• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For those wanting to see Nioh, I recorded a run-through of one of the most demanding areas in the game: the burning village in the first level. From what I could tell it was a locked 60fps at 4K.

Forgive my bad play; it's the first time I've played this game in about a year.

Ooh thank you! Looks great

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Here is an oddity for someone to test out...

While PS3 games are not supported, during the launch window of the PS4 there was a PS3->PS4 upgrade program. Will the (digital) PS4 versions authenticate with a PS3 disc?

I'd test it out myself, but EU, so a few more days.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
How can I play Spelunky 2 on PS5? Am I able to download it from my PS5, or do I have to buy it on PS4. ( probably a stupid question)

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Found a Nioh 2 clip on youtube:

Looks smooth!

I still hope they patch in a better resolution/upscaling technique as the checkerboard implementation is kind of shitty in Nioh.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've got hold of Nioh 1&2... As well as a bunch of next gen upgrades to stuff. That's my weekend! 😂

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
So I'm running FFXIV on the PS4 Pro option which I think is 1440p and it seems like I'm getting locked 60fps, how would I provide video to help?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Amazing. We have all these games that don't fully utilise Game Boost and could really do with PS5 patches or updates, and instead we get that for games that already include variable modes that go to 4K 60fps just fine.

Like, it's appreciated, but given the choice I would've preferred they put the effort into PS5 versions of games that are currently more restricted. Though that seems to mostly consist of DOA6 and Dissidia NT in recent years. I'd take a ray-traced Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, though.

Oh man...looking at this, get ready to fork out the dough for ff7 remake remaster (that irony of a title), tlou2 remaster and horizon zd remaster...... don't expecting free patches to the existing ps4 version...better let it go of that dream

They explicitly say that current owners on PS4 get the PS5 version for free, though?

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man...looking at this, get ready to fork out the dough for ff7 remake remaster (that irony of a title), tlou2 remaster and horizon zd remaster...... don't expecting free patches to the existing ps4 version...better let it go of that dream
Nioh 2 is a free upgrade. Nioh 1 is a much older game and won't be getting it.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but taking a closer look at it, Movie Mode looks so much better than Variable Movie Mode. There's some weird dithering going on and the resolution reconstruction is very obvious. It kinda looks like ass, honestly.
Can you post some 4K screenshots showing the difference?

Fall Guys is super blurry. Draw distance in particular. You can see maybe 5 feet in front of you before it gets ultra blurry.
I saw your post in the other thread. As I said, if you can post a screenshot I'll take a look.

However is there a list of which PS4 games already got the PS5 enhancement patch?
As stated in the OP, all upgraded PS4 games will be listed in the PS5 Tech Details thread.

Anyone tested Nioh 2 yet? Is it locked 4k/60? or whatever resolution it uses with that particular mode
It's in the OP.

I don't add games to the list until they've actually been tested. Developer announcements can be wrong, and even visual impressions can be subjective or mistaken.

Also, to add to the unplayable list for now, Golem(PSVR) is showing as Only playable on PS4.
Do you have a copy of the PS4 game and PSVR hooked up to PS5 via adapter, and it won't play? Or are you reporting how the game is described in the OS?

Edf 5 seems to be running flawlessly. Levels that previously brought the ps4 to sub 15 fps seems to be buttery smooth now.
THPS 1+2, certainly seemed to load 3-5 seconds faster, looked better than base.

Etc.
These reports (and many more I didn't include) are great. But I really want to be sure of specifics before I add anything. To that end, if possible please post or link some 60fps video to analyze. 4K screenshots can also help see if resolution has changed. I understand not everyone will be able to, but the more the better. Thanks!

silentbum

Oct 27, 2017
Does Control having a ceiling cap of 30fps? I'd love to play the PS4 version at 60fps (without buying the fancied up ultimate edition version.)

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Nah, not every game will look and run better on Xbox Series X, only the "enhanced" titles, but it should clean up the frame rates of games that previously struggled, much like the PlayStation, just through raw power.

The major difference is of course, support for more generations of console, and the work Microsoft already put in for the Xbox One X for those games. Another difference is the Xbox forces 16x anisotropic filtering and the addition of Auto HDR. Microsoft generally seem much more committed to supporting backwards compatibility.
As a rule of thumb, for both consoles, games will run the same as they did on XBOX or PS4 Pro, unless:

a) the games have dynamic resolution (now the game will likely run at the highest possible resolution almost 100% of the time). Doom Eternal and Jedi Fallen Order are examples of this.

b) the game doesn't reach its target frame rate consistently on PS5 / XBOX , at which point it will run very close to it on PS5/XSX. Sekiro, Hitman 2 and Final Fantasy XV are examples of this.

c) the developer has patched games capped at 30fps, to remove that cap on PS5. Examples of this are Days Gone and Ghosts of Tsushima.

If neither of those conditions are met, then games will basically run the same, albeit with faster load times.

There are 3 caveats concerning Xbox:

MS implemented something called AutoHDR, which uses Machine Learning to extrapolate how SDR games would look in HDR. Microsoft then picks the ones that looks the best and then implements it at a system level, without any work necessary from the original developer.

MS also forces 16x Anisotropic Filtering on all BC games. Again, this works at a system level.

MS is implementing a system where certain games that have a 30fps can have their framerate doubled without necessitating a patch. So far, Fallout 4 is the only game that uses this so far AFAIK.
Thank you very much for your efforts! It's a great help to the community.

Each row is a user-selectable mode within the game. I'll be revising the OP to make this clearer.

