• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
There's a list of 100 games with the 'bootable' tag that are meant to present issues. Ape Escape 2 is one of them.

Do you by chance have a screenshot or video of what its like? I wonder if its similar to Assassins Creed Syndicate. I adore Ape Escape too how sad. :(

Not yet, but I don't mind fiddling with the PS5 settings to get one shared up to YouTube shortly!

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you very much for your efforts! It's a great help to the community.

Each row is a user-selectable mode within the game. I'll be revising the OP to make this clearer.

Keep in mind that, while it runs at twice the framerate, it's also one-quarter the resolution.

Great details! The remaster games are 1440p on Pro.

If there's any way you can upload short 60fps videos showing typical performance, that'd be very helpful. I understand if you can't, thanks!

Shenmue III and both Nioh games are in fact in the OP list. You can use Ctrl-F to find them.

No, this is incorrect. Here are the actual scenarios:

For the vast majority of BC games (95%+), both platforms will only raise reolution and framerate up to their original coded caps. This means for Xbox One multiplats with no One X version (i.e. most of them), the Series X setup is likely to be lower resokution than on PS5, and/or possibly with lower graphical settings. For multiplats with a One X version, the Series X setup is likely to be higher resolution, and maybe higher settings, than PS5. (But PS5 framerate might be better).

Series X will play all Xbox One games except those that require Kinect. (~3500) It will also play ~600 Xbox 360 games. It will also play ~50 original Xbox games.

PS5 will play almost all PS4 games except those listed in the OP. (~4500) It will also play ~50 PS2 games rereleased on PS4. A very small percentage of these games may have glitches when played.

Series X increases resolution and framerate above previous ceilings on ~50 Xbox 360 games, and all the original Xbox games it can play. Microsoft have also announced 2 Xbox One games with limit breaking like this, but neither (Gears Ultimate and Fallout 4) are available yet.

Series X applies vsync to all BC games. PS5 does not, but partially because it doesn't have to. Most multiplat Xbox One games with tearing were already vsynced on PS4.

Series X applies 16x AF to all BC games. PS5 does not.

Series X applies simulated HDR to some BC games. It seems to be a majority, but a sizeable amount have been tested and don't have this. PS5 maps all non-HDR BC games to an HDR container. The Microsoft solution is much better when it works, but even games that have Auto HDR may be blown out or black crushed.
This is a really good, unbiased, informative post.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
BORDERLANDS GOTY EDITION used to have nauseating screen tearing that is completely gone now on PS5 BC. Game is running pretty flawless, feels like.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
That'd be great thanks. :) I'm very curious.

Oof, signing into YouTube to share it from the PS5 brought up a browser (already odd) and then after signing in the accounts.google.com page says "Couldn't sign you in. This browser or app may not be secure."

Anyone know a way around this on PS5?

Edit: I solved this by linking my PSN and YouTube account by using a PS4... not a great solution, but it worked!

Last edited:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Here's those Ape Escape 2 glitches I was describing:

oof yeah its really flickery, just like Syndicate. Instead of the lighting though, it's the UI and textures. I completed it so many times so I'll sadly have to skip another playthrough on PS5.

Such a shame, I doubt Sony could or would fix PS2 games. Thanks for the video.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Everybody's golf has just been updated to 1.17 its first patch in over a year. Wonder if its a ps5 patch?

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
Skater XL definitely runs at better frame rates, not sure what resolution or FPS, but I play this a lot on my Pro and it's way smoother now, no more dips when turning, lol

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No, not my beloved Ape Escape! Had just reinstalled it on PS4 for a replay too :(
BORDERLANDS GOTY EDITION used to have nauseating screen tearing that is completely gone now on PS5 BC. Game is running pretty flawless, feels like.
Aha - that'll be why I found it unplayable! Good to know, and delighted it's fixed.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Can BC games be patched to use some of the advanced haptics and, more importantly, the adaptive triggers on the DualSense? My gut feeling is "no", but it's hard to find concise, reliable information.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
While I love all these impression, I am a bit worried about putting ff 7r, 14 and 15 on the console since it seems they are going to eat up almost 250 GB alone.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
uninstall em or put them on an external? Not like you need all three at once lol

True but if they are on the external, they aren't going to run as fast with that sexy SSD load speed. I suppose I will hold off on FF7r until they announce the dlc (if that is indeed coming). I have been waiting for a faster FFXV for years and no more of those ridiculous load times.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It's true...Dreams is basically unrestrained on PS5, and it hasn't even been properly patched :,)

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So dumb question too, if I plug my ssd external hard drive will I still get all these improvements on games or is it simply just games on the internal hard drive that gets these boosts?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I can confirm that Ys IX - a game that had absolutely terrible performance on PS4 - is now a locked (I assume) 1080p/60 on PS5.

