• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
can you provide the full quote or just the part you misquote multiple times in this thread?
www.resetera.com

Next gen PS5 and next Xbox launch speculation - Secret sauces spicing 2019

Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall. And, despite all the rumors about devkits being...

Have fun.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Jason Schreier did say they were both targeting over Stadia's TF number (not performance metric). So we can infer > 10.7TF (number).
He also said they were really close and above 2080 super performance.

So two who 'gave' us a number range.
On the first statement you are right, on the second you are wrong.

First paragraph of the link. It is RTX 2080. Not Super, not TI.

Jason Schreier recently said in a podcast that Both consoles are so equal in power and that both consoles' GPUs are more powerful than an Nvidia RTX 2080

gamingroute.com

Jason Schreier says the PS5 is more powerful than the RTX 2080 and will have around 10-12Teraflops of power - Gaming Route

Jason Schreier recently said in a podcast that Both consoles are so equal in power and that both consoles' GPUs are more powerful than an Nvidia RTX 2080

cc CROAT_56

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
For MS, I think a 9.2 TF machine at $400 is much scarier competition than a 12-13 TF Sony console at $500 (which is where I presume the XSX will be).
I would be more scary of more powerful console or even similar at the same prize (with more than twice user basis and noncrossgen exclusive day one) with all I have other to compete is 1080p capable machine for 300$ for 2020-2027

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...I still can't believe that MS ever publicly referred to territories as tier 2. That is such a huge marketing mistake that it still surprises me 7 years later. Even if objectively from a stock standpoint you need to launch in several stages and prioritise higher margin regions than others, its definitely not a thing you would phrase the way they did.

Who would ever respond well to you and your (likely underdog product) when you are referring to their county as "tier 2"? They should have just said something like second stage or second wave launches which are still accurate but obviously much less insulting.
Oh goodness, where did they say that?!

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Trolling.
Don't want to be a debbie downer, but we currently assume PS5 will have RDNA2 because AMD speaks of next gen consoles, the plural, using their latest tech, right?

What if they mean Lockhart and Series X? Was this possibility already discussed?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Don't want to be a debbie downer, but we currently assume PS5 will have RDNA2 because AMD speaks of next gen consoles, the plural, using their latest tech, right?

What if they mean Lockhart and Series X? Was this possibility already discussed?

Lockhart hasn't been officially revealed yet. It may never be, we don't know.

No. It's the consoles they actually put on their slides, PS5 and Series X.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

PS5 and Series X logos everywhere. No mention of an unannounced console.

also:

David Wang
SVP Engineering, Radeon Technologies Group

Ray tracing is an interesting technology for gaming, but adoption has been slow mostly for lack of content, lack of hardware, and the performance penalty.
So we have developed all new hardware accellerated raytracing architecture as part of RDNA 2. It is a common architecture used in the next generation game consoles. With that, you will greatly simplify the content development, so that developers can develop on one platform and quickly port it to another platform. This will help accelerate adoption.
We also support lower level API control so that developers can extract more performance from the underlying hardware. This will help mitigate the performance concern.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
if the aim Is to require the minimum developer effort then ideally only things like textures need to change. Model detail and world density could be the same as xsx which would require same cpu and SSD speed

it would require the same cpu and SSD minus what's needed to push those detailed assets the XSX is using.

Mass Nerder

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
I thought about this in the last OT but my version is:

Video presentation.
An empty stage. Just a mikestand and a mike. (2001-movie sound starting.)
A banner rolls down, it covers the entire backdrop. It is the new PS5 logo. (2001 music climaxes)

Guy walks on stage.

He is well dressed.

Suit almost same nuance as PS5 logo, not exactly same, but close.

He grabs the mike, looks into the camera and says:

-13TF

Mike drop. Makes a "thump"-sound.

Guy walks off stage.

New banner rolls over PS5-logo-banner.

It says "for the players".

Fin.

*ultra cringe*

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I think I got the theory. So what you're saying that an SE consists of 18 CUs then? What's an SE? So you can only turn off an entire SE and not not parts of it - is that what we're saying?
An SE stands for Shader Engine. It is something that has been part of AMD's graphic cards since GCN second gen. Here is the wikipedia entry:

" GCN 2nd generation introduced an entity called "Shader Engine" (SE). A Shader Engine comprises one geometry processor, up to 44 CUs (Hawaii chip), rasterizers, ROPs, and L1 cache."

