• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I'm starrting to suspect that with this virus and a probable economic crisis, 399 would be the "right" price again

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think that would mean a delay for big first party games though. Makes more sense to release them when you actually have decent console sales as you don't need them at launch to drive numbers and launch games always need more time anyways.

I don't think ms would delay 1st party since their games are xb1 and PC, games as well. Also

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Short version is that PS4 GPU is is made up of 18 units. When Cerny & team were designing the Pro they wanted to keep it simple for the system to switch from a standard PS4 mode to an enhanced PS4 mode so games that weren't designed for the enhanced mode wouldn't do weird shit unintentionally. The solution they came up with was to just double the GPU setup from 18 units to 36. That way if you play a game that isn't designed for the enhanced mode, the system can just switch half of it off and as far as the game is concerned, its just running on a regular PS4.

I'm oversimplifying but thats the list of it. So now people are thinking about ideas for how the PS5 could work and one of the theories is that Cerny & team would have to continue to use 36 units but much faster than before, and either slow down to match the old speeds or switch off hand the units like before (this is what the GitHub leak suggests). Another common theory is that they will go up by another multiple of 18 and either have 54 or 72 units, and just switch off as many as they need to for the game to believe its just running on an older console.

I'm not attached to the 2ghz number tbh, I'm just throwing it out there because it came up as one of the Oberon test clocks. Not needing all parts to hit top speed could help yields but like I said, its just a number I threw out there because of the old tests.
This makes kinda sense
I have a question though.
Why do they need to disable or add 18CU each time?. Does this approach need to be a multiple of 18, for some reason or they can disable the number of CU they want, not just half of them or a third. So, for example, they could have 46 CU for ps5 mode and disable 10 for ps4 pro bc.

Oct 27, 2017
MS didn't give spec sheet or detailed info for XSX, just said 12 TF, so why on earth everyone assumes they've just 54-56 CUs on the die? Also is it assumed that tower form factor is going to provide better cooling solution while we don't know PS5's form factor?
I actually have a theory that the design of the XBSX might not guarantee its efficacy relative to the PS5, but instead could guarantee say an equivalent level of cooling, but at a lower audio profile. Thats not based on anything other than my gut and being able to market the box as being quiet despite its perf being a thing they can carry over from the 1X relative to the Pro.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Slides at the 2020 AMD Analyst show said consoles coming holiday 2020. Of course, this is the extent of my knowledge, this and Dr. Su's words.
Ah.
Probably because that's what sony and MS have stated. I wouldn't take it as anything other than AMD using info that's out there. Just as they're still using older VGChartz data for global console sales.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I expect sony to announce a delay

Makes no sence to launch a console with this virus shit going on
I think its too early to delay anything but if situation doesn't change in april we are likely to see delay.

But also i don't have a clue or knowledge about this so really anything can happen😁

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has been quiet overall for some time now. Ever since they announced they weren't going to e3 2019, it has seemed like less overall information or at least the way they tell us is less exciting.
The release is 8 months away lol, chill!

They haven't announced anything because the time isn't right yet; Sony seem to want to make a big splash but the situation with the virus has no doubt forced them to make changes. That said, third party publishers want to start announcing/showing off their titles so there will be external pressure on Sony to get the full reveal out; I very much doubt it'll be a July unveil like many are speculating

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When awesome looking games like Uncharted 4 + Lost Legacy, God of War, Spider-Man, The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, exist on 1.84Tflop hardware, I don't think there's much to worry about with a 8TF, 9.2TF or 12TF PS5 tbh.
Devs sacrificed a lot to get to those graphics though. Interactivity went down or stayed exactly the same in many franchises. Look at what far cry 2 was doing in 2008, fear in 2006, botw on the Wii u among many other examples.

9 tflops is great and all but you don't want devs to be handicapped by a gpu that can't keep up with the physics and other interactivity elements.

The 9 tflops amd cards have piss poor performance in 4k modes. And that's for current gen games that have little to no interactivity. Look at what happened when rockstar added fancy water simulation effects to the pc version. It killed many of the best gpus.

