• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Not sure what has been posted before?
Most complex SoC? The ones on the market are the Xbox One and PS4.
Of course it's more complex.
If it has ARM it will either be for Security or for a low power standby mode to download updates at rest.

10+ IP and 100+ engineers??? Lol okay. It's new so new IP . Microsoft has engineers.

What's the rumours?
Hmm with this crazy XSeX Arm Soc what if they run the whole OS on the ARM cores leaving 100% of the x86 cores for gaming.
Hmmm... interesting.

Guess we should just pretend that the PS4 didn't also have an ARM chip in it in 2013.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The thing Sony is most likely worried about is that if they went all-in on PS5 exclusives for the holiday season and they delay the consoles, they don't have new PS4 releases ready to draw in new late-cycle buyers. That could be devastating for sales.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Another reason why I don't see consoles being delayed unless there's catastrophic harm done to the manufacturing and distribution chains is that neither Sony or Microsoft are going to want to let their competitor get a several month head start on them in sales. If one of these companies blinks and announces a delay, that's a huge opportunity for the other if they're able to take advantage of it.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Is that what they tell their investors?
If you don't get it I don't know what to say to you... but lets try this.

Say you are an investor, what would you prefer to hear.

1. We have sold 20M consoles in 2020. However, profits are down from $20B in 2019 to $15B... or
  2. We have sold only 3M consoles in 2020. However, profits are up from $20B in 2019 to $30B.
Do try and remember that they make lite to nothing from selling actual hardware. There is a reason Stadia exists, or even MS is pivoting towards a console-free future.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If you don't get it I don't know what to say to you... but lets try this.

Say you are an investor, what would you prefer to hear.

1. We have sold 20M consoles in 2020. However, profits are down from $20B in 2019 to $15B... or
  2. We have sold only 3M consoles in 2020. However, profits are up from $20B in 2019 to $30B.
Do try and remember that they make lite to nothing from selling actual hardware. There is a reason Stadia exists, or even MS is pivoting towards a console-free future.

You didn't answer my question. When Sony makes their forward-looking sales forecasts, giving investors the criteria to judge their performance on, do they say "We want to sell 1M PS4s in all of 2020"?

And you could drop the condescension.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The thing Sony is most likely worried about is that if they went all-in on PS5 exclusives for the holiday season and they delay the consoles, they don't have new PS4 releases ready to draw in new late-cycle buyers. That could be devastating for sales.

I think if Sony was concerned about not being able to deliver the PS5 in 2020, they wouldn't have just announced that GoT was coming in June. They'd have pushed it back a quarter.

That said, I do agree that they're not doing all they can to draw in new late-cycle buyers. I'm sure they'll do marketing deals and bundles with LEGO Star Wars and Crash 4 and whatnot but I'm surprised they don't seem to have any of their own all-ages IP in the pipeline. I'm also surprised that the MSRP is still $299, and has been for three and a half years now. I've been anticipating a cut-cost model for a while but it hasn't shown up yet.

Another reason why I don't see consoles being delayed unless there's catastrophic harm done to the manufacturing and distribution chains is that neither Sony or Microsoft are going to want to let their competitor get a several month head start on them in sales. If one of these companies blinks and announces a delay, that's a huge opportunity for the other if they're able to take advantage of it.

Yup. 100%.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Brad Sams said they were possibly aiming for September, but a September release makes sense for a lot of reasons
1. You probably launch a month or two before Sony
2. Halo has traditionally launched in September
3. You get a launch lineup of Halo/Forza/Cyberpunk + more
Halo hasn't launched in September in 10 years.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
You didn't answer my question. When Sony makes their forward-looking sales forecasts, giving investors the criteria to judge their performance on, do they say "We want to sell 1M PS4s in all of 2020"?

And you could drop the condescension.
I am being condescending with you because you have a strange way of making arguments. You would butcher what a poster says and take a single line or two from what he has said and use that as the basis of your argument while ignoring the context within which the poster made that line you have chosen to focus on.

Idk if this answers your question, but I will make it simple.

• Profits, not console sales is more important. Having one (console sales) just makes having the other (profits from selling games/PS+ subscriptions) easier.
  • if sony are talking to their investors about any forecasts, the investors would be fine with anything that says they are making more money this year than they did the last year and that they are going to make more money next year than they did this year.
Having said that, the pint I was making still stands. Sony/MS wouldn't care (and neither would their investors) if they sold only 1M consoles but somehow were able to double their profits from the previous year from selling games and services.

