• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same. Whatever it takes to reduce downtime is worth it to me. I just hope it ends up being as fast as I'm imagining, because the XSX boot time and quick resume times are not as fast as I was expecting from next gen SSD hotness.

I hope they still have basic rest mode suspend so I can go straight to my game. But for quick resume have we only seen BC games on XSX so far? So they'd be reading 5GB-ish at most for XB1 games. for full XSX games reading 12-13GB that could start to be long enough to - not be annoying, but not be as instant as you'd like. Becomes a convenience to store a resume point anywhere if you want to play something new, rather than the best way to get back to the game you're currently playing.

if PS5 has the same feature it should be faster - it has raw read speeds over twice as fast. But if you're also writing the current game back out that'll slow things down.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
NGL Sony should totally sell a 1650GB SSD expansion of the same type as the inbuilt one.

I doubt Sony will sell anything official - too damn expensive. It'd be the same price as the PS5 DE..

Easier to let them approve third party drives and let the market hopefully find a price level that works.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the 980 pro is even fast enough as reviews have it tappingout at around 6850 mbs absolute peak performance. That's not sustained.
Whatever you plug in likely has to be significantly faster than the quoted io speeds of the internal drive, too. Because 825GB or 1.6TB isn't something you can get, really.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
i mean do you REALLY believe that the ps5 has a faster SSD than the very best that samsung can put out...

What they've said is that the PS5 has more lanes of data available and it also has some additional granular detail to control the priority, he said in that presentation that 3rd party drives would like have to exceed the PS5's raw speed in order to compensate/brute force for those other customizations. This is one of the reasons why they needed create recommendations for SSDs and benchmark these drives themselves.
A drive might appear to work, but it might lose it's shit on a title that is putting a greater strain on the iO and is more carefully using those priority control options.

The chances are we are a long way off that being an issue given many of the games have started life on a PC dev kit, or PS4 or are releasing on PS4. Even so, you don't want to be running out and buying that storage with the view it will work well with all games, when it may not.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
If a million random read IOPS and 7GB/s (27% faster than PS5's claims) sequential read isn't enough for the PS5, what is? Cerny has everyone believing they need more than that to "brute force"?

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
If a million random read IOPS and 7GB/s (27% faster than PS5's claims) sustained read isn't enough for the PS5, what is? Cerny has everyone believing they need more than that to "brute force"?

I don't think anyone really knows. Remember that they said they'll likely have a list of drives that will work a bit after launch?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Have we seen transfer speeds between off the shelf HDDs and the PS5s internal SSD? Transferring back and forth is likely going to be the work-around for 95% of gamers until prices come down on high end SSDs.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Have we seen transfer speeds between off the shelf HDDs and the PS5s internal SSD? Transferring back and forth is likely going to be the work-around for 95% of gamers until prices come down on high end SSDs.
I suppose that speed is bottlenecked by your external drive. So should be quite fast if you don't cheap out.

Oct 27, 2017
Cerny never gave an exact number. He only said that a third party M2 needs to be faster than the PS5's default drive to account for the lower levels of prioritisation the drive offers. The standardised NVME spec supports data requests at two levels of by default, but the PS5 SSD has six. Raw speed is only part of the requirement.

(should be timestamped but if not then go from 21:42 to 23:38)

It's possible that if drives exceed the standard (eg ship with say four), they might not need to be as fast to be "compatible", as an drive that only has two for example. Maybe at someone point a manufacturer might even make a drive with the full six levels of priority, and it would only need to be 5.5 like the PS5's SSD.

We don't know — It will all probably depend on what manufacturers offer, hence it being best to wait for the approved list.

Last edited:

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
You know what....I'm confused now.

Because I thought this too months ago. Some ppl convinced me he meant 7GB/s.

I guess we will see soon.
It's this slide that gives the impression that you need at least 7GB/s when he was just saying SSDs that saturate 4x PCIE 4.0 at 7GB/s will be on the market by the end of the year. And he did indeed say any SSD you add needs to be a bit faster than the internal one to make up of the lack of 4 extra priority lane. He just never specified how much faster.
UANLg1h.jpg

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Theres only 1 or 2 officially available tho that are theoretically fast enough.