Mus1Ckk

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Can't believe some are still questioning PS5 RDNA 2 and are still citing GitHub.

For months now it has been right in front of us. Kleegamefan's descriptions of the game he saw running in real-time on a PS5 Navi-based dev kit in June 2019 show this:

A few more posts in the various threadmarks too.

this certainly has my interest peaked
so far this journey has been a wild one

Oct 27, 2017
This makes kinda sense
I have a question though.
Why do they need to disable or add 18CU each time?. Does this approach need to be a multiple of 18, for some reason or they can disable the number of CU they want, not just half of them or a third. So, for example, they could have 46 CU for ps5 mode and disable 10 for ps4 pro bc.

Again, short oversimplified version but there is nothing special about the number 18 itself (other than the original PS4 was 18CUs), its to do with how the GPUs work on an architectural level. It is a possibilty — but having multiples of the base is just the "easiest" option, and because it's a method they've used before, its easy for us look at it as a solution they could use again.

TBH though, its all just speculation and until Sony reveals exactly what they have, no-one can say with any certainty.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Can't believe some are still questioning PS5 RDNA 2 and are still citing GitHub.

For months now it has been right in front of us. Kleegamefan's descriptions of the game he saw running in real-time on a PS5 Navi-based dev kit in June 2019 show this:

A few more posts in the various threadmarks too.

RDNA 1 and the Github leak are Navi, so if a thing they would be consistent with what Klee said regarding using navi. I've got no comment on any other claims

Afro_DusT

Apr 11, 2018
If the PS5 really is only 9.2 TFlops then maybe Sony is just targeting cleaner looking current gen visuals at 4K 60?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Regarding the 3 SE speculation, I just don't think it's necessary or even likely.

In fact I don't expect to see a single RDNA(X) GPU from AMD with any more than 2x Shader Engines.

The RDNA whitepaper seems to be quite clear to me, that the intent is to achieve scalability through additional Shader Arrays + resources within the SE front end, e.g. Geometry Processor, Command Processor, ACEs etc etc.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the PS5 really is only 9.2 TFlops then maybe Sony is just targeting cleaner looking current gen visuals at 4K 60?

That would be the biggest flop of a console ever and a massive disappointment. The Xbox One X has essentially done this for the last 3 years.

We know enough about next gen and the PS5 to say that the goal is certainly not 'cleaner' current gen visuals, 9.2TF with a Zen2 CPU is way more than enough to achieve much better graphics than current gen at 4K 60fps.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Devs sacrificed a lot to get to those graphics though. Interactivity went down or stayed exactly the same in many franchises. Look at what far cry 2 was doing in 2008, fear in 2006, botw on the Wii u among many other examples.

9 tflops is great and all but you don't want devs to be handicapped by a gpu that can't keep up with the physics and other interactivity elements.

The 9 tflops amd cards have piss poor performance in 4k modes. And that's for current gen games that have little to no interactivity. Look at what happened when rockstar added fancy water simulation effects to the pc version. It killed many of the best gpus.

They will have a far more balanced and capable console this time though (next gen Navi GPU, desktop class Zen 2 CPU, more RAM, NVMe SSD) no crappy slow mobile Jaguar CPU, older 2013 GPU and limited RAM / bandwidth holding them back on things like A.I, physics and interactivity.

The limits of the new console will be vastly better than current hardware and with console optimization, plus things like checkerboard rendering, dynamic resolutions, VRS etc, will allow devs to squeeze more from the consoles GPU.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic but usually when there's a new Assassin's Creed game coming out that year they announce it around March.
Can't come soon enough!
Regarding the 3 SE speculation, I just don't think it's necessary or even likely.

In fact I don't expect to see a single RDNA(X) GPU from AMD with any more than 2x Shader Engines.

The RDNA whitepaper seems to be quite clear to me, that the intent is to achieve scalability through additional Shader Arrays + resources within the SE front end, e.g. Geometry Processor, Command Processor, ACEs etc etc.
Agreed!

