• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
No
The HDMI still goes from the Ps5 to the tv. HDMI 2.1 and all that.
Then you do HDMI out from your tv into the audio extractor and from that into your receiver or sound bar etc

I see. What's the difference between that and plugging my optical DAC straight into the optical port of my TV? Is it the latency (and the pain of having to switch TV audio sources every time)?

Oct 25, 2017
I see. What's the difference between that and plugging my optical DAC straight into the optical port of my TV? Is it the latency (and the pain of having to switch TV audio sources every time)?
Optical isn't lossless
You can't do trueHD and DTS audio over optical. But it isn't like it's bad
Edit:
support.klipsch.com

HDMI vs Optical

When it comes time to connect your shiny new sound bar or AV receiver, your two main choices are HDMI or optical digital audio. The simplest advice is to go with HDMI when you can. But if you can't...

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
In the past, this would have bothered me. Since I got a high res soundbar, I understand audio through hdmi is better. Also said soundbar and my TV have optical output so I'm covered there in that sense too.

I guess optical had a good run. Definitely used it alot on my ps3 when I had to rely on a headphone with audio amp for late night gaming.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
Optical isn't lossless
You can't do trueHD and DTS audio over optical. But it isn't like it's bad
Edit:
support.klipsch.com

HDMI vs Optical

When it comes time to connect your shiny new sound bar or AV receiver, your two main choices are HDMI or optical digital audio. The simplest advice is to go with HDMI when you can. But if you can't...
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. I don't look forward to experimenting with my options, haha.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
In the past, this would have bothered me. Since I got a high res soundbar, I understand audio through hdmi is better. Also said soundbar and my TV have optical output so I'm covered there in that sense too.

I guess optical had a good run. Definitely used it alot on my ps3 when I had to rely on a headphone with audio amp for late night gaming.
Optical had a great run. I remember getting a Sony 5.1 system in 2004, hooking up my PS2, and watching Lord of the Rings. It was glorious. The fact that it's been around for 20 years is damn impressive. But it just simply can't handle modern formats, so it's time for it to go.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes Optical cable goes from TV to HT and as for settings for PS4 it should be set to HDMI OUT as its Primary Output Port and audio format should be set to Bitstream (Dolby) for the TV its audio output should be set to optical and HDMI audio format should be set to bitstream and the audio format to dolby digital (This is based on a samsung tv maybe the setting are called different on your tv).

This way the PS4 sends the audio signal to the TV and the TV passes it through to HT via the optical port.

It worked, however, there's a slight delay in the audio. Is there any way of fixing this?

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
It worked, however, there's a slight delay in the audio. Is there any way of fixing this?

See if there is a AV sync correction option on the HT or on your tv and see if that fixes the problem here is a article from sony support about it:

If that doesnt fix your problem then your only option is to get a HDMI audio extractor a few have been posted in this thread or buy a new audio set.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
It's insane that manufacturers are still selling devices with optical inputs if they're meant to be playing anything above stereo. This is 100% on headphone and sounder manufacturers sticking to a port that's been obsolete for a long ass time.

what other inputs should they be using besides usb? hdmi? i don't think there's any gaming headsets that have hdmi connections afaik

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See if there is a AV sync correction option on the HT or on your tv and see if that fixes the problem here is a article from sony support about it:

If that doesnt fix your problem then your only option is to get a HDMI audio extractor a few have been posted in this thread or buy a new audio set.

Thanks! So a HDMI audio extractor will guaranteed fix the issue? Also, how do I go about connecting it? Do I plug the optical cable from the receiver to the extractor, then an HDMI cable (in or out?) from the extractor to the TV? Or is the opposite way?

Last edited:

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks! So a HDMI audio extractor will guaranteed fix the issue? Also, how do I go about connecting it? Do I plug the optical cable from the receiver to the extractor, then an HDMI cable (in or out?) from the extractor to the TV? Or is the opposite way?

From what I gather its a hdmi cable goes from console to HDMI IN on the extractor and then another hdmi cable from the HDMI out on the extractor to the TV and a optical cable goes from Optical out on the extractor to the HT, as for how well this all works cant tell ya never used them before but I see they are recommended in this very topic so maybe someone with a bit more experience using these devices can help you out.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Will the PS5 ship with the optical out splitter? If not, are they going to sell an "official" one?

Jan 10, 2018
Just read that the HDMI splitter that Astro is selling as a solution to the lack of optical does not support HDMI 2.1. So the question is how important 2.1 will be for the first year?

I hate compromises! Also no word on when a new gen of PS5 compatible headsets with Mixamps will reach us. :/

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just read that the HDMI splitter that Astro is selling as a solution to the lack of optical does not support HDMI 2.1. So the question is how important 2.1 will be for the first year?

