• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really despise people who scalp game consoles. It definitely sucks for those who really want to play on day one and who are unable to get one. But they'll get them eventually. I think people who scalp limited items like concert tickets or collectors editions are quite a bit scummier.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
Scalpers of any products are assholes. I had to deal with that with my Switch. I had to deal with it when getting a PS5 of my own and trying (and failing) to get one for a good friend. But they are sadly apart the FOMO marketing that all of these tech companies are seemingly involving themselves in and it is working (given I have purchased from scalpers before, I am part of the issue).

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've seen people ASKING if anyone has a xbox series x and offering almost double.

I'm more shocked people are willing to spend 2-3x MSRP

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, these are the prices I'm seeing on FB marketplace in my area.

PS5: $850-$1000
Series X: $800-$900
Series S: $450

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people ASKING if anyone has a xbox series x and offering almost double.

I'm more shocked people are willing to spend 2-3x MSRP

Some people just have too much money to waste. Game consoles are hardly the only thing this applies to. The more money you have, the less it actually means to you. It's just like how $100 is a lot to a kid but not to most adults.

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
ngl, so far it's been extremely nostalgic having to like camp out with multiple tabs open but it reminds me of sneaker hunting in the early 2000s. That said... I did want flip a couple to help pay for an engagement ring...

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Good god, He's gotta be making like 20k profit off that, assuming he sells them depending on how he sells. Maybe just giving them out to existing previous console fans 1 per customer was the right idea.
From an opportunity cost perspective, this is a thing he can do only every five to six years.

So quick back of the napkin math--20k/6 is 3,333k extra per year. He can make that in two months delivering pizzas--part time.

I don't get scalpers lol. Seems like such a hassle.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I have a few mates doing this. Really annoys me as I have other friends who haven't been able to get pre orders. All their excuses for doing it are complete bs.

I had an extra pre order in, just asked a friend if he wanted it at normal price. Would prefer someone who wants it to be able to enjoy it without taking advantage of them.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Idk why people are paying these scalper prices. Nobody has patience, lol.

Sony and MS want to crank these out. These are not sneakers.

I would never pay those prices and just wait like I always have.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
From an opportunity cost perspective, this is a thing he can do only every five to six years.

So quick back of the napkin math--20k/6 is 3,333k extra per year. He can make that in two months delivering pizzas--part time.

This.

Factor in all the idiotic emails, the no-shows, the low-ballers. You're making less than minimum wage.

OP
OP
Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
I have a few mates doing this. Really annoys me as I have other friends who haven't been able to get pre orders. All their excuses for doing it are complete bs.

I had an extra pre order in, just asked a friend if he wanted it at normal price. Would prefer someone who wants it to be able to enjoy it without taking advantage of them.

This is the way.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

smh people like this messed up idc

lsbjug4.jpg

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
I sold a PS5 disc version locally for $1200. I had no intention of reselling but that profit was too good to pass up.

manny.png

Last edited:

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
It can't be worse than people who took advantage of the high demand of face masks, bought all of them and sold them at ridiculous prices.

Now that the supply matched the demand you see them selling them at 50% of their normal price lol.

Assholes.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017

This.

Factor in all the idiotic emails, the no-shows, the low-ballers. You're making less than minimum wage.
I don't really understand that math. You are assuming this is the only thing they got going in their life at all is reselling PlayStation's. Even then. Their bot automatically did all the work. Charged it to some credit card getting hella reward points. Probably take less than a week to unload all those. I doubt more than 4 hours of effort is being put in a day to resell, but let's say 8 hours spent for 5 days of work. Puts this person at around $570 an hour lol. Assuming they get full value I see digital at $900 fine, but disc at $1000 not $1100. Now you tell someone they can make 20k in a week or work at a pizza place for a year. Let me know which one they pick.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand that math. You are assuming this is the only thing they got going in their life at all is reselling PlayStation's. Even then. Their bot automatically did all the work. Charged it to some credit card getting hella reward points. Probably take less than a week to unload all those. I doubt more than 4 hours of effort is being put in a day to resell, but let's say 8 hours spent for 5 days of work. Puts this person at around $570 an hour lol. Assuming they get full value I see digital at $900 fine, but disc at $1000 not $1100. Now you tell someone they can make 20k in a week or work at a pizza place for a year. Let me know which one they pick.
But it's every 6 years lol. It makes more sense if you do it consistently, with other items like sneakers.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh.