I wouldn't expect to see an actual list with numerous options until next year when they're actually out in stores
if there is only two then tell me officially which two so that when i get it in 6 weeks, i have extra storage available. Once I install Demon Souls, Miles and spidey remake half of the internal storage is gone.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
if there is only two then tell me officially which two so that when i get it in 6 weeks, i have extra storage available. Once I install Demon Souls, Miles and spidey remake half of the internal storage is gone.

Look at the Samsung 980 Pro and grab that at launch if they've officially confirmed compatibility by then. They may at the very least publish a blog post with instructions on how to expand the memory and confirmation on compatibility for that and the Sabrent drive. Cerny said a full list of certified devices might not come until a little after launch, likely because it'll probably be Q1 or Q2 before there's enough to actually list.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

they said back in the first stream, that its possible there won't be any at launch

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
Or they don't follow every word Mark Cerny says lol

BTW storage is totally a factor for me. If you tell me there's another PS5 where I can pay more for more storage for less than the cost of an external SSD, fuck yeah I'm picking that one up. Happy enough with my preorders, wish I had more options outta the gate without shopping for an external one. Either way, roll on November.
I know what you saying, its always better to have more options. I also would buy a PS5 with more storage, however the narrative I see here is that everything with this console is terrible and Sony are back at Don Mattrick MS levels and that's what I was referring to. I understand the ERA bubble but lately its been almost embarrassing in every XBSX & PS5 threads.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, no I didn't say that, just not out here stanning for corporations who don't give a fuck about me lmao against my own best interests.

But you essentially are by saying just throw more storage in for free and eat the cost and not caring for the ramifications for such a move. You might as well be asking for the systems to be free under that justification. They're not going to eat another $150+ just to have more storage on the system no matter how much people cry and demand over something unrealistic and unreasonable. That's not how it works and saying Sony can eat the cost cuz they can afford to is just hand waiving the logistics of why they can't realistically do that just like they can't give us free systems.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the expanded storage is actually an expansion of the current one and not a replacement.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I don't recall from the Cerny presentation, did he mention whether external "slow" storage can be used by the PS5 to migrate games on/off as needed? If so, I hope it's a fairly seamless process. "Move to external/internal".

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall from the Cerny presentation, did he mention whether external "slow" storage can be used by the PS5 to migrate games on/off as needed? If so, I hope it's a fairly seamless process. "Move to external/internal".
Yes, cold storage is an option for PS5 games and you can even play PS4 games straight from it.

Edit: this was not explicitly stated by Cerny or any PR since

Yep but not quite an expansion in the same way as XSX does it with the card, apparently.
What does that mean?

Last edited:

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is, there's an expansion slot. From what I understood reading around you can't even remove the default SSD, only add to it
Yeah it's not a replacement. The internal is customized fully.

That's wonderful news! Hopefully it's swappable without the need to reformat like how external HDD for PS4 works. On PS4, I can disable the external HDD and use it on another PS4 with the games inside.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Yep but not quite an expansion in the same way as XSX does it with the card, apparently.

Aye. The con is it isn't as easy to swap. Pro though is that costs will likely drop faster and will likely be incorporated in for cooling.
Yep. Can be used as cold storage. Or PS4 titles.
Cerny said it would likely come after launch.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
What does that mean?
The XSX expansion card is engineered to give exactly the same performance as the custom architecture of the SSD solution in the console, as I understand it.

Expansion SSDs for PS5 will be third-party/OEM, and as such aren't engineered to offer exactly the same performance as that console's architecture, again as I understand it. Sony is going to release a list of compatible drives but their specs will differ from the custom solution in the console.

There's no suggestion those third-party solutions will offer worse performance than the internal drive, but it's a different way of doing it to Xbox.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

Oct 25, 2017
The XSX expansion card is engineered to give exactly the same performance as the custom architecture of the SSD solution in the console, as I understand it.

Expansion SSDs for PS5 will be third-party/OEM, and as such aren't engineered to offer exactly the same performance as that console's architecture, again as I understand it. Sony is going to release a list of compatible drives but their specs will differ from the custom solution in the console.

There's no suggestion those third-party solutions will offer worse performance than the internal drive, but it's a different way of doing it to Xbox.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on anything.
That's all correct.