• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with what your saying. I think the ps5 is easily another 120 million plus seller. If xbox manages 80 million that would be huge. And if that's the case this gen really isn't that competitive.
I would not look so much into competitiveness as far as comparing sales between companies and look at if Xbox Series does as well as or better than the XBO.

In the end, thats all that really matters. A huge drop off the in wrong direction from XBO numbers...and that would be a problem.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not. But it is going to be progressively harder to tease any useful comparative information out aside from top-line revenue given the wider strategy of both, especially once ABK is under their fold.
I'm not trying to sound console war ish, I have a love all 3 current gen consoles but yes I think it will. I think it was Ampere that said that series will be outsold by ps5 by double this year.

Obviously supply has messed that up for Sony since Q1 was especially rough, but as is, it seems like industry experts except Series to do well at 9-11M units a year but Sony still forecasts selling 18M this fiscal year. Sony also forecasts being able to sell "ps4 peak" level units in FY23-24 which means 20M+

Of course console sales aren't the only indicator of success, with game pass, Xbox output on pc, etc. but in terms of pure console sales I don't see any reason why, unless ps5 demand falls off a cliff or Xbox demand increases from already amazing rates by, well 50-100%, why Sony won't end up at least with a 1.5:1 sales advantage.
TLDR: Xbox seems like it's gonna move 9-11M Series consoles this year and per year. Sony has improved stock and is forecasting 18-20M+ sales in subsequent years.

Console sales are of course not everything but I do kinda expect this gen to be 60-80M Xbox, 120-130M Ps5.

lifeis_g000d

Banned
Jun 12, 2022
User Banned (permanent): Troll account
Considering the Series consoles are outselling any Xbox console in history at this point in their lifetime, Microsoft is in a better place culturally and optically than they've ever been, Game Pass is the best value in gaming, their big games and acquisition haven't even started to hit yet, and the fact that they are able manufacturer more consoles, particularly the Series S & this chip shortage isn't going away any time soon.... Yes?

You'd have to be blindfolded to not recognize that this generation is absolutely going to be very competitive.

And that's not even touching on some of Sony's failing's this generation.
What has Sony failed at this gen? Please stop being a delusional fanboy.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Considering the Series consoles are outselling any Xbox console in history at this point in their lifetime, Microsoft is in a better place culturally and optically than they've ever been, Game Pass is the best value in gaming, their big games and acquisition haven't even started to hit yet, and the fact that they are able manufacturer more consoles, particularly the Series S & this chip shortage isn't going away any time soon.... Yes?

You'd have to be blindfolded to not recognize that this generation is absolutely going to be very competitive.

And that's not even touching on some of Sony's failing's this generation.
Care to elaborate on Sony's failings? They seem to be the strongest they've ever been like Microsoft is.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Another aspect to consider is that PS6 might not have a disc drive. It happened before with the PSP and Vita where digital buyers could import their whole library to the next gen console but physical UMD owners were stuck.
Yeah for sure. That's what I meant in my last sentence, where I want to keep access to my stuff. Like if I had gotten the Series S instead of the X all my physical games would have become drink coasters - so it's all digital for me given that at some point it's inevitable that disk drives go the way of the dodo

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So it looks like Sony still plans to hit their goal of 18 million PS5s this FY, right? I imagine the 6nm production line will help them get consoles out faster. So we should probably expect to see a dramatic increase in PS5 units shipped going forward. It feels like they've already been flooding markets with em in July.

Then if they plan to exceed the PS4 sales figures next FY as they've stated, they'll need to ship over 23 million PS5s. That will be the FY that sees Spider-Man 2, FF16, FF7 Rebirth and who knows what else. That should give us a decent idea of their planned trajectory, I'd think.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United states was always close even in the ps4 generation? and I believe the difference between the ps3 and 360 ended up being fairly negligible.

By all accounts the demand for ps5 is far outpacing the ps4 Like it would make sense if we have two 80 million consoles if one has more demand and the other is losing demand compared to previous gen. Rest of your points just sound like an ad from a marketing rep.

Like I said its too early given we dont even know what the sell through ceiling for each could be once supply clears up. It will improve rest of the year and in the years ahead.
This feels like a praising of MS and jab to Sony that doesn´t really answer the user´s question...

