• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of this at all. PS5 UX seems horribly underbaked. Hopefully this is changed with a later update.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you don't think Sony would have advertised that? If Sony has their own top secret auto hdr feature then cool I guess, but come on now.

Last week people thought BC games on PS5 would have choppy compatibility and that only a select few titles would get boosted performance, now we know that every game gets boosted performance, and that BC on the whole works exceptionally well. Just because Sony isn't as loud with marketing certain things, doesn't mean they haven't put some focus on it.

That's been a common theme with Sony on certain tertiary stuff, eg same with input latency with their controllers etc. It's not stuff they advertise or put a name to, it just is.

I'd wait for outlets to test Sony's auto HDR implementation here before deriding it, especially when it's something not a single outlet, journalist or influencer has complained about, despite lots of testing. Though I do agree they should at least have an option not to automate it.

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
What TVs have an SDR to HDR transition with a blank screen?

My Samsung Q90R is seamless. I can't even tell it happened.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
It's mostly fine. The only thing I've found that's a bit annoying is some colour banding in certain game's skyboxes. It looks like it's there without HDR, but the HDR wrapper kind of oversates it. Aside from that, I kinda like the effect
Do you mind confirming the options available under HDR in the Screen settings menu? I know one is Automatic. What are the others?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Given the very obvious "1.0"-ness of the shipping software I'm sure that this will be something that gets patched in. PS5 OS is definitely coming in hot for launch but I don't think it will be a problem long term, just a sucky inconvenience for the few who were actually able to get a console for launch.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Is this done because the OS is now more of an overlay and not independent?
They definitely want to avoid the issues in menus that PS4 had and very likely also want to avoid the switching caused by TVs by switching from HDR to SDR and back.
The easiest way to achieve that is to always enable HDR right now, but then you have more work to do to always reproduce SDR content correctly.

Sony has years of experience with HDR, mastering, tone mapping and so on. Until someone tests it properly, I'm more likely to assume they got it right.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
consumer tech is so fucking frustrating at the moment lol
I feel like there is an inherent flaw in how hdr standards were created for this to even be an issue
then there's the whole hdmi 2.1 nightmare of nothing just working properly or devices only implementing some features
and usb 3/c/thunderbolt is a whole other one

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Worth noting for people with OLEDs worried about burn in that this will only increase risk of burn in if the OS uses max brightness on its HUD elements and tonemaps SDR content all the way up to max brightness, which it almost certainly won't. We'll know for sure once the champ EvilBoris gets his hands on it!

Edit: Beaten by Rente above.

I'f be surprised if they take it much above 300-400 nuts to be honest, the goal probably not to create an "HDR effect" as xbox is doing, it's to help the SDR content sit alongside HDR content.
Many users using a set in SDR mode will probably have an image similarly Bright. So I wouldnt be concerned about that.
Hopefully they will have. Setting like in Windows which allows you to adjust that brightness

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'f be surprised if they take it much above 300-400 nuts to be honest, the goal probably not to create an "HDR effect" as xbox is doing, it's to help the SDR content sit alongside HDR content.
Many users using a set in SDR mode will probably have an image similarly Bright. So I wouldnt be concerned about that.
Hopefully they will have. Setting like in Windows which allows you to adjust that brightness

Yes but there's still the issue of TV settings themselves. On my 900E my brightness is at max for HDR content. SDR sits at 15. Even if they output a low nit value for the menu, my tv will still be set to max brightness, right? Theres also local dimming and Xtended range settings that I have different for HDR. It makes a big difference on my tv's picture.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's always frustrating to see something that worked just fine in the previous gen get messed up in the new gen. Now I'll have to maintain a list of games that actually have HDR support and turn off HDR unless I'm playing one of them.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
No offense but you don't understand what you're talking about. The PS5 is going to send an HDR signal which will put your TV in HDR mode. HDR mode on your TV is less accurate and overly bright when viewing SDR content. That is an objective fact.
Have you seen some of the poor/fake HDR blu-rays with nothing in the HDR nits? They don't get blown out and become overly bright even when your TV is in HDR mode.