The PS4 had one single SE with 18 CU running at 800Mhz, while the PS4 Pro had two shader engines with 36 CU running at 911Mhz. When the PS4 Pro was playing original PS4 games that had not received a enhanced patch it disabled one of the SE to emulate the actual hardware of the PS4 so that there wouldn't be any bugs or glitches.

For this generation (NAVI, instead of GCN) AMD is still using shader engines (SE) and at this point all of their graphic cards have either 1 SE or 2 SE, but there are rumors that some of the upcoming big Navi GPUs will have 4 SEs. At this point we are pretty sure that Arden is the Series X GPU and it uses 2 SE with 56 CU running at approximately 1.675 Mhz. For Sony the really old info on Ariel said it used 2 SE with 36 CU, and then the later backwards compatibility testing that was tied to PS5 also showed 2 SE with 36 CU at 800Mhz, 911Mhz, and 2.0 Ghz. This shows that the PS5 will probably use the same method of backwards compatibility, running 1 SE with 18 CU for PS4 games, running 2 SE with 36 CU for PS4 Pro games, and then maybe running 2 SE with 36 CU at 2.0 Ghz for games that have an engine that can take advantage, or maybe for PS5 games.

We don't have any idea if that is what the final chip is though because that leak did not show RT and VRS, while it did show those things for Arden (the XSX GPU). Now that we know PS5 also has RT and VRS it makes the Github leak look like it may have only been testing for BC because it is missing final details. The thought is then that maybe PS5 has 3 SE with 54 CU, and that the Github data only showed backwards compatibility testing.....

Edit: a word

Last edited:

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
It's more complicated than just this, but this 'middle spot' is a default choice for a lot of consumers. For example, if you have a product at a particular price you want most people to go for, it can be useful to frame it as the 'best value' choice by putting one lower price option one side of it, one higher priced option on the other. The middle one doesn't become 'squeezed', it becomes the 'safe compromise' for many.

The dynamics are subject to complicating factors, but that idea - offer 3, with the one in the middle as your preferred volume driver - is a common marketing tactic/framing to drive people toward a desired product option. 'The middle' isn't necessarily a squeezed middle at all, perhaps quite the opposite.
But I feel like if it's your competitors that you are stuck in between (vs your own product– say similar to the suggest of the iPhone 11 vs iPhone 11 Pro) you're not marketed as "the best" and not the "cheapest" an the overall brand image is "we're the best and cheapest place to play", it feels more like a squeeze vs trying to get people to land in the middle of your own product range.

Rubytux

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Hi all,

I am not sure if it has been spoken before yet, but can somebody tell me about the UHD Player capabilities of the PS5 ?

I know that almost 100% it will have that capability. But how about the remote to control your PS5's UHD Player ? Any hint about that ?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

I am not sure if it has been spoken before yet, but can somebody tell me about the UHD Player capabilities of the PS5 ?

I know that almost 100% it will have that capability. But how about the remote to control your PS5's UHD Player ? Any hint about that ?
No additional details that I am aware of, sorry :)

Colbert you pick April Fools Day as Lockhart reveal?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Well, negative 13TF would certainly be something.

These threads move too fast for me to ever catch up, but all this talk of 9.2TF is confusing. Wasnt there a verified Era insider who stated both new consoles are double digit TF? And are really close? Or have i missed a significant leak?

To try to sum it up:

Github leak which has been right with everything so far (in regards to Xbox/AMD lineup) and was confirmed to be 100% real which had PS4/PS4 Pro underclock modes but the leak wasn't completely detailed and missing things

and then you have insiders making other claims that Sony is higher but it can't be on that chip design because it's hitting thermal maximums... you'd need > 2 GHz clocks to hit it... you had jason say 10-12 TF and Klee say PS5 was higher than XSX but then you have the problem of the design... it can't hit that without crazy thermal management (more aggressive than X1X)... you also had another insider say they were within 15% which would be 10.2 -13.8 TF range

so that's why you have people fighting over it... as some people believe there's another design that exists which is possible but unlikely (R&D is hundreds of millions of $ and you'd have to engineer multiple consoles) and Sony burning an extra $300+ million just to be safe would be weird unless it's a PS5 / PS5 Pro arrangement but there's only been a couple rumors pointing at that and the price range for next gen would likely be weird... ($299 XSS @ 4-6 TF / $399 PS5 @ 8 TF? / $499 XSX @ 12 TF / $599 PS5 Pro @ 16 TF?) which would basically just end up being the PC industry in console form XD

it's an unstoppable force vs immovable object scenario

and sony being really quiet is not helping as we're not sure if they're worried and waiting until MS shows their complete hand or sony is higher and is waiting to pounce or sony is freaking out as they misread the market and trying to rush another design out which would be pretty difficult to do in short order.