And you do realize that there is already a 5 million+ lead the PS5 has despite production issues even with Xbox having a $299 console that is always in stock, right? There is no possible way that it doesn´t grow to a 10´s of millions difference once production normalizes just by how they are performing now

We're 2 years into the generation. This chip shortage isn't going to just disappear. The chip shortage itself has and is going to continue to leave a massive impact on this generation of consoles.

To just hand waive it off as "we've had a ship shortage so the numbers don't mean anything" is asinine.

And regardless, you're ignoring the fact that the chip shortage has allowed Microsoft to stay competitive just long enough for their heavy hitters to start showing up as these consoles become more available. The Activision/Blizzard acquisition, Call of Duty on Game Pass, Starfield exclusive, Elder Scrolls exclusive, Diablo IV on Game Pass, Perfect Dark, Fable, Avowed, etc.. etc.. etc..

Not to mention there's an impending recession and a $299 console with a free month of Game Pass that gives you all of the games above and more is one hell of a value proposition.

This generation is playing right into Microsoft's hands in many ways.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018
Digital downloads accounting for 79% is wow
I doubt it would be digital only but I won't be surprised if the digital SKU becomes the main one.

I'm surprised its already at 80% but I guess the pandemic and subscription services really accelerated the adoption of digital.

In the future, physical will more likely become an enthusiast/hobby segment much like the music industry.
I'm not surprised. There *some* talk about physical game here, which is a place for enthusiasts, but digital is mainstream for music, movies, TV, software and now games. It's just a matter of time, but I don't expect a large pushback from mainstream consumers.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I'm not surprised. There *some* talk about physical game here, which is a place for enthusiasts, but digital is mainstream for music, movies, TV, software and now games. It's just a matter of time, but I don't expect a large pushback from mainstream consumers.
I could see it being eased in. Like PS5 Slim could replace the digital console, while they still sell the regular chonky PS5 with a disc. That way (despite the near 80% digital split), even more people are accustomed to digital in time for a digital only PS6.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
You can sure as hell expect it from me, at the very least.

Those digital day 1 prices are f*cking insane.

Physical is always way cheaper.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Console sales are of course not everything but I do kinda expect this gen to be 60-80M Xbox, 120-130M Ps5.
Yeah my prediction is 80 M Xbox, 120 M PS5. PS5 will approximately match PS4 would be my guess, while Xbox sees a huge improvement over last gen. I mean 80M seems achievable at this point and that would be basically double their last gen sell through. I don't expect 50:50 world-wide, though in certain regions I would expect Xbox to be much more competitive or even win out (NA/Mexico for example)

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I'm not trying to sound console war ish, I have a love all 3 current gen consoles but yes I think it will. I think it was Ampere that said that series will be outsold by ps5 by double this year.

Obviously supply has messed that up for Sony since Q1 was especially rough, but as is, it seems like industry experts except Series to do well at 9-11M units a year but Sony still forecasts selling 18M this fiscal year. Sony also forecasts being able to sell "ps4 peak" level units in FY23-24 which means 20M+

Of course console sales aren't the only indicator of success, with game pass, Xbox output on pc, etc. but in terms of pure console sales I don't see any reason why, unless ps5 demand falls off a cliff or Xbox demand increases from already amazing rates by, well 50-100%, why Sony won't end up at least with a 1.5:1 sales advantage.
TLDR: Xbox seems like it's gonna move 9-11M Series consoles this year and per year. Sony has improved stock and is forecasting 18-20M+ sales in subsequent years.

I think it'll be closer with Bethesda & ABK impacts still having yet materialized in the public. Throw in GP with those publishers and the Series S affordability, and the gap will be much better than prior gen; the specific delta though I have no idea. Both are still supply constrained (XSX & PS5 specifically) with higher demand than last-gen so we don't really know what the ceiling is for each.

However, the main point is, we're going to have to move on from only assessing console metrics as the overall arbiter for each respective companies gaming health.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Definitely hasn't gone to plan for Sony, although not strictly their fault. I think they planned to blow the competition away out of the gate, and if it wasn't for the stock shortages and pandemic delays they would have probably done that, as key games like God of War would likely already be out. They might have even had PSVR2 on the market by now.

Ultimately all this means is that they just have to pivot and be smart, though. They're still in a strong position, they've just been dealt a bad hand. Frustrating, but it's all about how they adapt now.

