• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
5 games in Quick Resume x 16GB of RAM + some overhead for each is roughly 100GB (80GB to be exact).

The suspend feature will only write the portion of RAM available to games to the SSD.

We're probably talking closer 13gb per game x whatever amount of games PlayStation decides to set aside for the suspend feature.

Personally, I would love it if they let us choose the suspend feature SSD allocation.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Hey! Just out of curiosity, what would have been your ideal size ssd drive in this console?

A terabyte would have been a lot better. That extra 200GB or so would be really nice. As it is, that's getting way too close to 500. I experienced a 500GB earlier this generation on my xbox one, and it was a massive pain with Halo 5, MCC, Forza Motorsport 6, and Forza Horizon 2 all installed, as FH2 was my main for a while, and I would play Halo 5 and MCC with friends. That took up a huge chunk of available space as those are all large games. I felt like I could barely have anything on it. And if I'd had gamepass back then? Man that'd have sucked.

My buddy likes to have destiny 1 and 2 on his PS4 for whenever we hop on there every once in a while, and that's really difficult if he has to uninstall a game and then download another. It basically means we aren't doing it that night, which defeats the purpose. But if he's currently playing through spider-man, and going back to it casually every once in a while to work on trophies while also making his way through TLOU2 on the weekends, well that just ends up eating up most of his space if he wants to have screenshots and videos like he does sometimes. My brother runs into the same problem. 664 usable is better than 407 usable, but it's still cramped. It was even worse when he used to make montages and stuff of destiny. Tons of screenshots and videos took up space. You can't forget that stuff in this equation.

If it's true that a terabyte doesn't quite work with how they made the system because of the unconventional nature of its design, then I would have rather seen over 1TB, like idk 1125GB or something or whatever would work with that. I just wish they'd managed to add some more cells on there. It's just too cramped. And if you take consoles with you, like i do sometimes, having an external drive is even worse.

I deal with two terabytes on my xbox one x, and that's definitely more than I need for sure (although I do hoard so I wouldn't mind having even more space). But 664 is just too small I'm sorry.

I will deal with what's on the PS5, but I'm not exactly thrilled. I still have a PS4 backlog I'm wanting to play through, like FFXV which I have been saving for the PS5, and like FFXV a number of those games are pretty big. I would like to have Monster Hunter World installed for when a friend of mine who is thinking about getting a PS4 or 5 will want to play it. That's two massive games to have alongside Demon's Souls and Spider-man, which I will also probably have installed at the same time. That basically means Modern Warfare is out of the question.

I'm not saying I can't juggle these games' installs, but it's a pain, and I do have a bandwidth cap to consider, and I don't have another hard drive to store these games on, and I really don't want to go spend more money on another hard drive.

The point of video games is to have fun. And I want to be able to play whatever I'm feeling like playing on my device I spent hundreds of dollars on for high end gaming tech. Having cramped space really puts a huge damper on that.

Hope that explains where I'm at.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Does that twice as fast include quick resume? Or am I booting up every games title menu?
It probably does, but with 2 second or less load times from cold boot, PS5 players probably won't even finding themselves needing to use it that often.

When I think about the benefits of SSD, the benefits it brings to my actual games during development are FAR FAR FAR MORE IMPORTANT than being able to quick resume a half second faster.
Am I mistaken in thinking quick resume on Xbox takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds depending on the game?

Oh..I can tell some are praying, literally, that this happens.

Its comical.

We are 47 days away from the PS5 launch. 2013 PS5 version of the XBO debacle is not gonna happen.

It's not. Sorry.
It's remarkable how warped some people have the state of the PS5 in their minds. I don't think a console with a such a first year lineup of games as we've seen scheduled and hardware that practically all developers are evangelising and choice quotes from a while back such as "the most exciting hardware in 20 years" is in any kind of risk of repeating the PS3.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
You acted as if this doesn't matter because games will be smaller. They will not be significantly smaller. They will honestly probably end up being the same size due to larger assets. So your entire point about "well they are smaller" is complete bunk. You can't have it both ways. Either the size of new games isn't a big deal because it won't significantly change, or it is a big deal and means that the small size of the drive isn't a big deal.

You are acting weirdly dismissive and superior. There's no reason to act that way.

For most people who aren't super casual 3/4 games at one time is really fucking anemic. Quit acting as if what you are fine with should dictate what other people are allowed to be fine with.
Yeah it's not going to be smaller. More assets at much higher quality are going to be crammed into these games so by all means this is a massive issue that there is so little space at launch.

A proper next gen game might take like 70GB+ so having such small space sorta forces you to get expansion drives.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's not going to be smaller. More assets at much higher quality are going to be crammed into these games so by all means this is a massive issue that there is so little space at launch.

