• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If real, that's fucking terrible. I was hoping the 825 was usable. I'm not very pleased to be dropping 450 quid on a tiny thimble full of SSD storage. And if that UI is real. Where's the revolutionary features we were supposed to be getting? I'm hoping fake, but if its real - no wonder that little shit Jim Ryan has been keeping it quiet.
lol, that's enough Era for today for me.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Not verified yet, but it seems like the Samsung 980 Pro might be a compatible SSD? It's $229 for the 1TB version which is $10 more than the Xbox Series expandable storage.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Not verified yet, but it seems like the Samsung 980 Pro might be a compatible SSD? It's $229 for the 1TB version which is $10 more than the Xbox Series expandable storage.

it's looking like it'll be one of the first officially supported drives yeah.

$229 is not bad, if I can get a 2TB drive for around that price this time next year, I'm in

Does that twice as fast include quick resume?

it's not as fast as your goalposts changing

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
You acted as if this doesn't matter because games will be smaller. They will not be significantly smaller. They will honestly probably end up being the same size due to larger assets. So your entire point about "well they are smaller" is complete bunk. You can't have it both ways. Either the size of new games isn't a big deal because it won't significantly change, or it is a big deal and means that the small size of the drive isn't a big deal.

You are acting weirdly dismissive and superior. There's no reason to act that way.

For most people who aren't super casual 3/4 games at one time is really fucking anemic. Quit acting as if what you are fine with should dictate what other people are allowed to be fine with.

Not really. I just don't think it is such a big deal. Anyway sure, I'm out

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's also about 4.5gb/s faster. Once more manufacturers make their own, it will drive down the price due to competition whereas the xbox series literally have no competition in that area.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I tend to think meta commenting on threads, etc can be counterproductive, but this place just feels like a farce.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
no wonder that little shit Jim Ryan has been keeping it quiet.
tumblr_no1d94m4SC1terwlso1_500.gif

bknow

Aug 1, 2019
I lasted a whole gen with the original 500gb. I think i'll be more than fine again especially if game sizes are supposed to be smaller

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's also about 4.5gb/s faster. Once more manufacturers make their own, it will drive down the price due to competition whereas the xbox series literally have no competition in that area.

I'm fully expecting unlicensed third party xbox memory cards to show up ASAP. No different from the memory cards of the PS1-PS2 era.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
If real, that's fucking terrible. I was hoping the 825 was usable. I'm not very pleased to be dropping 450 quid on a tiny thimble full of SSD storage. And if that UI is real. Where's the revolutionary features we were supposed to be getting? I'm hoping fake, but if its real - no wonder that little shit Jim Ryan has been keeping it quiet.

This thread was missing a nice dosage of the classic entitled and toxic Gamer. Thanks for correcting that!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I don't spend much of my playtime booting games so I was thinking more of the actual benefits.

lol thank you. I keep seeing people compare PS5's SSD read speed with stuff like Quick Resume or potentially cold booting up 2 seconds faster

I'm here for the actual gameplay benefits of high speed SSD. the available storage space is actually a tiny tiny factor to me. it'll always be worth moving installs around to get that kinda speed.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that will be on the list of compatible NVMes for PS5 that Sony is compiling at the moment.
Yeah, that Samsung seems like it'd be up for the job. Cerny did say way back when that we might not know which drives would be usable until maybe after launch, but that might've been a conservative guess to keep people off his back, lol.

Last time I remember reading what he said, the issue was something about the number of lanes the PC NVMe drives at the time used (not enough or something? going from memory here), but I never looked into that with that little shit Samsung drive (lmao this is apparently how people talk now? I gotta re-read that article too, 'sbeen a while).

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
That's not a good news because while it's not that bad, memory expansion gonna cost a lot and overall for the same price of a Xbox Series X you got a faster SSD yet a weaker console with less storage and higher priced games.

I think people loose their mind on that kind of not so bad news because Sony seems to remain silent on their new console or lack of transparency. Welp, people get mad at anything, look at that Peter Parker "gate".

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yeah, that Samsung seems like it'd be up for the job. Cerny did say way back when that we might not know which drives would be usable until maybe after launch, but that might've been a conservative guess to keep people off his back, lol.

at the time they were saying 7.0GBps minimum and I have a feeling that wasn't just a random number he pulled out of a hat.

they probably knew at the time Samsung was working on a drive that fast for release in late 2020 and pegged it to be one of the first compatible drives since he said we'd know a lot more around launch

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Initially there is no competition, but just like when SSD's first became a thing, prices take awhile to trend down. With the Xbox they have at least stated other parties will come in due time, when we don't know but there is the ability to easily reproduce once the tech has been figured out. Though like I said in my previous post, the Xbox storage card is only $10 more expensive then the Samsung 980 Pro and we aren't even sure if such cards will work in the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
lol thank you. I keep seeing people compare PS5's SSD read speed with stuff like Quick Resume or potentially cold booting up 2 seconds faster

