• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SeizenLaw

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
The new Nvidia cards are able to output 4K120 10-bit/HDR RGB to LG CX TVs which are only 40Gbps, so I don't think that .1 is an issue otherwise it would be an issue for a CX as well. There's been some (mild) speculation that the PS5 HDMI 2.1 port is actually less than 40Gbps. That may have been in this thread or a different one, they all blend together around a console launch.
I see, had not read about that yet. Was it suggested it could either be a hardware or a software limit (the latter which could eventually be patched)?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Could you please share photos of the "Video Output Information" of both the PS4 and PS5 when both are in SDR (and HDR too, if you don't mind, need to first open an HDR game on the PS4, of course)?

HDR is YUV422 on both, SDR is RGB on both.

My color space settings are correct. You can trust that I'd notice if I was getting black crush or a washed out image due to a mismatch. Full <-> full and limited <-> limited results in the same image.

That being said, I just loaded Bloodborne on PS5 again without changing any settings (after a reboot), and the gamma (what I mistakenly labeled as brightness/contrast in my previous post) is fixed in both SDR and HDR. The SDR looks very similar to PS4's SDR. That's pretty weird. HDR colors are of course still off from SDR. Changing the 4k video transfer rate setting to -1/-2 had no effect.

Last edited:

SeizenLaw

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
My color space settings are correct. You can trust that I'd notice if I was getting black crush or a washed out image due to a mismatch. Full <-> full and limited <-> limited results in the same image.

That being said, I just loaded Bloodborne on PS5 again without changing any settings (after a reboot), and the gamma (what I mistakenly labeled as brightness/contrast in my previous post) is fixed in both SDR and HDR. The SDR looks very similar to PS4's SDR. That's pretty weird. HDR colors are of course still off from SDR. Changing the 4k video transfer rate setting to -1/-2 had no effect.

Oh, I wasn't doubting your ability to spot the mismatch between them, just suggesting to try and use the other working combo anyway (as unlikely as I thought it could help). I see you've done it and it displays basically the same image, as expected. Myself I've always set it to High + Full if I can, as I don't watch any Blu-Ray movies and as long as the console is actually outputting Full.

Good to know it seems to have sorted itself out for SDR, though! Let's hope it sticks.

Last edited:

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Is there some kind of indicator in the UI whether a game is acutally HDR or just SDR?
Like, how do I know if for example all the new PS5 releases are HDR or have been actually rendered in SDR?

SeizenLaw

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Is there some kind of indicator in the UI whether a game is acutally HDR or just SDR?
Like, how do I know if for example all the new PS5 releases are HDR or have been actually rendered in SDR?
Unfortunately I don't think you'll know...
For now I will assume a game is actually HDR if it has HDR settings/calibration in-game.

On the PS4 I don't think I know of or ever played any that are HDR, but don't have HDR-specific options.
However, there's no guarantee things won't change on the PS5, if they start to simply use the system-wide HDR adjustment settings in the main UI, without any mention to HDR in-game.

SeizenLaw

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Horizon, Detroit, Uncharted 4, TLOUR, Spider-Man , Ghosts of Tsushima to name a few.
Out of those Horizon was the only one I tested after I got my current (and first ever) HDR TV, and it had an HDR mention in "Visual" settings. It seems to have been added later in patch 1.02.

Guess all those take the info from the system-wide HDR calibration? Thinking it will become more commonplace with the PS5.
Seems more likely we'll have to actively check online if a certain game is HDR or not, if we wish play SDR games at SDR.

Last edited:

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
When they came up with HDR, why the hell didn't they make it so that TVs would automatically communicate their peak brightness/contrast ratio and all that shit back to the sending device so we wouldn't have to manually calibrate that shit? Was that too much to ask?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Out of those Horizon was the only one I tested after I got my current (and first ever) HDR TV, and it had an HDR mention in "Visual" settings. It seems to have been added later in patch 1.02.

Guess all those take the info from the system-wide HDR calibration? Thinking it will become more commonplace with the PS5.
Seems more likely we'll have to actively check online if a certain game is HDR or not, if we wish play SDR games at SDR.
Only Ghost of Tsushima uses that setting currently . Everythign else uses a fixed output.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Too lazy to manually switch hdr on/off. I just tried watching non-HDR YouTube on PS5 as a test, man the colors are so off.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like you just have something calibrated wrong. I tested Wolfenstein II on my PS4 Pro vs. my PS5 and it looks exactly the same. Don't have Bloodborne installed right now but I guess I can check that out too and see how it looks for me.