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
RDNA 1 and the Github leak are Navi, so if a thing they would be consistent with what Klee said regarding using navi. I've got no comment on any other claims

It is the highly impressive and extensive Ray Tracing that Klee talks about that is the interesting thing. The dev kit the game he saw would be running on was the one that became available to third-party from April 2019 (he saw the game around June) so the dev kit must have had some form of RT hardware even that far back.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
It is the highly impressive and extensive Ray Tracing that Klee talks about that is the interesting thing. The dev kit the game he saw would be running on was the one that became available to third-party from April 2019 (he saw the game around June) so the dev kit must have had some form of RT hardware even that far back.

There aren't many people arguing that PS5 doesn't have RT at this point. I don't think anyone is actually saying that in the tread.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Again, short oversimplified version but there is nothing special about the number 18 itself (other than the original PS4 was 18CUs), its to do with how the GPUs work on an architectural level. It is a possibilty — but having multiples of the base is just the "easiest" option, and because it's a method they've used before, its easy for us look at it as a solution they could use again.

TBH though, its all just speculation and until Sony reveals exactly what they have, no-one can say with any certainty.
Oh, it makes sense. I just wonder if there's some restriction to use/disable for example, 2CU ,3CU or any number they see fit. With PS 5 in mind, so no need to stick with 36 or 54

I also wonder how much GPU % is freed if HW RT is used, instead of using traditional lighting methods still in use.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
I think it's kinda funny some people are worried they won't show teraflops at the PS5 reveal. If they have Horizon 2 and a demo of The Last of Us 2 running on the PS5 looking jaw-dropping then why would they need to? The entire point of the specs is pave the way for amazing games that inspire us. If anything, showing amazing looking games without tech numbers would still be better than all of the Xbox Series X reveals to date. In the end, it's all about the games. The specs are just there to serve them.

I remember back in the run up to GameCube and PS2 days we were endlessly debating specs, but once the amazing games showed up it made the debates seem really silly.

So all Sony has to do is show games that you believe will be better looking than what MS will show and its screw TF numbers? I agree with you at the end of the day its about games but this narrative about MS has no games BS needs to stop. No one has any idea what games they will show when they reveal. Just saying HZD2 and TLOU2 will look amazing doesn't mean whatever MS will shown will not be.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
There aren't many people arguing that PS5 doesn't have RT at this point. I don't think anyone is actually saying that in the tread.

There's quite a few that do hence why I brought up that even a year or more ago PS5 dev kits almost certainly had HW RT. What was confirmed at AMD's Financial day is that RT is RDNA 2 only and seemingly can't be bolted onto RDNA 1 (I thought that might be possible).

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
There's quite a few that do hence why I brought up that even a year or more ago PS5 dev kits almost certainly had HW RT. What was confirmed at AMD's Financial day is that RT is RDNA 2 only and seemingly can't be bolted onto RDNA 1 (I thought that might be possible).
I haven't seen a Sony has no RT post in 2OTs and they got a ban for it

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I find this extremely hard to believe, I'm guessing this must be a huge developer that they went to visit because I'm pretty much convinced the ray tracing is AMD powered ray tracing. If this was out in PlayStation Dev kits in April 2019 we would have heard about it from someone. Did klee actually say they saw the demo of ray tracing with their own eyes?

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
So all Sony has to do is show games that you believe will be better looking than what MS will show and its screw TF numbers? I agree with you at the end of the day its about games but this narrative about MS has no games BS needs to stop. No one has any idea what games they will show when they reveal. Just saying HZD2 and TLOU2 will look amazing doesn't mean whatever MS will shown will not be.
I do not believe that is where they are coming from, but it is evident that on the software front Microsoft was far far far behind the other two big players in the industry. Sony and Nintendo have a proven track record, this upcoming generation is a brand new attempt by Microsoft to lure in an audience who have played the best games available on other consoles for an entire generation and who have been locked into an entirely different eco system for an entire generation.

