• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds believable enough.
Expected more usable space for all consoles, but this is the price you have to pay for quick resume, I guess.

It's a weird timing situation where SSDs are just past the verge of making sense. I think most would agree that 2TB (aka 1759GB) would be sufficient, but that'd up the price by $100. Eventually the PS5 will make more sense in the storage capacity area, because of Sony's expansion solution of validating off the shelf SSDs. SSD prices will go down, capacities up. Microsoft went proprietary, and we know how that tends to work out.

Last edited:

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
No news here. Move along.

Anyway, more than enough space considering the games sizes will be less than what we have today

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
135 GB Is a 24 download for me. I hope you understand my situation.

It doesn't really matter how long the download is though? You would simply have to deal with keeping one less game installed.

I mean it sucks if your internet is so slow but I guess you could just go with a regular PS5 so you don't have to deal with downloading so much.

Anyways, the lack of storage is a problem for both playstation and Xbox. An extra 135Gb on Xbox isn't suddenly plenty because some magical treshold has been broken.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure if sony really needs quick resume ? Quick resume for xsx was between 6 to 9 seconds for open and running games. Ps5 boots up games from ui in 2 seconds into to gameplay. Nba 2k21 mentioned that and so did kena etc..

I absolutely can't wait to see a game load and into gameplay in 2 seconds on the ps5...it's something I cant even fathom.
from ui to in game in 2 seconds....insane!

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, more than enough space considering the games sizes will be less than what we have today

...is this a serious post?

Have you seen how big games already are? They are hardly smaller at all. Smaller, yes, but still big. Come on. "Move along" really?

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Its enough for now. I mean people concerned..... if it was 2tb in the console we would be looking at a minimum of $650 / £600 machine. Had to have some trade offs somewhere.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So we expecting 350 final storage for Series S?
Around the ballpark. It's smaller but games won't be as big as XsX or PS5 games. About 30% smaller and we don't know if the reserved Quick Resume space is as large.
This gives you a file size of 60GB for Demon's Souls. If you reach that 3x compression later in the generation with Oodle Kraken and Oodle Texture, games like Demon's Souls would be ~30GB game.
Nope, because oodle textures is only for textures, hence the name. Depending on the data compression ratio will vary.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Meh, this is not a big deal to me, and it certainly isn't shocking. As soon as we knew that the PS5 SSD was a little over 800GB, we should've all known this was coming - particularly if these consoles both have some sort of multi-game suspend and resume features.

The Xbox's usable space didn't bother me, and this doesn't either. I've typically got like 3-4 games installed at the most, along with a smattering of much smaller indie games.

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Much ado about nothing. I had 500gb all last gen. I beat games and delete them.

If you are worried, buy the disk version and/or plug in an external drive. Not like the completion is offering a tremendous amount more space.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
5 weeks out and we will don't have proper info on stuff like this from Sony, it's ridiculous.

Also no proper info on what external SSDs will be suitable.

Good job I'll only be using PS5 for exclusives.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Much ado about nothing. I had 500gb all last gen. I beat games and delete them.

If you are worried, buy the disk version and/or plug in an external drive. Not like the completion is offering a tremendous amount more space.

I agree, its manageable I think if people are smart with their gaming. I had little issues using the 1TB on the One X this last gen.

Jun 17, 2018
warzone's 200gb really needs to stop being used as a metric

about a month ago (when a similar thread popped up), i worked out the average game file size on my HDD and it came to 11gb

granted that's not the case for everyone, but i bet it's more realistic than stacking up 200gb games to formulate a point

Are you only playing indie titles? The average game is around 35-50gb with some being much larger. Even titles like RDR2 come in at over 100gb.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
If true then welp...hopefully they approve a list of 3rd party drives that are compatible soon. That's gonna fill up pretty fast for me.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Are people defending this now? Lol
I have a shitty internet so this is actually a pretty big deal personally.
we were suffering with 1T and now this. Ugh
You can backup games on external HDD on Ps5 and Xbox, if your connection is slow or has a monthly limit.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Yes that's terrible, but

giphy.gif

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
The Series S is priced and positioned as a economic, entry level option. Expectations are (and should be!) different.
Nope. PS5 DE is a better economic proposition for 100$ more. Same price the PS4 launched at in 2013. And offers a much better expandability option as SSD begins to drop in price.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

I mean it is news in that people finally know exactly what the usable space will be out of the box - while we knew it would be around 620-670gb, we never knew where it would land.

Also while I expect game sizes to be less at the start of the generation compared to currently, sizes I think will blow out again a couple of years out and the size of these drives in launch units will be a significant issue for both the PS5 and S/X

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Can't you just move to an external HDD the games you are not playing currently, like with the XsX and XsX?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Not sure if sony really needs quick resume ? Quick resume for xsx was between 6 to 9 seconds for open and running games. Ps5 boots up games from ui in 2 seconds into to gameplay. Nba 2k21 mentioned that and so did kena etc..

1. Not every game will be Kena or load up that fast
2. Quick resume gets you in your game faster than cold boot to menu screen, resume game and start from last checkpoint.

Sorry, as a soon-to- be PS5 owner, I'd love to have something like Quick Resume.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
lol I wonder if there are any here defending this who took a shit on the Series S. I think I know without actually looking.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yes, only $100 less and probably close to half the available storage. Not that much more economical imo

It's a $300 next-gen console, and $200 cheaper than it's next-gen spec'd alternative. It's also designed to play games at approximately 1/4-1/3 the resolution, meaning installs shouldn't be larded up with assets designed for 4K.

PS5 DE is a better economic proposition for 100$ more. Same price the PS4 launched at in 2013. And offers a much better expandability option as SSD begins to drop in price.

Ok.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I don't see why anyone should be concerned about this. Current generation consoles were mainly 500GB and we were fine with it. Keep 12 games in your SSD and shuffle the rest via external USB.
PS5 is probably even better placed than XSX for that shuffle since I think it has faster USB ports.

Shuffle will stall for time until SSD prices drop