• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

And there ya' go, straight from the horses mouth.

_rogame has no idea what what was posted back in January (result from Dec people tried to say was PS5 earlier today).

Remains unknown and not Flute. The June result was Flute, and we knew about that long ago.

Next time please think twice before jumping on the _rogame bandwagon folks.

cc: VX1

I think there's value in what he digs up, just not in his analysis.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
hmm, just like next gen with that reddit leak and windows central, turns out it's easier getting next gen MS info, but for Sony the corporate ninjas are too good lol.

I should correct my previous comment- it wasn't cboat that was the insider it was "ntkrnl" IIRC. AFAIK he was a legit MS employee of some kind and was eventually found out and canned?

I know a lot of these big companies tighten town their ships anytime something gets leaked, but it's definitely strange that so far this time around there's not a whole lot aside from some public database mining and the translation of part codes. To be honest though I'd rather get slow dripped info from trusted journalists that have verified sources rather than ACTUAL insiders post their info blatantly, as that would put jobs at risk and stress companies even more.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We already have a taste of next gen gameplay

giphy.gif
there's nothing impressive about this game...

Oct 25, 2017
I can already see y'all expectations are out of wack for next gen. Every single next gen game isn't going to be mind boggling and look out of this world. Godfall is from a small studio on what is most likely a small budget trying to hit launch (and may be aiming for 4K/60fps).

That context matters. If this is like bare minimum for next gen, we're in for a wild ride.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I bet y'all thought I forgot about you tonight! Well, ya know what?

giphy.gif

anexanhume, elzeus, BlacknGoldBlood. Come get your fancy new avatars since ya'll guessed the wrong date!

anexanhume, enjoy this lovely smirk for the foreseeable future:

79v2ydf.png

elzeus, hope you're not on a diet!

YpKhHui.png

BlacknGoldBlood, someone left this under my desk. You can have it now.

jwu6sh3.png

That's it for tonight folks! Come back tomorrow night for the real fun!

source.gif

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My Colbert Twitter account is gone due people reported my account for "impersonation" of Stephen Colbert. I first thought it was suspended by Twitter themselves but they reported back to me it was due to reports even I put a disclaimer not being him into my profile and never posted about his show or anything. Don't know who got the idea that I was impersonating him lol.. Anyway, I had to start from scratch and selected a krogan to be my new inner self on twitter. As a Mass Effect fan a good fit for me ....

WrexTheNerd is me on Twitter now!
Wow, what the hell. Good to see Twitter perform thorough investigation into that complaint.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I... uh, what? I mean, how and why? Unless Sony bought the IP, I... uh.

ReMake2 likely convinced Konami there was value in resurrecting that horror franchise. They don't have the capability to make a AAA game, but Sony does- and the original members of the Silent Hill Team are Sony internal devs now. Konami gets their franchise rebooted by competent developers, sony gets more eyeballs on their next gen system.

Also...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-02-theres-another-silent-hill-movie-in-development

Sony does have a film studio that needs content.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on the same boat. This sort of thing is REALLY disappointing given the implied leap in CPU and GPU power.

It will take teams with hundreds upon hundreds of developers with big budgets and talent to get the most out of the CPU and GPU, so maybe you should keep your expectations in check because not every game will be looking as hot as Horizon 2, etc.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The cost of translating x86 and x86_64 into internal RISC representation must have hindered Intel from really getting into the mobile game, no?

It was almost certainly a factor. ARM found its niche with energy efficiency as an embedded CPU, starting out as a pretty standard RISC architecture. Intel tried any number of times to produce competitive designs but it's hard to add that kind of obsessive focus on simplicity after the fact.

Oct 25, 2017
I was not even slightly impressed with this. Like it's not bad looking but I feel like games like God of War are pretty damn close to this minus some raytracing reflections. I don't know, not bad for an early next gen title I guess but I was more blown away by the Hellblade 2 trailer.
You're actually showing why it is impressive. Consider the variables like team size, budget, launch period, technical goals, etc...

A small studio is able to produce a game that looks better than God of War. This is like bare minimum stuff with limitations being considered. That means it will only get more and more absurd as we go up the ladder and those constraints are lessened.