They obviously are not going to be telling their investors or planning to sell only 1M consoles in all of 2020. That's just silly, but it goes to show how you have this weird way of arguing your point. Obviously that is just an example, made to show that whats more important is profits (which come from selling games and services) and not actually selling hardware. Especially at the tail-end of a console's life.

Its a point made to say, selling hardware is great, but selling software is more important. I'll put it this way (again). Sony would rather sell 40M copies of first-party $60 games in 2020, than sell 20M consoles in 2020 at $150/console. One of those literally gives them around $1.6B in profits. The other at least a $400M loss.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Why is it when discussing one thing people need to say

"but playstation/Xbox had X feature too.."

it's literally not a war here
Not about it being a war... its about stupid sensationalist article/opinion pieces like most complex SOC ever and then citing something that was on in console SOCs from 2013. Stupid.

Make no mistake, right now the XSX would be having the most complex console SOC when released... (right along with the PS5) but it wouldn't be because of an ARM chip used to handle background tasks. Cause that's been done already in 2013. And stupid things like that have a way of spreading misinformation.

beta

Dec 31, 2019
Xbox Series X Features Most Complex SoC For Gaming Consoles Ever; Multiple CPU Clusters With ARM and x86 Cores – Rumor
"Eat monster for breakfast"

"XSX Custom Processor Block"
Most complex SOC for gaming Console
CPU cluster, Multiple Core in cluster ARM+X86, GFx engine, latest 7nm tech process (N7+), 10 IP +,
100+ engineer

twitter.com

blue nugroho on Twitter

“#booom #next_level #bleeding_edge "Eat monster for breakfast" "XSX Custom Processor Block" Most complex SOC for gaming Console CPU cluster, Multiple Core in cluster ARM+X86, GFx engine, latest 7nm tech process (N7+), 10 IP +, 100+ engineer 🦋😎😱😱👀”

Source: https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-x-most-complex-soc/

not sure if this is posted before.

The description doesn't sound like anything special all mainstream AMD CPUs these days already contain ARM chips. It sounds like its a multiple core ryzen with a gpu on 7nm form this description.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
The description doesn't sound like anything special all mainstream AMD CPUs these days already contain ARM chips. It sounds like its a multiple core ryzen with a gpu on 7nm form this description.

Do you have a source for amd having arm chips? Google search only reveals am old initiative on some server chips

Edit: PS4 I thought had a separate chip or at least enough of an arm chip to run the os

Last edited:

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
I have never quite understood this thing about console sales or rather; the focus on console sales.

The basic premise of consoles is to sell games. That's where their money comes from. Selling as much hardware as possible just makes said premise easier to accomplish.

Reading your post, or what some of the media focuses on (the decline in hardware sales) it would be easy to forget that the PS4 has sold over 106M consoles worldwide. Meaning it has at least 100M people to sell its games to.

I can assure you, sony wouldn't mind selling only 1M PS4s in all of 2020 if it also means that TLOU2, FF7r, GoT each sell over 10M copies.

And that's the other silly part of this argument. Een if next-gen comes this year, at best sony sells 4-5M PS5 consoles in 2020. The MAJORITY f their revenue will still be coming from that 100M+ preexisting PS4 install base.

I really don't get it.

I'm pretty sure people buy games when they buy consoles. New console owners are likely more active then those who have had their console for years. The beginning of this generation demonstrates this when despite a smaller user base PS4/X1 quickly captured a significant amount of software sales of cross gen games. Also software sales would continually go up each year if every single console sold was an active user. I mean in the end you say it yourself selling hardware makes it easier to sell games. Every console sold is a another potential PS+ subscription which is even more profitable than selling games. Also the goal is to sell third party games (that cost Sony nothing) which require hardware sales.

Having said all that I don't think hardware sales falling at the end of a generation is a problem. But a drop to 1 million sales that dramatically would ring alarm bells to investors and Sony even if they made a profit.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I am being condescending with you because you

Nope, gonna stop you there. You are in control of how you choose to behave on this forum, not me or anyone else. If you choose to be condescending, there is no "because me" there.

• if sony are talking to their investors about any forecasts, the investors would be fine with anything that says they are making more money this year than they did the last year and that they are going to make more money next year than they did this year.

Do you speak for all investors, here, in saying what "the investors would be fine with?"

Because I'm an investor, and I'd want more than just sunny forecasts for profits. I'd want to see to see concrete metrics for how the company intends to grow the business. That's a big part of why console vendors break out console sales in their reports to begin with: growing the install base is a positive indicator of future business growth.