ETA: Just want to say though, I appreciate the actual evidence on display here and will acknowledge that I agree that the top picture is the best here. Just not necessarily sure why that is.

Doesn't Wolfenstein II have HDR?

edit: nvm, might just Xbox Series X doing it's thing.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
Doesn't Wolfenstein II have HDR?

edit: nvm, might just Xbox Series X doing it's thing.
It does not on PS4, may on other platforms. It was the only game I had installed from my initial transfer that the internet said lacked HDR on PS4, and on loading it I did think walking around the sub hub looked washed out (there was also no HDR flicker, which my TV does get on PS4 when loading HDR games, so I can confirm that it does not have HDR on PS4). But then I loaded the game up on my old PS4 Pro and it was also washed out, so I guess that's just how it always looked.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
When they came up with HDR, why the hell didn't they make it so that TVs would automatically communicate their peak brightness/contrast ratio and all that shit back to the sending device so we wouldn't have to manually calibrate that shit? Was that too much to ask?

Dolby Vision does this, but only based upon a handful of parameters entered by the manufacturer .
As 🔜 as the user decides they don't like the image, turns on /off processing, changes the colour temperature to one they like the look of, it all goes out the window anyway.

Freesync Premium and compatible games also do the same thing.

That's what the system option on Playstation and Xbox is meant to help with now. Set it once by eye (accounting for user variabilities) and games just pull through the saved parameters.

The issue with this then becomes if a game hasn't used an appropriate display mapper - these values wont apply.
Like the ones that offer brightness and contrast as their only option. .

Last edited:

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Every native PS5 game is HDR and now that I think about it all games installed on my PS4 are HDR except for Persona and Digimon. One old and both are niche jrpg series that don't see much technical effort.

Every native ps5 game isn't in HDR.

Fortnite is an example (it has got a new console upgrade, this isn't a bc game). It looks great on my series x as it isn't forced into hdr but play it on ps5 and in comparison the colours are wrong and its darker.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Call me cynical or conspiratorial, but this genuinely feels like a misguided, corporate-mandated response to the Xbox Series X/S auto-HDR feature without the time or resources necessary to implement something like auto-HDR.

This doesn't feel like your usual excuse of "launch consoles have a lot of features missing from previous generations because of time constraints."

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Call me cynical or conspiratorial, but this genuinely feels like a misguided, corporate-mandated response to the Xbox Series X/S auto-HDR feature without the time or resources necessary to implement something like auto-HDR.

This doesn't feel like your usual excuse of "launch consoles have a lot of features missing from previous generations because of time constraints."

Nah, it's been done because it provides a more seamless experience to users and they can't create a system based purely on the newer hdmi 2.1 specifications.
If they had wanted to try and compete with MS, then they could have had an option that gave a more HDR-like effect. I half expect they will in future

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

Idk this isn't just something that consoles are doing. While researching a new Roku player for my gf's family I found out the 2020 Roku forces Dolby Vision on the display if capable and does the same thing as the PS5 here basically (though at least you can turn that off).

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Nah, it's been done because it provides a more seamless experience to users and they can't create a system based purely on the newer hdmi 2.1 specifications.
Ugh, that reasoning is so unbelievably daft that I had already ruled it out as a possibility. How absurd is it to believe that making the experience more "seamless" is worth sacrificing image quality and color accuracy in every SDR game?

Last edited:

Jonboy

Oct 30, 2017
If they had wanted to try and compete with MS, then they could have had an option that gave a more HDR-like effect. I half expect they will in future
You had a chance to do any more testing yourself yet? Curious to see your thoughts before I decide if it's worth disabling/enabling on a game by game basis. Still waiting on my PS5 so haven't seen it myself yet.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ugh, I had already ruled that out as a possibility because of how absurd it is to choose eliminating one or two seconds of your screen going dark in favor of accurately displaying SDR games.