A proper next gen game might take like 70GB+ so having such small space sorta forces you to get expansion drives.

Yup. If you're the kind of person who has live service games that you pop into sometimes, that just becomes ridiculously difficult.

On my PC I have several games I play sometimes with friends that having to download would be a no-go because I play them with friends. So I don't play Deep Rock Galatic on my own ever. But if people want me to hop on and play, I need it installed to be able to do that.

If you only play long single-player games and you're the kind of person to play one game at a time with maybe one live service game, sure you won't run into as many issues. But that's not everyone. And everyone who isn't that isn't less legitimate.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, we haven't been playing games off of optical medium for an entire hardware generation now. The amount of space you're using isn't changing whether you're physical or digital since it's being installed regardless.
No but since then data caps have come in for many people and even though a lot of games require Day 1 updates, having even a portion of the game to swap in once space is available can be a bigger deal then it was back then.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Am I mistaken in thinking quick resume on Xbox takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds depending on the game?

Yup.

But here the Xbox Series Quick Resume is more than just suspend a game, you can suspend multiple games (varies depending the game) and swap them in seconds, without have to load the game since start. Also, because the suspended games are living in the SSD in theory should survive a full shut down.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. If you're the kind of person who has live service games that you pop into sometimes, that just becomes ridiculously difficult.

On my PC I have several games I play sometimes with friends that having to download would be a no-go because I play them with friends. So I don't play Deep Rock Galatic on my own ever. But if people want me to hop on and play, I need it installed to be able to do that.

If you only play long single-player games and you're the kind of person to play one game at a time with maybe one live service game, sure you won't run into as many issues. But that's not everyone. And everyone who isn't that isn't less legitimate.

As a predominantly multiplayer/social gamer this is what terrifies me about both consoles.

it's fine for folk to go 'why would you ever have more than 2-3 games installed?!' but that's not how it works if you're a social gamer. I don't play one story based game at a time and then delete it. I have a ton of games that I play for literally years (Smite, Overwatch, Siege, Sea of Thieves, WWZ, COD, Gears, Rocket League, Paladins etc) and jump into any of them at any time depending on who's online and if events are on etc.

These games are often the larger ones too.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I mean, we haven't been playing games off of optical medium for an entire hardware generation now. The amount of space you're using isn't changing whether you're physical or digital since it's being installed regardless.
Surely you can obviously see how advantageous it is in some people's situation to have 60gb on a disc rather than needing to download it.

Sheesh.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

There's no difference when it's on the drive. But there are huge logistical differences to getting it on the drive in the first place.

A digital only gamer needs more space or a faster internet connection to have the same flexibility of being able to start up and uninstall/reinstall games.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
It probably does, but with 2 second or less load times from cold boot, PS5 players probably won't even finding themselves needing to use it that often.

Boot game from cold state.... studio splash screen.... publisher splash screen.... title screen.... continue or load save selection.... load to game..... 2 seconds???? they better get those seizure flash warnings ready for those flashing screens

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
As a predominantly multiplayer/social gamer this is what terrifies me about both consoles.

it's fine for folk to go 'why would you ever have more than 2-3 games installed?!' but that's not how it works if you're a social gamer. I don't play one story based game at a time and then delete it. I have a ton of games that I play for literally years (Smite, Overwatch, Siege, Sea of Thieves, WWZ, COD, Gears, Rocket League, Paladins etc) and jump into any of them at any time depending on who's online and if events are on etc.

Yup. And pushing these two a hard drive and going back and forth?

People say you're not going to use up your write limit unless you are installing every day lol.

Like...I mean maybe I am writing to the disk every day though in this situation...

Like, that is going to affect the health of the drive at some point. I don't like that idea at all, especially for a likely soldered drive. It's a far off concern, but still a concern.

And yeah those games you mention. They're all large.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I don't understand the uproar about this. This memory is very expensive. To add more would make the console prohibitively expensive. Like all memory it will drop massively in price through the course of the console's life and the system is upgradable. In a year or 2 you'll be able to add another Terabyte at a reasonable price. In the meantime the usable memory is adequate. What other alternative would you prefer? Do you wish they used slower memory? I sure don't.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Boot game from cold state.... studio splash screen.... publisher splash screen.... title screen.... continue or load save selection.... load to game..... 2 seconds???? they better get those seizure flash warnings ready for those flashing screens
That's something to consider, but we should probably wait and see what the policy is for like this. If Xbox lets you legally bypass these screens via save states and Sony could also do the same, then a policy could also exist that only forces you to sit through these screens the first time you load up the game, and subsequent launches could skip them.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

T_T

Yup.

