• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine tbh. I would rather have the same SSD in the series x and trade in storage for speed. Imagine quick resume with this SSD

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
100GB for OS... I wonder how much is dedicated to 4k recording (im expected there will be this option)

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
For the current price or could you have been willing to spend +600 bucks for such SKUs ? Not saying you cant be disappointed but both companies are already selling these systems at a loss, so im not quite sure what expectations people had.

Personally, I would have preferred both brands to offer another SKU with more storage at a higher price. perhaps £100 more.

The price of both consoles is at a good spot, but i'm not sure I can justify paying £200+ for extra storage.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The storage isn't the concern from me that can be expanded.

It's that barebones lifeless looking UI that has me more concerned.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge gap from the Series S considering the potential for smaller games on the S.

You guys do realize these consoles are an incredible value, right?

Some crow eatin to do.

Seriously. What is this?

All of these posts are like you didnt know that the PS5's SSD is smaller than 1TB? Why do you act surprised? Why do you act as you don't know that the space in specs is not what will be available for storage, when you do? This is getting weird.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. That's gonna get eaten up immediately by just the PS4 games I was still playing through. Even worse if the storage is like the PS4 where the OS requires a huge amount of open space available to facilitate games updates for some reason. Hopefully we'll have some expansion options available before 2021 is over.

sns97

Visited by Knack
Oct 30, 2017
Expected.
At least I know how to handle this (move out games I'm not currently playing to an usb drive). Unless you can't store PS5 games temporarily on an external drive.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
I really hope AAA games actually get smaller. I don't really buy it though.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If it means the UI is absolutely snappy without even the minimum of slowdown, I'll alow the barebone-ness.

The PS4 UI is just tiring, even on Pro, and that shit is also barebones as fuck. After all it's not a PC, I'm going to play games on a PS5.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I would have preferred both brands to offer another SKU with more storage at a higher price. perhaps £100 more.

The price of both consoles is at a good spot, but i'm not sure I can justify paying £200+ for extra storage.

Fair point - i think they just dont wanna offer consoles for more than 500 because of the optics. Its a bad look and instead we are gonna get bigger hard drives down the line instead of price reductions.

I understand being disappointed but its not like Sony/MS had multiple other choices and just went with these SSDs just so they can offer customers less space. Not too long ago tthe idea of SSDs in consoles was laughed off entirely, now suddenly people expect 2TB SSD at launch for systems that cost 500 and less.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. What is this?

All of these posts are like you didnt know that the PS5's SSD is smaller than 1TB? Why do you act surprised? Why do you act as you don't know that the space in specs is not what will be available for storage, when you do? This is getting weird.
I think the view was that the PS5 OS would magically be a fraction of the size of the XSX's.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Dang. That's gonna get eaten up immediately by just the PS4 games I was still playing through. Even worse if the storage is like the PS4 where the OS requires a huge amount of open space available to facilitate games updates for some reason. Hopefully we'll have some expansion options available before 2021 is over.
We already know that isn't going to happen on PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad. Average consumer only buys a few games a year. And they delete and swap if space is too much. Much like we're doing now.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
supposedly it uses smaller assets, let's see if thats true. It may end up holding exactly the same amount of games as the ps5 once the series S filesizes are made public. Who knows though.

MS claimed Series S versions of games could be as much as 30% smaller on the drive. Plus it should need less reserved space for quick resume stuff since it's storing max of 8GB per title instead of up to 13.5GB.

I thought the OS for XSX took up 200 GB?

n9NddH7.gif

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
To the ppl that are "oofing" around... what did you expect all this time after the 825GB storage announcement, that the OS was going to be 10GB?
So clueless :'D

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Mmm well it plays all the latest games and has some great exclusives judging by past history what exactly do you want lol

Mmm let's see, messaging that's not confusing and dishonest, furniture friendly design, more storage, backwards compatibility, save transfers, reasonable free upgrades and oh prefer less reliance on blind loyal supporters and more direct communication from them.

Although gaming for me has been synonymous with PlayStation all my life I can't turn a blind eye to this mess.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Not a problem for me since I'm lucky enough to be able to afford buying fast external storage addons and unlimited data. But this fucking sucks for people who can't spend hundreds on more storage on top of dealing with data caps.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
How less are we talking about here mister?
...is this a serious post?