Forum thread seems to still be forgetting just how strong PS is in territories that don't get talked about much, though. It may be the case that things are neck-and-neck in "headline" countries like the US and UK, but it's always important to remember how strong Sony's brand is worldwide. It all adds up.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I think everyone should be somewhat cautious in the short-term about how this generation compares to the last one for long term sales; COVID may have artificially boosted the first-year sales trend more than expected based off Sony's own comments:

"Total gameplay time for PlayStation users declined 15% year-on-year in Q1. Gameplay time in the month of June improved 3% compared with May and was down only 10% versus June 2021, but this is a much lower level of engagement than we anticipated in our previous forecast.
• We believe the primary reason for this is that the growth of the overall game market has recently decelerated as opportunities have increased for users to go outside due to a reduction in COVID-19 infections in key markets."

And if there is a global recession coming next year, this will make hitting targets even harder.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
For SIE to hit their 18m goal by March, the holiday quarter is gonna have to handle a big deal of it.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
What happened to him?

Busy with life and probably spending his energy and knowledge in a more fulfilling way. His detailed and well-informed contributions were too good for ERA, his threads rarely went beyond 5-6 pages as they were very analytical and didn't leave much room for concern trolling and clickbait titles...

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What has Sony failed at this gen? Please stop being a delusional fanboy.

I own and love my PS5. It's an incredible machine. The Last of Us Part II is my favorite game of all time. Stop with the childish name calling and baseless accusations.

Care to elaborate on Sony's failings? They seem to be the strongest they've ever been like Microsoft is.

Their forced introduction of the $70 games price point, their fumblings with a proper Smart Delivery esque solution, their frequent PR gaffes under Jim Ryan, being extremely slow on the draw with introducing a Game Pass competitor, their lacking backwards compatibility performance vs the competition, taking nearly 2 years to introduce basic features like VRR, ALL, 1440p support, game folders, etc, their "I believe in generations" gaffe after it was revealed that most of their games are cross-gen, their screwing over customers in the PS+/PS Now to PS+ tiers transition, their sexism lawsuits, their muzzling of studios on speaking out on trans rights, their lack of an easy to mass produce, inexpensive console intended for casual gamers & families, their god awful digital return policy, etc.. etc..

None of these singular failings are anything super critical, but they add up.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Yeah this is what I want to see more of. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of other great (public) measures of comparison, though.

Xbox barely report any numbers is the "issue" - only top-line revenue and the occasional release of GP numbers. No hardware numbers, game sales, profit margin etc.

Oct 27, 2017
ABK impacts still having yet materialized in the public.
you could be right, tho if Microsoft sticks to their word and COD and other AB games stay multi platform, I think ppl here will be surprised how well $70 versions on other consoles (switch 2 $70 MsRP here we go lol) will do despite being on game pass on Series/PC

However, the main point is, we're going to have to move on from only assessing console metrics as the overall arbiter for each respective companies gaming health.
true. I'm especially interested in streaming game metrics. I'm not high on it and I wonder how priorities may change for companies pursuing game streaming as the next big thing (like google, Sony, and Microsoft) if the market is still relatively small by 2026+. I wouldn't be surprised if streaming has a VR like super slow adoption rate over a decade or so.

I fully expect another gen, possibly 2 more gens of physical consoles with physical games imo

Alfz

Banned
Jun 14, 2022
User banned (permanent): Troll account
Yeah this is a pretty bad hit. Microsoft gaming had some declines but they were nowhere as bad as this.

It's interesting to me, how the PS 1st party games seem to be underperforming. Not sure why that is happening, are these IP's not as interesting to audiences as they used to? Weird phenomenon

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I expected bump in transition period due to PS5 supply limit and both games and console prices for PS5. But it looks more and more that they will need to open PSN for other platforms and services. PS Now users on PC are negligible.
This transition period had the combined effect of shorter PS5 stock and PS4 longevity discontinued. From their own reporting, 2024 will be the year that PS5 sales will push beyond PS4 so they will have to rely solely on this gen to grow users. Look at how the PS4 production collapsed and you have your answer as to why the low end was barely a factor this transition.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Their forced introduction of the $70 games price point, their fumblings with a proper Smart Delivery esque solution, their frequent PR gaffes under Jim Ryan, being extremely slow on the draw with introducing a Game Pass competitor, their lacking backwards compatibility performance vs the competition, taking nearly 2 years to introduce basic features like VRR, ALL, 1440p support, game folders, etc, their "I believe in generations" gaffe after it was revealed that most of their games are cross-gen, their screwing over customers in the PS+/PS Now to PS+ tiers transition, their sexism lawsuits, their muzzling of studios on speaking out on trans rights, their lack of an easy to mass produce, inexpensive console intended for casual gamers & families, their god awful digital return policy, etc.. etc..

