• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I think the Japanese version is much better with the addition of actual games. The English version could easily be for the Xbox Series X, great vision with no game play (not a knock, I am buying an XSX, XSS, and already have 36-months of GamePass Ultimate - also have multiple PS5 consoles on preorder).

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I know the purpose of ads like this one and the Xbox one are to garner interest for launch but feels weird how all the marketing seems to be pretty far removed from actual games. I don't think you need to have a 30 second let's play but you'd think they'd at least try to lean into more about Spiderman or something?

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Haha, not bad! Over the top, like always, but damn, I like them.
I must be out of touch because I have no idea who Travis Scott is.

Oh FFS. I had no idea who he was either, then I took it upon me to leave the comfort that was the open tab in which I was browsing Resetera and google it. Is it that hard? Or are you just being an attention whore?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was dull.

The 15 second Travis Scott social media trailer was way more interesting.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's a far cry from the days of ps2 ads. You can see how western the company has become. It was ok, just something I'd expect from their rival.
They symbols but was nice though.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Not bad, but not quirky enough compared to previous sony ads.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
I'm kind suprised the role have been reverse between the US and Japanese commercial.

typically, japan is all about the soft sell advertisement
while US is all about the hard sell.
There's a reason why so many people enjoy the Japanese version more, they are way more used to hard sell advertisement tactics.

Then again, I aint suprised that they reversed both psychological sales tactics. Soft sale-ing as had more succes in america in the last 18 months.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
can we just not with honestly what comes across as passive aggressive racism? No one thinks its cool to not be aware of one of the biggest artists of the moment. Look it up, no need for these comments.
How in the fuck is not knowing who someone is, passive racism?

I legit only found out who Travis Scott is two weeks ago. Not everyone listens to what's popular. Stop thinking that everyone knows who you know. I could name an endless amount of names and bands that you would have no idea who they are, would that be considered racism?

Obviously one can look it up, but there's no need to assume racism.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I know the purpose of ads like this one and the Xbox one are to garner interest for launch but feels weird how all the marketing seems to be pretty far removed from actual games. I don't think you need to have a 30 second let's play but you'd think they'd at least try to lean into more about Spiderman or something?

What is Playstation/gaming to you? How does it make you feel, what do you experience when gaming?

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Is this the guy with the Mcdonalds Burger? Either way its generic as heck.

This was amazing

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone listens to what's popular. Stop thinking that everyone knows who you know.

That's not the issue here. It's the constant barrage of cute "Who?" posts whenever there is a thread about a Black/Hip-Hop artist. There have been a number of prior Travis Scott threads before (check the Fortnite one out if you want a good example) and yet this "who" shit happens like clockwork.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

I legit only found out who Travis Scott is two weeks ago. Not everyone listens to what's popular. Stop thinking that everyone knows who you know. I could name an endless amount of names and bands that you would have no idea who they are, would that be considered racism?

There has been a trend that whenever a thread featuring a popular black artist is mentioned that tonnes of people come in to proclaim that they don't know them or to downplay the importance of their influence.

Considering Travis Scott has had multiple threads about him featuring in some high profile business deals, such as Fortnite (where I first heard about him) and McDonald's, this has been an ongoing issue.

The fact this tends to happen more to POC, the mods are now taking a harsher stance on drive by 'who' shit posting since it takes 5 seconds to search Google and see that he is one of the world's most popular music artists right now but instead people will gladly show off their ignorance in either poor posting etiquette or plain racism.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020

The Xbox one is, at the least, trying to sell you on the kinds of experiences you could have with an Xbox. It's obviously dramatized, and isn't actual gameplay... But it's at least selling a games console.

This ad just reads as corporate arrogance. Acting like a fucking PlayStation is the next great human achievement on the level of space travel or archeological discovery.. It's Sony sniffing their own farts. Not even Apple runs ads like this.

Comparing your console launch to Amelia Earhart's flight is certainly a choice, though. Haha.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Is this the guy with the Mcdonalds Burger? Either way its generic as heck.

This was amazing

That trailer was absolutely fantastic and really hit me in the nostalgia feels. Still super impressed by it all these years later.

I like the new one but as others have said its pretty generic and feels like it could be for gaming in general. Which personally (as someone not getting a PS5 for a long while) is no bad thing really as its pretty cool to get hyped for next gen even if it is elsewhere!

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great ad.

Era and similar communities really struggle with not being the target of these marketing campaigns. Sony is pitching the PS5 at a much wider audience than hardcore gamer communities and that's reflected in the marketing. Not all of it is going to strike a chord with Era but Era doesn't represent the wider market.

It's interesting to compare with Microsoft because XSX is firmly pitched at hardcore gamers. They can do this because they have XSS for the wider market. In comparison with MS, Sony is trying to cover more bases with one product and so the marketing is slightly different and will often be less appealing to hardcore gamers.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
For the player since 1995 remains GOAT, and the perfect day was also great. This isn't bad, but I prefer PS4 trailers to this tbh.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The narration is weird, like a placeholder read. Am I missing something, is this some famous speech? Because it feels really off.

(Also, if it turns out to be something historically important, I apologize for my ignorance)

Edit: Ok, so I guess it's Travis Scott, judging by other comments. His read still feels way off, like he's bored with the material he's reading, but it could be just me.

Edit 2: I see quite a few people asking who Travis Scott is and some people getting offended - I straight up replied after watching the video, had no idea this was a thing. I honestly didn't know. I'm not really into modern music, rap or otherwise, certainly not to a point that I can recognize his voice.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Who is Travis Scott:

Travis Scott (formerly stylized as Travi$ Scott), is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, and record producer. Scott's musical style has been described as a fusion of traditional hip hop, lo-fi and ambient.

