• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I've got the Sony Golds (uncharted 4 variant) attached to my PS5 and have a box with the Platinums (backup for when Golds die), also have the Pulse 3Ds that is gonna be a gift to my brother but he didn't mind me opening them up and testing.

Honestly didn't really notice any difference at all between Pulse and the Gold while playing Astros Playroom, I prefer playing with my soundbar so I've rarely (like... never in the last 2 years) used my headsets but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between Pulse and Gold's.

I DID experience some audio drops and crackles, with BOTH, not sure if that is a PS5 issue or wireless interference from wifi/etc. Zero crackle/drops when playing over HDMI (soundbar).

I have a Sony 1000XM3's i use daily for my walks/workouts and I find those far more comfortable than either gold or pulse. I'd rate the gold as slightly more comfy than pulse, but thats more a "my big head" issue than cup comfort, or it could just be break in time.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been using it in Miles Morales and Demon's Souls and I think it sounds great. I was thinking of upgrading right away, but I feel confident in holding off or not at all.

great news to hear, I was concerned about 3D audio on it, do you leave it turned off on the headset?

Jul 1, 2020
I've been using my Corsair Virtuoso headset plugged into the controller and it sounds great. I haven't tried the wireless mode yet but it was supported on PS4 and sounded good.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I have been using my like 8-year-old Bose Noice Cancelling headphones with the ps5 and they sound just fine.
No reason to go out and buy sonys 3d audio headset.

Kapote

Jul 3, 2019
I have a pair of the Sony WH1000XM3 but the PS4 integration is shocking (Can't use the mic when connected via bluetooth) BUT I'm hoping that Bluetooth or via Controller Jack they will be good
Anyone heard anything on them?
Wait, can I use the 1000XM3 on the PS4 via bluetooth? How?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox (That's the official name) works really well with PS5 - clear, 3D audio and positioning... very pleased in how it sounds.

The regular Arctis 1 Wireless will probably have same functionality, since it's effectively the same headset... the dongle is different for the "Xbox" version.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Im using the Arctis 7x.
I just bought a pair. They seem to do everything the Pulse does and more from the reviews. They are $150 instead of $100, but work on all console and PC
Whats the difference between the Arctis 7x and 7P? I have the regular 7 and it only works wireless to PC so I might upgrade but how do you switch between PC and PS5? I'm wondering if its a hassle.

Does a headset connected to Dualsense use Tempest engine?

OP
OP
Marble

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Good to read the audio is fine when plugged into the controller. I think I will sell or return my Pulse 3D and stick with the Platinum or Bose QC35 II's if I want noise cancellation.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Using the headphone jack on the controller with 3D audio turned on is an awful experience with any game or app that doesn't support 3D audio. The wording on the toggle for 3D Audio makes it sound like if your software doesn't support it, it will default back to normal audio, but instead it pumps out shit audio. So unless I'm playing DS or MM, I turn it off and the audio stream is surprisingly good. I'm using HD598s and the controller powers them fine. Good audio and bass, which was never true on PS4.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Using the headphone jack on the controller with 3D audio turned on is an awful experience with any game or app that doesn't support 3D audio. The wording on the toggle for 3D Audio makes it sound like if your software doesn't support it, it will default back to normal audio, but instead it pumps out shit audio. So unless I'm playing DS or MM, I turn it off and the audio stream is surprisingly good. I'm using HD598s and the controller powers them fine. Good audio and bass, which was never true on PS4.

Good to hear that controller piped headphones have seen an improvement at least.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
which USB DAC are people using for the PS5?

Just looking for something cheap to use with my Sennheiser 598s.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
which USB DAC are people using for the PS5?

Just looking for something cheap to use with my Sennheiser 598s.
I think you should plug it into the controller first and see if you like it. It's not terrible imo. You could always use a cheap amp if the volume from the controller was insufficient.

Does the PS5 support Bluetooth headsets now? I have some nice Sony ones.

