• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I really hope it's already been mentioned (I'm not reading 38 pages to find out. Sorry.)....but why is there a mouse cursor? If it's a dev kit fine, but wouldn't that mean the storage available might not be quite the same?

Again...let me know if that's already been figured out and put to rest. Makes the whole thing seem suspect to me.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is by far the most disappointing thing about this generations new hardware. Hardware isnt for sale yet and pretty much every core game is already thinking about where and how quickly they can get compatible expandable storage.... Damn

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
People being disappointed aren't taking into account these are SSD's. Yes it would be great if it could have been a minimum of 1TB but the gains from an SSD over HDD soften the blow for me.

I'll pick up external storage later down the line anyway when the prices are better.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
ps5_ssd_storage_21.jpg

This from Cerny's presentation is about as much as we have about expandibilty via external HDD. Kinda implies you can store a PS5 game on external, but not hard confirmed yet.

I mean, what else is an external HDD supposed to do nowadays? Being used for savegames only?!

That said, this is just another example how absolutely fucked up Sony's communication is with regards to very basic features like this right now. I mean seriously, given Sony still refuses to give journalists a test drive with the new system it makes me think PS5's OS is still nothing short but "work in progress".

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what else is an external HDD supposed to do nowadays? Being used for savegames only?!

That said, this is just another example how absolutely fucked up Sony's communication is with regards to very basic features like this right now. I mean seriously, given Sony still refuses to give journalists a test drive with the new system it makes me think PS5's OS is still nothing short but "work in progress".

"still refuses" Could simply be "hasn't got to that point in their marketing rollout plan" and we don't hear anythign because NDAs.

MS only shared a week ago, and went to pains to point out the hardware was preview, the OS was preview (don't dwell on it!) and the software was a limited range of BC games they were happy to share.

Yes MS shared earlier but not much earlier (yet) and they're still very much controlling the message

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
XSX retains 80.20% of its storage.
PS5 retains 80.48% of its storage.
*gasp!* they're the same!

Always gonna be agenda pushers I suppose.
That 0.028% difference is huge! It's the literal difference between another profile and not having that additional avatar that is very very important for framerates. It's like RGB, not having it makes the system run slower.

zephyr_hu

Oct 30, 2017
Hungary

Both consoles (Xbox/PS) support the external HDD for the Ps4/Xbox one games. The new games (Ps5/XSX) are designed to the new SSD-s. BTW there were some articles about it.

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
If the updating process is like on the PS4, with many games getting copied in full until the update is finished successfully, it also means you have to leave as much free space as your biggest game is. So this effectively becomes about 500GB.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
If the updating process is like on the PS4, with many games getting copied in full until the update is finished successfully, it also means you have to leave as much free space as your biggest game is. So this effectively becomes about 500GB.

It has been pointed out many times that this wont be a thing on the PS5. Cerny addressed this in the deepdive.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I have 40 installed in my PSVR folder alone. I like having my options.
I get that some people just want to have everything at hand, but do you really play all those games regularly? At some point you will run out of space; would you rather spend money on expanded storage than simply deleting those you don't plan to play on a regular basis?

I've been managing my game installs on both PS4 (stock 500 GB drive) and on small SSDs (PC, max. 232 GB after formatting + OS and software) over the years, it's really no big deal at all. Unless you're jumping from game to game several times a day/week, there's no point in spending more other than to have them at the ready just in case.

Just my two cents.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I just switch way too often between games, try out other stuff, etc. doesn't matter if it's PC or console, I ended up buying extended storage for PS4 and One X (the latter one actually arrived with 25 games or so as a review unit, digital games), so yeah and I still review games from time to time so I end up getting more games than those I buys. I'll just hope that you can move games from an external drive to the internal PS5 SSD. It was cheap and easy to upgrade my now old gaming PC with SSDs (still using SATA), but it's a different story for PS5/Series X. Even if an option would be available (such as the card for Series X) I'm not sure I would go for it currently, due to the prices, as long as I can move games between drives. If I had very fast internet I probably wouldn't care at all or not much, but with a connection that is currently mostly limited around 5 MB/s or less it's annoying to download huge games again and again.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
My entire point had nothing to do with downloads but entirely to do with actual space used on the SSD.

I think you've misunderstood what the person was talking about. A digital user benefits from having more space more than a physical user. Not because the digital games take up more space, but because the logistical challenges for redownloading a game are different from installing from a disc. Due to data caps and slower internet speeds, there is more incentive to keep a game on the drive for a digital user compared to a physical one.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Most PS4 owners have an average of 9.6 games installed.

'Owns 9 games =/= 9.6 games installed'

That data is just the attach rate from digital and new physical sales. It doesn't really give us a true picture of what people play, or how many games people are playing. It's likely that

a) Players don't have every game that they own installed at the same time
b) Players buy additional games used, thereby not being counted in that attach rate

XSX retains 80.20% of its storage.
PS5 retains 80.48% of its storage.
*gasp!* they're the same!

Always gonna be agenda pushers I suppose.