That's just silly, but it goes to show how you have this weird way of arguing your point.

Literally all I've done is ask you questions about your claims. And I haven't even asked you to support your central claim, that Sony makes "little to no" profit selling a PS4 for $299 in 2020.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Or you overestimate polyphony ;) they can't manage dynamic wheater, proper destruction system(its available in other games so don't belive in license problem), fix ping pong physics on cars contact, op slipstream and most important working penalty system which is a joke in current state.
Ha. That's a good'un.

Gran Turismo 5 has full dynamics. It had procedural deformation but it was removed because gamers complained. Slipstream has been tweaked in Gran Turismo Sport a couple of times already (so can be at any time).

Ping-pong physics...yeah, they could do much better there for sure. Maybe Zen 2 can provide the oomph.

The penalty system is ongoing. At some stage it will be perfectly suitable.

Next-generation should have the grunt to fix supplementary issues but I doubt full high-precision ray-traced car, like that BMW on the Unity demo, will be a feature in-game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next-generation should have the grunt to fix supplementary issues but I doubt full high-precision ray-traced car, like that BMW on the Unity demo, will be a feature in-game.
I think we will. A 2080 does well with games that have RT reflections. And that's before stuff like vrs and checketboarding and whatnot to claw back performance

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because I'm an investor,

D45yrVPWkAAAYGm.jpg

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Don't feel like updating my computer again, I really fell out of PC gaming. I am now really interested in XSX given the specs and MS's increasing focus on first party software.

I am worried about PS5 as an old school PS fan :/

Dec 31, 2017
Brad Sams said they were possibly aiming for September, but a September release makes sense for a lot of reasons
1. You probably launch a month or two before Sony
2. Halo has traditionally launched in September
3. You get a launch lineup of Halo/Forza/Cyberpunk + more
That would be ballsy as fuck! I like it! No need to sell your system on Black Friday, it'll be full price anyway. And the early adopters will buy it no matter what time of the year it is. And launching on its own means it has all the spotlight. Really hope this happens (even though I do have a business trip right in September :(

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely, which is precisely why I found you throwing it around like it puts your opinion above that of others a bit amusing. That's all!

I only mentioned it because Pheonix was making a statement about what "the investors would be fine with," and I was questioning how they could speak for what all investors would want. I mentioned it because it was relevant: I, for one, would not be satisfied by what they described.

I wasn't trying to put my opinion above anyone else's. There are a lot of people here who are investors; there is even a thread on gaming-side specific to game industry investing.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Series X Features Most Complex SoC For Gaming Consoles Ever; Multiple CPU Clusters With ARM and x86 Cores – Rumor

CPU cluster, Multiple Core in cluster ARM+X86, GFx engine, latest 7nm tech process (N7+), 10 IP +,
100+ engineer

twitter.com

blue nugroho on Twitter

“#booom #next_level #bleeding_edge "Eat monster for breakfast" "XSX Custom Processor Block" Most complex SOC for gaming Console CPU cluster, Multiple Core in cluster ARM+X86, GFx engine, latest 7nm tech process (N7+), 10 IP +, 100+ engineer 🦋😎😱😱👀”

It hasn't been posted cause the source is misterxmedia levels of garbage. I have no idea how that guys Twitter account is still even allowed on here

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
So I'm betting all of you are wondering "where the hell was Transistor last night?" Well, I have a life you know... Occasionally... But I had some fun, slept great, and got myself a damn fine cup of coffee.

giphy.gif

So while the bacon's on the grill, let's do this! foxbeldin, PopcornMegaphone. Both of you come over here and have a seat. For the crimes of failing to guess the correct reveal date of the PlayStation 5, I hereby sentence you to the following avatars:

foxbeldin, you should always thank people when they give you things

8maX6cW.png

PopcornMegaphone, did you know they're still making Alvin and the Chipmunks movies? I sure as hell didn't!

FX4MjLb.png

Well, that's all for now. See ya'll tonight for some more fun! Until then, though:

978.gif

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
So I'm betting all of you are wondering "where the hell was Transistor last night?" Well, I have a life you know... Occasionally... But I had some fun, slept great, and got myself a damn fine cup of coffee.

giphy.gif

So while the bacon's on the grill, let's do this! foxbeldin, PopcornMegaphone. Both of you come over here and have a seat. For the crimes of failing to guess the correct reveal date of the PlayStation 5, I hereby sentence you to the following avatars:

foxbeldin, you should always thank people when they give you things

8maX6cW.png

PopcornMegaphone, did you know they're still making Alvin and the Chipmunks movies? I sure as hell didn't!

