• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, right now it's all Xbox all the time. At this point I'm leaning getting an Xbox first, which I never thought would be the case.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
considering the covid19, i think the current approach is fine and are working to their favor for generating ps5 buzz.

like they doing sotp and providing drip feed information where the mass keep wanting more thus talking alot about.
sure, in consumer pov the lack of information isnt good but in pr and ad/com stand point for generating buzz, it definitely killed it. like rember that sotp where they only showed the ps5 design? ppl were talking about it non stop even tho there wasnt a price tag.

if it wasnt for covid and also the protest a while back, think the information we gotten will be shifted to announced early. but it wont be change on how the information will be given i. drip feed format tho.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
They are playing the premium/desirability angle really well. Keeping the interest at all-times high. And at the same time they HAVE showed their games running on the machine. So, even tho for me could be better, it's certainly effective.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Mix of "Show don't tell." and "Silence is golden." I guess.

Seems to be working for the most part too. It's only when Jim said stuff did I see people freaking out, interpretations of what 'could' have been said etc.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
EXACTLY! Why can't Sony behave how I want them to behave?
It's not that all. It's a critique. No company is perfect. Some of you really take this stuff very personally. Also, we discuss game companies here. Their strategy, business, and so on. Managing a console launch is part of that.

Feel free to disagree, but to dismiss criticism as unfair is silly.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
"What are your thoughts?"

The criticism is unfair.

"Your thoughts are silly."

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Feb 8, 2018
The PR seems good but they would be better up had they told everyone from the get go what the cross-gen games are. Makes the situation more confusing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that all. It's a critique. No company is perfect. Some of you really take this stuff very personally. Also, we discuss game companies here. Their strategy, business, and so on. Managing a console launch is part of that.

Feel free to disagree, but to dismiss criticism as unfair is silly.
I am not taking anything personal. We almost to launch in an environment where COVID stopped all traditional marketing with conferences in lieu of everything we've had up to this point. I have no expectations for marketing. Get the information however you can as soon as possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
My only issue with their communication is that they were misleading on a couple games being cross gen. They should've just said they were from the beginning. It's not like they don't still have PS5 only games at launch, so just be up front. I'm very disappointed in Horizon being on PS4.

But other than this, I have no problems.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
1) Why can't Sony cater to me, a gaming enthusiast?

2) Don't they care about sales, Xbox is looking better and better to me!

3) What do they have to hide???

etc

Lol, but I am honestly surprised at the way they have been marketing this thing and would have expected a lot more detail on how BC works, so I would not be surprised if they were working hard to get that up to a respectable level (probably won't be as a consumer friendly as Microsoft's solution). Of course, this all speculation.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Ok this is ridiculous, there's nothing wrong with releasing info via the PS Blog. It has plenty of visibility

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
They'll be fine. The negative pr talk hasn't invaded mainstream social media the way the Xbox One negative publicity did. Also while Microsoft has communicated a lot better and is getting a lot more positive buzz, it is not being delivered with the same newsworthy swagger as Sony did back at the launch of the PS5. The one thing that has invaded social media is the demand for a PS5. I think the PS5 is firmly on track to repeat as market leader. It will take a major misstep in my opinion for that not to happen. It would be a different story if Microsoft had a killer launch title in combination with a cheaper price (on the Series X) and a greater supply of units (from what I've seen, they've made even less systems than Sony).

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
These "problems" are greatly exaggerated.
Enthusiasts are excited, the console is sold out for the rest of the year and they have a ton of momentum. I legit have enough information on whether I want to buy a PS5.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
These "problems" are greatly exaggerated.
Enthusiasts are excited, the console is sold out for the rest of the year and they have a ton of momentum. I legit have enough information on whether I want to buy a PS5.
I said the business realities are not affected here. The title clearly says the PS5 is a success.

They're clearly going for a less is more marketing model.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Agree that Sony has dropped the ball in communication. To be specific, Jim Ryan has dropped the ball early in this race. We should not have to rely on Geoff Keighley to get the pre-ordering information. That shit was Jim Ryan's job. I feel like Sony is on cruise control and doesn't take PS5 launch as a big of an event as they did to PS4. At this point in 2013, we already saw Shu shilling on a couch showing PS4 UI on stage. We still see none of that for PS5. It's quite baffling.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the hyper-enthusiast bubble, Sony is absolutely killing it. They are likely about to have the highest-selling launch of any console in history. Spider-Miles will clean up in Nov. Demon's will draw the core crowd. Social media engagement is off the charts. Sony is reacting appropriately to the overwhelming majority of its consumers.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly don't understand why we didn't get a state of play today and instead we have had blog posts about sackboy and spiderman and stuff.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their events were better than xbox, their news reach more people. I think they are doing a good job seeing the results

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, but I am honestly surprised at the way they have been marketing this thing and would have expected a lot more detail on how BC works, so I would not be surprised if they were working hard to get that up to a respectable level (probably won't be as a consumer friendly as Microsoft's solution). Of course, this all speculation.
They've already explained how BC works.
PS4 games will play like PS4 games. Boost mode will help games reach higher framerates and resolution if the game is unlocked. 99% of PS4 games will work on PS5.

That's all.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I am not taking anything personal. We almost to launch in an environment where COVID stopped all traditional marketing with conferences in lieu of everything we've had up to this point. I have no expectations for marketing. Get the information however you can as soon as possible.
You said who cares if it is reactive and if I knew Sony's marketing plan. Of course I don't lol. I don't work at Sony. My point was an opinion. If you don't care, fine. But that's my perception based on how they've communicated.

You can disagree, but your approach is basically, is that I don't know. We obviously lol. I'm offering my POV.

