• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will PS5 surpass Nintendo Switch as the fastest selling console in major markets?

• Yes

Votes: 553 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 899 61.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 30, 2017
But but but... what about all the Sony is doomed and in trouble for not revealing or showing anything earlier and they are losing it?

Yet history will always repeat itself and some will never learn.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter the circunstances, my point to the person I was quoting is that people click dislike if they don't like something, they don't mindlessly click like just because (and it's just the narrative he created to not accept that people outside Era might actually like that design)

As someone stated above, the Wii U reveal video on YouTube has a generally positive like/dislike ratio too. This is not a rock-solid metric that anyone should be using.

Bazz Bazz

Feb 5, 2020
It is factually wrong, you and your friends are not the world. Pretty much all social metrics show that the design is liked by most, the like/dislike ratio of the video alone shows it already.
The comments on Twitter and Instagram are mostly positive as well.

And I can understand it, it looks really amazing.

So yes, your post implying that most people think it is ugly was just wrong.

Well, that is true and pretty high level of likes.
I quickly checked some vids for comparaison, % of dislikes :

PS5 : 3.3%
Xbox Serie X : 8.2%
iPhone 11 Pro : 19.6%
Apple 2018 / iphone X : 15.4%
Galaxy S20 Ultra : 3.1%
MacBook Air 2018: 11.8%

Edit :
PS4 2013: 4.3%
Xbox One : 93% (not a good comparaison)

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I liked it when I saw it yesterday. Today I love it.

Also very pleased that it will fit in my TV cabinet. Xbox is a bit too big for that so that will have to go behind the TV, somehow.

Really liking the approach Sony is taking with this. PSVR2 will look great in this design language.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty good design. Really futuristic.

Old gamers are used to boring shoe boxes, but this is 2020
No kidding. The timing couldn't be more appropriate given how I sat down for the first time in a long time to really take a look at PS4's design. I came away finding it boring as hell. And while I know that happens over time with anything, I went through the history of Playstation consoles and found them to all look outdated, even the PS4. I'm glad the PS5 does something different. Would I have preferred it to look like this? Maybe not, but I do appreciate that it is different, and for that simple reason alone I appreciate it more.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
WiiU design was great since people liked it on youtube...

Oh486Xx.jpg

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
1. People viewing this because they want to see how ugly it is.

2. Spider-Man has that many views because people think it's Spider-Man 2.

3. Views mean nothing. Console still looks ugly as sin.

4. Once the hype dies down they will get smoked by Xbox.

Did I get most of the criticisms right under the veil of passive aggressive comments?

Sounds about right but you forgot Spider-Man isn't a "full exclusive" because it's not part 2

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It's a crazy good trailer. The design is also dramatic enough to encourage discussion and ensure it becomes viral.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is factually wrong, you and your friends are not the world. Pretty much all social metrics show that the design is liked by most, the like/dislike ratio of the video alone shows it already.
The comments on Twitter and Instagram are mostly positive as well.

And I can understand it, it looks really amazing.

So yes, your post implying that most people think it is ugly was just wrong.
Your post implying that most people think it looks good based on likes on social media is wrong too lol. It's entirely possible that a ton of people looked at it, went "eww" and turned the video off - not using the energy to express their negative opinion.

Just saying.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I've seen memes on the PS5 design... I'm not sure if it's a good sign, but at least we're going to get good memes out of this lol.

Example:

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
I had to watch it three times.

I couldn't believe my eyes the first time.

The second time my eyes were streaming from laughing so much at the look of it.

So a third view was also needed. During that viewing the laughing just became a hollow feeling in my soul.

I'm good now though. Sure, it's truly hideous, but I'll probably still get it for Demon's.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Your post implying that most people think it looks good based on likes on social media is wrong too lol. It's entirely possible that a ton of people looked at it, went "eww" and turned the video off - not using the energy to express their negative opinion.

Just saying.

And the same amount of people liking and not using their energy to express their positive opinion. This goes nowhere.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Playstation's design has always been a "strange at first, love it after" affair. For every new console and I always end up loving the design. I'm starting to really like this one as well. It's different, it's futuristic af, it stands out. It also helps that I absolutely love the controller. And I'm also looking at those sexy headphones if they're not too expensive.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
You just showed us how good at math you are...

I am showing you how a clearly positive like/dislike ratio on youtube proves nothing about design. I didn't imply which like ratio is higher and which is lower, I am just proving how stupid is to talk in design terms about positive and negative reception on youtube.

Also, I am probably way better than you at math working as a design engineer?

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising with how ugly it is. It has to be seen to be believed

Good take :p it's a really ugly box, reminds me of old 2000 concepts and to be honest I would prefer a standard box design.

It's even uglier than XSX and that is quite a feat. Amazed by the amount of "its growing in me" posts but it was expect due to this forum user base.

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
it's a really great trailer. Not a massive fan of the design of the box I'm sure in person it's gorgeous the digital one looks much better to me.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
It's a divisive design for sure. Which causes a lot of conversation and engagement, which is great for marketing.

Neil Druckmann said he doesn't want people thinking his game is just ok he wants to evict a strong opinion either way so people can talk about it, so you're absolutely on the nose with your assessment here Sony went with a futuristic divisive design and people feel strongly about in both directions. I honestly think some people are searching for it because they wanna see how "ugly" it is while others (me) are blown away by this design

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Amazed by the amount of "its growing in me" posts but it was expect due to this forum user base.
What do you mean by this?

