• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
This amazing final PS4 year is probably the best PS5 marketing what Sony can do.

People got again a console with top 1st party games until the end of the gen and that will give them a lot of confidence for the PS5.

It worked out well for them last time.

I said this last week and caught a ban for days. Even thought it's basic knowledge. 🤣

Really? Oh shit, I've said that like 3 times today 😂 Maybe it was how you said it? I kind of feel like it should be common knowledge too.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
They are waiting for PS4 sales to hit around 120 million, so that they can finally use the prepared slide in their presentation, where they transition the 120 million number to a 12 for 12TF for PS5. LOL All the silence and waiting makes sense now! They want to get the final sales boost with this years blockbuster games!

It's like a Kickstarter, the TF rating of PS5 will be decided by how many tens of millions of units they have sold of PS4.

Currently we are on 10.4TF. They can increase the CU count once ps4 sells some more.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Much like the 9.2 rumours they're probably loving it. Since when they announce both aspects are better everyone will be impressed. The rumors are basically creating an "under promise/over deliver" scenario...and that's something money can't buy.
Agreed. The more people think 9.2, the better it gets for Sony when it reveals the PS5.

That is if its truly above 9.2.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
From what we understand about Sony's BC method that they used in the PS4 Pro and have patented they turn off an entire SE to achieve exact hardware matching. That is why people even found the Github info, because it had really weird clocks which matched the PS4 and the PS4 Pro exactly, as well as an unlocked 2.0 Ghz "native" mode. Due to that testing it is believed that they are using the same type of backwards compatibility in the PS5, where they will turn off one SE and leave just 18 CU for original PS4 compatibility (also lowering the clock speed to match PS4), and then for PS4 Pro compatibility they will not disable any CUs, but will just lower the clock speeds to match the PS4 Pro exactly. My guess is that the native mode is either for games which allow variable hardware and can take advantage natively, or else it is the main mode for PS5.

I think I got the theory. So what you're saying that an SE consists of 18 CUs then? What's an SE? So you can only turn off an entire SE and not not parts of it - is that what we're saying?

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
As a change from all the platform wars and negativity, here's some mind blowing comparisons. Before the launch of current gen consoles, devs were more or less expecting their GPU's to be equivalent to a GTX 680. The PS4 GPU turned out to be under that substantially, leading to Nvidia touting that the GTX 680 is twice as powerful with the XB1 faring even worse.

Fast forward to today, we have the XSX confirmed to be 12 RDNA2 TFlops which should put it around RTX 2080 Super, even better than the GTX 680 relative to the market of their times. If rumors from insiders are true that both are close, that would mean both consoles should be around RTX 2080 level at least. On top of that, we got an upper mid range CPU instead of crappy Jaguar cores and top of the line SSD's. The only aspect consoles will falter next gen relative to current gen in upgrades is RAM, but even 16GB seems adequate with the SSD's.

So instead of constantly arguing Github leaks and insider talk, let's appreciate the good stuff, yeah?
This is exactly true. We are getting a true generational leap this time, and it is very exciting!

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people that know about the 9.2 is a tiny fraction of the whole base, so I doubt Sony is thinking that way.
People might not know the number, but they've heard the rumors the PS5 is going to be weaker than the Series X. I've had it mentioned to me a few times by some friends that really don't dig into gaming news, but see headlines.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of people that know about the 9.2 is a tiny fraction of the whole base, so I doubt Sony is thinking that way.

Yeah, the majority don't know what the hell we're talking about. That leaves enthusiast who probably fall into 2 camps: People who are anticipating PS5 and don't believe 9.2 and People who aren't looking forward to PS5 who are looking for 9.2 for obvious reasons. Then there's the very tiny camp that is looking forward to PS5 but also believe it's 9.2 and that tiny camp will be the only ones who benefit from thinking it's low and it coming in high.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Do you think Cerny has read these threads?

giphy.gif

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Upset about what? You thought a post was saying something that it wasn't and answered it on the defensive. I basically told you to chill because you were barking up a non-existent tree and...here we are. There's nothing to be mad about lol. I think you took my saying "relax" as a term of aggression or something. Me, you and the other poster are all saying the same thing; Sony will likely dominate next gen.
And i already responded to him that i misread it and even forgot that i responded to him. Didn't even know what i said to him but okay... It's in the same quote that i responded to you about... So you not only telling me that i am defensive, and actually calling me a fanboy, and that i am purposely trying to misread the situation. To me is very weird and looks you are are upset about something.. You calling me names and misrepesnting my intentions is annoying and now you want to play innocence itself? come on!

