• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Last edited:

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the way does anyone else beside thuway wanna take a bet with me? ;-) I bet PS5 will bear the GitHub specs, and you may bet on anything else. If I lose I wear each of your avatar of choice for a week, If I win you each wear avatar chosen by me for a month. Sounds fun?

Sure, I'll bet it's higher.

In addition to avatar, why not under the table I'll buy you a PS5 if it's GitHub specs, you'll buy me one if it's not.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Off-site drama
Did you actually read what he and others have been posting about this thread? It's thinly-veiled hostility. Dunno why you're trying to signal boost him when he's made it clear on the other place he has no interest in further communication here.
Umm.. firstly. He just wrote on this very thread not so long ago.
Secondly, whatever he says about Era, does it change the fact as to whether what he posted was true or not? If it's truth, it deserves discussion. We entertain 36CU PS5's... but a dev says it's 56CU with tangible evidence justifying an ignored Github piece of evidence (36CU BC, we dont know total CU count on Oberon) and a 2Ghz clock that proves Klee right deserves to be discussed. Not sure why some here are trying hard to sideline this info... in favor of 36CU PS5. This information puts perspective to what testing Github data actually proves. No matter what, if what Odium says is true, it deserves discussion and exposure.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Secondly, whatever he says about Era, does it change the fact as to whether what he posted was true or not? If it's truth, it deserves discussion. We entertain 36CU PS5's... but a dev says it's 56CU with tangible evidence justifying an ignored Github piece of evidence (36CU BC, we dont know total CU count on Oberon) and a 2Ghz clock that proves Klee right deserves to be discussed. Not sure why some here are trying hard to sideline this info... in favor of 36CU PS5. This information puts perspective to what testing Github data actually proves. No matter what, if what Odium says is true, it deserves discussion and exposure.
who is Odium? and why can't whatever he said be discussed?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Why would it be disappointing? Look what companies like Guerilla, Polyphony, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch are able to do with the weak current gen consoles.

9.2TF will be amazing in these peoples hands.

I know I'm a little late to this post, but to reiterate what I've said other times in the previous OT's:

Since XOX launched, as a Pro owner, I've had to deal with plenty of third part games releasing with either scaled back graphics, or performance issues, or straight up no enhancements beyond the PS4 base version launched for Pro. If third parties simply don't care to push each hardware as far as they can go unless it's the fastest of the bunch (ie: how XBO and base PS4 were at the beginning of the gen) and leave issues on the table for whichever lags behind, then a 9.2tf - 12tf number is absolutely worrying to me.

When it comes down to "what can be done with that 2.8tf left over?" it could ABSOLUTELY be used to help soften the blow of a performance gulf. If next gen I am going to once again get great first party games (let's be honest they'll be amazing and I am grateful) but I know that my third party purchases are going to look or feel assy because they're being optimized around the 12tf competitor, I'm going to be frustrated and it's going to sour my experience as well as my opinions of the third parties.

**Note: PC/XSX not an option here for me from an ecosystem and budget perspective so let's not even go down that road.**

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It's discussed here.

wccftech.com

PlayStation 5 To Feature 11 TFLOPS GPU With 52 CUs, Clocked At 1743MHz - Rumor

A verified game developer recentrly posted a riddle on the NeoGAF forums regarding the PlayStation 5 specs, and some users think they have solved it

When was the last time that significant industry leaks were delivered to us in bird language?

The Assassin's Creed/Ubisoft plane story from way back is the furthest I'm willing to stretch my disbelief.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
oooh, a verified game developer, that must mean they have access to some of the most closely guarded sekrits in the industry

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
By the way does anyone else beside thuway wanna take a bet with me? ;-) I bet PS5 will bear the GitHub specs, and you may bet on anything else. If I lose I wear each of your avatar of choice for a week, If I win you each wear avatar chosen by me for a month. Sounds fun?

Roster:

You are going to lose, there's no way that those specs are the final PS5.

I'd bet as well, but I'm scheduled to get an avatar of shame later on tonight.

Last edited:

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
Fudged or not I'm going with xsex being 52 at 1800 and change since that's kinda in the middle of the 48CU and 56CU stuff floating around. If PS5 is near that, good.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
You seem to have misunderstood me, but I re-read what I posted and I thought it was pretty clear: He isn't interested in discussion here. You asked him to re-post here and I told you that he's not all that impressed with us. This isn't about the discussion of his information, this is about your attempt to draw him into the discussion. I wasn't sure if you knew about his apparent views towards our discussion or not and wanted to point it out.

So, lets back down a few steps. He's presented no tangible evidence for his claims because there are no receipts. I personally think 52CU is much more reasonable than 36CU and I stated that in response to you earlier. But posting a clever card only puts the spotlight on him, turning him into a celebrity and fueling more speculation. However, it ultimately gives us no objective facts.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
11TF < GPU (likely for both) + HW RT + Custom SSD + more-than-decent CPU

Fuck me next-gen's gonna be awesome

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
God I hope that rumor turns out to be true..

11.6 tf - 12tf RDNA2 .. paired with VRS, improved reconstruction techniques, experience with x86 platform and coding to the metal. Not to mention a proper CPU this time. I think people are not ready for the jump in quality that's coming our way...

Imagine what Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, 343, The Coalition could achieve with all of this..

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
would a dev even need to know granular details like CUs and clock speed?
I really don't think it's "granular" or weird at all, what do you think an engine developer (for example) would use to target some console's capabilities? Like do you think they just receive a PS5/XBX dev kit with a card that says "Good luck!" or what?

At any case, he's backing up a little bit on what he said on that riddle apparently.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Let me pretend you're serious for a second. The Teraflops formula has *2 in it not because it executes 2 instructions per cycle, instead it's due two FMA(Fused Multiply-Add), the ability to perform one multiplication and one addition in a single instruction.

Bingo. You could invent an imaginary "Fused Multiply, Add, and Subtract Zero" instruction and claim that you're doing three operations but of course you'd get no more work done so it's a pointless numbers game at that point. Or you could dedicate a bunch of additional hardware to actually do three operations under rare conditions but then your CUs are larger, and the utilization would be too low to justify this tradeoff. There are good reasons for the number to be two and stay there, as you already need different dedicated logic for multiplication and addition, and this is just an efficient way to use it.

Since we are on the topic of IPC, nowadays people refer to IPC as performance normalized to frequency, which is fine but not accurate.

It is accurate so long as you realize that what it really represents is Instructions retired per clock cycle and has nothing to do with how long it takes an instruction to execute.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
It is accurate so long as you realize that what it really represents is Instructions retired per clock cycle and has nothing to do with how long it takes an instruction to execute.
This one is usually bond to the context I guess. In the AMD patent filing I mentioned in my post, they give a IPC figure of 0.25, but I assume each SIMD pipeline in the GPU does commit one instruction every cycle? (A known exception is when RDNA runs in GCN mode, where at execution it splits one 64 wide SIMD instruction into two 32 wide ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.