This isn't a thinly veiled "Era is pro Sony' post is it?

If so, the market has always decided on the extent of each consoles fanbase. People would accuse Gaf of being pro Microsoft when the 360 was in higher regard than the PS3.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
The entire buildup towards the design reveal at the end was put together masterfully, my heart was pumpig like crazy while think "this is it, they're gonna show it!" and boy, with this trailer they sure managed to deliver. I really like the design. Sure it is a big ass piece of hw but it's striking too.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I still think it's one of the ugliest designs I've ever seen. I may still get one down the road, but I'd honestly be embarrassed to have this in my entertainment area.

(You don't have to quote this post and tell me you like the design. It's cool that you do and I'm happy for you.)
It won't stop me from buying one but I'll likely build a new entertainment unit to hide this thing. Not a fan of the aesthetic.

Sony could have made another black box, but they decided to do something a little different, and I think it mostly paid off.
It's way too premature for me to have an opinion on it paying off, but I hope the hardware runs quietly and is reliable as a benefit of the look of this thing.

No kidding. The timing couldn't be more appropriate given how I sat down for the first time in a long time to really take a look at PS4's design. I came away finding it boring as hell. And while I know that happens over time with anything, I went through the history of Playstation consoles and found them to all look outdated, even the PS4. I'm glad the PS5 does something different. Would I have preferred it to look like this? Maybe not, but I do appreciate that it is different, and for that simple reason alone I appreciate it more.
They look dated because they're all old. PS2 design was hyped up at the time. In 7+ years this will look dated too (some people think it already does). Technology of the past twenty years is littered with things that looked cutting edge and futuristic at the time and are now thoroughly dated and bland looking.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If so, the market has always decided on the extent of each consoles fanbase. People would accuse Gaf of being pro Microsoft when the 360 was in higher regard than the PS3.

It's not a critique, it's normal to happen since the fan base is higher. During that gaf era it was more or less the same. I do prefer the XSX design but no means it will grow on me since I find it rather dull.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It won't stop me from buying one but I'll likely build a new entertainment unit to hide this thing. Not a fan of the aesthetic.

It's way too premature for me to have an opinion on it paying off, but I hope the hardware runs quietly and is reliable as a benefit of the look of this thing.

They look dated because they're all old. PS2 design was hyped up at the time. In 7+ years this will look dated too (some people think it already does). Technology of the past twenty years is littered with things that looked cutting edge and futuristic at the time and are now thoroughly dated and bland looking.
You just regurgitated what I said lol. But I also specifically mentioned PS4 because we're still in the moment with this console and it's already struck me as outdated. And I specifically said I felt this way before I even saw this console reveal.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I loved the design from the moment i saw it. its sleek, its different, its Sony.

Yeah, it's fine.
I think the design being a secret for so long has meant people have come up with their own expectations, but it's not that crazy looking when you think of the cooling that Cerny was on about. i was definitely expecting more venting.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Whether or not you like the aesthetic - thats subjective

You can not deny that it is the most striking console in living memory.

It wouldn't look out of place as a skyscraper in Dubai.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It's the best hardware reveal of all time.

The music, the pure white background. It's so fucking professional. Showing all around the console. I love it.
Haven't the balls been done before?

A VUE advert that playS at the start of every movie in U.K. VUE cinemas?

But then I suppose Sony used colourful bouncing balls in their 2010 Bravia advert.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's fine.
I think the design being a secret for so long has meant people have come up with their own expectations, but it's not that crazy looking when you think of the cooling that Cerny was on about. i was definitely expecting more venting.

yea i loved the size of it and the amount of vents i saw. I never realized how loud my ps4 pro was until i played it yesterday with the surround system turned down.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Whether or not you like the aesthetic - thats subjective

You can not deny that it is the most striking console in living memory.

It wouldn't look out of place as a skyscraper in Dubai.

Not either as your humidifier. Striking!

Haven't the balls been done before?

A VUE advert that playS at the start of every movie in U.K. VUE cinemas?

But then I suppose Sony used colourful bouncing balls in their 2010 Bravia advert.

It has been done to death.

lol

bremon

Oct 27, 2017

It seemed more like an acknowledgement that this is an enthusiast forum whose members have largely been hungry for next gen tech for years. The box was always going to be fairly well received because people have a positive association with the brand and the IPs.

You just regurgitated what I said lol. But I also specifically mentioned PS4 because we're still in the moment with this console and it's already struck me as outdated. And I specifically said I felt this way before I even saw this console reveal.
I misread your post then. I thought you meant this was the first PlayStation that had an aesthetic that you were excited about, when I think in time this will just join the others in a pile of plastic boxes of dated tech. Hence why I would have been fine with a discrete black box that, while not necessarily having "wife approval factor" doesn't scream "hide me".

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Trolling

not to derail, but to call this forum anything other than pro Sony is not far off the mark. Just look at the build up to yesterday's conf we had
  • a "where were you" style thread on last PS4 reveal
  • Next gen starts now thread
  • What are you wearing for the conf
  • What are you eating for the conf
  • Various hype train (and bus?) posts
Everyone was whipped up into a frenzy that I don't think I've ever seen before...even in the old gaf

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
yea i loved the size of it and the amount of vents i saw. I never realized how loud my ps4 pro was until i played it yesterday with the surround system turned down.

I will be glad to get rid of my Pro, i can't even play No man's sky, it sounds like it wants to explode and i have done the fan cleaning stuff.