• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

anastiel

Banned
Mar 14, 2019
Another patent has been filed by Sony which could potentially hint at new features coming our way as part of the next-generation, this time around focused on the PlayStation 5's controller. Biofeedback could be used to modify game experiences through sensors that would track your heart rate and sweat secretion.

Reported by Respawn First, sensors found within the two grips of the controller could adjust a user's experience based on how quickly their heart is beating and how much sweat their hands are producing at any one time. Presumably, this would lead to a game's difficulty being lowered should the player allow for it. As Video Games Chronicle mentions, this is at least the third time such a feature has been referred to in Sony patents.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Sony patent again suggests PS5 controller could utilise biofeedback | VGC

Games could change based on sweat secretion and heart rate…

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I feel like this is one of those ideas that they just patent just in case but not use right away. I'm not sure if they'd add this to the PS5, but it would be interesting to see how they use it.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The vitality sensor lives-- with Sony! Betrayalton!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like these vitality sensor things are forever just stuck in pantents and never happen.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima's over in the corner feverishly working real-time sweat detection into his next game

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
All I see is feature creep on controllers = more expensive. Wonder how much this is gonna cost if all these patents turn out to be true.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FTFY:
PS5 Controller Could* Track Your Heart Rate and Sweat Secretion, Suggests Patent

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Didn't the Wii have a heart rate sensor or something? I could've sworn I remember a device called the Vitality Sensor or something

Either way, I'd rather have a DualShock V that splits into a Move-style controller for PSVR2 than heart-rate/sweat sensor

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Didn't the Wii have a heart rate sensor or something? I could've sworn I remember a device called the Vitality Sensor or something

Either way, I'd rather have a DualShock V that splits into a Move-style controller for PSVR2 than heart-rate/sweat sensor

It was shown off, but never actually released.

Has become meme.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Headlines from 2026: "PS6 controller administers beta blockers via microneedles when heart rate is elevated"

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like Sony is really pushing for the immersion angle, even if not all their patents go into the end product. I'm at least very much looking forward to the next generation in haptic feedback.

This was a dream of mine from a while back, but I doubt that's happening.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
dims

I live...

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Sony have a weird guy at the Dualshock team that just has to get his dumb shit in every generation even though everyone knows its a dumb waste of money?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of a good enough reason to use it outside of horror games.
Maybe you play a tough game like Bloodborne and the difficulty dynamically decreases or increases depending on your heart rate XD

Oct 27, 2017
More like Sony has an idea for tracking heart rate and sweat secretion, suggests patents. People really need to stop taking these things as evidence of actual features

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of feel like we get rumors like this every gen. At the end of the day, they have to be cheaper than their competition and those off the wall features are the first things that get axed from the idea board.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Seems useless tbh. A quick heartbeat can mean many things while gaming and shouldn't be interpreted by the game to tamper with the difficulty etc.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Sounds like a silly feature and waste of money to include something like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Valve was experimenting with this stuff years ago. I think they had some build of L4D that guided the game director AI based on your biometrics. But yeah pretty much all the big players have probably tried something similar in R&D.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is definitely for VR, I've gotten many non gamers into VR for the thought of exercise alone.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Sounds like a gimmick to not make PS4 controllers BC, Microsoft already said current Xbox one controllers work on the new system so I hope Sony follows

No light and a great battery life is all I want if we have to use new controllers