it could be that neither MS or Sony really care about the other and Sony is intending to release a 9.2 TF console but has to wait as software isn't ready to show. Or maybe they do have a Pro on the way but they're waiting for final silicon before showing it off. Big Navi is coming along slowly, but XSX is a variant of it while the rumored 9.2 TF console is a variant of currently released Navi.

In reality nobody knows a damn thing for sure. I'd cautiously put my money on Github being correct but nobody can say with any certainty one is true or one is false because again... nobody knows a damn thing for sure outside of Sony.

The argument over the numbers isn't going to change a thing so people are arguing with each other just to feel good only to be vindicated or let down in the end. It's basically a stock market for feelings.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Why not, it would surely produce some chaos if it is real or not. Wouldn't it be fun to see the conversations until MS comes out to say: No fun, the thing is real. But I think the reveal is coming this month or early next month.
That sounds like a terrible idea to announce a product that people are not sure if it is real or not

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Why not, it would surely produce some chaos if it is real or not. Wouldn't it be fun to see the conversations until MS comes out to say: No fun, the thing is real? But I think the reveal is coming this month or early next month.
At this point, I am thinking that MS is awaiting the PS5 reveal to occur before they reveal Lockhart. ???

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018

All will he revealed eventually. There isn't confirmation one way or another so It doesn't make sense to have a belief about it.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I'm very amused by all the people in this thread who somehow believe that Microsoft don't have very precise figures around whether price-conscious gamers buy games on disc or digitally.

I'm even more amused by those who invoke the Xbox One SAD to back up their argument as if that wasn't a test run for Lockhart which Microsoft clearly thought worked out hence why they're pursuing this strategy in next gen.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Yeah, MS is terrified by the exact thing they centered their two SKU approach on.

Noone is saying that, obviously. MS built the best strategy they could for what they assumed Sony's plan was (another $399 mass market device that would be a lock to sell another hundred million).

But that doesn't mean they hope Sony launches at $399, it just means they expected Sony to launch at $399. If Sony wants to help them out by going with a more expensive machine, I doubt MS will complain.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
An SE stands for Shader Engine. It is something that has been part of AMD's graphic cards since GCN second gen. Here is the wikipedia entry:

" GCN 2nd generation introduced an entity called "Shader Engine" (SE). A Shader Engine comprises one geometry processor, up to 44 CUs (Hawaii chip), rasterizers, ROPs, and L1 cache."

The PS4 had one single SE with 18 CU running at 800Mhz, while the PS4 Pro had two shader engines with 36 CU running at 911Mhz. When the PS4 Pro was playing original PS4 games that had not received a enhanced patch it disabled one of the SE to emulate the actual hardware of the PS4 so that there wouldn't be any bugs or glitches.

For this generation (NAVI, instead of GCN) AMD is still using shader engines (SE) and at this point all of their graphic cards have either 1 SE or 2 SE, but there are rumors that some of the upcoming big Navi GPUs will have 4 SEs. At this point we are pretty sure that Arden is the Series X GPU and it uses 2 SE with 56 CU running at approximately 1.675 Mhz. For Sony the really old info on Ariel said it used 2 SE with 36 CU, and then the later backwards compatibility testing that was tied to PS5 also showed 2 SE with 36 CU at 800Mhz, 911Mhz, and 2.0 Ghz. This shows that the PS5 will probably use the same method of backwards compatibility, running 1 SE with 18 CU for PS4 games, running 2 SE with 36 CU for PS4 Pro games, and then maybe running 2 SE with 36 CU at 2.0 Ghz for games that have an engine that can take advantage, or maybe for PS5 games.

We don't have any idea if that is what the final chip is though because that leak did not show RT and VRS, while it did show those things for Arden (the XSX GPU). Now that we know PS5 also has RT and VRS it makes the Github leak look like it may have only been testing for BC because it is missing final details. The thought is then that maybe PS5 has 3 CU with 54 CU, and that the Github data only showed backwards compatibility testing.....

