• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
To preface I have my PS5 connected to an LG C9 which outputs audio to a Sonos sound bar.

I also use arctis 7x headphones connected via USB.

What's the best audio output to set the console to?

I played around with it earlier as I noticed the sound was quite lame in cold war, I wasn't hearing when I was being shot from behind.

I set the output to Dolby and thought it sounded better.

Should I keep it with linear PCM or Dolby?

Oct 29, 2017
I read on another forum (AVForums) to always use LPCM and 7.1, then let the soundbar decode it all. Apparently LPCM is raw while Dolby and DTS are compressed.

Nov 21, 2020
Which sonos soundbar are you using and are you using HDMI or optical connection? Do you have a sonos surround setup?

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
Idk, but I have an Earc TV (tcl r635) and Earc soundbar (Q70t) but PCM doesn't work for 5.1 for me. To get sound out of my rear speakers 8 have to use dts or dolby..

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
Same for one of my TV's, honestly I don't hear a difference with DTS on BUT it's at least in sync correctly unlike using Dolby.
Same here. Dolby is delayed heavily, but DTS is almost perfect for me. It is majorly annoying for Switch though since it only has LPCM, so I can't use surround sound with my Switch...

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Dolby for the soundbar unless it supports 5.1/7.1 LPCM. The system will switch to LPCM when headphones are connected.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Same here. Dolby is delayed heavily, but DTS is almost perfect for me. It is majorly annoying for Switch though since it only has LPCM, so I can't use surround sound with my Switch...
Only way to get Switch in Surround is have it pass through the Soundbar since Switch doesn't have these sound options.

Wonder why these TCL tvs have such bad delay with standard Dolby but DTS is fine.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
To preface I have my PS5 connected to an LG C9 which outputs audio to a Sonos sound bar.

I played around with it earlier as I noticed the sound was quite lame in cold war, I wasn't hearing when I was being shot from behind.

If you want to use the PS5's tempest engine the headset needs to be connected via USB to the ps5. I know they are working on getting it working over optical but right now thats the only option.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I too have the Sonos ARC and there is a known bug currently with the LPCM support where it is having issues mixing certain channels. Sonos should be updating with a fix soon enough, but I definitely have noticed certain audio signals muffled or disappearing myself when panning around(like directly behind me in Borderlands 3)

Some say the best setup currently for PS5 with Arc is setting your audio source to AV receiver(not Soundbar, so you can select next option)-> manually select 5.1(NOT 7.1 channels). Then try LPCM and Bitrate Dolby. Select what you prefer in testing. I currently have Bitrate Dolby until Sonos updates and I will test again.

This is without using a headset btw, just audio coming from soundbar and surrounds.

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Okay I set the audio input setting, under advanced audio settings, for the HDMI that the PS5 is connected into to PCM.

Kept the ps5 output to linear PCM and it's sounding better now.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Speaking of those options No Depth mentioned, has anyone talked about what the TV, Soundbar, AV Amplifier actually do in terms of sound quality? I understand the AV option but I didn't see a difference in TV or Soundbar when testing it. Set it up to AV 5.1 since someone mentioned doing that before.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Speaking of those options No Depth mentioned, has anyone talked about what the TV, Soundbar, AV Amplifier actually do in terms of sound quality? I understand the AV option but I didn't see a difference in TV or Soundbar when testing it. Set it up to AV 5.1 since someone mentioned doing that before.
It wouldn't surprise me if it basically just changes the dynamic range of the output, with TV speakers having the narrowest range and home theater having the widest range.

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I too have the Sonos ARC and there is a known bug currently with the LPCM support where it is having issues mixing certain channels. Sonos should be updating with a fix soon enough, but I definitely have noticed certain audio signals muffled or disappearing myself when panning around(like directly behind me in Borderlands 3)

Some say the best setup currently for PS5 with Arc is setting your audio source to AV receiver(not Soundbar, so you can select next option)-> manually select 5.1(NOT 7.1 channels). Then try LPCM and Bitrate Dolby. Select what you prefer in testing. I currently have Bitrate Dolby until Sonos updates and I will test again.

This is without using a headset btw, just audio coming from soundbar and surrounds.
I've given this a try.

Should I still use the 5.1 Ch if it's just the Sonos arc sound bar under the speaker and no surround ones?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Use Dolby. You can see what the sound bar is getting with the sonos app. When it's LPCM its only 2.0 sound vs 5.1 with Dolby. To see what the sound bar has go to settings —> About my system —> sonos system info and switch between the LPCM and Dolby and you will see the diff.
also setting to sound bar really doesn't do anything vs the 5.1 which just allows you to change the angles of the sound.

s1lver

Oct 28, 2017
I have a LG SN9Y (5.1.2) and a LG B9. I'm also curious on how should I use it, i have it on "Soundbar" and Dolby but I'm not sure what is the best setting.

Nov 14, 2017
Use Dolby. You can see what the sound bar is getting with the sonos app. When it's LPCM its only 2.0 sound vs 5.1 with Dolby. To see what the sound bar has go to settings —> About my system —> sonos system info and switch between the LPCM and Dolby and you will see the diff.
also setting to sound bar really doesn't do anything vs the 5.1 which just allows you to change the angles of the sound.
Didn't they update the firmware for the Sonos Arc so it can do 5.1 LPCM? I thought I remember reading that.

My setup with the Sony X900H and a JBL 9.1 soundbar is I have the PS5 set for AV Amplifier, 5.1ch and Linear PCM. It sounds pretty good to me but same as OP any recommendations to improve/perfect the sound quality are much appreciated.

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017

This sounds MUCH better.

Thank you!

Definitely suggest this for others facing similar issues.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't they update the firmware for the Sonos Arc so it can do 5.1 LPCM? I thought I remember reading that.

My setup with the Sony X900H and a JBL 9.1 soundbar is I have the PS5 set for AV Amplifier, 5.1ch and Linear PCM. It sounds pretty good to me but same as OP any recommendations to improve/perfect the sound quality are much appreciated.
I'm not sure I have the older sound bar def don't doesnt do it. You can check in the app and see what you are getting.