• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Super short Wipeout collection vid, no save file so can only show off the first track. Hope it renders the 4K at some point.

+ Jeezus that compression is sickening. Wish i could do something about it.
++ 10 hours later...things look visible.

Last edited:

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
No glitches? I was getting glitches on Manhunt and just assumed all of the PS2 Classics would be a bit broke.
I played a good bit of wild arms 3 and didnt noticed any glitches

Manhunt is listed as 'bootable' where Wild Arms 3 is categorized as 'compatible', so that tracks.

All PS2 games listed as Bootable, meaning issues can occur:
aCN0EL3.png

Source: https://andshrew.github.io/supreme-enigma/
Member: Andshrew

KalBalboa Any games on the list you can check to see what possible problems might be?

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Last of Us 2 Load time from PS5 Internal SSD - 39.32 seconds

Last of Us 2 Load time from PS5 External HDD - 42.69 seconds

Last of Us 2 Load time from PS5 Internal HDD - 56.99 seconds

Last of Us 2 Load time from PS4 External HDD - 49.41 seconds
Hey everyone. So I just got a new SSD external hard drive, this one specifically, and I ran a loading test on Last of Us 2. I retested the internal load time just to be sure it was accurate, and it was, then I tested it with external storage and...

Loading time off INTERNAL SSD - 39.26 seconds

Loading time off EXTERNAL SSD - 36.23 seconds

radiogra

Jun 27, 2020
loaded up a ringed city DS3 save and god it runs great. as solid a 60 as DS remastered. souls series playthrough will be sick.

makes bloodborne being locked hurt even more though lol.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Hey everyone. So I just got a new SSD external hard drive, this one specifically, and I ran a loading test on Last of Us 2. I retested the internal load time just to be sure it was accurate, and it was, then I tested it with external storage and...

Loading time off INTERNAL SSD - 39.26 seconds

Loading time off EXTERNAL SSD - 36.23 seconds

0_o That is most interesting. Very likely some software based anomaly given USB SSD's throughput is a lot lower than embedded one. That said, yours is the most ideal way to play BC titles- external SSD.

KalBalboa Beautiful captures. What are you using for the procedure?

JohnnyMoses Same question as above. Also, may I have your permission to make clips out of the video?

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
0_o That is most interesting. Very likely some software based anomaly given USB SSD's throughput is a lot lower than embedded one. That said, yours is the most ideal way to play BC titles- external SSD.

JohnnyMoses Same question as above. Also, may I have your permission to make clips out of the video?

I just use the built-in PS5 recording ability, then dump it all to USB and upload to Lensdump/YouTube. Am I crazy or is the PS5 recording fidelity much better than PS4/Pro?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I am actually a bit worried what a rolling vp9 4k60 capture might do to the SSD over time, lol.

Eh, beyond some heat, it's just caching, writing, clearing cache, filling cache, writing... rinse repeat. I do not see much reason to be concerned. That said, given the bit rate, even an external 5400 RPM 2.5 SATA III USB drive should suffice (should the PS5 allow for it).

I am actually a bit worried what a rolling vp9 4k60 capture might do to the SSD over time, lol.

Ah, thank you.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Another batch of testing, primarily based on what people asked for in comments (and that I had access to)... Avengers (30/60), Killzone (60), Medievil (60), Broforce (60, insane load speed, fixes the hitching at the start of levels), Mafia Trilogy (30), Hellblade (60, graphical glitches here and there), AC Odyssey (30), Nioh 1&2 (60)

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017

KalBalboa Beautiful captures. What are you using for the procedure

For that I just used the PS5 and share factory. Feel free to use clips!

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to hear about any issues. What was the problem?
Issue 1: When queueing into a game during the "Applying Update" phase it'd either hang indefinitely or result in an in-game error screen. In both cases I'd be kicked from the match.

Issue 2: After winning first point the game didn't throw me into the character selection screen for the next round. It was instead displaying the level with all the characters removed. I was thankfully given the selection screen after the pre-round timer was over.