Being real, most consumers probably don't really give a fuck about any of this -- which is the context of the thread.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
We're 2 years into the generation. This chip shortage isn't going to just disappear. The chip shortage itself has and is going to continue to leave a massive impact on this generation of consoles.

To just hand waive it off as "we've had a ship shortage so the numbers don't mean anything" is asinine.

And regardless, you're ignoring the fact that the chip shortage has allowed Microsoft to stay competitive just long enough for their heavy hitters to start showing up as these consoles become more available. The Activision/Blizzard acquisition, Call of Duty on Game Pass, Starfield exclusive, Elder Scrolls exclusive, Diablo IV on Game Pass, Perfect Dark, Fable, Avowed, etc.. etc.. etc..

Not to mention there's an impending recession and a $299 with a free month of Game Pass that gives you all of the games above and more is one hell of a value proposition.

I´m sure those things will help over time, but nowhere near to the effect you are hoping. PlayStation is far and wide a bigger brand and just has more appeal to consumers, something that Game Pass (which is widely available to the many PC gamers) or Starfield being exclusive won´t be able to create for Xbox.

The Xbox 360 was able to capitalize on the last recession, but Xbox had already become the dominant force in the US and only furthered it during that time. The fact that the Series S isn´t doing crazy numbers at this point just shows how far away Xbox still is from those 360 days, and it is largely because consumers aren´t avoiding PlayStation like the plague for all the reasons they did for the PS3 early on.

Xbox is more competitive than last gen but the biggest obstacle for the brand is the demand PlayStation still has and it would take something like Call of Duty being a permanent exclusive to shake the landscape, which MS has repeatedly said they wont do

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Definitely hasn't gone to plan for Sony, although not strictly their fault. I think they planned to blow the competition away out of the gate, and if it wasn't for the stock shortages and pandemic delays they would have probably done that, as key games like God of War would likely already be out. They might have even had PSVR2 on the market by now.

Ultimately all this means is that they just have to pivot and be smart, though. They're still in a strong position, they've just been dealt a bad hand. Frustrating, but it's all about how they adapt now.

Forum thread seems to still be forgetting just how strong PS is in territories that don't get talked about much, though. It may be the case that things are neck-and-neck in "headline" countries like the US and UK, but it's always important to remember how strong Sony's brand is worldwide. It all adds up.

Accurately put, in reality there is no competition, one product is in stock everywhere and the other has never been on a store shelf for two years.

And yet. Is still the "next gen" market leader.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is a pretty bad hit. Microsoft gaming had some declines but they were nowhere as bad as this.

It's interesting to me, how the PS 1st party games seem to be underperforming. Not sure why that is happening, are these IP's not as interesting to audiences as they used to? Weird phenomenon

Perhaps charging £70

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I wonder what will happen with PSVR2 sales. Seems like a lot of R&D and game dev investment has gone into it, but with price increases and requiring a Ps5 vs a Quest 2 (which just got bumped up..) how big of an appetite the market will have for it. The tech and overall package sounds quite compelling to dedicated fans, though. Could position them strongly for future VR products even outside PlayStation. Or could end up costing too much to invest in for a third generation.

I don't think it'll launch cheaper than $499 which is a lot to ask for an accessory.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I own and love my PS5. It's an incredible machine. The Last of Us Part II is my favorite game of all time. Stop with the childish name calling and baseless accusations.

Outside of Era and certain internet bubbles, has any of this stuff actually made a dent? Does any normal person care about Jim Ryan gaffes? The reason why they've seen this profit drop is for a number of reasons, none of which have been listed by this post.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Tbh 2.4 million units doesn't seem too bad considering they still say they were supply constrained heavily this quarter. Xbox seemingly shipped <2 million this quarter (they didn't give exact numbers) despite most SKUs being Series S which are easier to manufacture. There needs to be a big improvement in Q2 though if they still plan on shipping 18 million consoles during the fiscal year. You'd have to hope the Shangai situation being cleared up makes things easier

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Microsoft hasn't listed profit for their gaming division for a long time, so how do you know they haven't?

