• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does your PS5 controller make any noise?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
The noise concerns from the PS5 console are well known at this point.

But earlier today I decided to put my DualSense controller up to my ear and noticed that the controller itself appears to be suffering from coil whine.

The noise is most apparent from the touchpad area and USB-C port. I noticed the noise gets louder while playing a game.

Does yours suffer from any noise issues?

At this point I'm wondering whether it's normal, a sign of a potential issue, and more importantly whether there is any variance.

Here is a video:

Last edited:

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I know people have different ways of holding a controller when playing... but this is going too far.

May 24, 2019
Were you playing a game? The haptics are essentially sound drivers, so you'll hear stuff when they're going.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
No, but one of mine has been experiencing weird input lag and disconnects quite frequently lately since the last update. Haven't used my other one to compare yet though.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have the PS5 Digital controller edition or the controller with the disc drive?

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Would this not be much more likely to be the haptics and the adaptive trigger motors making noise?

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

But earlier today I decided to put my DualSense controller up to my ear and noticed that the controller itself appears to be suffering from coil whine.

The noise is most apparent from the USB-C port. I noticed the noise gets louder while playing a game.

At this point I'm wondering whether it's normal, a sign of a potential issue, and more importantly whether there is any variance.
There is a faint high pitched noise from both controllers, but only audible if i have my ear directly against it. One is from a PE and one is a standalone, they have to be less than one decimetre from my ear to hear it at all.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

The noise is most apparent from the USB-C port. I noticed the noise gets louder while playing a game.

lol no. I did notice last week I could audibly hear when the trigger engages as I got within interactable distance of one of those pullable threads in Sackboy though. Wouldn't have noticed normally but I had the sound off. 🤷‍♂️

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
omg it does, the sound it makes does change when messing with the mute button and entering game and going back to home screen

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
No, but I think I heard some coil whine from my TV remote when I put it in my ear just a little bit (it's blocky and obviously can't physically go very far).

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
Not coil whine but my R2 trigger does make a noise sometimes, like some loose parts rattling inside. I first noticed it when I played the rocket thruster level in Astro. If you played the game, you know the L2 R2 triggers go crazy during that part, I suspect something came loose there and now I can occasionally hear some rattling coming from the R2 trigger when I play games with adaptive triggers.

But it's not a constant noise, it doesn't happen when I play Valhalla. I think the warranty only cover the console itself and not the controller? I would buy another one but waiting for some new colours.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Xbox One (and I assume Series) controllers have some slight buzz or hum to them if you put them to your ear. Pretty sure it's normal with whatever features are stuffed into these things now. Don't know anything about the PS5 issues but I doubt this is technically "coil whine"

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Wasn't there a thread on this previously and it was closed because it was determined or assumed to be the motors? I'm getting deja vu

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Planning to pick one up for PC use soon. Hope I don't have or notice this problem.

everything about these consoles is being hyper analysed
More so than any other gen. And so many repeats. Cant wait for the next "So how are you liking you new console" thread. At least this is a unique premi—

Wasn't there a thread on this previously and it was closed because it was determined or assumed to be the motors? I'm getting deja vu

God damn it.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Coil whine is not something you commonly see in low-power battery-operated devices, because it takes a decent amount of current to produce the whine.

You may be hearing something else, like the servos used for force feedback, or maybe noise from the built-in speaker.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You guys are going to go fucking insane if you're only just realising that electricity makes noise.

It's also not coil whine. What I guess you're hearing is the white noise coming from the speaker.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
My xbox one s controller has it. At start it was annoying? But I got used to it, now I can't even hear it. Idk if it can be called CW, because it's a strange, and light buzz

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
is this......a new level of insight i was not aware of.....are you telling me Micolash was right?

d8fd40cd84dcda226a297ddb138a153e.jpg

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I have to call Sony about mine tomm. It won't stop spinning and making a noise..when the system is on.

My PS5 is also extremely loud upon boot as compared to my SerX