• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
As expected Valve are continuing build up their controller support, now including initial efforts on PS5 DualSense controller. (Xbox Series controllers also have support)
This is now available with Steam Input in the Steam Client Beta.

EDIT 18NOV2020 - Preliminary support has now been updated in the beta, which supports LED, trackpad, rumble, and gyro functionality.

Outlook looks good however that much like DS4, they will work towards full support.
If that becomes available, it can offer another avenue for players to utilise the controller's features as well as another method for native support in PC games.

"Steam Input" is the umbrella term referring to the entire collection of software, hardware, and configuration utilities that steam uses to interface with games.
It supports lots of controllers from all platforms allowing either native support or custom configurations, generally supporting all features of the controller.
The system allows for a ridiculous array binding solutions, overlays and switching between input modalities
More info on Steam Input can be found here

Last edited:

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
id imagine this initial support is under the umbrella of the Playstation controllers support, correct? as in, the option to enable on the controllers setting inside steam.

Besides that, fuck yeah. thank fuck i bought a Dualsense, believing this would've been added sooner rather than later.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they make something like DS4Windows for it, it's an amazing software. If the triggers are as good as the Xbox One and the rest as good as the DS4, the Dualsense could replace both of them for me on PC.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they make something like DS4Windows for it, it's an amazing software. If the triggers are as good as the Xbox One and the rest as good as the DS4, the Dualsense could replace both of them for me on PC.
the dev got gifted one 1-2 days ago. he already managed to make it work via usb and bluetooth.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
id imagine this initial support is under the umbrella of the Playstation controllers support, correct? as in, the option to enable on the controllers setting inside steam.

Besides that, fuck yeah. thank fuck i bought a Dualsense, believing this would've been added sooner rather than later.

Yeah I'd presume so, need to pick one up so I can mess around. DS4 is already fully supported with Steam Input, but clearly there is way to go with DS5 as they are not even at the point of supporting gyro yet, that has support in lots of controllers.
Nevertheless, I love that they've gone into it straight away. I look forward to seeing full support when get there.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd presume so, need to pick one up so I can mess around. DS4 is already fully supported with Steam Input, but clearly there is way to go with DS5 as they are not even at the point of supporting gyro yet, that has support in lots of controllers.
Nevertheless, I love that they've gone into it straight away. I look forward to seeing full support when get there.
same. glad i returned my 8bitdo controller and bought the dualsense. also, as pointed out earlier, progress is also being made by the DS4windows dev. would love to have both options, specially because of games from other stores, specially the MS Store.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Steam Client Beta Update - November 18th
Steam Input
  • Added additional support for the PS5 DualSense controller including LED, trackpad, rumble, and gyro functionality.
  • Added a directional swipe mode for use with trackpads and gyro

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
cant wait for my dualsense to arrive next week. Glad Valve has been this fast with the support.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Steam Client Beta Update - November 18th

Steam Input
  • Added additional support for the PS5 DualSense controller including LED, trackpad, rumble, and gyro functionality.
  • Added a directional swipe mode for use with trackpads and gyro

Apparently some of these features are currently broken over Bluetooth, Valve said in the thread that they hope to have that working in tomorrow's release.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really hope PC games start supporting haptics. The dualsense is incredible.

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
For gyro aiming fans that wander in and through here, I tested the gyro over wired and bluetooth. BenQ's tool and another both ready 250Hz over USB C and 500Hz over bluetooth. No drift. Not so sure that the bluetooth number isn't a fluke, because the tool reports 250hz for the dualshock 4. Either way though, it's polling higher than the DS4.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Steam Input
  • Implemented rumble over Bluetooth for the PS5 controller
  • Reduced rumble intensity for the PS5 controller
  • Allow external audio based haptics while rumble is enabled on the PS5 DualSense controller

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so used to the Xbox controller, still using an old wired 360 pad, but if they can get proper dualsense implementation in then it's time to swap to something new.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda cool that Steam and DS4W are competing for the first one to have the best DualSense support on PC.
yep. a lot of the community is banding up together to reverse engineer it with usb/BT sniffers and whatnot. there's someone doing an API for it, already managed to change the resistance of the triggers.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Am I supposed to be able to change the LED colors through Steam? I mess with the color slider bar but it doesn't do anything.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
The updates don't seem to apply to the Linux Client. Guess I'll just have to wait longer.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Worked for me... Are you sure you're in the Steam beta and you've restarted Steam?
Yep. Didn't work for me yesterday or with today's update. Also don't know if it's related but for some reason Final Fantasy 9 refuses to play nice with the Dualsense, even if I manually set the controls for it. X works for confirm and the left analog works but nothing else....unless I pull up the virtual steam keyboard then the game responds to my buttons properly. I don't know if it's MoguriMod causing issues tho....

The pains of PC gaming.