• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
200.gif

Griever

Oct 27, 2017
If Odium is verified on here then I had to give some credence to his bird hints. We'll know soon enough. I'm not in a rush to know though, because I still have to wait for Holiday 2020...or early 2021 lol

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Isn't it easy for Sony to track down the source of the leak if this guy wears his studio logo as an avatar?

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Only speaking for myself here, but I can't wait for the faster drives. I'd give up TF any day of the week to get an even faster drive.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
wouldn't these specs be based on a devkit if this person is a game developer?

Would sony tell all companies developing games for the PS5 the retail specs?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Only speaking for myself here, but I can't wait for the faster drives. I'd give up TF any day of the week to get an even faster drive.

Even faster than what is currently rumored for next gen? What would you do with it? I'm guessing most games will be held back by the fact that the game might also have to run on PCs with slow hard disks or last gen consoles.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont devs spend a lot of time and manpower getting ready for e3? Might be a good thing for everyone in the end.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really wondering what plans MS / Sony have for storage.

- What does the base storage look like
- will there be higher SKUs? on launch?​
- would it be user-replaceable?​
- would there be first party/proprietary storage solutions?​
- what would pricing options look like?​
- How will external storage be supported?
- will there be minimum speed reqs if you want to play directly off an external?​
- Will they just encourage you to delete games and use streaming etc

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying extra for a 2TB system on launch tbh, I'm just going to end up getting additional storage anyway and I'm done with spinning drives. I'd probably end up spending a lot on some external ssd setup for better perf, so I'd rather just pay upfront and get more system storage.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't these specs be based on a devkit if this person is a game developer?

Would sony tell all companies developing games for the PS5 the retail specs?

Yes there base on a dev kit and he don't know the retail specs .
It should also be noted that there many different dev kit out if we go by another dev and this might not be the final one.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Providing additional info for the newest PS5 rumor ...

unknown.png

I hope someone explains me how BC will work with that setup.
Here what I see would need to happen for BC:
In order to have PS4 BC you would need to disable 3 single WGPs in one SE and disable the other SE completely.
In order to have PS4 Pro BC you would to need disable 3 single WGPs in both SEs.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Providing additional info for the newest PS5 rumor ...

unknown.png

I hope someone explains me how BC will work with that setup.
Here what I see would need to happen for BC:
In order to have PS4 BC you would need to disable 3 single WGPs in one SE and disable the other SE completely.
In order to have PS4 Pro BC you would to need disable 3 single WGPs in both SEs.

Question: why the fuck would Sony want BC with PS4 AND pro?? Shouldn't Pro BC be sufficient?

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just think most players don't realize that "load time" is an antiquated term and for most games you are always loading. Most games, especially open ended or open world games, you are streaming in data non stop. It's not just getting your initial boot and persistent data, but also just assets loading in non stop as you move from one zone to another. Streaming is nothing new, but it's now more prevalent than ever with open world design being as big as it is. And average asset size is getting much bigger, with many maps (and sometimes animations, if they aren't animated through shaders) needed per textured asset.

In my very humble opinion, fast drives are the real game changer for this generation. The faster we can get them, the better. Granted that at least some of this is going to seem subtle at first ("hey my game booted up faster than last gen...that's cool!") but under the hood it's going to be a huge enabler.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I just think most players don't realize that "load time" is an antiquated term and for most games you are always loading. Most games, especially open ended or open world games, you are streaming in data non stop. It's not just getting your initial boot and persistent data, but also just assets loading in non stop as you move from one zone to another. Streaming is nothing new, but it's now more prevalent than ever with open world design being as big as it is. And average asset size is getting much bigger, with many maps (and sometimes animations, if they aren't animated through shaders) needed per textured asset.

In my very humble opinion, fast drives are the real game changer for this generation. The faster we can get them, the better. Granted that at least some of this is going to seem subtle at first ("hey my game booted up faster than last gen...that's cool!") but under the hood it's going to be a huge enabler.

That is one of the reason i looking forward to up coming GDC talks .
To see what changes devs do to the engines that now that they have super fast SSD .

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

we already saw some early examples of this in action. I remember Sony showing that in Spider-Man, the players max speed is actually the max speed the game can handle, and then they showed the max speed of the new SSD and it allows for much, much faster movement through the game world.

edit: here it is

old news but it illustrates your point pretty well.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sony's spiderman demo where they stream the world at the speed of a jet was the most insane thing ive ever seen in my 3 decades of gaming.

the possibilities are endless and i do find it funny that some folks think this is about loading times.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Ohh ok sorry I don't play console. But I don't think Sony has detailed their BC solution?

What if they don't need to disable anything for BC? Just like current PC, they use the same arch so it should be do-able.

We are going by their BC patents which were in line with what they did on the Pro; Disabling CUs and lowering clock speeds to match legacy hardware.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Sony's spiderman demo where they stream the world at the speed of a jet was the most insane thing ive ever seen in my 3 decades of gaming.

the possibilities are endless and i do find it funny that some folks think this is about loading times.
Well it still is I'm presuming that in a game like Gran Turismo loading screens will basically be like a fade to black and back again and there you go the track is loaded in a couple of seconds. Maybe even quicker. That's a huge difference for even just that one game. It's going to be very cool indeed. For sure though the SSD will do a lot more than just that, presumably game fidelity for open world games is going to get ridiculous too since you can use far more of the RAM for immediate surroundings than you could before because more distant stuff had to be kept in memory whereas now the speed negates that.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
We are going by their BC patents which were in line with what they did on the Pro; Disabling CUs and lowering clock speeds to match legacy hardware.

Still it has gotten to point where people think it fact that they will do it that way on PS5.
There nothing to say Sony did not come up with a way they can just disable how many CU the want from full chip to get BC or some other way .

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020

The Spider-Man demo illustrates one of the biggest benefits beyond the data transfer.

Remember Spider-Man is almost entirely open world which means the SSD solution would have to have seek times that are crazy.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Well, for some reason my Pro sounds much louder than it normally does when playing the new COD Battle Royale mode. Can't wait to have a whisper quiet system to play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.