• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
The Nintendo layout never ceases to annoy me, so I can see why this will require adjustment some many players.

It does make sense for a platform to have universal systems though

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
O to confirm and X to cancel just makes sense. That said, my dumb brain got so used to Xbox controllers during the 360/ps3 generation that not hitting that bottom button to confirm is weird. At least with Nintendo's layout, A and B are physically switched which helps me out a little bit, weirdly.

I feel for the Japanese audience here, nothing makes a game unfun faster than feeling a disconnect between your brain and the controls, and swapping confirm/decline can be a bitch to get used to.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Oh great, it's one of those people who thinks they speak for everyone.

I was careful with my vocabulary with words like "many" (as opposed to "all") and "may" (as opposed to "will").

Also, Japanese people don't own their language. Many non-Japanese who've expressed concerns about this live in Japan like native-born people, speak the language and function every day like the average Japanese person. This affects them as much as it does anyone else. That you used the word "others" in your post to dismiss my commentary is emblematic of the well-documented xenophobia that people here in Japan have to deal with.

I apologise. Doesn't excuse what I wrote but I just had a heated discussion about Ghost of Tsushima prior to writing that and may have affected my thoughts. You're right of course and shouldn't have to with this though I'm not sure what you meant by talking about the Japanese language as I didn't bring that up at all.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
to me personally this is a small issue , but it will take some time for my brain to adapt to the change after decades of gaming
i predict that future ps5 firmware update will be patch to assign buttons for O ( accept ) and X ( cancel )

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Well, haven't played playstation in ages but it seems odd to go with X to accept and O to cancel. While in the west the X can be pretty versatile, circling something is pretty universal for marking what you want and crossing something out is common for marking want you don't want.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
If I can play Genshin Impact with O as the attack button, people can get use to X as confirm.

The Japanese aren't THAT stubborn.

Kappakerby

Nov 5, 2017
They should just keep it as it is for PS4. It is perfect.

I have a Japanese PS4. My buttons were originally set to O - confirm and X - back. I have changed them at the system level to the western style. When I play Japanese games the button layout of the game is still set to Japanese style and in western games it is western style.

They should keep it as an option at the system level. I agree with John Riccardi on this one.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Well having it as a default is useful for me, even if I am pretty used to the O is confirm by now. But yeah this should have been a setting in the system as a lot of people will have trouble with this in the beginning.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I think unification is good for people who play a lot of western *and* Japanese games on PlayStation, but I agree they should make this an option.

Do you understand how incredibly annoying it will be to go from having O being confirm from within a game to having it mean cancel for all OS UI? No thanks

That's the experience right now on PS4, with O as confirm instead. There's no unification between western and Japanese games since it's left up to the developer. That's pretty annoying.

Last edited:

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Do you understand how incredibly annoying it will be to go from having O being confirm from within a game to having it mean cancel for all OS UI? No thanks

?? Why the hostility in your comment? If you read my whole comment, I said because that's how it was for my Japanese Vita in the OS then in English games.

Yes I know how annoying it is... as I said, I dealt with it first hand. But maybe it's how Japanese gamers prefer it with their 20+ year history and culture of it.

What? There was no hostility.

Look at your wording...

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
It's not annoying at all. I got used to it pretty much instantly lol. Your experience may vary of course :p
What happens is: I go into a game, press O either goes into the next section or go back to the start menu. Then I'll know which button to press to confirm/cancel going forward. The console UI is always the same (in my case, O to confirm, X to cancel) so there's no confusion there. Probably have to switch going to PS5 I guess.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it again I really just wish they got the system level switching stuff ironed out with PSP/PS3 and let everyone make their own choice. Whatever, people do jump from Nintendo to Sony and might want consistency there, or vice versa consistency with Xbox.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Well, haven't played playstation in ages but it seems odd to go with X to accept and O to cancel. While in the west the X can be pretty versatile, circling something is pretty universal for marking what you want and crossing something out is common for marking want you don't want.

I think in the west it doesn't have anything to do with what the button shape signifies. Its more about ergonomics since the X button is where most people likely rest their thumb, so they believe its a more comfortable place.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
The console UI is always the same (in my case, O to confirm, X to cancel) so there's no confusion there.

Except for in some Western games when the developer specifies X as confirm for in-game and PS UI (I don't know if they are two different checks they can make).

*Name this character*
*PS UI appears*
*presses O to confirm selection*
*UI closes*
Gah damnit

Also theres been games where it just plain broke the game. I remember Dauntless not being launchable at all on JP PS4's at launch because you had to login or something, but it was impossible to do so because of circle and x closing the window or something like that.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Except for in some Western games when the developer specifies X as confirm for in-game and PS UI (I don't know if they are two different checks they can make).

*Name this character*
*PS UI appears*
*presses O to confirm selection*
*UI closes*
Gah damnit

Also theres been games where it just plain broke the game. I remember Dauntless not being launchable at all on JP PS4's at launch because you had to login or something, but it was impossible to do so because of circle and x closing the window or something like that.
hah I get what you mean with your example, but I just never had much problem there either, or maybe it just didn't annoy me as much lol. But I get some people will have problems with this.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
i don't think it's bad as people made it to be

i'm from asia but my games come from 2 regions (asia & US)

i have no problem switching between 2 button system for my each games, your brain actually adapted to this pretty quickly

i'm just glad Sony finally make this universal, however i do agree, at least they provide an option so it would make easier for asian people who don't want to change this button system

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Kind of saw it coming when they added the option of swapping O and X in the system settings on Asian and Japanese PS4s.
I'm glad, I hate the Japanese button assignment.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like revenge for all those times I've played a game that came out only in Japan and pressed the wrong button due to muscle memory.