Percentage has to be the worst measure of HDD space. I could say I have 100% space free, but if that space was 1 GB then it's functionally nothing. That's obviously an extreme example but it looks like you've chosen this measure because it reflects them to be 'the same' rather than because it offers any real value.

The PS5 HDD has 664 GB of usable space.
The XBOX Series X has 802 GB of usable space.

Obviously the trade off is in storage speed, which I think is well worthwhile, but when we're talking SSD capacity the only real measure that matters here is the space available in GB. How much storage the OS occupies is only meaningful relative to the total capacity, so in the end, the space available is the only useful measure.

The XSX will store more games out of the box. Perhaps one additional retail title, or many smaller games.

Last edited:

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
That's about as much as I expected. I usually only play 2-3 games at a time maximum and have the disc version pre-ordered so I don't see this being a problem for me.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
This is by far the most disappointing thing about this generations new hardware. Hardware isnt for sale yet and pretty much every core game is already thinking about where and how quickly they can get compatible expandable storage.... Damn

Yeah, it's disappointing but it's still the best place to save money. Would you rather less cheaper ram or cheaper cooling\slower apu?

That empty drive will be trivial to fill with something decent in a year or 2. Bit of game juggling worth it in the long run imo

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they have a streaming while downloading solution for people with fast internet, so swapping games is less of an issue.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it's disappointing but it's still the best place to save money. Would you rather less cheaper ram or cheaper cooling\slower apu?

That empty drive will be trivial to fill with something decent in a year or 2. Bit of game juggling worth it in the long run imo
I would rather they just charge straight up - have something closer to 1.5TB-2TB for $499/$549 DE and $599/$649 Physical. At least offer the option for a higher internal.

So 2 points that I'm still wondering about:
-I don't think that this PS5 has the final version of the OS/UI. it's probably some early dev software. The final version might be smaller or larger, we don't know. But that 664GB is definitely not 100% correct.
-Do we even know if Astro is installed on that Ps5? I honestly doubt it. These pictures might be months old, when the game still needed a lot of development. Best case scenario this ps5 has the Astro demo, that Geoff Keighley and the Japanse Youtubers played. Also there is just no way that a next gen game is just 2,4GB. That 2,4GB is probably just some dev program.
It being close to cutoff dates for manufacturing/QA and installation of OS onto the console that is shipping out that this would be close to the final UI and OS size. It is an extremely similar size to the Series X OS size so I am inclined to believe it. While 664 is likely not a final number, I would expect the final to land ~20GB either side of it if this is true.

No we don't have confirmation that Astro is installed or not but again you would never get confirmation about a rumour like this - you have to take it with a grain of salt. While it is possible that this is just a demo version of Astro and that potentially explains the file size, I would not expect the full game to be much more. Astro is going to be a small experience.

Last edited:

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
So 2 points that I'm still wondering about:
-I don't think that this PS5 has the final version of the OS/UI. it's probably some early dev software. The final version might be smaller or larger, we don't know. But that 664GB is definitely not 100% correct.
-Do we even know if Astro is installed on that Ps5? I honestly doubt it. These pictures might be months old, when the game still needed a lot of development. Best case scenario this ps5 has the Astro demo, that Geoff Keighley and the Japanse Youtubers played. Also there is just no way that a next gen game is just 2,4GB. That 2,4GB is probably just some dev program.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I would rather they just charge straight up - have something closer to 1.5TB-2TB for $499/$549 DE and $599/$649 Physical. At least offer the option for a higher internal.

It being close to cutoff dates for manufacturing/QA and installation of OS onto the console that is shipping out that this would be close to the final UI and OS size. It is an extremely similar size to the Series X OS size so I am inclined to believe it. While 664 is likely not a final number, I would expect the final to land ~20GB either side of it if this is true.

No we don't have confirmation that Astro is installed or not but again you would never get confirmation about a rumour like this - you have to take it with a grain of salt. While it is possible that this is just a demo version of Astro and that potentially explains the file size, I would not expect the full game to be much more. Astro is going to be a small experience.

How is that different from you buy a drive and putting it in .l? Functionally identical but lower barrier of entry.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
How is that different from you buy a drive and putting it in .l? Functionally identical but lower barrier of entry.
Because then the internal is 1.5TB and then can be expanded on again? While I fully expect game sizes to be somewhat lower for PS4 games coming into PS5 and cross gen games, I believe a few years into the generation we will have game sizes be bigger than ever with ultra detailed texture packs likely leading the charge in increase to file size. Having a larger sized internal now will help with that

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Best case scenario this ps5 has the Astro demo, that Geoff Keighley and the Japanse Youtubers played. Also there is just no way that a next gen game is just 2,4GB. That 2,4GB is probably just some dev program.

Actual Astrobot Rescue Mission is only 7GB. It's a tiny game (install wise). Remember that Astro's Playroom probably isn't a full game size thing. It's not Astrobot 2. It's presumably much smaller than Rescue Mission.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Because then the internal is 1.5TB and then can be expanded on again? While I fully expect game sizes to be somewhat lower for PS4 games coming into PS5 and cross gen games, I believe a few years into the generation we will have game sizes be bigger than ever with ultra detailed texture packs likely leading the charge in increase to file size. Having a larger sized internal now will help with that

I guess I just see it different. Having an internal empty bay is good middle ground and seems like a good compromise. More is obviously better but to me at least I find the trade off seems pretty sensible.