Lots of the display issues on Xbox Series X are occuring when things switch, Tvs and receivers freaking out.
From a UX experience, this does solve a few other issues.
I think we shall see changes to PS5 over time, perhaps this is the fallback solution that even modern TVs are having to live with.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You had a chance to do any more testing yourself yet? Curious to see your thoughts before I decide if it's worth disabling/enabling on a game by game basis. Still waiting on my PS5 so haven't seen it myself yet.
PS5 next Thursday for me, like all the UK plebs.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Lots of the display issues on Xbox Series X are occuring when things switch, Tvs and receivers freaking out.
From a UX experience, this does solve a few other issues.
I think we shall see changes to PS5 over time, perhaps this is the fallback solution that even modern TVs are having to live with.
That's a fair point, I sidestepped a lot of those problems by not running my consoles through a receiver. But if that truly is the reasoning, would it really hurt to give users the option to change it back to the way the PS4 handles HDR? Hell, put up a warning that it may cause issues with your TV by enabling that option.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I tried playing a UHD movie tonight and it was all dim and drab looking. It definitely reminded me of the fake HDR on Disney+. HDR looks great in games otherwise. PS5 is my main player so I guess I won't be buying anymore of those.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I tried playing a UHD movie tonight and it was all dim and drab looking. It definitely reminded me of the fake HDR on Disney+. HDR looks great in games otherwise. PS5 is my main player so I guess I won't be buying anymore of those.

What do you mean fake HDR on Disney +?

As in the Mandalorian's crappy implementation? Disney plus itself supports HDR just fine from what I can tell, it's just some content that isn't great.

Edit: should say I'm talking Disney plus in general, I don't have a PS5 yet.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017

What does this have to do with the issue at hand? Was it an SDR UHD movie?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To you and some others it's a problem. For a lot of us including myself it isn't, looks just fine on my OLED. And honestly what game isn't HDR now a days.
Options are a good thing though. And color balance on a console isn't something that should be hand-waved away just because you personally don't see a problem. Seeing games as the studio originally intended them to be seen is a big deal to many of us.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean fake HDR on Disney +?

As in the Mandalorian's crappy implementation? Disney plus itself supports HDR just fine from what I can tell, it's just some content that isn't great.

Edit: should say I'm talking Disney plus in general, I don't have a PS5 yet.

I mean that's what came to mind when thinking of how to describe the image quality. For example when I watch something like one of their old animated films on there the brightness seems off. It's like it's far too dark. Like there's a solar eclipse happening or something. It really bothers me and makes everything look weirdly washed out. That's on Disney+ on my Apple TV which I have set to switch in and out of HDR modes. Nothing else in HDR on that device looks as bad as Disney+ and I heard they use some kinda container like PS5 to keep all their stuff looking consistant.

What does this have to do with the issue at hand? Was it an SDR UHD movie?
XWCLnW2.jpg

These are new to me, but as far as I know it should be 4k with HDR as long as I'm not playing the regular bluray also included in the case, which I am not.

A UHD blu-ray disc? Those have looked great on my PS5.
Maybe this one is a bad release? I found a review of it here: https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/51421/valerianandthecityofathousandplanets4kultrahdbluray.html

They also mention a Dolby Vision version in the review, but I have no idea where that is from. Maybe another release? This shit is so confusing haha. I hope it's just a one off fluke and other movies would look fine.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that's what came to mind when thinking of how to describe the image quality. For example when I watch something like one of their old animated films on there the brightness seems off. It's like it's far too dark. Like there's a solar eclipse happening or something. It really bothers me and makes everything look weirdly washed out. That's on Disney+ on my Apple TV which I have set to switch in and out of HDR modes. Nothing else in HDR on that device looks as bad as Disney+ and I heard they use some kinda container like PS5 to keep all their stuff looking consistant.

XWCLnW2.jpg

These are new to me, but as far as I know it should be 4k with HDR as long as I'm not playing the regular bluray also included in the case, which I am not.

Maybe this one is a bad release? I found a review of it here: https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/51421/valerianandthecityofathousandplanets4kultrahdbluray.html

They also mention a Dolby Vision version in the review, but I have no idea where that is from. Maybe another release? This shit is so confusing haha. I hope it's just a one off fluke and other movies would look fine.

Isn't that an Apple TV issue?

Disney plus looks fantastic on my TV using the TV app

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The little flicker going from an HDR game to the SDR menu on the Series X is a bit weird but like....I much rather that then forced HDR always.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe this is a false alarm. I think this is just a poorly done master for this particular movie. I chose poorly for my first UHD disc.
I have that disc too and it is very underwhelming. I actually really like the movie though.