The only major decline is profits, which are listed and make logical sense with a new PSVR headset around the corner, expanded first party studios, etc etc. The revenue is down 2%, which is by far the most important indicator of growth, or lack thereof. Meanwhile Microsofts was down 7% I believe.

So I am not sure what you mean by hit.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
you could be right, tho if Microsoft sticks to their word and COD and other AB games stay multi platform, I think ppl here will be surprised how well $70 versions on other consoles (switch 2 $70 MsRP here we go lol) will do despite being on game pass on Series/PC

I don't doubt it'll still sell extremely well at full price, and we don't know what these existing agreements entail i.e., is there a clause that precludes including (new) CoD into GP until it is over? And the audience of CoD only players that would switch due to GP e.g. does it make financial sense if that is all you play given buying it outright is cheaper than a sub etc. Biggest boon for MS would be if they can add all CoDs (old and new) into GP packaged with the Series S as a casual unit. Too many unknowns to determine how it may play out.

true. I'm especially interested in streaming game metrics. I'm not high on it and I wonder how priorities may change for companies pursuing game streaming as the next big thing (like google, Sony, and Microsoft) if the market is still relatively small by 2026+. I wouldn't be surprised if streaming has a VR like super slow adoption rate over a decade or so.

I fully expect another gen, possibly 2 more gens of physical consoles with physical games imo

For now, streaming seems to be an add-on for existing GPU subscribers instead of an expansionary line. We're starting to see that slowly shift with Fortnite on iOS and the Samsung TV app, but again it remains to be seen how monetizable new users.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Era and certain internet bubbles, has any of this stuff actually made a dent? Does any normal person care about Jim Ryan gaffes? The reason why they've seen this profit drop is for a number of reasons, none of which have been listed by this post.
Being real, most consumers probably don't really give a fuck about any of this -- which is the context of the thread.
Reset Era != World
Half of everything there didn't go past a certain bubble.

Seriously 1440p VRR?? when did those ever matter to the mass consumers?
The PR disaster barely even trend on Twitter, where do you get the metrics that these failings equate to a bad generation for Sony?

The same Sony that has been pumping hits year after year? Even on PC?

The biggest thing holding back growth for them has been pandemic and global issues not most of these 'forum-social' matters you think it is.

If you look at the global situation right now and you don't even mention that but mention all these I find it hard to take posts like this serious.

I think it's already made some type of an impact in the more hardcore gaming community. I think it's fair to say that Sony has put themselves in a position of having a less-consumer-friendly reputation vs the competition.

Again, I'm not saying it's anything critical yet. It isn't. But I was asked me to list their failings.

The bigger ones are the $70 games price point, lack of a $299 console, and lack of a proper Game Pass competitor. Those could all play a major role looking forward with the impending economy/recession concerns, but time will tell.

Last edited:

Det

Jul 30, 2020

I don't know how you can make a comparative judgment call when MS don't report any numbers aside from top-line revenue.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Not sure what the doom and gloom is about. Now that playstation has actual competition, and not Xbox One and Wii U, it was always going to do less than PS4. Turns out even with supply constraints, it's not that much less.

Alfz

Banned
Jun 14, 2022
Microsoft hasn't listed profit for their gaming division for a long time, so how do you know they haven't?

The only major decline is profits, which are listed and make logical sense with a new PSVR headset around the corner, expanded first party studios, etc etc. The revenue is down 2%, which is by far the most important indicator of growth, or lack thereof. Meanwhile Microsofts was down 7% I believe.

So I am not sure what you mean by hit.

nah...operating income down 37% is significant. No way to downplay, pretty bad hit.

I trust that GOW will help but no, this was a bad quarter. Also no, PSVR is never a good example to help Sony look good, that piece of hardware is always the lowest performer for Sony

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I wonder what will happen with PSVR2 sales. Seems like a lot of R&D and game dev investment has gone into it, but with price increases and requiring a Ps5 vs a Quest 2 (which just got bumped up..) how big of an appetite the market will have for it. The tech and overall package sounds quite compelling to dedicated fans, though. Could position them strongly for future VR products even outside PlayStation. Or could end up costing too much to invest in for a third generation.

I don't think it'll launch cheaper than $499 which is a lot to ask for an accessory.
PSVR2 is such an oddball this gen.

I wonder how it'll affect their output for regular flat panel games. If they are priortizing "hybrid" games that work on TV AND VR like some rumors have suggested, will the games be unique enough to justify the VR price tag? If they are making dedicated VR experiences, how does that affect their flat panel game output?