Blade runner 4k blu ray brightness is no different in HDR with your TV in HDR, vs. in SDR (blu-ray) with your tv in SDR.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

If there's a "paperwhite" setting OS wide that sets the luminance for SDR content then I think I could live with that (although I'd still prefer the PS4/Xbox One solution). If there's no user control and you're beholden to whatever luminance levels for SDR that Sony see fit then that's really not a good solution. I look forward to any hands on testing you're able to do. Will be good to see how bright highlights get to in the OS, hopefully Sony haven't gone and added 1000 nits highlights in there.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Now I can't decide what I want first - folders, game swap, or a toggle to address this. At least we'll get more than stability updates for awhile. This OS is definitely coming in hot.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
What is the significance in needing to remove that black screen change from SDR to HDR with the HDR logo appearing? Will watch the video soon. I guess the smoother transition. But like, I didn't see this as an issue. If the content is SDR, it is what it is, of course.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm not saying it should be removed, but rather a content dependent toggle should be added, if it's not there already.
I agree that there should be a toggle. I recently purchased the new Chromecast with Google TV, and I wasn't a fan of how flat the colors looked on the home screen, so I turned on a similar feature to make the colors pop more. While it made the home screen look fantastic by enabling HDR, it applied the same effect to all of the content I watched, and skin tones in particular (even on The Simpsons) looked absolutely terrible.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yes but there's still the issue of TV settings themselves. On my 900E my brightness is at max for HDR content. SDR sits at 15. Even if they output a low nit value for the menu, my tv will still be set to max brightness, right? Theres also local dimming and Xtended range settings that I have different for HDR. It makes a big difference on my tv's picture.

in HDR mode that just means the back light can re a b max brightness if requires by the content. The dimming means that the brightness will rarely be at "max". They shouldn't really have a backlight option to use when in HDR mode.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Amazing how many people are willing to defend a decision a console maker made, even though they don't understand what's being discussed at all.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
What is the significance in needing to remove that black screen change from SDR to HDR with the HDR logo appearing? Will watch the video soon. I guess the smoother transition. But like, I didn't see this as an issue. If the content is SDR, it is what it is, of course.
I think the issue might be that transitions back and forth from a HDR game to an SDR OS may not be as smooth or fast on TVs that have those transitions to apply different sets of settings. So the experience can suffer signifciantly.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Have you seen some of the poor/fake HDR blu-rays with nothing in the HDR nits? They don't get blown out and become overly bright even when your TV is in HDR mode.

Blade runner 4k blu ray brightness is no different in HDR with your TV in HDR, vs. in SDR (blu-ray) with your tv in SDR.

It's not the source that's increasing the brightness... It's your TV's settings. It doesn't matter if it's an empty HDR signal. Your TV is still going to go into HDR mode where the brightness, contrast, and backlight settings are well above what they are in SDR.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tv is set to max brightness so that in HDR it can hit those peaks. If the tv is just displaying SDR content in that mode it probably won't ever hit that high brightness, but obviously if you find the resulting image to be too dim you can't up the brightness and if you find it too bright you're now changing settings that you'd need to switch back when displaying proper HDR content.

I think the issue might be that transitions back and forth from a HDR game to an SDR OS may not be as smooth or fast on TVs that have those transitions to apply different sets of settings. So the experience can suffer signifciantly.
That feels like a non excuse when you can just make the OS compatible with both HDR and SDR signals. I'm pretty sure the PS4 does it. I don't remember any black screens when going back and forth befeeen the Home Screen and an HDR game. The only time that black screen would pop up was when the game launched.

just to make sure I wasn't crazy I checked. Booted up my PS4: OS is in SDR. Launched Spider-Man: tv went into HDR mode in game. Pressed the PlayStation button to go back to the OS: OS is in HDR. Only when I manually closed the game did it go into a quick black screen on the OS, but when the game was running in the background everything was seamless. The only time you'd get that flicker would be when switching from an HDR app to an SDR app or vice versa.