Breaking them out of that is going to be difficult no matter the power difference. If their console is priced competitively with Sony, while still holding a massive power superiority plus throw in one year of gamepass then maybe and only maybe could they entice people to jump ship.

The hardcore will buy whatever, the broader casual audience is much more price sensitive.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I didn't say MS has no games. I'm saying up to now we've not much, if any, display of games for Xbox Series X (Hellblade 2 trailer was shown but we're not really sure if that's representative of the game itself). Microsoft has been mostly focusing on talking about specs. My argument is that specs take a back seat as soon as awesome looking games show up, because that's what we're here for.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Starting to think Sony is going to wait until after Ghost is out on June 26th for their big reveal, expecting no hardware numbers as its 9 TF but they will talk about custom built hardware from AMD and the ssd's. Then focus on games, I'd guess around the first week of July, but they may show the console form factor and controller sooner

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
What do you mean by "at runtime" here? Would a restart of the process be required? Would a hardware reboot be required?
While running the application it's possible to execute a Pixel-Shader in Wave64 Mode, the next in Wave32 mode or running a Pixel Shader in Wave32 Mode in parallel with a Compute Shader in Wave64 mode.

A Workgroup (a bunch of Wavefronts, one Wavefront is 32 or 64 Threads large) can also be scheduled in WGP mode or CU mode (running on both Compute Units or just one).

These abilities doesn't require a system restart or a global presetting.

Under Linux it's possible to deactivate Compute Units as you want, it also should be possible for console vendors to change the Compute Unit number when running old titles.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Under Linux it's possible to deactivate Compute Units as you want, it also should be possible for console vendors to change the Compute Unit number when running old titles.
Do you know if they are power or clock-gated, or are they just ignored by the scheduler?

--------------------------------------

One thing to consider re: Sony is the lack of a super slim console. PS3 super slim was announced September 2012 and gave the console its price floor moving forward. We have no such announcement from Sony, and I have to wonder how much the $300 MSRP slim sales will crater once PS5 is fully unveiled. I can't see a super slim driving their announcement schedule, but it's something to consider.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I haven't seen a Sony has no RT post in 2OTs and they got a ban for it

Sorry I'm confusing myself now. I mean to say that many were saying PS5 was for sure RDNA 1 (GitHub) but what is clear now is that it can't be because RT is RDNA 2 only. I think (hope) I have this straight now.....

I find this extremely hard to believe, I'm guessing this must be a huge developer that they went to visit because I'm pretty much convinced the ray tracing is AMD powered ray tracing. If this was out in PlayStation Dev kits in April 2019 we would have heard about it from someone. Did klee actually say they saw the demo of ray tracing with their own eyes?

Just read Klee's game impressions in the Threadmarks of OT7 etc. The game clearly had advanced RT reflections through fog etc as well as otherwise extremely impressive graphics at 4K. I seriously doubt it was using any form of software solution from the descriptions.

Klee said it was a internal milestone video played from a USB but was told it ran in real-time on the current (at the time) PS5 dev kit with Navi-based hardware.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sorry I'm confusing myself now. I mean to say that many were saying PS5 was for sure RDNA 1 (GitHub) but what is clear now is that it can't be because RT is RDNA 2 only. I think (hope) I have this straight now.....

Just read Klee's game impressions in the Threadmarks of OT7 etc. The game clearly had advanced RT reflections through fog etc as well as otherwise extremely impressive graphics at 4K. I seriously doubt it was using any form of software solution from the descriptions.

Klee said it was a internal milestone video played from a USB but was told it ran in real-time on the current (at the time) PS5 dev kit with Navi-based hardware.

incredible to think there were Dev kits with hardware based AMDraytracing included out in the wild in the middle of last year, when multiple partners in the channel were pressuring AMD to disclose if next gen navi or AMD cards in general would have raytracing. Absolutely, no one on the planet leaked there was AMD hardware raytracing in PS5 Dev kits around this time or even up until now. Its an amazing accomplishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.