Do political commentators know why Trump chose his debate style last night? No, but they provided their feedback on it. That's why I'm pushing back.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the average person completely understands what PS5 is and is excited for it. The generations thing makes sense to everyone who isn't trying to be upset about nothing and the general perception of PS5 is perfectly fine.

Resetera is typically a negative place that picks apart every little thing. You can't really expect Sony to try to cater to a site like this with people that will never be satisfied.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
They've already explained how BC works.
PS4 games will play like PS4 games. Boost mode will help games reach higher framerates and resolution if the game is unlocked. 99% of PS4 games will work on PS5.

That's all.
I mean possible enhanacements for 1st party titles and such. I don't think that's entirely off the table.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
They really have been poor. All I keep seeing and hearing about is Xbox...and people 100% sold on a PS5.

I guess they don't need to sell it hard since it seems obvious PS5 is gonna "win" but they seem to be doing the absolute minimum in marketing it. MS has done a far better job this time around.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
We actually don't want them to market stuff well or spend all their budget on doing that, we should let the quality of the games/platforms do the talking, not the marketing. Otherwise we get a lot of 'bad' games shown as what people think of the medium and it hurts the industry in general.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
We actually don't want them to market stuff well or spend all their budget on doing that, we should let the quality of the games/platforms do the talking, not the marketing. Otherwise we get a lot of 'bad' games shown as what people think of the medium and it hurts the industry in general.
Lol...I actually can't tell if this is a joke or not.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
It's a little unfair to say PlayStation has no 'personalities', Hermen Hulst just hasn't had the chance to be the 'face' of the company yet due to having no opportunities to helm conferences because of Covid. Give him a few E3 type events to helm over the next few years and I'm sure people will grow to love him as they love Shawn.

As to the main question, yes Sony hasn't gone a great job of launching the PS5 imo and it's sold well down to the sheer strength of the brand more than anything PlayStation have done. Not that it really matters, PS5 will live or die on the strength of its games over the next few years more than whatever PlayStation do or say right now. It is weird though that they seem so passive in the face of a lot of aggression coming from their main competitor.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
They're clearly doing a good job with the mainstream audience with their "our brand is the hot shit and check these first party games out" Nintendoesque minimalist approach, but for some reason they just stopped engaging almost entirely with their most hardcore fanbase, they basically don't seem to care about that anymore, and while it probably doesn't affect their sales overall it's still disheartening for us gaming enthusiasts.

Nov 23, 2017
Honestly, I think they were caught off by how well Microsoft's ecosystem strategy has been put into place. They didn't invest the kind of resources into that unlike Microsoft and they didn't think they needed to. Time will tell on how this all shakes out.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I think the marketing doesn't work for Era but has been more than effective with the masses. Miscommunication is felt for us that are paying attention to every detail. Enthusiast will jump with both feet to next gen without much pandering because the games are there.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The other way you could look at this is, with a month and some change still to go, they potentially have dozens of massively exciting announcements left to make. So they could theoretically sprint to the finish line.

I mean we still don't have hands on impressions or know anything about the UI which is sounding like a major shake up, while Microsoft has already played pretty much every card.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've just been getting PS3 flashbacks the entire leadup to this gen. Sony feels like they're so unbelievably confident right now that they feel justified in this "radio silence followed by occasional spurts of information" strategy they've been doing for the past two years.

It also probably doesn't help that Jim Ryan is honestly just not a good public leader. I don't know anything about how he operates behind the scenes, but his public-facing interviews are always very bad ("why would anyone use this?", etc) and his presence in Sony events is markedly less charismatic than most of Sony's past leaders. Even Andrew House felt like a better showman than Jim does right now. Sony needs a better spokesperson than they currently have.

Now, for clarity, I don't like Phil Spencer all that much either, and I feel like his "tell people exactly what they want to hear all the time, even if you know you'll have to backpedal it in a month" strategy isn't the ideal way to sell a console, but at least Xbox is communicating with their fans. By comparison, Sony is acting like they already have this in the bag when Microsoft has been making a lot of very strong moves to knock them off their perch.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's poor PR not even a controversial take. This video has great points. And this is from a huge PS fan channel. It was posted this week.

It is very sober and fair.

comments are also reasonable for YT lol

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'm wondering if they are just going to unload all the info in one day. Because right now the lack of info is just annoying the enthusiasts and doesn't really seem to be affecting the more casual crowd from what I've seen so far.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean the system is going to sell but it's painfully obvious they got some things they really need to get out in front of and the longer they wait the more negative speculation will continue. Addressing cross saves for starters. What the hell is going on there.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The global hype for PS5 is astronomical so it seems that they do something right, but yeah a few things could be clarified. But it is not worrying nor arrogant that we haven't seen stuff like the UI and such features yet, it's 2 months til release it'll arrive.

However Sony really had to do a 180 regarding their marketing approach. Late last year they were gladly announcing that they would be at over 1000 events this year or similar, which obviously didn't work out. So in this case COVID is really the culprit of the current "secrecy"

May 12, 2020
Today it seem we got a huge info dump on their blog. Like waterhose of information after the PR mishaps with their generations talk.

I get COVID19 is a thing, but I wonder why no PS State of Play to look more into this stuff than just some trailers on blogposts? And all at once? Why not give each a day or to marinate and keep fans sated.

The PS4 had a massive launch but comms were way better if I recall and even with a more modest launch library (Knack lol). I'm sure the PS5 will be a massive success when it is all said and done, but, as an enthusiast, the PR/Marketing has been kinda wack so far.

What are your thoughts here?

Bring back Shawn Layden lol.

I swear I see 5 of these threads everyday lol. PATIENCE is a virtue.