• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
What? No. I don't buy a console for the UI. Why would you even suggest that? What a ridiculous strawman. Whether or not it impacts peoples' purchasing decisions (which.. you clearly admit some do), it's still relevant information for every single user. Unless you are LITERALLY only going to be booting directly into Demon's Souls and never looking at the UI or installing any other games, it's mindboggling that someone is not just willing to drop $500 on a whim (which is fine and not uncommon) but is indeed relishing and trying to hype up the idea of knowing nothing else about it.

You don't even know what the whole damn console looks like. I don't care about your purchasing habits lol. But your defense of a strategy where we know nothing about the product, especially on an enthusiast site that has spent years speculating on every tiny detail is the only thing sus here.

That is true, so we might not actually have an expansion option at launch? I mean, that's another thing they should probably message then. People even on this forum are looking at SSD purchases already..
One of the best posts I've seen on the topic. Folks kill me with that kind of logic.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez. A lot of angst here.

Kraken is a leading compression method and thanks to the hardware decompressor, when fully native games and techniques start to arrive, we should be seeing excellent gains in space reduction.

The current size of games is due to having to stream the same assets over and over again, but in a linear fashion to reduce seek times.

Once engines have fully crossed over to just target next-gen then we'll start to reap the benefits. It's one reason I'm surprised at the size of Demon Souls / Mile Morales - I'm thinking the engines are not quite transitioned enough to next-gen thinking

The same is true for the Series S and X by the way in terms of engines and benefits regarding size reduction

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
How many here play 6 games at one time?
Me, I'm currently playing and switching between Streets of Rage 4, Doom 2016, TitanFall 2, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Ironsight, Rogue Company and some more games as well(like 4 or more so games). I'm also a Youtuber and they sometimes just work on multiple games at a time, and I imagine streamers doing that too.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
That is true, so we might not actually have an expansion option at launch? I mean, that's another thing they should probably message then. People even on this forum are looking at SSD purchases already..

ask yourself if anyone here really needs to spend $250 so they can have ~15-20 PS5 games installed on day 1

they don't actually need to do much messaging on SSD expansion until this thing is actually out. if anyone here is actually planning on buying a 1TB expansion drive day 1, I'm going to assume they're already locked in to their purchase 100% and nothing Sony says or does until launch will sway them

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
What? No. I don't buy a console for the UI. Why would you even suggest that? What a ridiculous strawman. Whether or not it impacts peoples' purchasing decisions (which.. you clearly admit some do), it's still relevant information for every single user. Unless you are LITERALLY only going to be booting directly into Demon's Souls and never looking at the UI or installing any other games, it's mindboggling that someone is not just willing to drop $500 on a whim (which is fine and not uncommon) but is indeed relishing and trying to hype up the idea of knowing nothing else about it.

You don't even know what the whole damn console looks like. I don't care about your purchasing habits lol. But your defense of a strategy where we know nothing about the product, especially on an enthusiast site that has spent years speculating on every tiny detail is the only thing sus here.

lol take it easy, I am not necessarily disagreeing with you! I just think we assume a lot and often ascribe importance to things that many--most buyers?--probably don't care as much about.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was kind of under the impression that the 768GB was after OS size so I guess I just assumed it would be ~ the same.

So Xbox is more powerful, way more compact has a bigger hard drive and costs the same?

Relatively speaking, Sony kind of dropped the ball in the hardware department this time around.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of under the impression that the 768GB was after OS size so I guess I just assumed it would be ~ the same.

So Xbox is more powerful, more compact has a bigger hard drive and costs the same?

Relatively speaking, Sony kind of dropped the ball in the hardware department this time around.

What gave you that impression?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Like.. IMAGINE if we don't get this list by launch? :/ I can just see it happening.
This is what Cerny said in his GDC presentation in March (23:03):
Right now we're getting M.2 drive samples and benchmarking them in various ways. When games hit beta as they get ready for the Playstation 5 launch at year's end, we'll also be doing some compatibility testing to make sure that the architecture of a particular M.2 drive isn't too foreign for the games to handle. Once we've done that compatibility testing we should be able to start letting you know which drives will physically fit and which drive samples have benchmarked appropriately high in our testing. It would be great if that happened by launch but it'll likely to be a bit past it. So please hold off on getting that M.2 drive until you hear from us.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I mean it seems to me that a lot of people were unaware that this was 825GB. I remember even seeing posts as recent as a couple days ago saying that this was a 1GB SSD and another post that suggested that Sony must have announced it as a 825GB drive of usable space. People wanted to believe.

People also wanted a $399/499 console and was admant that if Sony was hitting $599, they would be a laughing stock. I really wish Sony was offering a $599-$649 ~2GB variant at launch then the 825GB at $499. It means i won't have to be sinking another $150-200 for another drive in 1-2 years.

Yes, they should offer a second option with more storage. I bet they will, in the future.