But here the Xbox Series Quick Resume is more than just suspend a game, you can suspend multiple games (varies depending the game) and swap them in seconds, without have to load the game since start. Also, because the suspended games are living in the SSD in theory should survive a full shut down.

This is important. Skipping the logos and menus at the beginning aren't just a time saver, it just makes me feel better when I jump right into the game (or even just the main menu). And yea, it survives a full shut down and reboot.

Yea... that's... true. And they are pretty big. Waiting an extra 15 minutes (or more) to move a game from external to the internal (potentially only AFTER moving a game from the internal to the external first) is indeed not ideal. Granted, it seems like the internal to external SSD speeds are even faster, so if it's more like 10 minutes of shuffling games around, I'm not THAT bothered by it. Especially when a lot of those games involve waiting that long in a lobby anyway. But.. I do get it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Yes. He been awful for a long time. I think we will look back at his tensure at the forefront of the PS5 launch with about as much joy as Don Matrick. The product is good, but they aren't doing a good job of rolling this out at all.

For starters the console doesn't cost 100 more than the competition. Doesn't come with Kinect, doesn't require you to be always online, it actually has one of the best launch lineups ever, etc.

It's 100% focused on videogames and not TV and that's all they have shown.

Are you guys using the UI most of the time? Wtf these reactions are so overblown.

The most important part of why we buy consoles has already been shown!

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
That's something to consider, but we should probably wait and see what the policy is for like this. If Xbox lets you legally bypass these screens via save states and Sony could also do the same, then a policy could also exist that only forces you to sit through these screens the first time you load up the game, and subsequent launches could skip them.
Thats my entire point.... Xbox made a work around called quick resume.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Thats my entire point.... Xbox made a work around called quick resume.
Which… Sony might also have implemented.

One more fundamental thing to note is that Cerny has talked about being able to preview and launch specific parts of a game from the UI.
"Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like."

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the uproar about this. This memory is very expensive. To add more would make the console prohibitively expensive. Like all memory it will drop massively in price through the course of the console's life and the system is upgradable. In a year or 2 you'll be able to add another Terabyte at a reasonable price. In the meantime the usable memory is adequate. What other alternative would you prefer? Do you wish they used slower memory? I sure don't.

I'd prefer they have spent more early on to get a decent size. Because like you said, the price will drop over time.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
This is a big thread but I know people are saying the drives are similarly priced between Xbox and PS5 but does a 2TB version of a PS5 SSD even exist? Because you're going to have to remove and replace the one in the system right? PS4 style? Or have they stated it's actually expandable?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would avoid a Series S just for that alone.

Especially because it's supposed to be The Gamepass Box.

As in, the box where you are supposed to be discovering you Next Favorite Game tm all the time. An endless sea of games to try out, added to each month.

Having a tiny drive just, does not work with that for me.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad many trolls are taking their precious time posting their concern about Playstation instead of talking about their preferred platform. We living rent free folks.
I'd always heard about how some people like to treat their console warring as if it was some kind of sport, but I'd never really seen it this blatantly until now. Really, this post would be right at home in the comment section of any random football article. Very much an 'us vs them' mindset, which is pretty funny to see here in this context.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is a big thread but I know people are saying the drives are similarly priced between Xbox and PS5 but does a 2TB version of a PS5 SSD even exist? Because you're going to have to remove and replace the one in the system right? PS4 style? Or have they stated it's actually expandable?
It's expandable, the 825GB is custom built.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Especially because it's supposed to be The Gamepass Box.

As in, the box where you are supposed to be discovering you Next Favorite Game tm all the time. An endless sea of games to try out, added to each month.

Having a tiny drive just, does not work with that for me.

Presumably you're streaming those games to try them first and then downloading them if you like them. I'm hopeful this is an option with both of these consoles.

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
Were you expecting to have the full 825? Storing 3 games less than what you were expecting is that big a deal to cancel your pre-order if you really wanted one?

thats not the point, this is just another thing I have to consider when buying a console. $70 games and having to buy extra storage does not sound good to me. Imagine having 6-7 game disks that you paid $70 for and having to uninstall and reinstall to make space, I'm just turned off by that idea. After some thought I am keeping my preorder but this is starting to get annoying.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
No disc drive exists that can even meet some of the slowest hdd speeds let alone ssd
That wasn't the argument, lol.

Edit:

To clarify...OP lamented that they would have to get an external HDD for cold storage since downloading their games every time they want to play them isn't feasible for them. Having the data readily available on a disc to install would serve their needs better if they have to delete games to make space on the SSD.

Last edited:

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
It's expandable, the 825GB is custom built.