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil
Can BC games be patched to use some of the advanced haptics and, more importantly, the adaptive triggers on the DualSense? My gut feeling is "no", but it's hard to find concise, reliable information.
Yes, it can. But for now just 2 BC games (GoW and TLoU II) are using DualSense features, you can check the source here.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Right now the amount of games getting patched isn't very high and for something relatively old i don't expect any movement in that regard from Publishers. These things would have a dev cost for no monetary gain, assuming they don't charge anything for it.
The same was true for PS4 Pro as well, though. But if I remember correctly, about 100-150 games released before Pro came out were patched to support it. (All Pro versions are free of charge.) That's still a small percentage, but as an absolute number it's not tiny.

I just tried Ape Escape 2 and immediately upon seeing gameplay there were an absolute ton of glitchy screen artifacts present. Didn't expect that! Guessing most of the PS2 games emulated on PS4 will be similarly rough for now.
No, it likely doesn't have much to do with being a PS2 re-release. Ape Escape 2 just happens to be one of the ~130 games listed as merely "Bootable" by Sony. The other PS2 games on the list are Manhunt, Metal Slug Anthology, Okage, Primal, and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. The remaining ~50 PS2 rereleases are listed as "Compatible" and will probably be fine.

Pretty sure Ether One was already a locked 60 fps when I played it on PS4 Pro. Maybe it ran worse before being patched.
I don't suppose by chance you know of any footage showing the later patched game on Pro? Most videos don't have that info. It definitely ran worse to begin with, I did the framerate analysis myself.

Any yet out GTA 5 online? I know an update is coming but I am curious.
According to the one report I've seen, it runs very similarly to the main game. I didn't list it separately because the impressions were pretty brief.

Maybe I missed it but hows FF15?
It's in the OP.

Is there a big difference in external ssd vs hdd load times?
Yes. For backwards compatible games, whether you use a HDD or SSD is the main switch for loading improvements. External SSD versus internal SSD has much less of an effect. All PS4 games seem to load faster on PS5, but with a standard drive the benefit is much smaller.

According to this Gamesradar article, there's at least two PS4 games that already support DualSense, including the trigger feedback. I haven't put this in the FAQ yet in case they're just misinterpreting the feel of VCA rumble versus the old kind. I want to wait on further reports to confirm. Their detailed impressions suggest it's real, though.

Can only comment on infinite, but it performs really well and loading a save takes about 6 seconds to get in the game
Thought I'd try out the Walking Dead Definitive Collection since all Telltale games run like crap on the PS4/Pro, and after playing for 15 minutes it seems quite improved. Small stutters when making choices etc. but overall it seems better. There were some graphical glitches on the main menu of season 1 but I didn't notice anything wrong once I started the actual game.
I know it's a fairly old game, but I thought I'd test out Shadow Warrior. Seems to be locked 60 without the crapload of screen tearing it used to have.
Skater XL definitely runs at better frame rates, not sure what resolution or FPS, but I play this a lot on my Pro and it's way smoother now, no more dips when turning, lol
Thanks everyone for your input! It would be very helpful if any of you could post some 60fps footage somewhere that I could analyze. That way I can potentially figure out details about the improvements. Thanks in advance!

My PS5 thread, for native and upgraded PS5 games is now up, you can find here: PS5 Games Tech Details - Resolution, Frame Rate, Ray Tracing, and more
Congratulations, and thank you!

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
No, it likely doesn't have much to do with being a PS2 re-release. Ape Escape 2 just happens to be one of the ~130 games listed as merely "Bootable" by Sony. The other PS2 games on the list are Manhunt, Metal Slug Anthology, Okage, Primal, and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. The remaining ~50 PS2 rereleases are listed as "Compatible" and will probably be fine.

Very strange; I wonder what those select PS2 titles are doing that doesn't agree with the PS5, but glad most of them seem to work.

Either way, thanks so much for the work you put into this thread! I purchased over a dozen cheap PS4 games in the last week due to how impressive the BC implementation is!

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Do we know if there are any PS5 upgrades planned for TLOU2? I'm interested in replaying it, but this list seems to indicate there are no benefits on PS5. Wondering if I should hold off a bit longer.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.