if the PS4 can do it there's no excuse.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
God I hate this one step forward, two steps back approach to next-gen UI design and features. People have been complaining about it, but the approach Microsoft took to using the exact same interface that's running on Xbox One was absolutely the right call. We'll probably be waiting 1-2 years for the PS5 to match feature parity with the PS4 if the last gen is any indication.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I hate this one step forward, two steps back approach to next-gen UI design and features. People have been complaining about it, but the approach Microsoft took to using the exact same interface that's running on Xbox One was absolutely the right call. We'll probably be waiting 1-2 years for the PS5 to match feature parity with the PS4 if the last gen is any indication.
Yeah i mixed about this
I love PS UI, and i looove having a new one . Feels more next gen. Buuuuuut if that means removing features..... i would stick with an old UI. HDR switch and Folders are missing and this aint small

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Yeah i mixed about this
I love PS UI, and i looove having a new one . Feels more next gen. Buuuuuut if that means removing features..... i would stick with an old UI. HDR switch and Folders are missing and this aint small
Patch notes for PS5 games are also missing apparently. Not having folders is genuinely inexcusable, especially with how the interface only displays like 10 games at a time it seems.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The tv is set to max brightness so that in HDR it can hit those peaks. If the tv is just displaying SDR content in that mode it probably won't ever hit that high brightness, but obviously if you find the resulting image to be too dim you can't up the brightness and if you find it too bright you're now changing settings that you'd need to switch back when displaying proper HDR content.

That feels like a non excuse when you can just make the OS compatible with both HDR and SDR signals. I'm pretty sure the PS4 does it. I don't remember any black screens when going back and forth befeeen the Home Screen and an HDR game. The only time that black screen would pop up was when the game launched.

just to make sure I wasn't crazy I checked. Booted up my PS4: OS is in SDR. Launched Spider-Man: tv went into HDR mode in game. Pressed the PlayStation button to go back to the OS: OS is in HDR. Only when I manually closed the game did it go into a quick black screen on the OS, but when the game was running in the background everything was seamless. The only time you'd get that flicker would be when switching from an HDR app to an SDR app or vice versa.

if the PS4 can do it there's no excuse.
Take a look at the menus while Spider-Man is running in HDR - what do you notice? Right, there are color distortions and fine text is not always perfectly legible.
Also, switching between SDR and HDR picture modes may be something Sony wants to get rid of. It visibly interrupts direct loading (which is now extremely fast) in games and applications.

I also hope that there is an option to toggle this behavior, because there are televisions that manage these picture modes completely nonsensically, but it is not generally a problem as some make it look like here.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda understandable, as long as there's an option to turn it off. People are just uneducated and would probably think the console or TV is broken if the image flashes during the transition. Likely also the reason why it's the default setting on ATV4K.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
lol but the experience of your game looking bad/off the entire time you play it is way worse than "oh no the screen blanked before i launched my game"

Jonboy

Oct 30, 2017
consumer tech is so fucking frustrating at the moment lol
I feel like there is an inherent flaw in how hdr standards were created for this to even be an issue
then there's the whole hdmi 2.1 nightmare of nothing just working properly or devices only implementing some features
and usb 3/c/thunderbolt is a whole other one
Completely agree. When I was younger I wouldn't mind configuring/troubleshooting this stuff, but now that I'm older with 2 kids, regular job, freelance work, etc...I just want my tech to work properly when I actually get the time to sit down and play a game.

And when I was a kid, I didn't care about this fancy tech at all, lol. It was just about the games.

I'm getting anxious just reading through this thread. It took me forever to figure out the hdr/rgb range handshake issue the PS4 Pro had with my LG oled.

Speaking of that, I wonder if that's part of the reason Sony is using an HDR container this time? To avoid those rgb range handshake issues?

For those who don't know, there was an issue with PS4's auto setting for rgb range with some tvs.

When you leave it on auto, the PS4 will default to Full RGB for SDR, but drops to limited RGB for HDR (limitation of HDMI 2.0).

I can't remember the LG default for black level (I believe it's low), but essentially the PS4 doesn't handshake properly with the tv when it makes the change from Full RGB to limited.

