• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
Instead of switching the HDR off for SDR content it leaves it on and attempts to make it look normal by altering the image.
Whoa, that's cool. No more blackout for few secs, esp from the SDR menu to the HDR media stream (The video is still playing on blackout by HDR switch)

Amazon Prime Video has a problem from the blackouts by the switching SDR and HDR when if bandwidth dropping. No more blackout.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
There's a lot that can happen in that process and in terms of differentiating results.
And DF said the results were a brighter picture across the board instead of highlights like you would see in a proper HDR conversion. This isn't the end of the world for most people but it isn't the same as what Microsoft is doing and for anyone wanting image accuracy this sucks.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And DF said the results were a brighter picture across the board instead of highlights like you would see in a proper HDR conversion. This isn't the end of the world for most people but it isn't the same as what Microsoft is doing and for anyone wanting image accuracy this sucks.

Do you have a link to them saying this? Perhaps I missed it? A brighter image across the board would mean washed out blacks (eg no longer pure black on an OLED) and shadow detail, but as far as I know, nobody has complained about this, so if blacks are not being brightness boosted to being washed out, presumably some sort of tone mapping beyond what is being described, may be taking place.

I honestly think this needs an EvilBoris or HDTVtest full video analysis before jumping to conclusions. Though to be fair, we could compare and contrast real world differences non scientifically ourselves when we get the system. All we'd need is two copies of the same SDR game, one running on a PS4, one on a PS5.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, that's cool. No more blackout for few secs, esp from the SDR menu to the HDR media stream (The video is still playing on blackout by HDR switch)

Amazon Prime Video has a problem from the blackouts by the switching SDR and HDR when if bandwidth dropping. No more blackout.

The problem is you now get an inaccurate picture being displayed. The brief blackout is better than always having an inaccurate picture.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Do we know if this affects non-HDR Blu-ray playback on the PS5? If not then I don't really mind, but if it does I'll have to get a separate Blu-ray player, which I guess means I can go with a digital PS5.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if this affects non-HDR Blu-ray playback on the PS5? If not then I don't really mind, but if it does I'll have to get a separate Blu-ray player, which I guess means I can go with a digital PS5.
There seems to be an embargo on all media functions of the PS5 until Wednesday I think, so I don't think anyone has that information yet.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
There seems to be an embargo on all media functions of the PS5 until Wednesday I think, so I don't think anyone has that information yet.
Well good thing I couldn't get a preorder lol. Thanks, will definitely help inform my decision when I can finally maybe get my hands on one next year.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If there's anyone here that understands display tech that'd be great.

When PS5 is in 4K/120, it utilises YUV422 (so no HDR able to be enabled) but when it's in 4K/60 it's in RGB (so HDR is enabled). Would this be the PS5 of the Tv?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

When PS5 is in 4K/120, it utilises YUV422 (so no HDR able to be enabled) but when it's in 4K/60 it's in RGB (so HDR is enabled). Would this be the PS5 of the Tv?

HDR does not require 4:4:4, it can still be used perfectly well with 4:2:2. This is what the PS4 Pro did since it only had HDMI 2.0, and LG OLEDs downsample everything to 4:2:2 anyway when in any other picture mode but PC. Hell, HDR movies are still mastered in 4:2:0.

Last edited:

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
SDR content will be dying in the next few years

Stream buffer from SDR to HDR needs to stop tho.

As long as the system is backwards compatible, SDR will be relevant. As long as media apps have SDR content, SDR will be relevant. SDR isn't going away this generation.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
HDR does not require 4:4:4, it can still be used perfectly well with 4:2:2. This is what the PS4 Pro did since it only had HDMI 2.0 and LG OLEDs downsample everything to 4:2:2 anyway when in any other picture mode but PC. Hell, HDR movies are still mastered in 4:2:0.

Interesting. I wonder why my PS5 says that HDR is off then when utilising 4K/120. Everything looks off. Haven't been able to fix it.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. I wonder why my PS5 says that HDR is off then when utilising 4K/120. Everything looks off. Haven't been able to fix it.

It's certainly weird. How does your settings screen compare to digital foundries?

HrbT7a0.jpg

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
As long as the system is backwards compatible, SDR will be relevant. As long as media apps have SDR content, SDR will be relevant. SDR isn't going away this generation.
Switch HDR to SDR with no blackout still pretty cool to me no matter how you want to change my mind. Blackout is far more annoying for me

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Stay HDR when SDR still pretty cool to me no matter how you want to change my mind. Blackout is far more annoying for me

I don't get why someone would invest money in a 4K TV and care about HDR but then not care about image quality. The blackout is for a brief moment; the image quality stays the entire time.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
Colors being displayed accurately is a part of image quality. Otherwise it wouldn't matter if people left their TV sets in Vivid mode.
Fair, but honest all 4K screen look virtually the same in resolution wise. The image colour can be different from budget to expensive TVs.

