• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As other thread OP's don't seem to be updated with results, or contain outlier results, I thought I'd make one that updates to amalgamate times from all different sources, similar to the battery round up thread.

Cold boot/resume.

Digital Foundry

Cold Boot - 14 seconds
Resume - 7 seconds

Digital Foundry said:
It starts with a press of the power button, eliciting the same ping as PS4 - but the similarity from one console generation to the next ends there. From a cold boot, PlayStation 5 is ready for use in less than 14 seconds (halve that if you're coming back from Rest Mode) and right off the bat, you're good to go.

www.eurogamer.net

PlayStation 5 review: welcome to the next generation

The Digital Foundry verdict: Sony has delivered a hugely impressive, premium machine with great games that really feels like it ushers in a new generation of gaming.

Push Square.

Cold Boot - 18 seconds
Resume - 5 seconds

www.pushsquare.com

PS5 Review: Is It Good?

Sony's next-gen PlayStation 5 iterates impressively on PS4

Dave Lee.

Cold Boot - 23 seconds
Resume - 9 seconds

H9m4s39_d.webp

Tom Warren.

Cold Boot - 24 seconds
Resume - 14 seconds

Edit: There's been a fair bit of discussion about why Tom's numbers differ from the others, numbers he's said were similarly achieved on multiple different PS5 systems.

Tom has stated that he believes the difference may be down to the amount of time the PS5 is suspended before turning it back on (supposedly it may take longer after 15m), but we don't have specific comparison numbers from him yet to know the difference for sure, whether other factors may have played a role (eg background tasks, the specific game being suspended etc), nor whether any of the other tests above waited a similar length or time.

We also don't know if he used the same testing methodology (eg waiting 15+mins before re-launching) with the Series X, or with the other PS5's he/his site tested, but I thought I'd update either way.

Next-Gen Games

Spider-Man Miles Morales

Digital Foundry
Boot - 4 seconds
Loading - 1 second

Hardcore Gamer
Boot - 8 seconds (11 to input)
Loading - 2 seconds

NBA 2K21

Forkevo
Loading - 3 seconds
(PS4 version takes 1 minute 19 seconds)

youtu.be

NBA 2K21 Loading Time Comparison - Current Gen vs Next Gen (PS4 vs PS5)

In this video, I'll be showing you the difference between loading time on the next gen version of NBA 2K21 on PS5 vs the current gen version of NBA 2K21 on P...

Will update with next-gen games times as they come. Just tag me in any post or link you find that has new results, and I'll update the OP. The more results and tests, the better.

Last edited:

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Why is it so diff?
Is it because of installed games?

N2iPv0c.png

or this maybe? maybe Tom Warren has it in Low Power Use mode?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Times are pretty different between each case. I wonder why it is this way. Great job, Nib.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not looking forward to next gen discourses lol "IT'S 3 SECONDS LONGER?? WHAT IN THE 7 HELLS IS GOING ON??"

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Could it be the network ? updating homepage with online stuff?
has anybody tried with the console offline?

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep this is better for comparisons. Thanks OP. I'm guessing slight differences in set up has led to the differences. Either way it's not bad at all.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Surprised about the cold boot times. My PS4 Slim boots in 20 seconds. Was expecting the PS5 to boot as quickly as my nearly 10 year old MacBook Pro with SSD.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
As other thread OP's don't seem to be updated with results, or contain outlier results, I thought I'd make one that updates to amalgamate times from all different sources, similar to the battery round up thread.

Cold boot/resume.

Digital Foundry

Cold Boot - 14 seconds
Resume - 7 seconds

www.eurogamer.net

The Digital Foundry verdict: Sony has delivered a hugely impressive, premium machine with great games that really feels like it ushers in a new generation of gaming.

Push Square.

Cold Boot - 18 seconds
Resume - 5 seconds

www.pushsquare.com

Dave Lee.

Cold Boot - 23 seconds
Resume - 9 seconds

H9m4s39_d.webp

Tom Warren.

Cold Boot - 24 seconds
Resume - 14 seconds

Will update with next-gen games times as they come. Just tag me in any post or link you find that has new results, and I'll update the OP. The more results and tests, the better.