Awesome post. Thanks. So it's not possible that there are 28 CUs per SE here, and that some of the CUs were disabled? Are we saying that you can't disable a few of the CUs within a SE? I guess that's the case since the argument never mention this.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I expect the XSS to use binned Series X chips with lower clocks and disabled CUs. Increases yields on the series X.
I pretty much disagree with this. They won't save very much money by keeping the really large die and binning the parts. This would mean they still have to use large coolers, larger mainboard, larger case, etc.....Also if PPW really has increased on RDNA2 then 1.675 Mhz clocks on the GPU part is extremely conservative, and is going to mean they already have very high yields

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Awesome post. Thanks. So it's not possible that there are 28 CUs per SE here, and that some of the CUs were disabled? Are we saying that you can't disable a few of the CUs within a SE? I guess that's the case since the argument never mention this.
I think just due to the way Sony's backwards compatibility works they have chosen not to do that. I don't think that is impossible for the hardware though, but we have no examples of any AMD video card or APU doing this so far.........

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I do have a question now...

Will Lockhart have rt and vrs? It's supposed to be aiming for 1440p. There are gpus out that do that, on RDNA 1 tho.

Or are we looking at an RDNA 1 with RDNA 2 features?

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That sounds like a terrible idea to announce a product that people are not sure is real or not
It was a joke about the idea of chaos and mayhem (1st of April). Not a serious suggestion :)

At this point, I am thinking that MS is awaiting the PS5 reveal to occur before they reveal Lockhart. ???
I honestly have no insight in the marketing plan of Sony and MS is surely acting completely different to what we are used to from them.
All can happen these days.

HlVkG0D.png

I do have a question now...

Will Lockhart have rt and vrs? It's supposed to be aiming for 1440p?
I expect that to be the case for RT and VRS. Otherwise Lockhart wouldn't make sense at all. Aiming 1080p first 1440p if possible is my bet. I made a post about that: Link

Last edited:

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
surely after the reception of the Xbox one SAD they should know this is a bad idea. It can't cost much more to put in a disc drive.
Do we actually know the reception of the Xbox One SAD though? Since Microsoft doesn't release sales numbers anymore I don't know that we can tell if it bombed or was a huge success. Also I don't think you are going to figure that out from the attitude around here towards it. We are the enthusiasts, not really the SAD target audience....

gooner4life

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 day): platform warring
Sony are silent because they already know MS are beat. They will drop a 13.2tf console at $450, they have the better games, they have a huge install base, the next gen starts when they say so, they have the entire industry on strings.

If they were lower in power than Microsoft they would have been dropping news left right and centre to mitigate it and to try and cover the 12 tf news about XSX.

Lockheart will be released by MS to try and play catch up on Sony, and will fail again.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Sony are silent because they already know MS are beat. They will drop a 13.2tf console at $450, they have the better games, they have a huge install base, the next gen starts when they say so, they have the entire industry on strings.

If they were lower in power than Microsoft they would have been dropping news left right and centre to mitigate it and to try and cover the 12 tf news about XSX.

Lockheart will be released by MS to try and play catch up on Sony, and will fail again.

Lmao oh boy.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
www.resetera.com

(Figuring out how it works) Next Generation Console Preview Generation Nine in Three Quarters Black Boxes Wrapping it up ___ References I References II

great that's not the quote I'm talking about.

www.resetera.com

Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall. And, despite all the rumors about devkits being...

Have fun.

see above
You are consistently misquoting Jason in regards to his comments comparing RTX GPUs as multiple people have pointed out multiple times. He didn't say Super or TI he said 2080 which is 10tf as Colbert has kindly provided on a couple occasions so far.

On the first statement you are right, on the second you are wrong.

First paragraph of the link. It is RTX 2080. Not Super, not TI.

gamingroute.com

Jason Schreier says the PS5 is more powerful than the RTX 2080 and will have around 10-12Teraflops of power - Gaming Route

cc CROAT_56

Thank you for providing the link I was getting ready to grab that.

Funny you remember that but not that he said afterward that he has no idea what the specs are or how many teraflops there will be, but that he heard that everything is twice as powerful.

This too he was speculating on the podcast but people love to skip over those details.

Status
Not open for further replies.