And yes I don't go buy the most expensive 4K HDR TV. I got one for $350 that because I don't care for it picture engine and only looked for the cheapest HDR (10/DV) and 4K@60 supports are enough for me. hehe, Cheapass am I?.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Do you have a link to them saying this? Perhaps I missed it? A brighter image across the board would mean washed out blacks (eg no longer pure black on an OLED) and shadow detail, but as far as I know, nobody has complained about this, so if blacks are not being brightness boosted to being washed out, presumably some sort of tone mapping beyond what is being described, may be taking place.

I honestly think this needs an EvilBoris or HDTVtest full video analysis before jumping to conclusions. Though to be fair, we could compare and contrast real world differences non scientifically ourselves when we get the system. All we'd need is two copies of the same SDR game, one running on a PS4, one on a PS5.
DF talks about it during their PS5 backwards compatibility video. As far as what is happening to the image, they are obviously trying to tone map the image one to one from SDR to HDR. So blacks aren't necessarily messed up but apparently whites and the overall picture looks brighter than it should while the colors aren't accurate. It is akin to what happens with the Netflix app on Xbox and PS4. You aren't getting the developer intended image but you aren't getting an approximation of what an HDR image might look like either. You are getting a fake SDR image that is displayed by your TV's HDR mode which isn't setup to display tone mapped SDR in the first place.

Edit:Watching the PS5 review from DF and they actually say they like the bright image and that it looks good on OLED, so I guess it is wait and see for people that care.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Fair, but honest all 4K screen look virtually the same in resolution wise. The image colour can be different from budget to expensive TVs.

And yes I don't go buy the most expensive 4K HDR TV. I got one for $350 that because I don't care for it picture engine and only looked for the cheapest HDR (10/DV) and 4K@60 supports are enough for me. hehe, Cheapass am I?.
I mean 4k is just the amount of pixels you are looking at. 4K is 4K. What's actually important with your TV is the quality of said pixels. How is the pixel lit, what colors actually make up the pixel, what processing does your TV add to change the look of the pixels. If you don't care about image quality then you should be set with your TV. Some or a lot of people do care though.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
This gives me hope for Plex running proper HDR videos now and since the PS4 app already output in proper PCM, we might finally have a second streaming box that can handle lossless audio with full 4k HDR content. Only the Nvidia Shield Pro can do it now. This will save me money.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I seem to recall there being some Samsung TVs which only support 120Hz in SDR - so it might be your display (Samsung or not).

Newer displays should be able to do the switch without blanking though, so it compromises image quality for convenience, when that convenience is no longer required.
They should have Auto/On/Off options for HDR, with Auto switching to an SDR output for SDR sources.

8-bit to 10-bit conversion is straight 1:4. Black is black and white is white. The only difference will be your TV's calibration for HDR content. For my TV, the only difference is the backlight, and it's not that much brighter than its normal mode. I doubt I would even notice anything if DF hadn't mentioned it and everyone here started panicking about it.
You're describing 10-bit SDR, not HDR.
Values do not map 1:1 (or 1:4) between SDR and HDR, as they use entirely different transfer functions (Gamma / PQ EOTF).
You also have to remap the colorspace from BT.709 into DisplayP3 or BT.2020 to avoid oversaturation.

…you can make an image brighter without affecting the black level.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
They should have Auto/On/Off options for HDR, with Auto switching to an SDR output for SDR sources.
Talk to them cos it sounds fixable via OS update.

That's great on newest model lesser blackout but I got 2020 model and blackout issue is still there.

I mean 4k is just the amount of pixels you are looking at. 4K is 4K. What's actually important with your TV is the quality of said pixels. How is the pixel lit, what colors actually make up the pixel, what processing does your TV add to change the look of the pixels. If you don't care about image quality then you should be set with your TV. Some or a lot of people do care though.
like I said, picture working appear is good enough. Don't care of processing or filtering. Just give me picture without setting anything on the TV.
i can understand people care cos those people who spent lot of money for TV.

Last edited:

Galatico91

May 23, 2020
This will impact on stream a game directly from PS5? Like, on PS4 if you stream a game and play in HDR the colors goes all wrong on Twitch. This option will correct that?