Keep in mind that, while it runs at twice the framerate, it's also one-quarter the resolution.

Great details! The remaster games are 1440p on Pro.

If there's any way you can upload short 60fps videos showing typical performance, that'd be very helpful. I understand if you can't, thanks!

Shenmue III and both Nioh games are in fact in the OP list. You can use Ctrl-F to find them.

No, this is incorrect. Here are the actual scenarios:

For the vast majority of BC games (95%+), both platforms will only raise reolution and framerate up to their original coded caps. This means for Xbox One multiplats with no One X version (i.e. most of them), the Series X setup is likely to be lower resokution than on PS5, and/or possibly with lower graphical settings. For multiplats with a One X version, the Series X setup is likely to be higher resolution, and maybe higher settings, than PS5. (But PS5 framerate might be better).

Series X will play all Xbox One games except those that require Kinect. (~3500) It will also play ~600 Xbox 360 games. It will also play ~50 original Xbox games.

PS5 will play almost all PS4 games except those listed in the OP. (~4500) It will also play ~50 PS2 games rereleased on PS4. A very small percentage of these games may have glitches when played.

Series X increases resolution and framerate above previous ceilings on ~50 Xbox 360 games, and all the original Xbox games it can play. Microsoft have also announced 2 Xbox One games with limit breaking like this, but neither (Gears Ultimate and Fallout 4) are available yet.

Series X applies vsync to all BC games. PS5 does not, but partially because it doesn't have to. Most multiplat Xbox One games with tearing were already vsynced on PS4.

Series X applies 16x AF to all BC games. PS5 does not.

Series X applies simulated HDR to some BC games. It seems to be a majority, but a sizeable amount have been tested and don't have this. PS5 maps all non-HDR BC games to an HDR container. The Microsoft solution is much better when it works, but even games that have Auto HDR may be blown out or black crushed.

Thank you guys so much for these explanations! Very, very much appreciated and helpful.

RalliArtEvo

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
These reports (and many more I didn't include) are great. But I really want to be sure of specifics before I add anything. To that end, if possible please post or link some 60fps video to analyze. 4K screenshots can also help see if resolution has changed. I understand not everyone will be able to, but the more the better. Thanks!

I'm happy to help supply videos for EDF, what's the best/easiest way to do this?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I don't add games to the list until they've actually been tested. Developer announcements can be wrong, and even visual impressions can be subjective or mistaken.
I have played Genshin on both PS4 and PS5 for comparison. Easily enough, you can see and feel that it's 60fps without the judder on the PS5 now after the 1.1 patch on Nov 11th.
I'll see if I can upload a vid from the PS5 and PS4 later if that's what you need.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
First thing I tried on PS5 was Virtual On Oratorio Tangram :P Happy to report it and PD Future Tone work great.

njean777

Jan 2, 2020
I tried KH3 yesterday and it ran better than on my slim ps4, gonna dive into a bit more today and I'll see.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a copy of the PS4 game and PSVR hooked up to PS5 via adapter, and it won't play? Or are you reporting how the game is described in the OS?
Apparently the list of incompatible titles Sony has given is incomplete. At least these titles also seem to be incompatible
  • Pool Nation
  • Tower of Time
  • The Gardens Between
  • PixelBOT EXTREME!
  • YIIK: A Postmodern RPG
  • Golem (PSVR)
Source: http://thisgengaming.com/2020/11/13...-arent-backwards-compatible-on-playstation-5/

For both Golem and The Gardens Between i've seen other people verify this. They might be truly incompatible, waiting for a compatibility patch or simply be wrongly flagged in the API.

Edit: More incompatible games

• Disintegration (with multiplayer getting shut down this year, it's possible it just wasn't worth the effort to make it compatible)
  • Golem (this is one of several PSVR games I own that isn't compatible; it's possible Sony is working on it for a future update, given that every game in the PSVR pool counts)
  • NHL 17
  • Star Wars Battlefront (2015)
Source: https://www.destructoid.com/stories...on-ps5-and-aren-t-on-sony-s-list-610071.phtml

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Ngl, I'm pretty hyped to revisit Galak-Z on PS5. The performance was never amazing on PS4, but I bet it could see a boost to locked 60.

Red5

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that is a little confusing is the Return to Arkham collection. Both games take up one tile and you have to click the little 3 dots icon to be able to switch between Asylum and City.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
The European version of Golem is listed as compatible, but I suspect not many owners of it will have been able to verify it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed a weird thing when browsing my library. A couple of my games show "Not compatible", stuff like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and The Division, but they have a "Get compatible version" button, and after that they seem to work. What's the deal with that? What's the point of that button and why aren't they compatible before that?

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed a weird thing when browsing my library. A couple of my games show "Not compatible", stuff like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and The Division, but they have a "Get compatible version" button, and after that they seem to work. What's the deal with that? What's the point of that button and why aren't they compatible before that?
Maybe there was a trial version and the library is confused because of that?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Did you own Demo's/Beta's of these? Possibly the OS not properly signaling you got access to the full game?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, wonder what the issue is with Battlefront 1? Hope either EA patch it or Sony can fix it on a firmware level, I'd been hoping to go back to that at some point.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there was a trial version and the library is confused because of that?
Did you own Demo's/Beta's of these? Possibly the OS not properly signaling you got access to the full game?
Ohh, I think you're right. I'm pretty sure I downloaded the demo for VC4 and maybe the beta for Division. It's unfortunate that it confuses the system like that, but at least it's easy to fix on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.