• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
I am one of those fellas who desperately want a PS5 but seemingly won't be able to get one in my hands until 2021 due to stock issues.

I initially planned to hold out for Next gen hardware until i switch to a 4K monitor but next-gen's features being much more than just games with higher resolutions makes me want to buy PS5 as far as possible.

Still, as PS5 and XSX both target 4K resolutions, i have still fears of missing out.

Whether a Series S is a better purchase if i am not planning to upgrade my screen anytime soon is also a question in my mind since i am currently %100 content with how my 27 inch 1080p screen looks.

I want to know the experiences of 1080p screen owners with their next gen consoles fo far. Do you happy with how your games look or do you think you really need a 4K screen to do justice to these shiny new consoles.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I play on a 1080p monitor and all of the games on my PS5 look very clean and smooth. I love it and think they're worth getting.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Do you think the 200$ difference is worth it for 1080p screens?
Yes as it comes with a bigger SSD, and games perform better, and have better ray tracing. Right now games like DMC5 SE and Cold War dont support ray tracing on XSS. And in the case of Cold war the game drops more frames than either PS5 or XSX.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I play on a 1080p monitor and all of the games on my PS5 look very clean and smooth. I love it and think they're worth getting.

Basically this. Developers should add a third mode aside from Fidelity and Performace called 1080p Fidelity, which gives you the fidelity/ray tracing but at 1080p with an unlocked framerate.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Yes, but there's more to it than just the resolution. Last gen did HDR as well, but throw in 120hz and VRR and games are looking great on my monitor without 4k. Go past the visuals and look at things like loading times and other SSD related features the consoles put in place and I'm happy with my XSX.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I have 1080p display with a 3080 because I want to ultra most things at high FPS

edit: getting ps5 on Sunday too same display lol eventually I'll get a 4K display but for the time being I'm more than happy

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Basically this. Developers should add a third mode aside from Fidelity and Performace called 1080p Fidelity, which gives you the fidelity/ray tracing but at 1080p with an unlocked framerate.
Wait, are the current 60FPS modes not already only 1080p? I assumed you were choosing between resolution and frame rate.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 4k Sony TV and a 1080p 144hz HDR capable monitor. I honestly play on the monitor more. Supersampling makes the image look so clean. I don't think the resolution is honestly that big of a drawback. It would be the lack of HDR.

That being said, you probably don't have a monitor like mine, so I'd say the TV upgrade would be good. You can get a 40 something inch for $400 or so, and it'd be good.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I've been debating getting a 4k TV for my PS5 but after playing it I don't think it's necessarily worth the cost if you're someone who prefers to save the money. Also depending on your sitting distance you might not even notice any difference.

The games look really sharp and crisp and still look better than most PS4 games did on my TV.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Wait, are the current 60FPS modes not already only 1080p? I assumed you were choosing between resolution and frame rate.

Some of them are 4k or adaptive 4k, but that wouldn't matter to someone with a 1080p display is what I'm saying. That's why a third option of running fidelity mode at only 1080p with an unlocked framerate could potentially benefit those with 1080p TVs/monitors, because 4k resolution is one of the big reasons why they are capping the games at 30fps.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Some of them are 4k or adaptive 4k, but that wouldn't matter to someone with a 1080p display is what I'm saying. That's why a third option of running fidelity mode at only 1080p with an unlocked framerate could potentially benefit those with 1080p TVs/monitors, because 4k resolution is one of the big reasons why they are capping the games at 30fps.
Oh yeah I get that. I was just thinking when I get back to my 4K TV I was going to choose graphics mode as standard, because I want a crisp image quality. But if it's more like a dynamic sub 4K but way higher than 1080p image with 60FPS for performance mode then that's much better.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
this thread makes me feel better, as i'll be going from my 65" 4K X950 to a 21" 1080p monitor for a few months until HDMI 2.1 monitors drop.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yes as it comes with a bigger SSD, and games perform better, and have better ray tracing. Right now games like DMC5 SE and Cold War dont support ray tracing on XSS. And in the case of Cold war the game drops more frames than either PS5 or XSX.

Cold War does have Ray Tracing on Series S actually, and also a 120fps mode. Earlier reports of these missing features were due to a bug related to the Series S not downloading a ray tracing dlc pack. I expect Series S to have feature parity more now that we are out of the launch period.

I could certainly see XSX performing better overall though, and all games will be downsampled, giving it perfect image quality. It will also have all the Xbox One X upgrades, not to mention it also having a 4k blu-ray player and the ability to play disc based games.

The benefits of the Series S are probably possibly faster loading, and the cheaper price.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I have 1080p display with a 3080 because I want to ultra most things at high FPS
Damn right comrade. Sticking with 1080p as a means to push high framerates seems like the most overlooked avenue in gaming.

I'm at 1080p/240Hz and am here to stay, at least until 1440p/240Hz is a legit thing.

I'm super interested in where 5nm GPUs push things.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
1080p TV set owner here (Sony 42W705B) since 2014. Once all TVs are 2.1 compliant I will probably make the switch to a 4K OLED set, mid 2021 I am thinking.

Currently, have the PS5 hooked up to the above TV and also sometimes connecting it to a Dell U2414H monitor. Both solutions give me an ultrasharp image, the supersampling works wonders.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on a 1080p monitor, and just finished Astro. Trying to finish one game before buying another. But it was super clean, and notably better IQ than I recall from PS4 games.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been mostly playing PS5 on a 1080p monitor too. It's an upgrade over the PS4 Pro.

