• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
In all interviews and blog posts in the past they always mentioned they putting a big focus towards cooling and noise of PS5 and later they keep showing the improvements and changes in this aspect damn gj Sony

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao people really are insane. I cant believe some people are turning this into a bad thing lol.
It's tough. When a solution is presented to a problem, the anxious among us can't help but focus on the problem part. I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, but I know it doesn't need to be posted most of the time.

edit: lol see below vvvvvvv

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually kind of disturbing news. The fan should be able to silently cool the system when it is running at its hottest from day 1. It should be engineered this way from the start.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't understand this at all. What strange times we are living in.
Surely the system is just designed to stay as cool as possible and quiet?

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
This is actually kind of disturbing news. The fan should be able to silently cool the system when it is running at its hottest from day 1. It should be engineered this way from the start.

It already will cool things just fine when the console is at its hottest. The main use case here is for the fan to slow down/not run as fast when the console doesn't need it at full power, reducing noise and wear & tear on the fan.

It's nothing but a good thing!

Krypt

Nov 10, 2017
Center of the World
sucks if i never connect to the internet. Does PS5 game CDs come with system updates. 3rd world country with painful internet here. i want to use it local/offline.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

This is a bit too concern-y.

Fan profiles are nothing new in the PC space; they're not one size fits all, never have been and never will be. The fact Sony can tailor this as time goes on is awesome.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's tough. When a solution is presented to a problem, the anxious among us can't help but focus on the problem part. I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, but I know it doesn't need to be posted most of the time.

edit: lol see below vvvvvvv
Im yelling laughing. It's incredible how people flip these things around lmao.
sucks if i never connect to the internet. Does PS5 game CDs come with system updates. 3rd world country with painful internet here. i want to use it local/offline.
You can update the consoles via USB.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Am I crazy for just wanting it to be silent all the time? This worries me, the PS5 will probably get louder with more demanding games...

Or do I misunderstand it?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit too concern-y.

Fan profiles are nothing new in the PC space; they're not one size fits all, never have been and never will be. The fact Sony can tailor this as time goes on is awesome.

Well I'm overly concern-y because my Pro got so loud after 3 months that I pretty much avoided buying anything on it because the sound was overwhelming. I just want a quiet console.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It already will cool things just fine when the console is at its hottest. The main use case here is for the fan to slow down/not run as fast when the console doesn't need it at full power, reducing noise and wear & tear on the fan.

It's nothing but a good thing!

Cant it just do that when the sensor says the temp has dropped? less demand etc?

It's obviously nothing but a good thing, I just can't quite get my head around it lol.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This is really cool to hear. The fan should be fine already, but it's exciting that it can get even better per game with an update.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The age of stability updates is over, the age of fan utility updates has begun.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
PS5 Slim will probably be a significantly smaller machine if they can shrink the APU at 5nm. The entire huge fan will go away and be replaced by a much smaller unit.
It's respectable what they did though. Liquid metal included.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Am I crazy for just wanting it to be silent all the time? This worries me, the PS5 will probably get louder with more demanding games...

You misunderstood. It literally means they can adjust when fans kick up and help eliminate false positives of instances to kick the fan up at a per game basis.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Cant it just do that when the sensor says the temp has dropped? less demand etc?

It's obviously nothing but a good thing, I just can't quite get my head around it lol.

Yea it can, but they are also adding in a bit of machine learning/use cases from the world over to help with it further.

Its actually pretty cool (no pun intended)

sumo

Oct 30, 2017

What Sony said was "we can adjust the software that controls the fans via updates", what journalists then wrote was "Sony is going to have up update it's fans cos it doesn't know what it's going". Don't worry about it, the only time I could see it being used is if some game comes out with a bug that makes the fan go 100% speed when it doesn't need to.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You misunderstood. It literally means they can adjust when fans kick up and help eliminate false positives of instances to kick the fan up at a per game basis.
I hope you are right. The fan curves I create (on my PC) depend on temperatures of the CPU and system. CPU hot -> fan spins faster, louder.
What difference does it make if game A or B pushes the CPU? Do they want to add more headroom for higher temperatures in game B because they now it will drop sooner than in game A?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What Sony said was "we can adjust the software that controls the fans via updates", what journalists then wrote was "Sony is going to have up update it's fans cos it doesn't know what it's going". Don't worry about it, the only time I could see it being used is if some game comes out with a bug that makes the fan go 100% speed when it doesn't need to.
thanks, that makes more sense then!

I still hope that this giant piece of a console will be dead silent for most games. Anything else would be a huge disappointment to be honest.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
dogs-fan-blowing.gif

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Their not actually talking about the hardware inside the PS5. They are actually talking about the people playing the PS5.

Why do you think Cerny needed pictures of your ears.

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Aug 30, 2020
Contradicts what they said about deterministic power usage. Hopefully this doesn't mean fans get louder over time as everyone's systems collect dust.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017

What's so hard to understand? It's designed to stay as cool and quiet as possible. But if a couple years from now that have made it more efficient to cool the machine, how is that bad?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm guessing that it would smooth the fan curve.

For example. There is a demanding realtime cutscene incoming that would raise fan noise by 7 decibels, but if you raise the fan speed now, at a cost of 3 extra decibels for 10 seconds, the APU will be a few degrees cooler by the time the cutscene hits, and the fan noise would only rise by 5 decibels by the time it finishes instead. <-- I'm making all these numbers and units up. Please be gentle.

So, instead of this:

30db 30db 30db 30db 33db 35 db 37db 37db 37db 37db 35db 35db 32db 30db 30db 30db

You'd get something more like this this

30db 33db 33db 33db 33db 34db 35db 35db 35db 35db 34db 34db 32db 30db 30db 30db

In this example, darker green is quieter, but any green is virtually inaudible whereas any orange or red is a bit noisier. Fan curves could reduce the overall noise.

For all we know, the SX also does this. It's nothing particularly fancy IMO.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
How are people turning this into a 'concern' lmfao

This sounds like a very interesting/good approach

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Concern Trolling & Hostility over a Series of Posts
How are people turning this into a 'concern' lmfao
Seems reasonable to be concerned about the jet engine loud console maker already planning future optimization for their new unreleased console fan. It stems from the original concern of the console becoming louder over time due to how the system changed over time.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Without these updates the system could burn down your house like the XSX... Good guy Sony looking out for its fan...