It's theirs to do what they want with. They're not forcing anyone to do anything, and we're talking about entertainment products, not vital merchandise.

I've never really gotten the ire they get.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
never blame the seller
blame the buyer that allows the market to exist
Fuck both of them - and anyone here that pre-ordered multiple systems for "backups".
Sites like eBay could easily put a stop to this, but it's not in their interests to do so - since they take a cut of the sale.

This is how people get their shit taken from them.
We can only hope.

Idk why people are paying these scalper prices. Nobody has patience, lol.
Sales are online-only, many people are still on lockdown - or back on lockdown, and it's Xmas season on top of that.
If you don't buy a scalped system, you're probably not going to get one until next year. FOMO is very strong right now.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Well if people didn't pay the markup on these things, then we wouldn't have scalpers. I wouldn't pay more than $500 on this thing, it's not like they're going to stop making them.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's always been bad, but over the past few years it seems like the resellers have gotten more good at the game and companies are doing nothing about it. Now you have all these sneaker resellers getting in on the new consoles.

Yes.

Can't believe people were paying between a grand and 2 for the trash that are Yeezies. Holy fuck do people have shit taste.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Eh.

It's theirs to do what they want with. They're not forcing anyone to do anything, and we're talking about entertainment products, not vital merchandise.

I've never really gotten the ire they get.
It's less of an issue with mass produced products like this, but it's still scummy as fuck to take from people that legitimately want one, and then prey on the FOMO of the ones with the cash to drop on the raised price.

What really gets me are the ones that buy up high-demand products from small boutique sellers that actually make what they're selling to just turn around and sell them for like triple the original price.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I was able to secure an extra Xbox and two extra PS5's for kids of my friends. I sold them at cost, and mainly just wanted to save their Christmas, because the parents/grandparents are not the type to know how to quickly secure these things, lol. Fuck scalpers though.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
There were literally dirt-fuckers posting comments saying they're planning on scalping on Sony's Official FB page on the launch posts.

It's one thing to be a scum fuck, it's a whole other thing to float about it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's less of an issue with mass produced products like this, but it's still scummy as fuck to take from people that legitimately want one, and then prey on the FOMO of the ones with the cash to drop on the raised price.

What really gets me are the ones that buy up high-demand products from small boutique sellers that actually make what they're selling to just turn around and sell them for like triple the original price.

They succeeded in buying something that's hotly demanded (and not a necessity/essential, like the dickheads who tried hoarding sanitation supplies in a pandemic).

I don't think it's scummy to turn around and make a profit off it. I might turn my nose up a bit at it, but some of the rhetoric surrounding the practice is OD.

Idk, man. Just comes across kinda whiny, especially once people start saying "fuck anyone paying this". They're enthusiastic about a thing and made a conscious decision to pay through the nose for it. *shrug* You'll get a console eventually if you missed out in the beginning and don't/can't pay that price.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was funny, someone on r/gamesale tried scalping a Series X and was immediately dogpiled. At least there has been little to no scalping there.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
"Fuck anyone" willing to pay for a product they want is a wild take, even if it's cause they're willing/able to pay more than you are.
If people didn't buy the scalped systems, scalping wouldn't be a problem.
The best thing to happen would be that these scalpers are left with stock they couldn't sell, or would have to sell them at cost. But that's not what's going to happen, unfortunately.
People that actually wanted systems to use them would most likely have been able to get them if it were not for scalpers - or at least stood a much higher chance.

So yes, the people buying scalped systems are as much of a problem as the scalpers - since they are the ones enabling it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people didn't buy the scalped systems, scalping wouldn't be a problem.

Why should people not make a purchase they're willing to make, though? They're paying more because they don't want to wait and they have the ability to do so.

I don't understand why the buyers, of all people here, need to alter their behavior. I don't think it's a wise use of money, but it's theirs to do what they want with and they aren't hurting anyone.