That said I have ordered a 4k monitor in the black friday sale. I got sick of waiting for HDMI 2.1 monitors, not out until early next year at the earliest , but who knows when we will first get one without bugs/issues, I'm guessing 2022.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I use a 1440P monitor and a 1080p TV. Both look fine, I even had the Series X output at 720p while playing on my TV for the first time and didn't notice.

Text can be quite small on the TV since I sit further back.

Waiting for more TVs and monitors to adopt 2.1 features before upgrading. And I like to sit with the news on all day and my SO always leaves Netflix paused for hours so I don't think the LG OLED is for me.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, all the games look great. I can feel there is some loss of fidelity or "pizazz" without a better more feature rich screen but its all I got at the moment. I've been eagerly awaiting a 4K screen for 5 years, but they are stupid expensive here sadly.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Games definitely look good. Personally, I hoped for more 1080p native modes. Maybe 60 FPS with visuals equivalent to the Fidelity modes in 4K.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
I had the opportunity to see Lg OLED 1080P and LG OLED 4K, both 55'', side by side yesterday at home.

The difference vanishes when more than 3 meters away from the tv.
I think coming from 1080P OLED to 4k OLED is not worth it.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Playing on an average 1080p set to game mode. The Downsampling alone makes it work it for me. Everything looks so clean and sharp

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had the opportunity to see Lg OLED 1080P and LG OLED 4K, both 55'', side by side yesterday at home.

High frame rate (120Hz+) and HDR are so much more important than resolution. It's a shame that the general public just gobbles up that 4K marketing.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've got a 1080p LCD TV at the moment and might be able to upgrade to a 4K TV in the new year. I can't afford a 120hz TV though looking at the current prices but I'm hoping the extra resolution and HDR will be enough of a difference...

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I'm happy plus it seems like the trend for 60FPS and RT will run at resolutions at 1080p so it seems great so far

I think the only reason I would upgrade is for a 4k 120Hz VRR OLED but they are far too expensive...happy with what I have right now

Last edited:

bert muscle

Aug 15, 2018
Hey OP, I play on a 17inch 1080p 240hz Asus panel. Series S. The PPI of 1080p is insane at this monitor size. However, I've noticed when the S runs a game at a higher resolution, the supersampled image is unmistakably cleaner. I'd say go for one of the more powerful consoles, the only reason I picked up an S is because I'm such a fan of the hardware design.

Also, if you were to go the Series X route, it only renders the UI at 1080p. Personally, I'd prefer the UI to render at native resolution. Coupled with the supersampling and the high framerate modes on offer at this point (Borderlands 3 runs at 1080p 120hz on Series X) I'd say keeping to 1080p is a safe bet.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
60 FPS and loading has been super nice.

The super sampled 4k image on my Panasonic plasma is amazing.

I honestly wouldn't upgrade if it was just 1080p->4k. My plasma still looks better than most tvs out there in a lot of scenarios. But I have the itch because of hdr, 120hz and VRR mostly.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I actually got a 4k monitor to see what the fuss is all about but have gone back to a 1080p TV set as it still looks better overall.

1080p TV set owner here (Sony 42W705B) since 2014. Once all TVs are 2.1 compliant I will probably make the switch to a 4K OLED set, mid 2021 I am thinking.

Currently, have the PS5 hooked up to the above TV and also sometimes connecting it to a Dell U2414H monitor. Both solutions give me an ultrasharp image, the supersampling works wonders.

Got the same TV, just can't give it up. I've had two 4k monitors now and still keep going back.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017

I also have an 1080p OLED and I'm really happy with it, Gears 5 and Ori look colorful, crisp and smooth. The only feature that is making me consider replacing it with a CX is HDR which I've never seen in action (aside from my phone). Is HDR really that "game changer"? Im also afraid that my Bluray collection and Switch games will look worse on a 4K tv, do you think they look better on the 1080p?

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1080p monitor hooked up to my XSX and a 4K HDR TV hooked up to my PS5 (I like having them in different rooms) and I'm just as impressed by the Series X graphically as the PS5.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I wish games would offer a 1080P Quality mode at 60 FPS instead of forcing the 4K resolution.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I played WRC9 on PS5 on my 240hz 27" Benq monitor and I saw some kind of screen door effect with very finely detailed black pixel raster all over the screen. I only noticed it in Sweden with the winter races so far. Not sure what that is though.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
60 FPS and loading has been super nice.

The super sampled 4k image on my Panasonic plasma is amazing.

I honestly wouldn't upgrade if it was just 1080p->4k. My plasma still looks better than most tvs out there in a lot of scenarios. But I have the itch because of hdr, 120hz and VRR mostly.
Thanks for this comment....I decided a while back I couldn't justify trading in my Panasonic plasma 1080p set,the picture is so good,great black levels plus that super low response time(that's the reason I chose a plasma set back in the day anyway becuase it seemed great for gaming).
Looking forward to seeing how the PS5 looks on my set...if I can get hold of one in the new year,lol.

Jan 13, 2020
I have a Series S with a 32" 1080p Toshiba LCD that cost me £349 in 2011. I'm considering upgrading to a 4k HDR LED. Just a super cheap one like a 43" HiSense A7300 which I can get through work for like £240. Would that still be considered a worthwhile upgrade, do people think?

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
What's 200$ for something you're going to use several hours a week for the next ~seven years.

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Sony Bravia 1080p TV owner here.
Connected my PS5 to a 4K monitor and went straight back to my 1080p TV.
looks better to me.