FX4MjLb.png

Well, that's all for now. See ya'll tonight for some more fun! Until then, though:

978.gif

I have to say your work is sometimes impressive, i'm not sure which is worse.
I just gave Mike Adkins a listen and i am leaning in his direction.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
gamingbolt.com

Xbox Series X’s Zen 2 CPU Will Double Its Performance Output – 3D Realms

3D Realms' Frederik Schreiber and Scott Miller expect to see

Not sure if already posted, but another developer talked about the XSX and its performance:

"We see that the [Xbox] Series X will have almost double the performance output, which will be a huge benefit for larger scale AAA games," they said. "And for smaller games, it will allow faster loading times, faster streaming, better AI, and, of course, 60 FPS and 4K much more often."

"For a game like Kingpin: Reloaded, which is not too demanding on your hardware, the SSD won't have much of an impact, except for the loading times," they said. "However, for larger scale, AAA titles, we're definitely expecting it to improve things drastically."

ForZoey

May 29, 2019
I love how "one of the most complex SoCs to support future gaming consoles" through the magic of Blueisviolet Translate becomes "Most complex SOC for gaming console".

But yeah, I think science has established that time moves forward and not backward so these consoles should be more advanced than their predecessors lol

Deto

Banned
Feb 13, 2018

100+ engineer

twitter.com

blue nugroho on Twitter

source: MisterXmedia 2

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Nope, gonna stop you there. You are in control of how you choose to behave on this forum, not me or anyone else. If you choose to be condescending, there is no "because me" there.

Do you speak for all investors, here, in saying what "the investors would be fine with?"

Because I'm an investor, and I'd want more than just sunny forecasts for profits. I'd want to see to see concrete metrics for how the company intends to grow the business. That's a big part of why console vendors break out console sales in their reports to begin with: growing the install base is a positive indicator of future business growth.

Literally all I've done is ask you questions about your claims. And I haven't even asked you to support your central claim, that Sony makes "little to no" profit selling a PS4 for $299 in 2020.
Was gonna get more sucked into this than I already am.. but I am just gonna back down. You win. All I wil say though is this.

Yes I am in control of how I behave, just like you. Ad if I chose to be a certain way to you, it because I feel how or what you have chosen to do warrants it.

Everything I have said and been saying has been to the tune of profits being more important than hardware sales. Especially when looking at a console in its end of life. I may have used some extreme examples (eg 1M consoles sold) to drive home that point, but I believe unless you are just trying to be really difficult, you would have known that. And about me generalizing, well that goes both ways. Because you are an investor and you won't be ok with it doesn't mean there aren' investors that would be ok with it. And again, unless you are just trying to be difficult, no one has said anything about there not being a clear path for growth. But i am just gonna leave that alone.

This all started cause you said something to the tune sony/ms needs to release new stuff cause sales of their current-gen Stuff has tanked. I am saying that's not the case as for sony already having an install base of over a 100M that they can sell games to this year is more important than releasing a new console this year. They can wait till next year for that if they chose to.

Anyways, I think we should just agree to disagree and not chase this any further.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Ha. That's a good'un.

Gran Turismo 5 has full dynamics. It had procedural deformation but it was removed because gamers complained. Slipstream has been tweaked in Gran Turismo Sport a couple of times already (so can be at any time).

Ping-pong physics...yeah, they could do much better there for sure. Maybe Zen 2 can provide the oomph.

The penalty system is ongoing. At some stage it will be perfectly suitable.

don't want to making ot about gt sport but pealty system is broken and after last patch even worse(not enough software development algorythm skills ?) and yes, slipstream can be easly fixed but polyphony doesn't listen to players and doesn't change it

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I don't think the consoles will be delayed. China seems to be getting back on its feet. I just think we'll see drastic shortages. If something really goes awry in the next month then maybe, but I really don't think so.

www.politico.com

Top U.S. health official: China’s situation is improving

Dr. Anthony Fauci says it is now a question of what happens when normal life resumes.
We will have heavy shortages even if the virus wasnt a thing.
either way foxconn already reopened and seems to be working at a fast pace, so I wouldnt worry about stock and productions.
My bigger worry is on launch titles possibly missing deadlines due to set backs from this, even if the developers start remote working, i fear that they will still operate slower than at the office. The result of that will likely be lack luster launch titles, unless if a console manufacturer does decide to delay the release to Q1 2021.

As things stand right now though, I am pretty sure both consoles will launch in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.