Games like Knack and Resogun weren't representative of the best from this gen, for example.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
It was almost certainly a factor. ARM found its niche with energy efficiency as an embedded CPU, starting out as a pretty standard RISC architecture. Intel tried any number of times to produce competitive designs but it's hard to add that kind of obsessive focus on simplicity after the fact.
That! I find it funny when people refer to ARM as the ISA optimized for low power, embedded devices, whereas it was designed for high performance from day one!

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
there's nothing impressive about this game...

It's literally a cross gen game with ray tracing. Nothing next gen about it.

I'll be pretty disappointed if both the PS5 and Series X don't run all cross gen games at native 4K/60fps with ray tracing. We'll really only see the super impressive stuff in the non-cross gen titles (which haven't been shown yet with the exception of Hellblade).

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I'll be pretty disappointed if both the PS5 and Series X don't run all cross gen games at native 4K/60fps with ray tracing. We'll really only see the super impressive stuff in the non-cross gen titles (which haven't been shown yet with the exception of Hellblade).

There's no ray tracing there btw. Someone on era point out it was just using normal SSR or a variant of it.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
User Warned: Trolling
Xbox Series X is the most powerful console more than PS5.

Coronavirus hits and delays the PS5 to 2021.

The coronavirus allows Sony to upgrade the PS5 for 2021 and be more powerful than Xbox Series X because those specs are locked in.

What if.. Coronavirus becomes the trojan horse for Sony.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox Series X is the most powerful console more than PS5.

Coronavirus hits and delays the PS5 to 2021.

The coronavirus allows Sony to upgrade the PS5 for 2021 and be more powerful than Xbox Series X because those specs are locked in.

What if.. Coronavirus becomes the trojan horse for Sony.

Neither console is going to change even with a delay.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
That! I find it funny when people refer to ARM as the ISA optimized for low power, embedded devices, whereas it was designed for high performance from day one!

Different design philosophies turn out to be optimal at different points in time for a series of different reasons. One of the keys to achieving high performance at the moment is making efficient use of power, because thermal constraints dominate many other considerations. There's very much a "right place, right time" story attached to most technology successes.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Different design philosophies turn out to be optimal at different points in time for a series of different reasons. One of the keys to achieving high performance at the moment is making efficient use of power, because thermal constraints dominate many other considerations. There's very much a "right place, right time" story attached to most technology successes.
I wonder how often do modern compilers emit predicated instructions for ARM32, say, on iPhone before ARMv8 came?

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I love how everyone expects PS5 to be hit by supply issues when there are two Xbox consoles coming out

Oct 27, 2017
I love how everyone expects PS5 to be hit by supply issues when there are two Xbox consoles coming out
That's true, but I think supply issues would be less of concern for MS. If someone wants to buy a Series X to play Halo and there are no consoles to purchase, they still have the potential to play it on a PC, or One X, or an S or a base Xbox One until they get there hands on a new console. Where if someone wants to play whatever PS5 launch exclusive is out and can't buy a console, then they just can't play it. So that's why I think it would hurt Sony more if they get constrained by supply issues. Because MS can still market Halo and anything else to 10 of millions of existing Xbox and PC owners.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Prepare to be disappointed. A lot.

Oct 27, 2017
Super fast ssd loading could allow for some real wild hallucination scenes in games like silent hill / dead space etc.

Stuff like some of the Mysterio scenes in Spider-Man: FFH but dialled even further. (& could obviously open the door for Mysterio himself in PS5 Spidey games etc)

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad the thread is taking a break from discussing GitHub.
Oh well, people started shitting on an old build of a cross-gen indie game launch title.
I'd rather go back to GitHub...

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad the thread is taking a break from discussing GitHub.
Oh well, people started shitting on an old build of a cross-gen indie game launch title.
I'd rather go back to GitHub...
Yeah. It feels like there's a lot less fun around speculation this time around.

Like people aren't mocking up the UI, or boxes.
Or having fun predicting crazy things.
It's just negativity or flop numbers.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a 'sunny side down' or is that just what Americans called fried eggs? And what's over easy?

I voted scrambled after having my life changed by Sir Ian Mckellan showing new how to make creamy eggs in a random Facebook video

Status
Not open for further replies.