In 2018, his highly anticipated Astroworld was released to widespread critical acclaim and produced his first Billboard Hot 100 number one single, "Sicko Mode".

After the release of his single "Franchise" in October 2020, Scott became the first artist in Billboard chart history to have three songs debut at number one in less than a year.
As of 2020, Scott has sold over 45 million certified records in the US.[9] He has been nominated for six Grammy Awards and won a Billboard Music Award.

Travis Scott is the mascot of his own mcdonalds meal
travis-scott.png

He performed a digital concert in fortnite to millions of players

TLDR He's a very famous rapper popular with the youth.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

I think people are seeing what they want to see and overlooking all the times people say the same thing about all the other celebs that we hear the names of CONSTANTLY but don't know who they are or why they are famous- especially these days when you can be famous for..... just.... being famous? Or rich? Or a popular person on the internet? It's also incredibly hard to keep up with.

I think sometimes the comments aren't necessary in threads, but when it comes to one of the biggest brands on the planet choosing someone to represent their brand, it's a valid criticism that the person they chose isn't someone that everyone in the target market has heard of or follows. If they had chosen Fredrik Thordendal to be their brand ambassador I wouldn't be upset with people for not knowing who one of the biggest most famous progressive metal guitarists on the planet is, who pioneered an entire new genre (and their subgenres) almost by accident.

That said, anyone who comments those things needs to at least make it known that their obliviousness to the celeb in question is concerning, and then of course go and do the googling. It looks like TS could be a good fit for PS from a marketing standpoint and a good way to connect with fans without it being so corporatey. I'm fine with these kinds of ads, even without much gameplay. We'll get plenty of sizzle reels- I mean, this is Sony afterall lol.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The Xbox one is, at the least, trying to sell you on the kinds of experiences you could have with an Xbox. It's obviously dramatized, and isn't actual gameplay... But it's at least selling a games console.

This ad just reads as corporate arrogance. Acting like a fucking PlayStation is the next great human achievement on the level of space travel or archeological discovery.. It's Sony sniffing their own farts. Not even Apple runs ads like this.

Apple's ads are always focused on the products and what you can do with them. And they are generally tasteful, in my opinion. Even excellent.

This was visually nice, but as you said - it feels a bit weird to compare the PS5 to the moon landing. But ok, it's nicely done.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are seeing what they want to see and overlooking all the times people say the same thing about all the other celebs that we hear the names of CONSTANTLY but don't know who they are or why they are famous- especially these days when you can be famous for..... just.... being famous? Or rich? Or a popular person on the internet? It's also incredibly hard to keep up with.

I think sometimes the comments aren't necessary in threads, but when it comes to one of the biggest brands on the planet choosing someone to represent their brand, it's a valid criticism that the person they chose isn't someone that everyone in the target market has heard of or follows. If they had chosen Fredrik Thordendal to be their brand ambassador I wouldn't be upset with people for not knowing who one of the biggest most famous progressive metal guitarists on the planet is, who pioneered an entire new genre (and their subgenres) almost by accident.

That said, anyone who comments those things needs to at least make it known that their obliviousness to the celeb in question is concerning, and then of course go and do the googling. It looks like TS could be a good fit for PS from a marketing standpoint and a good way to connect with fans without it being so corporatey. I'm fine with these kinds of ads, even without much gameplay. We'll get plenty of sizzle reels- I mean, this is Sony afterall lol.
It's not "valid criticism" if you don't know who a hugely relevant pop culture/hip-hop icon is, and the "who?"s are just the usual toxic Era gamer drivel. Sony is marketing at their overwhelmingly largest user base — normal ass people who play games and don't go on ERA to make snide/smug comments about objectively famous artists.

This shit is sometimes exhausting, it's as if people seriously can't see even an inch outside their bubbles and want to feel some kind of gamer superiority over ignorance and being out of touch.

Anyway, good ad.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It's OK, but I think Travis' voice was drown in those sound effects...

It would be better if they could tone down the background SFX.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

Comparing your console launch to Amelia Earhart's flight is certainly a choice, though. Haha.
Apple's ads are always focused on the products and what you can do with them. And they are generally tasteful, in my opinion. Even excellent.

This was visually nice, but as you said - it feels a bit weird to compare the PS5 to the moon landing. But ok, it's nicely done.

Sony's whole marketing slogan for PS5 is #PlayHasNoLimits. These ads (this one in particular) represents breaking barrier limits, hence the space exploration, exploration, etc. in the ad. While it doesn't show games in particular, it gives the subtle message of PlayStation and reaches a wider audience than say hardcore gamers. They already have that audience or least ways to reach that audience differently than something like this ad. This is pretty much the MO of Sony's console launch marketing since PS2 days.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
I don't see why they release ads without gameplay footage... I get it, it's supposed to evoke a feeling rather than see content...? It appears to evoke the idea that PS5 exceeds the limits of what is known today.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Sony's whole marketing slogan for PS5 is #PlayHasNoLimits. These ads (this one in particular) represents breaking barrier limits, hence the space exploration, exploration, etc. in the ad. While it doesn't show games in particular, it gives the subtle message of PlayStation and reaches a wider audience than say hardcore gamers. They already have that audience or least ways to reach that audience differently than something like this ad. This is pretty much the MO of Sony's console launch marketing since PS2 days.

I understand the purpose of the ad.

I still find it pretentious.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
PS4 had at least funny/cool ads that were implementing games lore etc into live action... these "epic" ads are fucking boring and I hope they die -_- both ms and Sony do them and ugh, does this really make someone buy a console?