• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adahel

May 28, 2018
Spain
In the mew article about the new Astro A20 headset, The Verge mentioned that PS5 doesn't have optical port
It gets a little more complicated for people who want to bring their PS4-ready Astro wireless headset to the PS5. Sony's next-gen console doesn't have an optical audio port, which seems like it spells trouble for headset owners.
Also, they say that Astro will release a HDMI-to-Optical audio splitter:
Instead, to make up for Sony's omission of the port, Astro is releasing an HDMI-to-optical audio splitter that will allow your headset to interface with the PS5 with no additional firmware needed. It supports HDMI 2.1, HDCP, and 4K passthrough. Astro says it won't introduce any input lag, and because it's Dolby-compliant product, the sound shouldn't be worse off, either.
Source:
www.theverge.com

Astro’s new A20 Gen 2 is its first headset made for the PS5 and Xbox Series X

Plus, see Astro’s plan to make many of its older headsets compatible with the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Destructroid also mention the HDMI-to-Optical splitter, suggesting a lack of Optical output
www.destructoid.com

Here's how your Astro Gaming headsets will work on PS5 and Xbox Series X

You may need an adapter Sony and Microsoft have already laid out how current-generation controllers will work on their next-gen...

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Optical is a pretty obsolete tech at this point. It doesn't support the newer lossless audio formats, and everything it did can be done with HDMI, only better.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
As long as I can pass through the audio through my TVs optical port I should be fine for my headphone amp
for everything else eARC is the superior choice

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, I was hoping they kept it. I use a DAC with my consoles when I bring them over to my desk. :/

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a used Pioneer HDMI receiver, I'm finally ready for new sound formats lol, but this sucks for those who needed an optical out.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as I can pass through the audio through my TVs optical port I should be fine for my headphone amp
for everything else eARC is the superior choice
This is my set up as well. Instead of one console set up, TV optical will play everything. It's the better investment

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember one of the gaming companies saying less than 1% of console headset users connect via optical, makes sense.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
A bummer for sure but unless you really need to use the optical port on the console, the one on your tv will work just fine.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
kind of expected HDMI 2.1 with eARC. If that's the case, I expect PS5 will support Dolby Atmos (playback at least)

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, guess I will need to change my audio setup a bit for next gen. I use an optical to rca adapter to hook it up to my cheap ass Logitech speakers lol. I guess I just need an hdmi to rca audio adapter for the ps5.

thematic

Oct 31, 2017
I'm using optical to output PS4 audio to my old Logitech Z680. I guess I need to buy Astro's $40 converter.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It was the only decent way I could use my headphones through my receiver on PS4 and probably the only good way to listen even at 5.1 set since eArc give audio delay (at least on my Plasma).

I was worrying about this and it sucks hard, it prevent me to use my whole receiver basically... for just few cents less for Sony.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Damn, my Logitech 5.1 surround sound getting ignored like that

So judging from the replies, I should be able to either buy a splitter or plus the optical cable into my TV and still get the ps5 audio that way? How does that last option work and also does this cause any delays in sound?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks balls. I'm gonna have to get that splitter, or just connect to the back of the TV. And I don't trust the DAC in TVs.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I am using the optical port :(
My tv and the ARC crap introduces a few ms of audio lag. The optical is so much better...

Grr.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. This sucks ass. What is so wrong about wanting my console to be able to hook up to my speakers?

Crax

May 21, 2018
Unless you're using a monitor, couldn't you just connect optical to the TV? Why would you want to connect it directly to the console?
Edit: Oh, is this for gaming headsets? I've never used any of them, but I guess they connect only with optical?

Last edited:

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Fuuuuck!

All my dacs use it! and my dacs are way more expensive that what ever the price the PS5 will cost.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck's sake....

My DAC/Amp set up uses Optical...

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully HDMI audio extractors with 2.1 support come out sooner rather than later for those of us with DAC/headphone amp setups.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that most people will just use a splitter anyway, what's the point in removing it.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're using a monitor, couldn't you just connect optical to the TV? Why would you want to connect it directly to the console?
You can, just depends on TV and how your set up will end up looking. My set up is TV optical digital audio out > DAC optical in > DAC stereo 3.5 cable line out > Amp line in > headphone.
So it can be a bit costly, which is annoying for those that have an already set up. I have to find a new way for my surround system to work on PS5

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Does not PS4 support generic audio devices through USB? You could add any audio device with optical out too.