The grading reccomendations have become much clearer since then, so we see less of those dim pieces of content compared to even a year ago.

Pro Tip: Moana
^One of the best pieces of HDR content there is

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I have that disc too and it is very underwhelming. I actually really like the movie though.

The grading reccomendations have become much clearer since then, so we see less of those dim pieces of content compared to even a year ago.

Pro Tip: Moana
^One of the best pieces of HDR content there is

Thank you for confirming that. When I first got my 4k TV a few years ago I had a lot of trouble getting HDR to work right because streaming services handled it all so differently. I was getting pretty irritated that I was potentially playing that game again with the PS5. It's crazy to put in the regular bluray of this movie and see how much more bright and vivid it is. I'll definitely check out Moana soon, but do you recommend the D+ version or is it the kind of thing where the UHD disc looks better?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for confirming that. When I first got my 4k TV a few years ago I had a lot of trouble getting HDR to work right because streaming services handled it all so differently. I was getting pretty irritated that I was potentially playing that game again with the PS5. It's crazy to put in the regular bluray of this movie and see how much more bright and vivid it is. I'll definitely check out Moana soon, but do you recommend the D+ version or is it the kind of thing where the UHD disc looks better?
The HDR is the same on D+

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Had to disable HDR from the system menu as this just never looked good on my Vizio. I mean - it's a $600 cndn Visio from 2018, so HDR not being the most stellar example isn't that surprising, but with the 'old way' of the Pro it was a little less hassle as some games do work pretty well with it, such as Horizon:Zero Dawn, so I would just keep it enabled in those games and leave it on automatic at the system level and my SDR games would run in SDR mode on my TV and look as expect3ed.

With this on though, SDR games look noticeably worse. Turning this off gets the proper colour saturation back, so this is little bit of extra hassle now. Ah well.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried it with Bloodborne. It was a little darker than it should be, but raising the in-game brightness fixed it nicely. Luckily nearly all games have brightness sliders...

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I have to say I fired up Arkham Asylum and Arkham Knight and they look pretty fine with some of the lights a bit bright etc. Knight didn't look as good as it does with Auto HDR on Series X but was "fine" imo in case anyone is super worried about this.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I tested this out with Guilty Gear and it looks pretty different playing in SDR vs forced HDR. Definitely going to be turning off HDR. Do we have a definitive listing of games that run in HDR, I guess its reference material going forward for all PS5 owners.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
On my Samsung Q90T, the forced HDR on SDR games looks bad. It makes games way too dark and ruins color accuracy. I hope they give us the option to turn off HDR for SDR games in the future.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
On my Samsung Q90T, the forced HDR on SDR games looks bad. It makes games way too dark and ruins color accuracy. I hope they give us the option to turn off HDR for SDR games in the future.
They do, its in the system settings. The only difference between this is and the ps4, was it correctly matched HDR only if the game did. It's why we basically have to have a reference guide for what games natively support HDR and manually turn it on.

Oct 27, 2017
Love the console, but this basically prevents using the PS5 as a streaming device for anything SDR. It makes things way too dark and ruins the colors on that content on everything g I've tested within Netflix and Amazon. When I switched over to the TV apps the difference was startling.

Really hope they change this.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I ever really noticed a difference between Low (TV) + Limited (Console) and High (TV) + Full (Console) combos myself (on a C9 with a PS4 Pro), but supposedly games are mastered at Full range. The issue arises if one later wants to watch Blu-Ray movies on the console, which are usually mastered at a Limited range.
I used to think that the output would be the same as long as you had matching range settings between devices, but I've recently tested my PS3 after I got my LG CX and Limited/Low is definitely different from High/Full (so you end up with 4 different variations of output), and I was told in the TV thread that Limited/Low is what I really want always, in all instances. Not sure if that's the case too with the PS4 and PS5 and other devices.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
They do, its in the system settings. The only difference between this is and the ps4, was it correctly matched HDR only if the game did. It's why we basically have to have a reference guide for what games natively support HDR and manually turn it on.
Not the same thing. PS4 wasn't in HDR mode until it detected an HDR game running, which is much better than HDR simply always being on like PS5 does it. And yeah I know we can disable HDR in the settings, but turning it on and off when switching games is a hassle.