....

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He posted it in the other thread. It is an explanation with numbers that are 100% relevant to help explain discrepancies. I mean the other ones you are posting are just figures themselves without video so not sure why you would leave his update out.....

But they all roughly match up with each other whilst Tom's is the outlier. That's an important distinction.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

8 seconds with a game running and game downloading is pretty solid.

Actually, I would expect boot times to be longer if the PS5 wasn't actively running in the background. If the PS5 is downloading, it is really already booted.

Better to test it after it has been in standby for a while, and not active in the background, as Tom Warren mentioned earlier.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
It's so odd how different they are, most are around the same though and I would trust digital foundrys result the most.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actually, I would expect boot times to be longer if the PS5 wasn't actively running in the background. If it is downloading, it is really already booted.

Whilst in a suspended state, the system is theoretically already booted in a very lower power state. Likewise with if a game is downloading, or a controller is charging etc.

Oct 27, 2017
But they all roughly match up with each other whilst Tom's is the outlier. That's an important distinction.

Funny that you were complaining about the lack of information and transparency in the other thread but now you won't post Tom's update in the OP.

Makes you wonder doesn't it.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny that you were complaining about the lack of information and transparency in the other thread but now you won't post Tom's update in the OP.

Makes you wonder doesn't it.

He didn't post updated numbers, just said it takes longer if the system has been waiting 15m or so. Did he wait 15m with the Series X? He said he tested multiple PS5's and saw similar results. Did they wait 15+m with each one? Has he provided specific new numbers? I haven't seen them. If I've missed the new numbers, feel free to quote them here and I'll add them.

Last edited:

nstine

Dec 21, 2017
the full break down in the other thread from get2sammyb of Push Square contradicts this
I was assuming when get2sammyb said he resumes from rest mode and provided the time to in-game it is resuming straight into the game like the PS5 first look video shows. So this would look something like turn on console -> select user -> boots to the game's menu instead of turn on console -> select user -> dashboard -> in game (not sure if this was just for demonstration purposes or an actual boot option for PS5). The differences here would be that perhaps the OS takes longer to load everything for the dash (4k dash + things that require internet to load and etc) vs the time it takes to load straight into a game. Included a timestamp from the first look video to show what I mean:

youtu.be

First Look at the PlayStation 5 User Experience

Finally - hereā€™s a sneak peek at the PlayStation 5ā€™s user experience! Watch our new video walkthrough to see new features designed to make your gaming experi...

Notice how he goes straight from the user select screen into the game/control center instead of the PS5's dashboard.

That said it looks like Tom has provided another potential reason for the differences in load time.
I posted this in the other thread regarding that. Still seems like they are not using the same test. Maybe get2sammyb can provide a few more details about his process to clear this up?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Whilst in a suspended state, the system is theoretically already booted in a very lower power state. Likewise with if a game is downloading, or a controller is charging etc.

There could be different CPU states for suspend vs downloading. Better to test the one that will be in play most often when you hit the power button (not downloading).

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the YouTube impressions show 7 second wake from sleep times. Looks like more and more videos trickling in.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There could be different CPU states for suspend vs downloading. Better to test the one that will be in play most often when you hit the power button (not downloading).

get2sammyb was your first test with a game downloading in the background as well? Times are slightly different, so possibly slightly different variables. Not that I personally think it'd make much difference lol.

Most of the YouTube impressions show 7 second wake from sleep times. Looks like more and more videos trickling in.

If you link them I'll add them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Added some Miles Morales load times.

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't post updated numbers, just said it takes longer if the system has been waiting 15m or so. Did he wait 15m with the Series X? He said he tested multiple PS5's and saw similar results. Did they wait 15+m with each one? Has he provided specific new numbers? I haven't seen them. If I've missed the new numbers, feel free to quote them here and I'll add them.

So you're only in it for the numbers, not the context under which the numbers were achieved. Thanks for clarifying!

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing speeds, PS5 is going to be bonkers. Cerny knocked it out of the park.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you're only in it for the numbers, not the context under which the numbers were achieved. Thanks for clarifying!

He's only offered vague context. Once he re-does the test with differences and/or offers numbers, I'll definitely post them. Right now there's nothing concrete or specific.

And we don't know the context for any of the other tests either, we just know they match up with each other. I have to assume that Digital Foundry of all outlets, carried out the tests thoroughly and/or properly.

Oct 27, 2017
He's only offered vague context. Once he re-does the test with differences and/or offers numbers, I'll definitely post them. Right now there's nothing concrete or specific.

And we don't know the context for any of the other tests either, we just know they match up with each other. I have to assume that Digital Foundry of all outlets, carried out the tests thoroughly and/or properly.

Even DF mentioned that Rest Mode takes time to fully go dormant. Most people are going to resume their console after at least 15min. Sleeping then immediately turning the device on isn't a real world use case but its the one you are grasping to by not including all available information.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even DF mentioned that Rest Mode takes time to fully go dormant. Most people are going to resume their console after at least 15min. Sleeping then immediately turning the device on isn't a real world use case but its the one you are grasping to by not including all available information.

How do you know DF's time wasn't after waiting 15m, or that any of the other tests weren't for that matter? Till we have an actual test that compares the two, we simply don't know.

The difference between results could be down to any number of things, eg time suspended, the game that was suspended, what the system was or was not doing in the background, and so on.

Oct 27, 2017
How do you know DF's time wasn't after waiting 15m, or that any other of the tests for that matter? Till we have an actual test that compares the two, we simply don't know.

The difference between results could be down to any number of things, eg time suspended, the game that was suspended, what the system was or was not doing in the background, and so on.

Exactly!! Include all pertinent information so we can draw a better conclusion. You shouldn't just be waiting for numbers at this point and it seems you agree now so I'm not sure what the issue is!