Let's be honest, Sony should've enforced this back when they entered the industry with the PS1, not NOW!
Why did they need to change it from how Nintendo did it in the first place?

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I imported and played international versions of Kingdom Hearts since Final Mix. Switching is not a big deal as I'm sure most of you know. To the point that I don't totally see the purpose of changing it now. But also I have never been bothered by it.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I just take this as Sony not focusing on the Japan and Asia market for PS5 with the huge die of PS5 and now the button inputs. Its more logical for O to be the input button and the west should change instead. =/ oh well I will only get a PS5 once there is a slim version and games I want to play anyway.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why taking out something that makes just common sense in Japan, if the implementation shouldn't be a hassle?

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Why force this? It can't possibly be hard to maintain the existing functionality in their UI code.

I'm all for adding options, etc., but just swapping button polarity for Japan only is just a disruption without any apparent benefit. I guess this signals a continued shift in focus towards the western audience, but even then this seems unnecessary and kind of petty.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Cheesemeister is having a bit of an overreaction there. People will get used to it in, like, five minutes. This was long overdue.
As someone that has demoed tons of games at gaming events, no it won't be 5 minutes. I've watched people from all walks of life grapple with the switched confirm/back buttons, and it takes them a very long time to pick it up.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Not Japan only, all of Asia uses this system. Genshin Impact is a Chinese game for example, and you have people in here and the OT talking about fumbling with the buttons cause the game uses O to confirm and X to cancel.

Yeah, O is super confusing to me, so I get what you mean. But to be honest, I would prefer if all games used the same system even if it's O instead of X. I would easily get used to it and every game would be the same instead of getting buttons mixed up every time I play on my Switch and on my PS4 in a short amount of time.

So, I think this is a good move on Sony, there should be one standard - whether it's X or O. It's easy to get used to either, as long as it's constant throughout all the games.

As someone that has demoed tons of games at gaming events, no it won't be 5 minutes. I've watched people from all walks of life grapple with the switched confirm/back buttons, and it takes them a very long time to pick it up.

Yeah it's not 5 minutes, I't somewhere between 10 minutes and an hour, depending on the person. People are adaptable creatures and it's not like they are expected to change their writing hand. I've used X to confirm since forever and A (positioned like O) to confirm on Switch was super confusing - but I got used to it in a matter of minutes. The only problem was switching back and forth.

Of course, any change causes people to be overly dramatic and the more insignificant the change in reality, the bigger the drama. I expect people going to war over this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9650

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this was posted already, but from what I understand, it was a Sony UK higher up who made the decision to switch X and O for the international market. I think this was back in the PS1 days? As someone who worked in localization for many years, I totally get where he is coming from, but the gravity of the decision created a metric ton of work for many, many parties. I would have been wayyy happier if that higher up had just... not gone to work that day :)

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Dealt with this all my life since PSP, it's not a big deal really. The only time this being a problem was in RDR for the poker game, but Rockstar patched that out.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese will now experience what it was like for people here to import Japanese games, except in reverse. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I think it sucks they double down'd on it since I felt it was silly they made the swap years ago for just the western market anyway.
Surely one can simply remap the buttons?

If it's like the PS4, the UI doesn't match the change. However there was a UI update on the Asia PS4s that let you actually swap it in the UI and functionality. If they allowed that it'd be fine.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Would have been nice if they had such a policy about which button would be confirm when they were localising Western games, then it wouldn't been a mess that they needed to fix by imposing this backwards policy.

synthplynth

Oct 29, 2017
What's next on the accesibility chopping block? Invert Y axis?

Who asked for this? What could possibly be the benefit for Sony?

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Living in Japan I've gotten way too used to O for accept and X for cancel, but every time I import some game from the US or buy it from the US store and it hasn't released yet in Japan (or in some cases, even after it has), it has the X for accept and it messes with my head all the time.
So yeah, if only to not have two ways to do it, and since most of the world went with the wrong option, I'm completely OK with X to accept.

If it's a system and game change, most people will get used to it in a few days tops (as in, muscle memory for X to accept overwriting older memories). I wish it had happened earlier though.

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Generalizations and Trolling
This only matters to people who moved to Japan so they can live the anime life.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Can't you remap the buttons in the OS? This sounds like a universal improvement since all games should now have the same mapping, so if you do want O to be confirm it will apply to everything.

If you can't remap buttons in the OS, what the hell is Sony still doing in 2006?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It makes sense to assimilate the input configurations across regions. It's less work on developers, it's less difficult for players that play games across multiple regions.

It also makes sense, that this process leans towards the system that the majority of their users are familiar with as it comes at a lower cost this way.

People here are overblowing it. If anything it's a decision they should have made 4 generations ago.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It makes sense to assimilate the input configurations across regions. It's less work on developers, it's less difficult for players that play games across multiple regions.

It also makes sense, that this process leans towards the system that the majority of their users are familiar with as it comes at a lower cost this way.

People here are overblowing it. If anything it's a decision they should have made 4 generations ago.

The decision about which button would be confirm and which button would be cancel *was* made 4 generations ago, so much so that they used the standardised symbol for confirm and cancel to label the buttons instead of numbers or letters like had been used before by console manufactures prior, then some execs in the Western branch of Sony changed it for the western release, then there was no enforcement when localising games, eventually resulting in this mess.

Can't you remap the buttons in the OS? This sounds like a universal improvement since all games should now have the same mapping, so if you do want O to be confirm it will apply to everything.

If you can't remap buttons in the OS, what the hell is Sony still doing in 2006?

We won't know until it's released, but the current word is that they have removed that feature.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4 generations ago in the PS1 era, there was still plenty of games that released in the west that used O for confirm and X for cancel. Nothing was truly ever standardized yet for PS1. MGS series even refused to adopt the X confirm and O cancel until the PS3.