Have you seen how big games already are? They are hardly smaller at all. Smaller, yes, but still big. Come on. "Move along" really?

It is, we already knew more or less where the final usable size would be. Right? What did you expect? Yes, smaller, still big, no news here again. I'm sure I will be able to keep 3/4 games at one time

I mean it is news in that people finally know exactly what the usable space will be out of the box - while we knew it would be around 620-670gb, we never knew where it would land.

Also while I expect game sizes to be less at the start of the generation compared to currently, sizes I think will blow out again a couple of years out and the size of these drives in launch units will be a significant issue for both the PS5 and S/X

Agreed. But people are over reacting here. Just that. We always knew the usable size would not be that much more then this.
If you need more you will have to buy another one

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Posting that you are disappointed by something on this forum has been increasingly difficult over the past few weeks. Posts with accusations of concern and purposely being negative always seem to be abundance on threads like this.

I would have liked more out of the box storage for both PS5 and Xbox, Especially given that I adopted to a full digital library and my internet speeds are mediocre at best
Agree with you. The size of the space doesn't bother me too much cause I delete stuff frequently but some members won't let you be disappointed in peace.

Squall93

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
You forgot the 10% for the SSD management (like garbage collector) so with this we have:

XSX = 1024 GiB physical (1100 GB) = 920 GiB free for the system = 802 GiB free for the player (OS = 118 GiB)
PS5 = 768 GiB physical (825 GB) = 690 GiB free for the system = 664 GiB free for the player (OS = 26 GiB)

Last edited:

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ridiculously low storage, unknown UI, unknown sound capabilities, unknown BC issues, no stock, higher prices, no native 4k on shit (which is mostly epeen), maybe I'm reading too much ERA and its newfound negativity is getting to me, but it is disheartening.
It's almost as much storage as a 1TB PS4, it's fine, and it's like 100x faster. Sound capabilities are not unknown. No stock means it sold out fast. Higher game prices? Fair. No native 4k? Who gives a shit, good graphics are good graphics, and there is nothing more powerful without spending obscene amounts on a PC.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
If it means the UI is absolutely snappy without even the minimum of slowdown, I'll alow the barebone-ness.

The PS4 UI is just tiring, even on Pro, and that shit is also barebones as fuck. After all it's not a PC, I'm going to play games on a PS5.

The problem for me is I've seen web sites with more snap in them (and far more visual flare, or personality). But these clients sitting on the hardware itself struggling makes me wonder what the f they're doing.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Meh... I'm just going to use the same USB3 drive I used on PS4. I'll copy games that I'm playing to the internal harddrive. Worksheet take long....

To be fair I have a shit load of PS4 games I'm yet to play which should still be playable from that drive anyway... as far as I know?

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
The only problem I invisage is hopefully they don't do that thing like with the PS4 where you ha e 100gb space but can't download a 900mb update.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
664 is fine for me. I still have a ton of PS4 games on my 1TB Pro and have yet hit max. I have ESO, GTA5, Evil Within, Cuphead, NBA 2k21, CoD2019/Warzone, PUBG, Fortnite, Apex, Overwatch and Dead by Daylight. I still have some extra space still. So I'm not so worried since I get rid of the games once I complete them.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm so mad. This is only going to hold about 10 games and I play 50 a day!!!!!

Sarcasm aside, that's what cold storage is for. Nothing to see here.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope with the SSD, and an actually good processor, it allows these UIs to stay fast. I feel like they always start out feeling faster from the previous gen but then end up getting bogged down.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Its enough space for like 10 games, who has that many installed at once?
Not entirely true if Hitman for example is going to be close to 200 GB. Same with CoD. Let's say you install both of those games as 'background' games that you often boot up to play a quick round, that leaves room for maybe 1 or 2 games you're currently playing through. Seeing as I'm a reviewer I often juggle between games, so this isn't a lot. I couldn't even install 10 AAA-games on my 1 TB PS4 Pro. 825 GB is really, really tiny for modern games.

Let's hope they recode a game like Hitman to make use of the SSD and get rid of any excess fat like repeated textures and NPC's since there are a lot of them in Hitman.