I feel like the biggest issue with VR adoption is that it needs a lot of Half Life Alyx caliber games but most of them are just normal flat panel games with VR slapped onto them that are "cool" experiences at best.

I'm excited for PSVR2 because the headset seems sick as fuck, but ancedotally speaking I'm really not sure how many people will actually care about it and that does kind of worry me about their output.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Sony doubling down on premium is an odd stance to take in a recession. It'll be interesting to see what PSVR2 does, which seems squarely aimed at enthusiasts, when casual is the biggest reason for PlayStations continued success.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I´m sure those things will help over time, but nowhere near to the effect you are hoping. PlayStation is far and wide a bigger brand and just has more appeal to consumers, something that Game Pass (which is widely available to the many PC gamers) or Starfield being exclusive won´t be able to create for Xbox.

The Xbox 360 was able to capitalize on the last recession, but Xbox had already become the dominant force in the US and only furthered it during that time. The fact that the Series S isn´t doing crazy numbers at this point just shows how far away Xbox still is from those 360 days, and it is largely because consumers aren´t avoiding PlayStation like the plague for all the reasons they did for the PS3 early on.

Xbox is more competitive than last gen but the biggest obstacle for the brand is the demand PlayStation still has and it would take something like Call of Duty being a permanent exclusive to shake the landscape, which MS has repeatedly said they wont do

All I'm hoping for is a competitive generation. That makes gaming better for everyone.

Not sure what you're referring to with the Series S either. As was stated earlier, these Series consoles are outselling any other Xbox in history at this point in their lifetime.

And regardless, Microsoft's goal isn't hardware purchases, but Game Pass subscriptions. That contextualizes why they're not eager to make Call of Duty exclusive. It being day 1 on Game Pass, and Game Pass being the platform to be on for the majority of gamers, is the goal.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
It's doing as well as it can given the circumstances. Software is just kind of dead right now and I do think that HFW/GT7 probably didn't do insane numbers. However, overall consumer spending in games has plummeted, which can also be a factor of not a lot of big games releasing, but could also be that people aren't staying inside all day like they were at the height of lockdowns.
Yeah I feel games haven't really been selling millions and millions like they were a few years ago imo. I don't know much people gaming anymore but that's just me. Even comparing the hype to zero dawn compared to forbidden west

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
There are still vast swaths of this country without the internet infrastructure to support digital game and the USA is one of the worst developed nations for broadband access. With how big of a market the USA is, that is going to have an affect.
I dunno what these games are that aren't getting massive updates anyway even if they originally arrive on disc.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
nah...operating income down 37% is significant. No way to downplay, pretty bad hit.

I trust that GOW will help but no, this was a bad quarter. Also no, PSVR is never a good example to help Sony look good, that piece of hardware is always the lowest performer for Sony

I didn't say it would make them look good, but it cost money to make, which comes out of profits. The fact that revenue is down only 2% despite shortages suggest that it hasn't hurt them from a customer perspective, people are still spending a lot of money in the playstation ecosystem, and Sony is spending profits to expand that business.

And I never said it wasn't a bad quarter. It was said compared to microsoft it was a big hit, yet we have zero idea of what xboxes profit margains are like and for all we know, they are in the exact same boat.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure what the doom and gloom is about. Now that playstation has actual competition, and not Xbox One and Wii U, it was always going to do less than PS4. Turns out even with supply constraints, it's not that much less.

The PS5 would be tracking ahead of the PS4 if not for supply constraints. It managed to hit 10 million units faster than the PS4 did globally. It even hit a million in Japan faster than the PS4.

Sony expect the PS5 sales curve to surpass the PS4 sales curve next FY, so we should be looking at 15+ million more PS5s for the rest of this FY and 23+ million PS5s next FY

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

Reset Era != World
Half of everything there didn't go past a certain bubble.

Seriously 1440p VRR?? when did those ever matter to the mass consumers?
The PR disaster barely even trend on Twitter, where do you get the metrics that these failings equate to a bad generation for Sony?

The same Sony that has been pumping hits year after year? Even on PC?

The biggest thing holding back growth for them has been pandemic and global issues not most of these 'forum-social' matters you think it is.

If you look at the global situation right now and you don't even mention that but mention all these I find it hard to take posts like this serious.