So far the first issue has only occurred on the first evening the PS5 was out, and the second only happened once. I'll post if the issues happen again, or anything else.

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil

Another batch of testing, primarily based on what people asked for in comments (and that I had access to)... Avengers (30/60), Killzone (60), Medievil (60), Broforce (60, insane load speed, fixes the hitching at the start of levels), Mafia Trilogy (30), Hellblade (60, graphical glitches here and there), AC Odyssey (30), Nioh 1&2 (60)

Mafia III is marked as unplayable (severe graphical glitches) in OP, but seeing this video it look like it's playable, maybe some specific areas are worse?

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
UFC 3 runs like a dream.

Incredible how external HDD loads faster on PS5.
PS4 2 minutes 9 seconds, PS5 1 minute 19 seconds
to get into a match

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry everyone, but its's going to be another 24 hours at least before I can post a content update. Work is very busy. Keep the impressions, videos, and screens coming though, I'll get to all of them at some point!

(All of these are running on an external USB 3.0 5400 RPM drive)
Thank you so much, this is great stuff!

4K is only for manual recording, though. The background "last few minutes in memory" is just 1080p.

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way you could post 60fps footage to Youtube? The game on PS4 had complex details (30fps most fights, unstable 60fps traversal, 60fps school stuff), so I'd like to really dig in on PS5 before adding.
I made one of running around school for now.
PS5 4k60 WEBM manual

PS5 1080p60 MP4

I made both because I noticed that manual 4k60 appears to dim the video slightly over the 1080p60 mp4 ver and I'm not sure why.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone has specific games they're looking to see videos on, please let me know. If I own the game, I'll make one.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else here notice with PS4 titles, you can somewhat audibly hear the fan? Like, in the sense it's rotating at a MUCH slower RPM, so it's almost a "ticking" noise.
I mean, considering what we had to deal with, with the PS4Pro, it's a non-issue. I just thought it was interesting.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Has anyone tried Mortal Shell? I bought it for the PS4, but I didn't bother playing more than an hour because I figured it'd get a patch for the PS5. I'm not sure if that's the case yet.

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
Has anybody tested Control ? To see if the bad framerate and the weird freeze at the exit of the menu are gone.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Eh, beyond some heat, it's just caching, writing, clearing cache, filling cache, writing... rinse repeat. I do not see much reason to be concerned. That said, given the bit rate, even an external 5400 RPM 2.5 SATA III USB drive should suffice (should the PS5 allow for it).

It's the continuous writes to an SSD in this matter being the issue though. An SSD's lifespan is determined by a tolerance of a certain amount of writes measured in TBW (terabytes written). Having video, especially constantly rolling footage at 4K no less that is continuously writing to the drive might be worth using an external storage device for the capture location.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
What did you use to capture it?
This was directly captured on the PS5 at 4K res. Weight in at about ~800MB.

+ TBH it was the initial 1080p encode that made my eyes spin, this was immediately after playing so it was shocking how bad it looked. It now doesn't hit me as that bad immediately and the 4K stream does look pretty good.

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
This was directly captured on the PS5 at 4K res. Weight in at about ~800MB.
Ahh, I'll do one with directly on the PS5, and do a side by side with the same race captured with my avermedia card. The compression doesn't look bad on your video though. I did a video of Astro's Playroom via PS5 and the bitrate was 48Mbs. I do 75Mbs with the capture card.

Ngapekz

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I played the disc version of the Last Guardian with no updates on the PS5 today and it plays remarkably well.

Playing it at 1800p 60 FPS is like playing a remaster of the game and fixes all the problems I personally had with it. All the unique animations of your character with the giant feathery Trico following you, running at a buttery smooth 60 FPS makes the game feel like a "next gen" experience. It's really outstanding.

I bought the game at launch but couldn't get past its performance issues. I would have never thought I would be playing it now over PS5 games like Demon's Souls and Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.