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This will impact on stream a game directly from PS5? Like, on PS4 if you stream a game and play in HDR the colors goes all wrong on Twitch. This option will correct that?
There needs to be something that tone maps things back to SDR for output to Twitch. So either your console or Twitch would have to do that before displaying the image.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
Edit:Watching the PS5 review from DF and they actually say they like the bright image and that it looks good on OLED, so I guess it is wait and see for people that care.
This is why I'm not understanding the concern. Nobody who actually has a PS5 at the moment has said anything bad about it, including the guys whose job is literally to analyze picture quality. Everybody is just jumping to conclusions.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
This is why I'm not understanding the concern. Nobody who actually has a PS5 at the moment has said anything bad about it, including the guys whose job is literally to analyze picture quality. Everybody is just jumping to conclusions.

This isn't something that you need an expert to chime in on. This will result in an inaccurate image due to the fact that your TV will be using its HDR settings to display what should be an SDR image. Whether or not it looks bad is going to be subjective, but there is absolutely no denying that the image will no longer be accurate.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Well the image won't be one to one and they aren't doing something akin to auto HDR, so why do it at all? Ultimately this will be a non-issue for most but for those of us who calibrate our TVs, care about color accuracy, etc. forcing HDR by just tone mapping from SDR isn't ideal.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Yeah that's a downgrade from the way the PS4 set-up was. I hope they give an option to toggle it back to not force SDR content to display as HDR since I do indeed have my TV set-up differently when it detects a HDR signal

Deleted member 6511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope is better than what Netflix does on PS4 Pro. I went on to completely disable HDR at system level to avoid the washout image.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
For those with a bit more technical know how than me can someone answer me this?

On my ps4 pro now if I play a hdr game, then go back to the ps4 menu (without exiting the game), hdr "stays on" and all my colours on the main menu etc look washed out. If i close the game, the screen goes black and back to sdr and my colours look normal again once the change has been made.

Does the ps5 with hdr on all the time mean my colours are always going to look washed out on games etc that don't support hdr? This is a real downer if true.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It should not if the TV is calibrated correctly, look brighter should be the only side effect.

In general, the effect is an artificially dark image if they haven't accounted for this this a brightening pass. This is the issue Disney+ still has with a lot of its "HDR" (not actually HDR) content sent using an HDR signal. Even when the darkened output is accounted for, the brightening pass can cause color accuracy/vibrancy issues, so it's a balancing act. They may have gotten it right, but we'll just have to see as time goes on.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017

Could be either one, but I'm guessing it's your tv. HDR could have been disabled because of bandwidth issues etc at 4k/120 on that set. If it's a PS5 issue, yikes...

Curious about the the state of VRR on the PS5 also. Guess we'll find out in a few days when more people get their hands on them.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mine flicks between RGB and YU422. Just weird behavior. I'm getting four screens when I try play a 4K/120Hz game on Xbox Series X.
Welcome to the world of early HDMI 2.1 adoption! It's been a mess for all of us, just a different mess for each type of TV.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Welcome to the world of early HDMI 2.1 adoption! It's been a mess for all of us, just a different mess for each type of TV.
Yep. 2.1 is wildly inconsistent, some TVs are getting firmware updates and some not. It's unfortunately going to take a while to settle too, this is not something that gets resolved overnight.

west

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't something that you need an expert to chime in on. This will result in an inaccurate image due to the fact that your TV will be using its HDR settings to display what should be an SDR image. Whether or not it looks bad is going to be subjective, but there is absolutely no denying that the image will no longer be accurate.
This confused me. Is SDR not just a subset of HDR? Ie if set up correctly it will still be 100% correct? It will be capped at 100 nits as it is mastered, but still correct. No? I need someone to explain this too me. I get that people over brighten their sdr and hdr usually blocks that.

Deleted member 6511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those with a bit more technical know how than me can someone answer me this?

On my ps4 pro now if I play a hdr game, then go back to the ps4 menu (without exiting the game), hdr "stays on" and all my colours on the main menu etc look washed out. If i close the game, the screen goes black and back to sdr and my colours look normal again once the change has been made.

Does the ps5 with hdr on all the time mean my colours are always going to look washed out on games etc that don't support hdr? This is a real downer if true.
That is exactly of I am afraid of.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't hdmi 2.1 supported devices x tvs supposed to eliminate that hitch when switching? Or am I remembering incorrectly.
If you're referring to QMS then it only eliminates connection re-intialization when changing the display frequency (like from 60 to 120 Hz and back) while staying in the same resolution and color mode. And in it's core it's little more than taking advantage of VRR capabilities which allow this to function. So a TV and output device must support VRR for QMS to work.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
This confused me. Is SDR not just a subset of HDR? Ie if set up correctly it will still be 100% correct? It will be capped at 100 nits as it is mastered, but still correct. No? I need someone to explain this too me. I get that people over brighten their sdr and hdr usually blocks that.
I think the biggest issue people are worried about is the colour range.

But I've found most tvs automatically switch anyway depending what they're receiving

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

The opposite, it means they will always look good.