The cornerstone of any online discussion forum. Don't discuss things

I didn't say that. My thought was : "we already knew this, right.. right?" Just that...

Make sure you fervently reject any game with sizes larger than what we have today. 🙄

I wish. 🥺

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think it was mentioned by some users here (or maybe on Twitter) at some point.... 768GB feels like a random and wierd storage number so I guess I just thought it was correct.

this does a decent job explaining why Sony's custom SSD is the way it is. it's 825gb and not just a standard 1tb drive for a reason.

www.tweaktown.com

Understanding the PS5's SSD: A deep dive into next-gen storage tech

The PlayStation 5's new SSD is revolutionary, delivering massive efficiency through speed and enabling true next-gen performance on the console.

here's Eurogamer's article on it too:

www.eurogamer.net

PS5 SSD expansion upgrades explained: Compatible SSDs and other external storage options explored

How the PS5's external SSD storage upgrade works, including compatible SSDs and other external storage options, explain…

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So Xbox is more powerful, way more compact has a bigger hard drive and costs the same?

Sony didn't drop the ball based on what they set out to do. They did it. And they are cheaper than the XSX.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know yet if there's a difference in SSD space requirements beteen disc based and downloadable versions of games?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was mentioned by some users here (or maybe on Twitter) at some point.... 768GB feels like a random and wierd storage number so I guess I just thought it was correct.
That's the trouble with taking info from random posters, especially at the lead up of a console launch when there's a penchant for bullshit and console warring.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
ask yourself if anyone here really needs to spend $250 so they can have ~15-20 PS5 games installed on day 1

they don't actually need to do much messaging on SSD expansion until this thing is actually out. if anyone here is actually planning on buying a 1TB expansion drive day 1, I'm going to assume they're already locked in to their purchase 100% and nothing Sony says or does until launch will sway them
I'm not sure that's true. I've seen plenty of posts on Twitter from people saying that they're gonna buy a SSD to put into the PS5. Now, you may be right that nothing Sony says would necessarily change that, but that's a poor reason to say nothing. WE on this forum only know that because Cerny was clear about that in March. We've heard little to nothing since. It's not surprising that people would be unclear on this.

You are absolutely correct that we shouldn't be buying an expansion if we don't have a confirmed list. But if Sony's BC really does provide enhancements through boost mode, then yes... it's not inconceivable to think that people could have a legitimate reason to fill their SSD on day 1, just from PS4 titles. (Granted.. we don't know how BC works either).

lol take it easy, I am not necessarily disagreeing with you! I just think we assume a lot and often ascribe importance to things that many--most buyers?--probably don't care as much about.
Buyers are a nebulous categorization. I agree that we shouldn't try to cage them under any one category. But, that's why I'm not talking about buyers. I'm talking about those of us who care about the consoles. The people who also happen to be the early adopters who preorder these things - and who will then evangelize or complain to friends in the 2nd, 3rd, etc waves.

This could well be a good strategy for Sony to maintain customers by hiding bad news. Who knows. But, there's absolutely no reason for me to give them a pass on that. Xbox needs to show Series X footage ASAP. Sony needs to tell us anything about the box and its features.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Sony can be handling this rollout poorly for enthusiasts who are constantly clicking refresh.

And this forum can be greatly exaggerating and overreacting to the lack of PS5 news.

Both can be true.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Buyers are a nebulous categorization. I agree that we shouldn't try to cage them under any one category. But, that's why I'm not talking about buyers. I'm talking about those of us who care about the consoles. The people who also happen to be the early adopters who preorder these things - and who will then evangelize or complain to friends in the 2nd, 3rd, etc waves.

This could well be a good strategy for Sony to maintain customers by hiding bad news. Who knows. But, there's absolutely no reason for me to give them a pass on that. Xbox needs to show Series X footage ASAP. Sony needs to tell us anything about the box and its features.

I'm in that first category--but only because the box plays games I can't get elsewhere. Truth be told, it would take quite a lot for me to not buy it knowing what games are coming to that. Am I in the minority? Maybe? Who knows. But that's what makes it, as you say, nebulous.

Re: strategy--why are you assuming it's bad news? Or that they are hiding it? They didn't hide the storage space--everyone who knows how drives work knows 825 wasn't 825 and 1 TB wasn't 1TB. Once you get beyond formatting, surely some space was always going to be devoted to the OS, no?

I also don't know why a UI would be bad news. BC could be, depending on what that is. Cross saves could be as well. But that's not this topic.

But like you said--one company has shown hardware and no games, the other company has shown games and no hardware. I would argue one is under a bit more fire on this website than the other, but at the end of the day, November 10th and 12th will be coming before we know it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I don't have to play them all at one time. They will exist in memory even if I shut the console off for a month and then come back. The ability to immediately re-enter a game I may have played months ago is an amazing feature for games that I only play when I'm in the mood for them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Can't say I'm a fan of downgrading storage size compared to the prior generation, especially when data sizes of games are inevitably going to increase.

