• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Hovahtsug

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil
I didn't know about 120fps mode in WRC9... I'll try that later tonight.
If you have a 4K display, can you share some screenshots (from both modes)? I understand if you can't, thanks anyway.

Tested it out, it seems fixed. I always thought the HDR was a bit much in NMS anyways but it looks like how I remember it looking on the PS4 now. I can post some video if you want.
Thanks, i think that's enough, i will change the OP. If someone is still having HDR issues in No Man's Sky, please let me know.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Done another round of testing :)

Ace Combat 7, Gravity Rush 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Just Cause 3, Firewatch, Nier Automata, Saints Row 3 Remastered, Shadow of the Colossus, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Return to Arkham, and briefly discussed a rumour that's going round about putting the PS5 into Performance Mode with TLOU2 :)

KZKU

Nov 2, 2020
Leodis
Disclaimer: I am not an expert. After getting to the fourth world in Sackboy's Big Adventure, I'm convinced there is ray tracing on display. I don't think I've seen standard reflection techniques in any other game be able to do what's going on here. The level 'One Track Mind' really stands out to me. Sackboy isn't high up on any tech analysts priorities, but maybe someone will take a look at it eventually.

Pretty sure it just uses screen space reflections. Which can look very good and are way less taxing than RT. Wish the reflections were better in Astro's Playroom. Shadows are poor in that too. I guess we will see games really taking advantage of the hardware in a few years like every console gen.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
If you have a 4K display, can you share some screenshots (from both modes)? I understand if you can't, thanks anyway.

I can't get any of my older and newer usb stick/devices to work with the PS5. Do I have to format them? Even just to transfer screenshots? I would hope that wouldn't be the case. And since I don't use Twitter, I tried sharing a screenshot through a PlayStation message... then using my Android PS App to download that image. But apparently it compresses the screenshot because it was down scaled to 1080p.. instead of the orginal 4k shot that I grabbed.

OP
OP
Hovahtsug

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil
I can't get any of my older and newer usb stick/devices to work with the PS5. Do I have to format them? Even just to transfer screenshots? I would hope that wouldn't be the case. And since I don't use Twitter, I tried sharing a screenshot through a PlayStation message... then using my Android PS App to download that image. But apparently it compresses the screenshot because it was down scaled to 1080p.. instead of the orginal 4k shot that I grabbed.
You need to use a FAT32 format for your USB, otherwise PS5 will not recognize

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
Warframe PS5
01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06

4K60 is still processing.

Game settings for this video.

50663312236_8e9490db19_b.jpg[

50662572008_9846714a5f_b.jpg

Last edited:

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is there any update on what Devil May Cry 5 on PS5 runs at on a 4K TV which only supports 60fps?

All i see everywhere is stories about the 120fps mode

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Is there any update on what Devil May Cry 5 on PS5 runs at on a 4K TV which only supports 60fps?

The game always ran at 60hz on a 60hz TV. The issue was there was no 60hz mode for those with a 120hz 4k TV. That has since been fixed with a patch.

OP
OP
Hovahtsug

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil
Immortals Fenyx Rising
Resolution
01 | 02 | 03 | 04

Performance
01 | 02 | 03 | 04
Thanks! I will include this game in the next thread update.

Do you have to do anything specific to put WRC 9 in 120fps mode?
I believe you have to choose "Performance Mode" in the game options, but i can't confirm.

If you have a 60Hz TV, all modes will target 60fps, you can see more in OP.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I believe you have to choose "Performance Mode" in the game options, but i can't confirm.
Ok, so there is no "performance mode" inside the game, unless I'm blind. And the easter egg menu on my CX shows 4K60. I have the console set in performance mode for games, too. So either the game isn't outputting right to my CX, or the easter egg menu isn't displaying 120 right.

OP
OP
Hovahtsug

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil
Ok, so there is no "performance mode" inside the game, unless I'm blind. And the easter egg menu on my CX shows 4K60. I have the console set in performance mode for games, too. So either the game isn't outputting right to my CX, or the easter egg menu isn't displaying 120 right.
This is odd, every source that i find states that the game has a "Performance Mode". Are you sure that your WRC 9 is the PS5 version? Another thing, is your PS5 recognizing 120Hz in video option (in PS5 OS)?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This is odd, every source that i find states that the game has a "Performance Mode". Are you sure that your WRC 9 is the PS5 version? Another thing, is your PS5 recognizing 120Hz in video option (in PS5 OS)?
Positive on both counts. I have the adaptive triggers and everything and it's installed on the internal SSD (since I have all of my PS4 games go to the external)

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017

You have to set the PS5's default mode to performance to unlock 120hz. I dunno where it is exactly but there's options in the settings for game defaults, the idea being that you tell the PS5 to other "performance mode" and it will automatically say the game graphics mode to that.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You have to set the PS5's default mode to performance to unlock 120hz. I dunno where it is exactly but there's options in the settings for game defaults, the idea being that you tell the PS5 to other "performance mode" and it will automatically say the game graphics mode to that.
I did that, but the TV is still showing 4K 60. I wonder if the CX's easter egg freesync menu doesn't show 4K 120 properly. Unfortunately I don't have any of the other 120hz games to test out on.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
OK, so I can confirm that something seems to be busted with WRC9's 120hz mode. I have an LG CX 77" and the PS5 is directly connected to it over an HDMI 2.1 cable. The console is set to "performance mode" in the "game and app settings" section.