I hate compromises! Also no word on when a new gen of PS5 compatible headsets with Mixamps will reach us. :/
2.1 should not be a deal breaker for most people at least initially unless you plan to run 120fps game modes like DiRT 5 on your TV that can support it. Personally i would only get the splitter if your not purchasing another headset for a while but otherwise i would try and upgrade your headset to a non-optical if you are having to compromise on 120fps modes that your TV could support.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
As an astro A50 PS4 owner, I'm not bothering with this adapter for now given the only thing we miss out on is the chat/game balance control on the right ear paddle, instead we'll have to use whatever PS5 gives us in it's equivalent of quick menu. I do use that paddle quite often, but I'll just wait and see what options become available. Being 2.0 only, there's nothing special about this adapter anyhow so random amazon no-name version would do the same job too if need be.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
2.1 should not be a deal breaker for most people at least initially unless you plan to run 120fps game modes like DiRT 5 on your TV that can support it. Personally i would only get the splitter if your not purchasing another headset for a while but otherwise i would try and upgrade your headset to a non-optical if you are having to compromise on 120fps modes that your TV could support.
VRR has to be using 120Hz to work properly at all frame rates - so it's not just for 120 FPS games.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the Astro splitter today, running it on the PS4 pro to see how it is - audio quality is somehow(?) better than audio from the PS4 optical port, doesn't introduce any noticeable input lag, still 60fps and still getting full res/60FPS.

I run all my console audio through my PC with Optical and with the Switch a line in so everything goes into the PC and out to wireless headphones so needed the splitter or my setup would have needed a complete rethink just for PS5.

So can't complain about it so far.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Got the Astro splitter today, running it on the PS4 pro to see how it is - audio quality is somehow(?) better than audio from the PS4 optical port, doesn't introduce any noticeable input lag, still 60fps and still getting full res/60FPS.

I run all my console audio through my PC with Optical and with the Switch a line in so everything goes into the PC and out to wireless headphones so needed the splitter or my setup would have needed a complete rethink just for PS5.

So can't complain about it so far.

The thing seems sold out which is a huge shame otherwise this would be perfect for me.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Asking why a console releasing in 2020 doesn't have optical audio port is about the same of asking why a GPU releasing in 2020 doesn't have a vga port.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So how much audio lag are we talking about doing hdmi>tv>optical out>sound system? I don't think I'd like to spend money on splitters/adapters/boxes.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Asking why a console releasing in 2020 doesn't have optical audio port is about the same of asking why a GPU releasing in 2020 doesn't have a vga port.
Not really, a lot of people don't have VGA monitors on their current computers. There's a fair number of headsets using optical for surround currently on the market that work fine on consoles currently on the market.

So how much audio lag are we talking about doing hdmi>tv>optical out>sound system? I don't think I'd like to spend money on splitters/adapters/boxes.
Depends entirely on the TV and even sometimes the audio format. My 2019 TCL 6-Series added about 60ms of audio lag iirc, as measured by me running the lag test in Crypt of the Necrodancer. Apparently it's a common problem with TVs that use Roku as the OS, some TVs it's fine if you have the output format in the TV set to PCM Stereo, and some (many?) TVs supposedly don't have a problem at all.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone recommend a good HDMI to Optical splitter? I want to connect my Logitech 5.1 system that supports DD and DTS to my PS5.

I have an old one I used on my WiiU and Switch, when I use it on my PS5 it gets no signal.

I assume I need one that supports 4k and HDR.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to get 5.1 DTS to my Logitech speaker system that uses optical with this:

Amazon.com: HDMI Audio Extractor 4K, NerdEthos HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink (5.1 SPDIF) + 3.5mm AUX Stereo Audio Converter, HDMI Audio Adapter, Supports HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2. 2, 4K@60Hz, 3D, Dolby 5.1: Home Audio & Theater
Buy HDMI Audio Extractor 4K, NerdEthos HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink (5.1 SPDIF) + 3.5mm AUX Stereo Audio Converter, HDMI Audio Adapter, Supports HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2. 2, 4K@60Hz, 3D, Dolby 5.1: Selector Switch Boxes - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

www.amazon.com

It works great, full 4k HDR passthrough as well with no audio lag.

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to get 5.1 DTS to my Logitech speaker system that uses optical with this:

Amazon.com: HDMI Audio Extractor 4K, NerdEthos HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink (5.1 SPDIF) + 3.5mm AUX Stereo Audio Converter, HDMI Audio Adapter, Supports HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2. 2, 4K@60Hz, 3D, Dolby 5.1: Home Audio & Theater
Buy HDMI Audio Extractor 4K, NerdEthos HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink (5.1 SPDIF) + 3.5mm AUX Stereo Audio Converter, HDMI Audio Adapter, Supports HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2. 2, 4K@60Hz, 3D, Dolby 5.1: Selector Switch Boxes - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

www.amazon.com

It works great, full 4k HDR passthrough as well with no audio lag.
Do you have the Logitech z5500?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
lol it's not like optical is outdated, which is the case for VGA. Optical can deliver uncompressed audio and surround sound, which is perfectly adequate in today's standards.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Optical had a great run. I remember getting a Sony 5.1 system in 2004, hooking up my PS2, and watching Lord of the Rings. It was glorious. The fact that it's been around for 20 years is damn impressive. But it just simply can't handle modern formats, so it's time for it to go.