I suppose this gives me just another reason to upgrade to a slim version in the future, which I would expect to have more storage.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
On my PS4 I usually jump between FFXIV, MH:W, Paladins, Warframe, Overwatch, Project Diva, At least one RPG, some Indies. I guess I'm lucky I don't like more traditional FPS or sport games, and that is only PS4 then on Switch Splatoon 2, Smash, more indies, HW and now MHGU (those two soon to be replaced for HW:AoC and MH: Rise).

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Thank you, makes sense. Would be nice to have an update then *shrug*

I mean if you actively look away every time someone posts a picture of the PS5 then sure, your argument could technically be true but what the hell? Is this a meme?
But.. .... we literally have no official pictures of the whole thing? It's not out in the wild.. Sure we have grainy, off-center photos from the FCC that we've tried to discern logos from. But, all we have are renders. And none of the renders have even shown the back of the thing. Edit: actually we did have the picture of the three guys holding the first PS5 off the line, right? And people were saying there was no way it was that big and that it was photoshopped.. Anyway. Even then, not really official, haven't seen the back.

You're totally justified in not caring, if you don't care. But that is the still the reality of the situation.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sony didn't drop the ball based on what they set out to do. They did it. And they are cheaper than the XSX.

Well hopefully the faster hard drive is worth it because I'm starting to get the sense that they kind of anchored themselves to that.

It kind of reminds me of the OG Xbox design where they basically anchored themselves to 8GB of ram in order to focus on their TV integration.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

They sure did!!!

Well hopefully the faster hard drive is worth it because I'm starting to get the sense that they kind of anchored themselves to that.

It kind of reminds me of the OG Xbox design where they basically anchored themselves to 8GB of ram in order to focus on their TV integration.
tHu9pcv.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

by that logic MS will be anchored to a slower SSD. they're using an expensive proprietary solution for SSD expansion whereas Sony is allowing off-the-shelf SSD expansion drives which will get lower in price over the next year. so the 2x faster SSD is probably a better thing to be "anchored" to.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that's remotely comparable. One was requested by game devs, the other was Microsoft chasing the "one" living room concept.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Everyone angry at a fake OS pic (or an old devkit) with a mouse cursor taken with a potato phone lmao.
Y'all need to go outside for a bit.

It's Saturday.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Why are people talking about quick resume in terms of it being some new thing when PS4 has done it since early in the gen? Of course it's going to have it, especially considering how much Sony has talked about instant-gaming and fast loading etc.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
edit: correctednin replies

remainder:
It sure looks and sounds like the Playroom is not going to be a very deep experience

And should put to bed any chat about emulators being built into it

Game content typically does not correlate to file size.

You can have a bloated game that takes up 70GB that is comprised of narrow corridors and little exploration, and a small game that is 10GB that has a massive open world.

File size generally indicative of things like uncompressed audio, large textures and shader data but is never a good indicator how much content a game has.

Oct 26, 2017
I will want to have Dark Souls 1-3, Demon's Souls, Soul Calibur VI and Street Fighter V in there at all times, plus any new games. Seems like there will be a fair bit of juggling stuff onto an external drive, or I will need to keep the PS4 connected for those games.

ramboma

Jul 18, 2019
it seems like the best thing to do here is pick up a 1TB external hard drive, and switch games in and out as i want. can anyone tell me what i need to look out for when ordering one?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I will want to have Dark Souls 1-3, Demon's Souls, Soul Calibur VI and Street Fighter V in there at all times, plus any new games. Seems like there will be a fair bit of juggling stuff onto an external drive, or I will need to keep the PS4 connected for those games.

You can still play all the PS4 games off an external HDD. You only need them on the SSD if you want SSD loading speeds.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
But.. .... we literally have no official pictures of the whole thing? It's not out in the wild.. Sure we have grainy, off-center photos from the FCC that we've tried to discern logos from. But, all we have are renders. And none of the renders have even shown the back of the thing. Edit: actually we did have the picture of the three guys holding the first PS5 off the line, right? And people were saying there was no way it was that big and that it was photoshopped.. Anyway. Even then, not really official, haven't seen the back.

You're totally justified in not caring, if you don't care. But that is the still the reality of the situation.
What about the pictures of the Japanese Youtuber in front of a real, plugged in PS5?
Or are you suggesting it's a cake with cables sticking out? Or that it doesn't count because of some other weird reason?
Sony has also shown off the back of the console during their September event.
What is your concern? Are you afraid that it's all just a big hoax and Sony isn't actually going to release a console that looks exactly likenevery single render they've shown so far? Is there any reason to doubt them after there has never been any disconnect between what they've shown off before release and what they've actually released?
Seriously, I get when people want to see the UI or want to know how BC works but this thing about people questioning Sony because they haven't seen the console outside of renders (which is not the case by now anyways) is some level of concern trolling I just can't take seriously anymore.