• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I like the PS4 UI but it's always nice to see a fresh coat of paint, really interested to see what new ideas they come up with.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the PS4 UI, but I'm all for an overhaul if it's snappy and easy to use.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Excited to see the change/overhaul. That said, I don't have any issues with the PS4 UI/OS. It stutters if I'm jumping from game to some app, and it won't let me delete some of the media apps. Otherwise, I had no complaints.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I think he means that MS has announced that (after the next update) the XBO and the XBX will share the same dashboard. Some people didn't like those news, and the timing on this news is, well, curious :)

I see. I guess the marketing tit for tat is underway. The really big one will be which one bites the bullet and announces pricing first.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
This is how it should be, a new console with entirely new UI designed to take advantage of the hardware. Can't wait to see it.

WHO IS SHE?!
11297.jpg
Ratchet from another universe

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I hope it's good, looking forward to seeing it. Love the PS3 style glitter that we got teased in the show. I hope there's a lot of customisability around the background and themes in general.

There must be a better way to arrange our stuff beyond just a row of tiles of most recently used games and kinda clunky looking folders. I hope they can come up with something genuinely useful but ultimately clean, oh yeah and super fast which with this machine feels like it is guaranteed (CPU and blistering SSD).

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I really didn't mind the PS4 UI, and if they decide to stick with what was shown with the patent, I really wouldn't mind a beefed up PS4 XMB hybrid. So long as it's fast (and it obviously will be), organized, and as feature rich as the PS4 UI, I'm fine with wherever they take it.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I really loved the PS3's UI. I loved the elegant look. I loved the clicky sounds. The organization was fantastic.

I get that people now tend to use one app for each media instead of downloading to the drive (Spotify/etc for music, Netflix/etc for movies & TV) so the "one row of recent apps" makes "more sense", I just hate it.

Feb 1, 2018
If "100% overhaul" means they refocused it on useless social bullshit and the bloatware (PS Now, PS Video, Share Factory, PS this, PS that) you can't delete then I'll be disappointed.

PS3 XMB is GOAT-tier UI/UX design. Simple, fast, essential

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
You can't sort titles alphabetically on PS3. Maybe that changed over the years, but last time I tried it wasn't an option.
Even now on PS4, you can only organize within folders and you have to do it manually.

I'm confused, you can go into your library and everything is sorted by default A-Z. If you mean assorted on the main list, no, but I've always only shown 10 titles anyway because it's not the best way to jump to games anyway.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
"Speed" seems to be the central theme around almost every aspect of the PS5. Fast. Smooth. Seamless. No loading.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
I'm confused, you can go into your library and everything is sorted by default A-Z. If you mean assorted on the main list, no, but I've always only shown 10 titles anyway because it's not the best way to jump to games anyway.
Yes, I mean the main list. You can't sort it at all and it's a mess.
I just want basic sorting instead of anything fancy.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully soon is real soon. The startup screen they briefly showed Thursday was pretty nice.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all i ask for is instantaneous loading of the create mode button menu

some games like cod practically take a full minute to load and become usable on ps4

Oct 30, 2017
Best first post ever!

The PS4 UI is a desaster. I still can't navigate or find what i want to and it's 7 years by now...

XMB was the best thing ever. For the PS3 and for TV-systems.
I like the XMB, but what do you get lost on with the OS?

Idk why exactly we need with the XMB. I don't really think we need columns for videos, pictures, songs, etc.

I just want to sort games and apps as I choose.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's always exciting getting a glimpse of the new ui.
I think the PS3 and PS4 have had really good interfaces for the most part. Even if the xmb especially got a bit too laggy and overloaded towards the end of that gen.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, I mean the main list. You can't sort it at all and it's a mess.
I just want basic sorting instead of anything fancy.

I guess I don't understand your use-case so I have a hard time understanding why sorting alphabetically in the main list and having to scroll through a giant list to get to The Last of Us which you've been playing for a bit would be ideal for anyone. What would be the point of that? There are issues with the UI, I think all the media stuff sucks, thankfully I don't use it but have no idea why anyone would want what you're asking for here. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Let me delete these dumb ass PlayStation apps so I don't need a folder called SHIT

Should be like an Android Home Screen honestly.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they tease the new UI on the reveal? The gold sparkly screen that had the Press PS Button on screen? I'm not imagining this am I?

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 UI was so uninspired and boring. The little they showed of the PS5 UI was already 100 times more interesting than that.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Expecting a show with UI/UX...
then another for BC/Boost mode PS4 games demonstration .

Atleast 2 more shows from them.