A lot of people don't have high-end "modern format" sound systems. This is like saying, "USB 2 had a great run, but now that USB 3 is here it's time for USB 2 to retire."

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
lol it's not like optical is outdated, which is the case for VGA. Optical can deliver uncompressed audio and surround sound, which is perfectly adequate in today's standards.
It can't though. This is wrong. You can only get one at a time, not both.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Losing the optical out wouldn't be so bad if the new systems had better support for USB DACS. We're basically limited to wireless headphones (crap), mixamp (crap), low volume UAC1 dacs and of course plugging straight into the controller for some truly crap audio. Sony and Microsoft advertised 3d audio as the next big thing and then failed to support the hardware capable of using it. This all would have been fixed by including an optical port. It couldn't possibly cost much money to do so.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
A lot of people don't have high-end "modern format" sound systems. This is like saying, "USB 2 had a great run, but now that USB 3 is here it's time for USB 2 to retire."
You're comparing two different versions of the same connector that are backwards compatible. A better comparison would be "PS2 had a great run, but now that USB is here it's time for PS2 to retire" which it has because many computers don't even come with PS2 ports anymore.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You're comparing two different versions of the same connector that are backwards compatible. A better comparison would be "PS2 had a great run, but now that USB is here it's time for PS2 to retire" which it has because many computers don't even come with PS2 ports anymore.

For headphone users optical handles everything fine, there's nothing out of date about it for modern DACs.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017

Its completely outdated. It's from the era of S-Video and SCART.

Optical only has the bandwidth for lossless PCM stereo or lossy DD/DTS 5.1, which are now both ancient codecs.

In the world of HDMI and lossless surround sound formats, optical is a legacy that is well past being usable. Complaining that modern devices don't have optical out is like complaining they don't have component video.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Optical only has the bandwidth for lossless PCM stereo or lossy DD/DTS 5.1, which are now both ancient codecs.

In the world of HDMI and lossless surround sound formats, optical is a legacy that is well past being usable. Complaining that modern devices don't have optical out is like complaining they don't have component video.

Again, how is it outdated when it comes to headphone users?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

It is old; not outdated.
Electrical isolation is still a huge benefit in favor of optical connections, which is especially relevant for headphones.
It is low latency, avoids all of the compatibility issues of USB, and is easily split/switched - which is certainly not the case for USB.

I just use the optical out of my cx into my bryston dac. Problem solved.
The PS5 does not output 3D Audio over HDMI, so that doesn't solve anything for headphone users.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Losing the optical out wouldn't be so bad if the new systems had better support for USB DACS. We're basically limited to wireless headphones (crap), mixamp (crap), low volume UAC1 dacs and of course plugging straight into the controller for some truly crap audio. Sony and Microsoft advertised 3d audio as the next big thing and then failed to support the hardware capable of using it. This all would have been fixed by including an optical port. It couldn't possibly cost much money to do so.
Yes I'm strictly headphone based so I need the optical out. Optical to bryston bda3 dac to bryston bha1 headphone amp to abyss 1266tc phi headphones. Optical is essential for me.

Edit: the bryston dac has an hdmi input which I will have to try.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
It is old; not outdated.
Electrical isolation is still a huge benefit in favor of optical connections, which is especially relevant for headphones.
It is low latency, avoids all of the compatibility issues of USB, and is easily split/switched - which is certainly not the case for USB.

The PS5 does not output 3D Audio over HDMI, so that doesn't solve anything for headphone users.
I'm strictly headphone based and it does for me.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm strictly headphone based and it does for me.
So you do have the option to enable 3D Audio in the PS5 sound settings with an HDMI output selected?
Others have said that the option was grayed-out when HDMI was in use, but I did wonder if that was because their system was configured to more than 2 channels.

Oct 28, 2017
This is upsetting. I don't want the input lag of a HDMI chain through my A/V receiver. I would much rather hook my PS5 straight to the TV.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
If my TV has an optical port could I just plug my PS5 HDMI in and output via the optical to my headset receiver? Figure I may not be able to use the mic but it's fine if the audio quality is 100% okay

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Unfortunately the arc does not output anything to my dac so its back to optical. I couldn't get the arc to work with my 4k/60hz receiver either. I could not find a solution for this anywhere online.