This is what I see in Devil May Cry V SE using the CX's hidden Freesync menu:

g1nyHRN.png

And this is what I see in WRC 9:

mRF3Aoh.png

There's no performance options in the WRC 9 menus either. Yes, I'm sure I have the PS5 version installed as it's on the internal SSD and the haptics / triggers are working.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
OK, so I can confirm that something seems to be busted with WRC9's 120hz mode. I have an LG CX 77" and the PS5 is directly connected to it over an HDMI 2.1 cable. The console is set to "performance mode" in the "game and app settings" section.

g1nyHRN.png

mRF3Aoh.png

There's no performance options in the WRC 9 menus either. Yes, I'm sure I have the PS5 version installed as it's on the internal SSD and the haptics / triggers are working.

I'm not sure if it matters, but did you check during game play? And not when paused or anything?

Eitherway, this might be a great thing lol. I can't believe the game might be smoother than it already is. I thought for sure it was running in 120hz on my C9. 😆

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm not sure if it matters, but did you check during game play? And not when paused or anything?

Eitherway, this might be a great thing lol. I can't believe the game might be smoother than it already is. I thought for sure it was running in 120hz on my C9. 😆
Yep, checked during gameplay and nothing. You would notice as the TV flickers when it switches from RGB 60 to YCBCR 120

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
A question for everyone: did Sony or other tell news about auto switching from hdr to non hdr bc? It is a shame we have to do it manually every time... thanks

OP
OP
Hovahtsug

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil

g1nyHRN.png

mRF3Aoh.png

Thanks for the input, i have now included a note on WRC 9 (Table 2), it would be good if we could get more feedback from this mode from others players. Also, can you share one or two 4K screenshots from this game, so can at least include the 60Hz mode on OP? Thanks anyway!

A question for everyone: did Sony or other tell news about auto switching from hdr to non hdr bc? It is a shame we have to do it manually every time... thanks
Unfortunately not.

New to OP: Made corrections, changed the Ray Tracing layout (see FAQ for more details) and other minor layout changes for better visibility. Added Destiny 2 Beyond Light. Updated No Man's Sky (HDR fixed) and Spider-Man Miles Morales (added RT Performance Mode).

I still need 4K screenshots from Destiny 2 on crucible mode, to verify resolution, if anyone can help. Thanks.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
OP, how did you know Bugsnax doesn't use HDR?
I looked everywhere and eventually just emailed them to ask and they did confirm it does not.

OP
OP
Hovahtsug

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil
OP, how did you know Bugsnax doesn't use HDR?
I looked everywhere and eventually just emailed them to ask and they did confirm it does not.
In fact i didn't knew, thanks for confirming that! Now that PS5 does this "HDR container" it's hard to know if the game support it or not, i was just leaving it "blank" for games that i didn't knew about, but from now i will use "???" in the "HDR space", when it's not yet confimed, to avoid confusion. And i have just noticed that The Pathless supports HDR, it's now updated.

OP
OP
Hovahtsug

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hovahtsug
WRC9 now has 3 graphics modes.
  • 120hz Performance Mode – 120 FPS at 1080p
  • Balanced Mode (default)– locked 60 FPS at 4K (Dynamic)
  • High Visual Quality Mode – locked 30 FPS at 4K

Also, Dirt5 still has heavy stuttering / framerate issues on both Quality & Resolution modes. (v. 2.001)

OP
OP
Hovahtsug

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil
Hovahtsug

Also, Dirt5 still has heavy stuttering / framerate issues on both Quality & Resolution modes. (v. 2.001)
I posted this a week ago on my Twitter account. Here you go, 120fps mode vs high fidelity 30fps mode WRC 9
Thanks! I will change in the next update.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Hovahtsug

I just found out about this right now while scrolling down the settings. Wonder if Transistor knows lol.

This might sound weird but I might have to stick with 4k60fps mode for right now... because going from 120fps to 30fps is just jarring, as would be expected. Heck when I switched from 60fps to 30fps mode in Ride3 that was jarring as well. But it's because I still have some 30fps PS4 games to finish :/