• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still, HDR games do look awesome for the most part. This issue with PS5 is literally just that - an issue - it will get fixed.
This is one of like a thousand issues though.

First I've heard of HGIG. Sounds nice if you have a brand new TV and are playing one of the handful of games that support it. For everything else it's still the Wild West. "Looking awesome" doesn't mean anything to me if it doesn't look correct.

There are so many of these "it's just an issue" situations, that's exactly what makes HDR a pain in the ass. I'm sure it'll be good in like... 5-7 years. Until then, it'll remain disabled on all of my displays and sources.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Weird. Sony has always been good about things like this. This is pretty awful.
It is kind of weird, isn't it? For the longest time, the Xbox consoles had a messed up gamma curve that would display a more inaccurate picture on multiplaform games, and it took them a generation and a half to fix it. Now it's the PS5 displaying things messed up.

This ain't rocket science. Just output yo stuff right.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It is kind of weird, isn't it? For the longest time, the Xbox consoles had a messed up gamma curve that would display a more inaccurate picture on multiplaform games, and it took them a generation and a half to fix it. Now it's the PS5 displaying things messed up.

This ain't rocket science. Just output yo stuff right.

Also, MS Auto HDR is awesome (for me at least, I'm sure some purists dislike it).

I wonder if the fix (that's supposedly coming) will be a better output within the HDR container or reverting to the old system (SDR for SDR, HDR for HDR).

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Also, MS Auto HDR is awesome (for me at least, I'm sure some purists dislike it).

I wonder if the fix (that's supposedly coming) will be a better output within the HDR container or reverting to the old system (SDR for SDR, HDR for HDR).
Really, the old system would be best. That way the image is in its native container. But whatever they do to fix it is fine with me.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Really, the old system would be best. That way the image is in its native container. But whatever they do to fix it is fine with me.

Yeah, I prefer it, too. Especially since my TV has different settings for each signal - so, for example - I had the OLED light set to 70 for SDR and 100 for HDR. Now I'm forced to have 100 for both.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I prefer it, too. Especially since my TV has different settings for each signal - so, for example - I had the OLED light set to 70 for SDR and 100 for HDR. Now I'm forced to have 100 for both.
this is precisely why I disable HDR for non HDR content manually still. I have SDR OLED light on 25 compared to 100 for HDR lol
bring back the old system, the way xbox still does it, however you wanna describe it, please sony...

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've noticed an issue with sdr content also. I loaded up ratchet and clank since it got the 60fps update and the night time level looked waaaaaay too dark. Maybe the tv isn't exiting HDR mode when you leave the ps5 menu? I'm on a c8 oled

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This is super encouraging, at the very least for BC software. Thanks for doing follow-up on this.
It doesn't mean anything isn't happening, but if there is something it seems that it's some kind of post process applied.
Apparently Sony are working on a fix for something related to this

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The only game I had a problem was Control before the patch, the rest looks right to me.

But now I'm curious. Maybe I'll hook up my PS4 and do a comparison.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate how Control looks so washed out, but I have no idea if it is PS5's fault or not.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Here are my unscientific findings. First set is from a PS4 Pro. Second set is from a PS5. Both set to SDR, Low Black Level on a LG CX, Warm 2, same settings (50 color, 0 sharpness).

PS4 Pro
JDAxqBK.jpg

WL3uH4c.jpg

R6bri0J.jpg

uDi3Cvc.jpg

PS5
COYQOe7.jpg

pwW0WuS.jpg

LXONjya.jpg

PpgZbYv.jpg

For some reason, the PS5 has this cooler/bluish tint look? That's the only difference I could see. Though now that I look at both side by side, that does seem to be quite a difference.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Here are my unscientific findings. First set is from a PS4 Pro. Second set is from a PS5. Both set to SDR, Low Black Level on a LG CX, Warm 2, same settings (50 color, 0 sharpness).

PS4 Pro
JDAxqBK.jpg

WL3uH4c.jpg

R6bri0J.jpg

uDi3Cvc.jpg

PS5
COYQOe7.jpg

pwW0WuS.jpg

LXONjya.jpg

PpgZbYv.jpg

For some reason, the PS5 has this cooler/bluish tint look? That's the only difference I could see. Though now that I look at both side by side, that does seem to be quite a difference.
Is the PS5 on the same HDMI port? I think each HDMI port has its own color settings, so that could be the difference you are seeing. Seeing your pictures side by side I can see that the PS4 pro has a warmer picture, and PS5 looks more bluish.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is the PS5 on the same HDMI port? I think each HDMI port has its own color settings, so that could be the difference you are seeing. Seeing your pictures side by side I can see that the PS4 pro has a warmer picture, and PS5 looks more bluish.
Different hdmi, both connected directly to the TV. I made sure both had the same SDR settings on the TV (eg. Both set to Warm 2, same brightness, color settings, etc)

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Their SDR to HDR tonemapping makes SDR games look dimmer on my X930e than when HDR is turned off. The TV is a light canon and can do close to 800 nits full screen. On my OLED it looks fine because it never got that bright to begin with.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like Sony severely overthunk on this one and tried to solve a problem that didn't exist, creating even more problems. Just made HDR work the same as it did on PS4.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
What is wrong exactly? Yesterday I was switching HDR on and off on the PS5 and I couldn't tell if there was something different. It was with Soulstorm, so maybe not the best game to test this.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
nope. Just that something is happening.
Sorry to be a bother, but when you say "a fix is on the way for ps5", do you mean a fix is coming for native ps5 games only? And therefore ps4 back compat games will still have black crush? Or a "fix for ps5" meaning all games playable on ps5 will be fixed?

obviously have my fingers crossed all games will get fixed haha.