It does not unfortunately.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
I've used a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 studio headphones, a pair of AKG earbuds that came with my Samsung phone, and a 30 dollar Chinese gaming headset I purchased off of Amazon. I used the 3.5 jack on the controller for all 3 as I do not have any wireless headphones at the moment. I can tell you that there really isn't much of a difference between any of them outside of the quality of the headphones themselves.

It's really a bummer that so many people have been convinced they need special headphones to experience the 3D audio when the Pulse headset is just your average stereo headset. I guess it worked in their favor because they're sold out everywhere but it certainly has lead to a lot of misinformation.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I have tested with a number of Hyper sets as well as some Senss as well as steelseries and some Beyers.
Tested with about 20 headsets so far and about 11 dacs

What questions to people have?

Have you tested with the steelseries 7p? If so, what are your impressions ?

AJUK

May 28, 2019
havent gotten an update yet. Yeah im plugging in directly.
Ahh ok cool. I'm going to check for an update Wednesday, on the official steel series site it says there will be an "optional update" to the gamedac:

steelseries.com

PlayStation 5 Compatible Headsets

We hope you're as excited for PlayStation 5 as we are. But going next-gen might leave you wondering if you headset is compatible. Here's a handy reference guide, with some additional info for PlayStation 5 questions specifically.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I own a Stealth 7000 gaming headset and the sound quality is excellent for those that like quality audio without getting into audiophile territory.

Games that highlight the sound quality on my headset are TLoU:II and Demon's Souls. You will be blown away, guaranteed.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Have a set of Phillips SPH9500's, and they sound fantastic with the PS5. First used them via the headphone jack on the controller, then passed it from my PS5 to my monitor to my PC to my headphones, but thanks to the DAC thread posted the other day, I grabbed a Sound Blaster X G6 dac/amp, which is going to an audio mixer to my headphones. Regardless, I really love these headphones, as they are SUPER comfortable, and sound excellent, and as long as you're fine with open backs, are a good choice, especially when they're on sale (as far as mics go, currently just using the controller mic, and it seems to work well enough).

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Any impressions on more harder to drive than usual headphones 150ohms-250ohms?

How's the headphone jacks output? Is it still underpowered?

Does the 3D audio only work on controller output for now? How about through the HDMI then Optical to a DAC and Amp to headphones?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 3D sound is Marketing Hype big time. I'm playing games wearing the pulse headset and I'd call it bare minimum
Have you tested with the steelseries 7p? If so, what are your impressions ?
I have indeed. No problems at all.

Any impressions on more harder to drive than usual headphones 150ohms-250ohms?

How's the headphone jacks output? Is it still underpowered?

Does the 3D audio only work on controller output for now? How about through the HDMI then Optical to a DAC and Amp to headphones?
For me above 100ohm I noticed a drop off for sure in volume. Though the sensitivity in that set isn't amazing.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here use cheap $30-40 earbuds plugged into the dualsense instead of headsets? Is the 3D audio still pretty good?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone here use cheap $30-40 earbuds plugged into the dualsense instead of headsets? Is the 3D audio still pretty good?
I use wired Apple earbuds and thought it was surprisingly good. Leagues better than PS4 in terms of both audio quality and consistency - they didn't cut out once in twelve hours of Demons Souls.

Babadook

self-requsted ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I recommend getting a good wired headset and plugging them into the controller. You still get 3D audio and voice chat via the dual sense mic. Just look up reviews for headphones with good neutral sound. I like my 400i 2020 editions. Sennhieser 560s is probably a bit better but pricier.

Edit: don't use high Ohm though, if you plug them into the Dual Sense. So 560s would be too quiet.

Last edited:

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Nope. I did turn off the sound profile I was using. But toggling between VSS on and off I can't hear a difference in game.

OP
OP
Marble

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Little update from me: I sold the Pulse. It sounds absolutely not as good as my Platinum, but my Platinum is also no being used anymore. I'm plugging in my Bose QC35 II's into the controller. It's the most comfortable headset I've ever used and I can use the ANC with it, so I don't get bothered. Audio is awesome.