I'm here for the actual gameplay benefits of high speed SSD. the available storage space is actually a tiny tiny factor to me. it'll always be worth moving installs around to get that kinda speed.
I feel the same. Whatever it takes to reduce downtime is worth it to me. I just hope it ends up being as fast as I'm imagining, because the XSX boot time and quick resume times are not as fast as I was expecting from next gen SSD hotness.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
No matter what side of the fence you're on, it's baffling at Sony's lack of anything regarding official. I felt that Sony had some good momentum with reveals months ago, but now closer to launch, the lights have gone out. The choice to have it in the hands of youtubers instead of industry professionals for deep dives is even more baffling, but people are tearing into each other based on speculation alone.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
No matter what side of the fence you're on, it's baffling at Sony's lack of anything regarding official. I felt that Sony had some good momentum with reveals months ago, but now closer to launch, the lights have gone out. The choice to have it in the hands of youtubers instead of industry professionals for deep dives is even more baffling, but people are tearing into each other based on speculation alone.

I understand the frustration with not knowing tech details, but you should really check YouTube view counts of all those game trailers Sony showed about 2 or so weeks ago. I know quarantine and the pandemic has warped time, but we're only that far in time from when everyone---everyone--was trying to buy one and interest was driving crazy web traffic and stats.

They have all of the momentum outside of ERA, and that's gotta be frustrating for us--the enthusiasts.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
"Cheap" Gen 4 drives with similar or faster speeds than the PS5's ain't happening in Fall 2021.

Intel 11th gen processors are the first Intel CPUs to support PCIe 4 on PC desktops. Once they are mainstream, production of gen 4 NVMe drives will go up and prices will come down. Right now only AMD CPUs support it and only a small fraction of the consumer PC market uses AMD.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Yes. He been awful for a long time. I think we will look back at his tensure at the forefront of the PS5 launch with about as much joy as Don Matrick. The product is good, but they aren't doing a good job of rolling this out at all.
I think he gonna look back having successfully launched the Playstation 5 and thats it.

You people need to realize not everyone is gonna lose sleep over some interviews they gave outside all the other things they have to do for their job because some people on the internet did feel emotionally betrayed.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. I'm of the opinion he's not doing a good job of that. Which, you know makes him a little bit shit.

Do you have access to PS5 preorder numbers that we don't? How do you know he's not doing a good job at actually selling this?

Just because he's not appealing to an enthusiast doesn't mean he's not appealing to the overwhelming amount of people that buy these things lol.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
You acted as if this doesn't matter because games will be smaller. They will not be significantly smaller. They will honestly probably end up being the same size due to larger assets. So your entire point about "well they are smaller" is complete bunk. You can't have it both ways. Either the size of new games isn't a big deal because it won't significantly change, or it is a big deal and means that the small size of the drive isn't a big deal.

You are acting weirdly dismissive and superior. There's no reason to act that way.

For most people who aren't super casual 3/4 games at one time is really fucking anemic. Quit acting as if what you are fine with should dictate what other people are allowed to be fine with.
Hey! Just out of curiosity, what would have been your ideal size ssd drive in this console?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
the problem is this place consumes news at an absurdly rapid pace compared to regular people.

a UI breakdown could come on Monday and after it's something we've been talking about endlessly for months, we'll be done consuming that tidbit and moving on to demanding the next hotness within 24 hours.

there's still 40 days until launch. they have to space this stuff out accordingly.

so I get the frustration for sure, but no Sony is not hiding or sleeping or being dumb or whatever you wanna call it. they're literally just focusing first on getting these launch games finished so the influencers and youtubers and reviewers actually have launch games to play.

as soon as those games go gold and Sony opens up I'm sure people are gonna be like "see? they listened to us and they're finally talking" when really it's just been their plan the whole time.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London

from the start Cerney said there was 825GB SSD in the PS5, and there still is....... most people with sense would have known that some of that would be reserved for system software. At no point did anyone keep quite about this....

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
at the time they were saying 7.0GBps minimum and I have a feeling that wasn't just a random number he pulled out of a hat.

they probably knew at the time Samsung was working on a drive that fast for release in late 2020 and pegged it to be one of the first compatible drives since he said we'd know a lot more around launch
It's not a minimum of 7GB/s, that's more of a maximum.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I think he gonna look back having successfully launched the Playstation 5 and thats it.

You people need to realize not everyone is gonna lose sleep over some interviews they gave outside all the other things they have to do for their job because some people on the internet did feel emotionally betrayed.
You people? Emotionally betrayed? I'm throwing some shade Jim Ryan's way. End of. I'm laughing here.

Zerot

Oct 30, 2017
Most cost-sensitive people are going to be relying on cold storage or redownloading games for the entirety of this generation, for all consoles. People should come to terms with that rather than making a big deal over very minor storage size differences between the consoles.