• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There marketing and the whole division seems to be doing great, selling out in minutes.
If sells starts too take a nosedive we can have these threads again.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 will be the leader next-gen again, but I do agree the communication should be a lot better than right now.

Oct 27, 2017
The pre-order success is due to the way they're approaching their marketing for the most part. So, even though Era, and some enthusiast/hardcore Internet places don't feel like they're doing well, that doesn't mean their message isn't reaching their intended audience.
I think the pre-order success is due to it being the PS5

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Well...i will repeat what i have posted already

The whole PS5 thing is giving PS3 rollout vibes at the moment and that is something myself and for sure some other people have not expected at all.
Wasn't the big issue with the PS3 the absolutely horrid price compared to the competition, a one year delay in launch and a lackluster lineup of games? I feel like all of those are 1,000,000% better going into the PS5.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Announcing a state of play leads to high expectation and inevitable anger and disappointment when it doesn't deliver, we're seeing Nintendo just dropping directs randomly now for the same reason. Blog posts and info dumps are just safer and avoid that problem.

It's sad the toxicity of the gaming community has led to a situation where companies are terrified to draw too much attention to themselves. Even when a livestream does happen these days it comes with strict warnings of length and the things that won't be talked about to try and manage expectations.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Feels like they are playing another chicken game with MS. As of right now, I pretty much know everything I need to know about the XSX/S except for launch games. This means Sony could have all eyes of them weeks before launch when they start dropping more console info/ui/teardowns/gameplay trailers and everything else.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Wheres the hardware teardown?

Wheres the "advanced" cooling solution? (given the PS5 big size)

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
It's sad the toxicity of the gaming community has led to a situation where companies are terrified to draw too much attention to themselves. Even when a livestream does happen these days it comes with strict warnings of length and the things that won't be talked about to try and manage expectations.
Yup. People are at fever pitch with a new generation within reach. They have to tread carefully.
And I say this as someone getting a bit fed up of waiting for info drops tbh.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think "marketing" problems are greatly exaggerated around here, especially because we are not the target market for most of this marketing.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Sony's communication could DEFINITELY be better. But this isn't PS3 launch bad, and certainly not Xbox One bad.
They're competitive on price and have a couple of good looking launch games. I'm willing to cut them a little slack due to no E3 and Covid.
But we've been in this a while, they really should start improving messaging soon.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Everything but the games themselves has been a flop for me.

If it wasn't for people here combing through the blog and tweets making threads I wouldn't know shit about this thing or even when to preorder.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Today it seem we got a huge info dump on their blog. Like waterhose of information after the PR mishaps with their generations talk.

I get COVID19 is a thing, but I wonder why no PS State of Play to look more into this stuff than just some trailers on blogposts? And all at once? Why not give each a day or to marinate and keep fans sated.

The PS4 had a massive launch but comms were way better if I recall and even with a more modest launch library (Knack lol). I'm sure the PS5 will be a massive success when it is all said and done, but, as an enthusiast, the PR/Marketing has been kinda wack so far.

What are your thoughts here?

Bring back Shawn Layden lol.

If it's a success then, perhaps it wasn't as bad as we perceived it to be?

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The overall marketing has been fine - hitting all the right notes

Its the finer minutes and detail that is not being communicated well.

Enthusiast forums like these always loses its shit when mega-corps don't stroke their dicks quite right.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I have no Idea what's going on but their communication has been a total disaster. MS has done a much better job imo

Oct 30, 2017
Has it been a disaster as a lot of people like to paint it to be ?

Maybe this their strategy and from preorders we can see a lot of demand is there for ps5.

And they are releasing Demon Souls Remake, Spider Man Miles Morals, Destruction All Stars, Sackboy and a free full astrobot game to boot. Just for launch.

If microsoft did not buy Bethesda you would not be seeing alot of the positive spin on the series s/x as have been evident recently , they are launching 2 consoles with 0 flagship exclusives.

So we should be patient and be happy that this generation will be more competitive. No competition equal complacency

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Please explain what's wrong with using their main tool to communicate with their audience as... a tool to communicate with their audience.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Feels like they are playing another chicken game with MS. As of right now, I pretty much know everything I need to know about the XSX/S except for launch games. This means Sony could have all eyes of them weeks before launch when they start dropping more console info/ui/teardowns/gameplay trailers and everything else.
Yeah, the posture seems so reactive. It's very weird.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think their marketing has been that bad to be honest. It is just when you compare it to Microsoft's is when it becomes a problem. For me, I am just ready for these things to come out. Console wars always heighten this type of thing. Normal people who don't talk games 24/7 aren't really paying attention to any of this.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's two things;

1. it's a different team in charge now. They don't seem to be going for the same vibe they had for PS4 launch, and I think they've made some missteps in judging what people think are important.

2. MS has had a really good month, but it seems most have forgotten that we spent the majority of 2020 saying the same about them. Most of June/July was trying to work out exactly what cross gen was, what the hell they were doing with Xbox live, and what the fuck happened to Craig? Essentially, COVID has fucked everyone at some point or another, it's just currently Sony's turn to feel the heat.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Their marketing/pr right now sucks. So many unknowns regarding the switch to next gen. Save states, upgrades on their most recent games, etc.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Probably worth pointing out that they were the ones publicly saying they were going to hit as many public conventions as possible throughout the year. I think if their strategy was to constantly have people playing PS5 all year then COVID basically torpedoed their entire strategy.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the things we get worked up over here don't actually matter to the majority.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
I have no Idea what's going on but their communication has been a total disaster. MS has done a much better job imo
They also have less to communicate haha. Gamepass is a known product and they don't have any first party launch games to promote. All they have to do is show what the console looks like and what the U.I. looks like and that's it really.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Their messaging has been atrocious, but the amount of hype and pre orders have proven that the Playstation brand is much stronger than any messaging mishap.

Sony knows that. They know that they can "coast" for now, and people will still buy and defend their stances.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Its the mysterious "leave them wanting more" method mixed with "we are the market leader and won't be rushed". In short, it's a return to form for Arrogant Sony.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The main thing is that we're getting new information now, so let's hope it continues to flow from here. None of this has anything to do with Shawn Layden.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Enthusiast forum, we complain about everything and complain more than we play.

Unless you play Destiny, in which you complain while you play.
nKTkABG.jpg

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
they have their time table, seems to be working out just fine for them.
getting consoles to youtubers one week before or after will not change anything.

they handily delivered on price with digital edition and launch lineup. that was the main thing for me.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think Microsoft has done a better job presenting their console(s) and it's features, but I wouldn't say Sony's is anything like a disaster especially when it comes to games which they nailed and arguable the most important thing for the public consumers.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the positioning, tho. It's not about the internals at all. Of course we don't have access to that. Weird take.
So anything Sony does after Xbox is reactive? What do you wish would happen that hasn't happened yet but could still happen? We know people will get their hands on them soon, so what do you want?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like info is starting to come out, the PSBlog has been updating a lot since then.
Also, different strategies it seems.
I know some people are concerned, but I wouldn't think much about it. System preorders were sold out immediately and they will be fine.
We will probably get a big blow out soon. Sony is just choosing to approach their communication differently.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The messaging and planning is so poorly organized and communicate, it is certainly a stark contrast from the PS4 launch.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The main thing is that we're getting new information now, so let's hope it continues to flow from here. None of this has anything to do with Shawn Layden.
Shawn was not responsible with the Generations confusion, I'm talking about the whole PS5 marketing cycle.