The fix was to either manually set your PS4's rgb settings to limited AND set the tv's black level to the same. OR manually set the PS4's rgb settings to full, set the tv black level to high. Then launch an HDR game and make sure the tv switches modes. Then (after confirming the tv is in hdr), set the tv's black level to low.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The fix was to either manually set your PS4's rgb settings to limited AND set the tv's black level to the same. OR manually set the PS4's rgb settings to full, set the tv black level to high. Then launch an HDR game and make sure the tv switches modes. Then (after confirming the tv is in hdr), set the tv's black level to low.
On some TVs like my old Samsung, HDR is more straightforward since it automatically sets the correct black level for you (my TV literally locks out the TV's black level setting when dealing with YUV). Sadly, this only affects the PS4 Pro. Regular PS4s output HDR in 1080p RGB so my Samsung requires one to properly set it, so that's another confusing point to add lol.

I was told that we should always use limited though. While I always believed that limited/limited and full/full gave the same output and were correct, I recently discovered that my PS3 would give 4 different types of output depending on how you had settings set, and limited/limited was the only one that was correct.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take a look at the menus while Spider-Man is running in HDR - what do you notice? Right, there are color distortions and fine text is not always perfectly legible.
Also, switching between SDR and HDR picture modes may be something Sony wants to get rid of. It visibly interrupts direct loading (which is now extremely fast) in games and applications.

I also hope that there is an option to toggle this behavior, because there are televisions that manage these picture modes completely nonsensically, but it is not generally a problem as some make it look like here.
I have no clue what you're seeing when you say text is hard to read. That's just completely false and HDR v SDR shouldn't make text and more or less legible. As for colors I'm sure the UI isn't perfectly calibrated for HDR and probably looks off, but it's a fucking UI. I'm not really concerned about whether my blue background looks right or wrong. I'd much rather have the UI be compromised than the actual game or content.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean HDR is now a global setting and doesn't require per-game settings? If this can be set up properly, my poor old C7 will be happy.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
So this is like that Netflix issue with PS4 and Xbox One where everything is in HDR even when watching SDR content?

Did they ever fix that?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't think this bothers me, the PS4's way of handling HDR was just fine to me. Some part of me liked the indication from the screen that everything was working correctly.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was told that we should always use limited though. While I always believed that limited/limited and full/full gave the same output and were correct, I recently discovered that my PS3 would give 4 different types of output depending on how you had settings set, and limited/limited was the only one that was correct.

Some TVs will accept the Full range, but are really built to handle Limited the best. I know my C9 is like this, and will set my PS5 accordingly.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I'll have to wait to see how it's tonemapped to judge for myself, but in my experience this always looks worse than displaying SDR content in SDR mode. Only thing giving me hope is John from DF saying he thought it looked good. Initial thoughts are that I'm not a fan of this at all and I hope it can be disabled, otherwise this is going to be even worse than my problem with the HDR solution on the Xbox side. Frankly I thought PS4 had the perfect HDR implementation.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I have no clue what you're seeing when you say text is hard to read. That's just completely false and HDR v SDR shouldn't make text and more or less legible. As for colors I'm sure the UI isn't perfectly calibrated for HDR and probably looks off, but it's a fucking UI. I'm not really concerned about whether my blue background looks right or wrong. I'd much rather have the UI be compromised than the actual game or content.
Yeah, completely false... because chroma subsampling does not actually exist. The PS4 is only capable of 4K/60 + HDR at 4:2:0 or 4:2:2, that's not optimal for plain text if you don't account for it. I didn't say it happens all the time but it is an existing issue. If they enable HDR system-wide, everybody would have to account for that, because the can't assume everybody uses a HDMI2.1 TV with 4:4:4/RGB.
That the menu is not "calibrated" perfectly is not completely wrong, but has little to do with actual calibration. The menu is in the SDR color and brightness space and the PS4 does not tonemap this correctly at this point while an application is running in HDR-Mode. Sony has never changed that, although of course it would theoretically be possible - if they enable HDR system-wide and implement it properly, then they have solved that problem on the PS5.

