• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
PS5 having a BOM around ~$450 at the end of last year and is selling it for 599$ in November 2020. Yeah..... this is totally how Sony is pricing their consoles at launch.
The BOM is based on estimates. I wouldn't put to much stock in both, this news and the BOM. Even though bloomberg is more trustworthy imo, but it's still not a official information.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
$499 and $599 seems likely.

if it was $399 and $499 they wouldve revealed it already. they are delaying the bad news as much as they can.

I called this a long time ago.

$399 is not something to delay and why would you ? Even if People think Sony is waiting for MS to go first so Sony can undercut? Why would Sony even worry about that? At $399 with those specs, Sonys giant grasp of the industry, huge fan base, and covid 19, you have already won this next gen with that price.

If either of these consoles we're gonna be $399, the marketing would be through the roof by now. No other reason for them delaying the price this late.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see the difference being 100$. I I don't think Sony makes that much more money on digital games than Physical.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
We're going to have this kind of discussions a lot in the coming weeks, so I'd like to remind everyone that prices in Europe are announced taxes included.

Oct 24, 2019
It's not really insider, the source is from retail (which could have both Xbox and PlayStation info)
They are not claiming to have insider playstation sources.

Sure, but I still feel like this figure would be way more widely reported if it's true. Why would Xboxygen be the only outlet that knows the price of the PS5 and chooses to run the story?

This may end up being the price in the end, but I doubt that they have any sold intel right now

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Now that I think about it, Sony offering a disc-less SKU makes me think they did everything to offer a cheaper option because the base price is going to be high.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was before the new cooling stuff I want to say
Nah.
Maybe that was the BOM for Discless?
Nah. And a disc-drive doesn't really cost that much.
The BOM is based on estimates. I wouldn't put to much stock in both, this news and the BOM. Even though bloomberg is more trustworthy imo, but it's still not a official information.
I would put much stock in people that are saying the PS5 will cost more than 499€. Especially if the source is a site called "Xboxygen".

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
It's Xbox site, but then we had other insiders and Digital Foundry expecting the prices to be around 600 for physical PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
That seems suspect. I doubt it's over $499. Why do people disregard the only viable leak we've gotten on costs that said around $450, and that they then doubled orders? That implies they got costs down at least a bit, and the digital editions costs would be lower by at least $30, not counting the tiny bit saved on casing.

I feel like they will be $399/$499 or $449-$499. Everything is pointing to this.

even if $450 was the cost of the physical sku, $499 would be more than enough to make a profit and pay for retailer cut, shipping, etc

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I can't see the difference being 100$. I I don't think Sony makes that much more money on digital games than Physical.
Yep, I think 74% of the revenue was digital compared to retail in the last quarter. Could be wrong, but someone could probably check.

Digital is growing rapidly and this means a digital console doesn't make that much of a difference to the companies. It still helps and increases revenue from digital stores, thus they can offset some cost. But I think 100$ price difference is to much.
Isn't the PS5 BoM around $450?
It's the rumored BOM.
I do think the price is going to sting which is why both are reluctant to talk about it tbh.
I have the same feeling.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
All retailers use a placeholder at this point in time. Nothing to see here.

Xbox+series+x+to+be+699_fbc186_7895661.jpg

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
lol using xboxgen as a source, they aren't reliable. In France, you usually go to Gamekult, Jeuxvideo, Gameblog or Canard PC if you want reliable journalism.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
We're going to have this kind of discussions a lot in the coming weeks, so I'd like to remind everyone that prices in Europe are announced taxes included.

While true, I don't think it ever had an impact on the previous generations?

I don't remember the launch prices for all consoles obviously, but at least for last gen (and the one before) we had the exact same price tags in USD and EUR, regardless of the (US) taxes.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
$499 and $599 seems likely.

if it was $399 and $499 they wouldve revealed it already. they are delaying the bad news as much as they can.

I think the opposite. If they wait until last minute to announce $599 then that mindshare would spill into launch. IF it was $599 I think they would announce long ago so the outrage dies down by launch and consumers would maybe reach the acceptance phase

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It won't be 599€. 549€ Max for PS5 and XSX. They don't even have a killer app to launch with, lol.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an expensive hobby huh? XD

I'm prepared to go up to £599 but... I'd rather not :P

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no chance, it will be 499 US for the physical PS5 and 499 for the Xbox Series X, The other models will be cheaper but not sure how much.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be dead on arrival at that price lol.

Who are this site and why would anyone trust them?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Now that I think about it, Sony offering a disc-less SKU makes me think they did everything to offer a cheaper option because the base price is going to be high.
Surely it's going to be pricey but the ps3 was expensive due to blue-ray (revolutionary at the time), ps2 chips built in, and a decently sized hdd. Ps5 doesn't have that kind of thing...

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
I Imagine this site has about as much cred as that fake insider who leaked the big PS5 price/preorder reveal that was supposed to have happened back on July 13th. Crazy to think that was almost 2 months ago and we are STILL waiting for that info.

Oct 29, 2017
Not yet, give it an hour. They do have one up saying the Series X is $599 with the source being Pringles:

wccftech.com

Xbox Series X $599 Price Possibly Revealed Through Pringles' South African Promotion

Pringles may have revealed the Xbox Series X price through a promotion that will only be available in Australia

Well I suppose the Series X IS basically a giant box of Pringles...

That's bloody fantastic that Pringles of all things could leak the price lol. Such a typically Xbox thing to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.