One of these is not like the others.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Why everyone gets different? And why is Tom so out?

Tom is timing all the way through auto-login, to availability of the dash. It's not clear if everyone's timing the same things, or if in some other cases they were timing just to the login screen? I expect videos from everyone would do a lot to clear up discrepancies.

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this! Don't know why the other results haven't been added to the op in the other thread.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Nib. I need to go back and check but I thought Arrekz (sp) claimed 7 seconds resume.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The fact of the matter is, both consoles are probably performing different tasks in standby that we are not aware of which could result in such variable times. It might also be dependent on the game that is loaded at the moment.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018

Cold boot/resume.

Digital Foundry

Cold Boot - 14 seconds
Resume - 7 seconds

www.eurogamer.net

Push Square.

Cold Boot - 18 seconds
Resume - 5 seconds

www.pushsquare.com

Dave Lee.

Cold Boot - 23 seconds
Resume - 9 seconds

H9m4s39_d.webp

Tom Warren.

Cold Boot - 24 seconds
Resume - 14 seconds

The other thread was updated, with threadmarks.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Sounds like these tests were done with different firmware updates or something like that.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tom is timing all the way through auto-login, to availability of the dash. It's not clear if everyone's timing the same things, or if in some other cases they were timing just to the login screen? I expect videos from everyone would do a lot to clear up discrepancies.
Could be the simple case of some previewers measuring from push of the PS button to login screen, while Tom for instance measured PS button -> dashboard (auto login done).

the full break down in the other thread from get2sammyb of Push Square contradicts this

I get about 5 seconds from Rest Mode to the User Login screen. Then another 3 seconds from User Login to a suspended game. Didn't watch his video so not sure what he's doing differently to me, but those are the numbers I've been getting.

More in my review here: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/11/ps5_review_-_the_future_of_playstation#loading-times

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's confusing. Is DF measuring from the moment they press the power button, or when something shows up on the screen?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Are they? We don't know where DF and all others stopped. If they stop at the login screen, then that's naturally faster than the dashboard as the console needs to auto login for this.
We don't know when they've stopped.
We have to consider that they probably stopped the clock at the equivalent 'point' to compare with XSX. Otherwise it doesn't make sense, does it?

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Anything that requires a network state will have significant variations, and contains an additional delay which is outside of the hardware's control.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
We have to consider that they probably stopped the clock at the equivalent 'point' to compare with XSX. Otherwise it doesn't make sense, does it?
Of course. But Xbox has a login screen aswell. Thus it could a case of some stopping at the login and Tom stopping for both consoles at the dashboard. I think as long as the rules are the same (both login, both dashboard), then it's Fairplay.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
There's no standard here. Everyone is likely counting different points as being fully booted up. Tom Warren's Xbox cold boot is 4 seconds longer than the Dave Lee one, for example (yet everyone is focused on the ps5 one).

Can we please not make this the stopwatch gen? jfc...

I mean, it's a video... so unless you're implying he doctored it to make the PS5 look bad, not sure what the point of this comment is.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
From the other thread, can go in the OP next to his (Tom Warren's) results maybe

OK so upon further testing over the past few hours, there's definitely some inconsistencies with the way the PS5 resumes. It appears (and I'll need to test fully) that if you resume from rest mode quickly (within a few minutes) after the system enters that state then it takes a lot less time. If you leave your console for like 10-15 mins and resume from standby it takes the time in my video. This could explain the inconsistencies we're seeing in resume times on the PS5. Hope this helps.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
More people calling Tom a liar or implying he hates Sony is childish crap. He's got actual videos showing how he timed it. Are you accusing him of faking that?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Of course. But Xbox has a login screen aswell. Thus it could a case of some stopping at the login and Tom stopping for both consoles at the dashboard. I think as long as the rules are the same (both login, both dashboard), then it's Fairplay.
I guess you can also set both consoles to auto login ( I'd say both xbo and ps4 do this, so no reason to not activating it on next gen consoles) so we get a much straightforward way to compare.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
That is amazing. What are the boot times for the base PS4. I feel like my cold boot time is pretty bad but the resume time doesn't take long.