• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
so I had a little chat with SSD pro, he was the one responsible to persuade the company to change to SSD for server in the early day.

after much hype about ps5 SSD by his dev friend, he watched road to ps5 and pretty much confused.

the question he had :

What ? this is a game console that only cost 499? I'm not sure how that is possible with all the custom SSD.

He said :

I was impressed with how Mark builds around the SSD and much pipeline that power the SSD. SSD will help in a lot of area than just loading. with my little knowledge in game development, I must say, it is the right to invest in this area and build your system for the future.

for that speed, a greater cooling system is required and sure it will be helpful for high clock setup for other areas, it is clearly clever way to max your SSD capability.

But I will be more amazed if this is priced at 499 or lower. The ambition Mark explained is not fitting the price.

End.

so now I rewatch it and watched some videos like DF and others, this is like more advanced and powerful than the actual TF number.

so 499 is well spent? or more of XSX route is a safe bet? But it is very likely XSX will be more than 499. IMO.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Economies of scale. They can buy parts for cheaper because they have a decade long contract for a hundred million units.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Both drives run at gen 4 NVME speeds and those drives start at $200. I can't see these consoles being under $499

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really see any of these console sell for 499$ without Microsoft/Sony losing a lot of money per sold console.
All these components are state of the art. Sure not with the power of an even more expensive PC component but
you wouldn't even come close to something similar on the PC pricewise

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
What I gathered from the Road to PS5 is, which is more costlier for any given SSD?

Increasing the read/write throughput speed of the SSD, or increasing the SSD capacity?

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
The speed that ssd is hitting... If you were to buy 1tb of something near it it is 200$. And it wont even be fast enough for the ps5. Idk how but it is quite amazing. Im not expecting over 500 for the price of the console. Sony probably are making these ssds themselves so they can somehow justify it. The global economy right now being such is probably also a concern for these console makers with next gen systems releasing in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.