If you want to see it fundamentally negative, you could say Sony is trading several existing potential problems for new potential problems. I assume that they will offer options (possibly with a delay) to counteract this.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely wanna see some testing to see the results side by side. I understand trying to not confuse/frustrate people who don't know much about this stuff, but what exactly is the "cost" of this convenience.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This really ought to be optional, due to the number of issues it can cause.

Based on John's reaction to it (or lack thereof), it doesn't appear to have the problems normally associated with running SDR inside of an HDR container. It's not trying to do any sort of conversion or crappy auto-expansion of SDR into HDR. The only thing John mentioned, which I saw in Gamespot's video on Ghost of Tsushima which I assume is the same thing, was that the image is a little bit brighter, but little enough that I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all if John hadn't said anything. But if it really bothers you, a notch or two down on the in-game brightness slider should do the trick.

Honestly, this will affect video playback more than anything else. I run Disney+ through there, and the PS4 app doesn't support HDR. Maybe we'll get lucky and the PS5 app will.

For those of you saying "oh, I'll just turn it off", bear in mind that will probably disable HDR entirely at the system level, including for all of your games. Choose wisely.
John is using an OLED so it's not subject to the main problem of SDR inside an HDR container: reduced contrast on LCD because HDR runs the backlight at 100%.
Properly calibrated, both should be outputting 100 nits when displaying SDR content, but the backlight on the LCD is cranked up so that it's capable of producing 700 nits or more. This can effectively make the black level 7x higher than it would be if running SDR content natively.
Of course higher-end sets will have local dimming which reduces how much of an issue that is, but it's a real problem.

It also prevents people running SDR out-of-spec, which many prefer; running in wide gamut mode, pushing the brightness far beyond 100 nits, adjusting the gamma to see shadow detail more easily in a bright room etc.
It doesn't sound like there's a brightness control for this either.

The "daytime viewing" section of this comparison (10:02) is most-relevant:

Oh yeah, that's another things I didn't think about. LG OLEDs would default then to OLED light 100 even for SDR content then because it is seeing an HDR signal. Wouldn't that wear it out faster, or make it more susceptible to burn-in?
Shouldn't make a difference if the actual light output is the same.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This really ought to be optional, due to the number of issues it can cause.

John is using an OLED so it's not subject to the main problem of SDR inside an HDR container: reduced contrast on LCD because HDR runs the backlight at 100%.
Properly calibrated, both should be outputting 100 nits when displaying SDR content, but the backlight on the LCD is cranked up so that it's capable of producing 700 nits or more. This can effectively make the black level 7x higher than it would be if running SDR content natively.
Of course higher-end sets will have local dimming which reduces how much of an issue that is, but it's a real problem.

It also prevents people running SDR out-of-spec, which many prefer; running in wide gamut mode, pushing the brightness far beyond 100 nits, adjusting the gamma to see shadow detail more easily in a bright room etc.
It doesn't sound like there's a brightness control for this either.

The "daytime viewing" section of this comparison (10:02) is most-relevant:

Shouldn't make a difference if the actual light output is the same.

Isn't the video you posted is showing that there IS a difference when running SDR within an HDR wrapper? Vincent is using an OLED and pointing out all the inaccuracies

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the video you posted is showing that there IS a difference when running SDR within an HDR wrapper? Vincent is using an OLED and pointing out all the inaccuracies
I only said that OLED avoids the main problem - which is the potential for greatly reduced contrast on LCD.
It's still much worse than a native SDR output on any display.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Both John and now Rich from DF said they like how it looks, so I'm less concerned now.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Both John and now Rich from DF said they like how it looks, so I'm less concerned now.

It seems like a lot of people like the way it looks so I don't think its a bad thing to have it but they should definitely have an option to turn it off for folks who don't want it and to just have something like the PS4

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a lot of people like the way it looks so I don't think its a bad thing to have it but they should definitely have an option to turn it off for folks who don't want it and to just have something like the PS4
True, I would probably ultimately prefer it work like PS4 did. Whether they'll add that option, we'll just have to wait and see.