Having both machines being a 100ish bucks more expensive would be getting way more blow back

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a lot of space but I'm happy Sony went with 3rd party expansion, it should help drive down the cost of a memory upgrade down the line. Once I can get 1tb expansion for around a $100 I will make the upgrade.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a lot of space but I'm happy Sony went with 3rd party expansion, it should help drive down the cost of a memory upgrade down the line. Once I can get 1tb expansion for around a $100 I will make the upgrade.

Yeah, I expect that in a year or so. With cost halfing or storage doubling every year or so after that depending on what way you want to look at it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I expect that in a year or so. With cost halfing or storage doubling every year or so after that depending on what way you want to look at it.

People could argue that Sony could have also released another sku with more memory but then we'd have 3 skus and I don't think they want to manage so many skus at launch. I agree with others that I would have paid $100 more for a model with double the ssd space, but I understand why they didn't do it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
People could argue that Sony could have also released another sku with more memory but then we'd have 3 skus and I don't think they want to manage so many skus at launch. I agree with others that I would have paid $100 more for a model with double the ssd space, but I understand why they didn't do it.

Same, I 100% would have paid 100 more for more memory. Or could have stretched to even more for more premium features but that's not how it works.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I would've paid another 100 for double the SSD space (on both systems) but you've got to imagine they'd be losing a ton of money if they did that based on SSD costs we're seeing. I imagine they'd need to be around 200 more to not be massive loss leaders (more than they already are).

Last edited:

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I wouldn've paid another 100 for double the SSD space (on both systems) but you've got to imagine they'd be losing a ton of money if they did that based on SSD costs we're seeing. I imagine they'd need to be around 200 more to not be massive loss leaders (more than they already are).

Also we're in a global pandemic. I think they did the right thing by balancing power/speed with price to be accessible to more people. A lot of folks outside of the US are already paying a lot. Imagine people having to pay up to $1K or more for a console just to get that extra 200GB. People would lose their minds even more lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Also we're in a global pandemic. I think they did the right thing by balancing power/speed with price to be accessible to more people. A lot of folks outside of the US are already paying a lot. Imagine people having to pay up to $1K or more for a console just to get that extra 200GB. People would lose their minds even more lol

Yeah. They did the right thing making the boxes more affordable but with options to expand the storage if you want.

I'm gonna do it on both consoles. It's not going to be cheap. But you don't have to. Would rather them get these consoles out at a price that most people can stomach day one.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
I mean just download the game you want early and delete the games you didn't play since the last month and not planning to play for the next few weeks..

Who play 10 games at the same time? I'm sure 90% of people will never do that

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
People being disappointed aren't taking into account these are SSD's. Yes it would be great if it could have been a minimum of 1TB but the gains from an SSD over HDD soften the blow for me.

I'll pick up external storage later down the line anyway when the prices are better.
Disappointing? I think a lot of people are just being unreasonable. Here's a small test.

You can pick only one.

• <1TB SSD: Store 10-12 games, No loading times, $400 - $500 console, spend $60 for external 2TB HDD to use as cold storage for games you haven't played in a while
  • <2TB SSD: Store 20-24 games, No loading times, $600 - $700 console.
  • 4TB+ HDD: ~20 games, 3x the loading times of the current-gen (so games will take as much as 4mins to load), limit game design opportunities, even larger game sizes (most games now average 200GB) as moe data duplication would be necessary, the console still costs $400 - $500
The point, storage size is a small and easily manageable price to pay for all the benefits of having an SSD. If people wanna complain about it, then they should do well to consider all the alternatives.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
For the S/X and ps5 you can have an external HD and move things around, this hd isn't a problem for real, at Max a minor inconvenience depending on how much time takes from external to internal

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020

Could it be that they are waiting for the games to be ready to go to take advantage of their activities U.I. feature they were hyping up last October? I assume once games are ready to be tested on the actual hardware, then Sony will ship it out to places to go hands on otherwise you would be missing a pretty big part of the experience i would think.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I was semi-worried that we'd be in the 600GB range, but I can't say this is unexpected. I think stuff like this seems scarier when you assume that every game install is 100+GB (it's not).

I have Spider-Man and Demon's Souls pre-ordered and those two will take up about 170 GB for three games (including Spidey remastered). I'll also Have Fortnite, Persona 5 Royal, Fall Guys, and Ghost of Tsushima installed and be at about 250GB.

That's 7 games available to play with less than half my space taken up. That's more than enough for me at launch.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if people would be mad at a $50-100 higher MSRP on these things if they included a 1-2tb HDD in addition to the SSD

I'd love it

That just sounds confusing for consumers, especially when the console is designed around using an SSD. Anyone who is tech minded enough to know about/care about HDD cold storage can just spend that $50-100 on buying an external HDD and using that.