Update (April 28th, 2020): An earlier version of this article said the storage expansion process would require users to "replace the internal SSD with a larger drive". Sony has not clarified either way whether additional storage will be a replacement, or an addition, to the 825GB drive offered at launch. We'll continue to update this article with further clarifications when we hear more.

This is the last thing I saw on the subject. It's from euro gamer. Is there an article somewhere else that clarifies it's expandable?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Update (April 28th, 2020): An earlier version of this article said the storage expansion process would require users to "replace the internal SSD with a larger drive". Sony has not clarified either way whether additional storage will be a replacement, or an addition, to the 825GB drive offered at launch. We'll continue to update this article with further clarifications when we hear more.

This is the last thing I saw on the subject. It's from euro gamer. Is there an article somewhere else that clarifies it's expandable?

Eurogamer just never bothered updating that article lol, it's been confirmed that the NVME is expansion memory.

www.eurogamer.net

PS5 specs and features, including SSD, ray tracing, GPU and CPU for the PlayStation 5 explained

Everything we currently know about the specs and console features of the PS5, including SSD, ray tracing, price and CPU…

I went through the same thing a few months ago, went back to that article to see what the update was and was like "???"

in their actual specs breakdown it's listed as expandable memory (and everywhere else the specs are officially listed)

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
A terabyte would have been a lot better. That extra 200GB or so would be really nice. As it is, that's getting way too close to 500. I experienced a 500GB earlier this generation on my xbox one, and it was a massive pain with Halo 5, MCC, Forza Motorsport 6, and Forza Horizon 2 all installed, as FH2 was my main for a while, and I would play Halo 5 and MCC with friends. That took up a huge chunk of available space as those are all large games. I felt like I could barely have anything on it. And if I'd had gamepass back then? Man that'd have sucked.

My buddy likes to have destiny 1 and 2 on his PS4 for whenever we hop on there every once in a while, and that's really difficult if he has to uninstall a game and then download another. It basically means we aren't doing it that night, which defeats the purpose. But if he's currently playing through spider-man, and going back to it casually every once in a while to work on trophies while also making his way through TLOU2 on the weekends, well that just ends up eating up most of his space if he wants to have screenshots and videos like he does sometimes. My brother runs into the same problem. 664 usable is better than 407 usable, but it's still cramped. It was even worse when he used to make montages and stuff of destiny. Tons of screenshots and videos took up space. You can't forget that stuff in this equation.

If it's true that a terabyte doesn't quite work with how they made the system because of the unconventional nature of its design, then I would have rather seen over 1TB, like idk 1125GB or something or whatever would work with that. I just wish they'd managed to add some more cells on there. It's just too cramped. And if you take consoles with you, like i do sometimes, having an external drive is even worse.

I deal with two terabytes on my xbox one x, and that's definitely more than I need for sure (although I do hoard so I wouldn't mind having even more space). But 664 is just too small I'm sorry.

I will deal with what's on the PS5, but I'm not exactly thrilled. I still have a PS4 backlog I'm wanting to play through, like FFXV which I have been saving for the PS5, and like FFXV a number of those games are pretty big. I would like to have Monster Hunter World installed for when a friend of mine who is thinking about getting a PS4 or 5 will want to play it. That's two massive games to have alongside Demon's Souls and Spider-man, which I will also probably have installed at the same time. That basically means Modern Warfare is out of the question.

I'm not saying I can't juggle these games' installs, but it's a pain, and I do have a bandwidth cap to consider, and I don't have another hard drive to store these games on, and I really don't want to go spend more money on another hard drive.

The point of video games is to have fun. And I want to be able to play whatever I'm feeling like playing on my device I spent hundreds of dollars on for high end gaming tech. Having cramped space really puts a huge damper on that.

Hope that explains where I'm at.
Yup! Definitely makes sense. Appreciate the explanation and definitely see how a full terabyte would have been better for you. Hopefully some of these ssd's coming out within a year or so will be priced low enough that we can pop in like a 250gb or 500gb for a fair price and expand that out.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Damn if I want to go digital I'm gonna have to get some extra storage
as was the case for the ps3 and ps4 if it was your primary console and you wanted to go digital. I expanded both to 2 TB internals and for ps4 had a 250 ssd external to reduce loading for the games I was actively playing. It's the same for PC to be honest, the default internal hard discs these devices come with are never enough if you have large file size software.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
ITT, people with an unrealistic idea of how much a top of the line SSD costs.
This has been my concern with Sony allowing off the shelf SSDs for an upgrade. People are going to see cheaper SSDs and think they're getting a deal but since they don't understand the nuance of these high speed drives, they'll end up with incompatible drives without realizing this until they try it out. I'm really going to be curious how Sony tries to mitigate this with their messaging of how to know what will be compatible.