I am done with this conversation because it's very boring. I have no idea why you, from the beginning, have been a bit passive agrassive to me.. But whatever

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
...I still can't believe that MS ever publicly referred to territories as tier 2. That is such a huge marketing mistake that it still surprises me 7 years later. Even if objectively from a stock standpoint you need to launch in several stages and prioritise higher margin regions than others, its definitely not a thing you would phrase the way they did.

Who would ever respond well to you and your (likely underdog product) when you are referring to their county as "tier 2"? They should have just said something like second stage or second wave launches which are still accurate but obviously much less insulting.
Yeah it's mad. Shoduk have been phase , or stage or wave as you say

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Because technically you could make the Vega run efficiently, but you had to do it in a specific way so it's not idling

that's why outside of IPC improvement, you'll see gains on top of it all. It's just not something you can measure easily because different games run better or worse depending on how well optimized it was

and this I don't know I totally missed it... I saw people on B3D talking about it but now looking at the thread again they may be mistaken. Perhaps there's no improvement afterall? I really don't want to watch over it all over again to confirm

edit: we do have improved IPC but no confirmed number as shown here https://images.anandtech.com/doci/15591/Navi2x_PPW.png

No this is confirmed but there is no number for the improvement.

Ashen one

Feb 20, 2020
Imagine PlayStation tweeting a simple "13"

I thought about this in the last OT but my version is:

Video presentation.
An empty stage. Just a mikestand and a mike. (2001-movie sound starting.)
A banner rolls down, it covers the entire backdrop. It is the new PS5 logo. (2001 music climaxes)

Guy walks on stage.

He is well dressed.

Suit almost same nuance as PS5 logo, not exactly same, but close.

He grabs the mike, looks into the camera and says:

-13TF

Mike drop. Makes a "thump"-sound.

Guy walks off stage.

New banner rolls over PS5-logo-banner.

It says "for the players".

Fin.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
And i already responded to him that i misread it and even forgot that i responded to him. Didn't even know what i said to him but okay... It's in the same quote that i responded to you about... So you not only telling me that i am defensive, and actually calling me a fanboy, and that i am purposely trying to misread the situation. To me is very weird and looks you are are upset about something.. You calling me names and misrepesnting my intentions is annoying and now you want to play innocence itself? come on!

I am done with this conversation because it's very boring. I have no idea why you, from the beginning, have been a bit passive agrassive to me.. But whatever

No, I was bringing it to your attention that you were reading the quote wrong unless you were trying to purposely misread the situation. At which point I told you to have a blast. But yes, let's be done.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Video presentation.
A banner rolls down, it covers the entire backdrop. It is the new PS5 logo. (2001 music climaxes)

Guy walks on stage.

He is well dressed.

-13TF

Guy walks off stage.

Fin.
* Someone shouts from the back.

"Is that RDNA ver 1.5 Flops or...."

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
As a change from all the platform wars and negativity, here's some mind blowing comparisons. Before the launch of current gen consoles, devs were more or less expecting their GPU's to be equivalent to a GTX 680. The PS4 GPU turned out to be under that substantially, leading to Nvidia touting that the GTX 680 is twice as powerful with the XB1 faring even worse.

Fast forward to today, we have the XSX confirmed to be 12 RDNA2 TFlops which should put it around RTX 2080 Super, even better than the GTX 680 relative to the market of their times. If rumors from insiders are true that both are close, that would mean both consoles should be around RTX 2080 level at least. On top of that, we got an upper mid range CPU instead of crappy Jaguar cores and top of the line SSD's. The only aspect consoles will falter next gen relative to current gen in upgrades is RAM, but even 16GB seems adequate with the SSD's.

So instead of constantly arguing Github leaks and insider talk, let's appreciate the good stuff, yeah?

Good point, but next gen consoles will be competing with Ampere, not Turing so we're yet to see what RTX 3080 will look like but I'll wager something close to 2080Ti or relatively equal.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
For MS, I think a 9.2 TF machine at $400 is much scarier competition than a 12-13 TF Sony console at $500 (which is where I presume the XSX will be).

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Worse CPU, worse GPU, less RAM... but don't worry about any of that, developers, because all you have to do is lower the resolution!

When you are quartering the resolution, you shrink the size of your assets - So you no longer need as much ram or cpu either.

I think the biggest potential Lockhart has is being sold as a secondary console to Playstation gamers, not just to "poor gamers". There's going to be a ton of enticing Xbox exclusives next-gen, and Playstation gamers can get access to them at a relatively cheap price with Lockhart and Game Pass.

Yeah I'm an xbox guy, but I'm seriously considering going Lockhart + PS5. Gamepass would cover me for Xbox Exclusives, and I'd still get to play all of Sony's too.

Closest current equivalent to XSX/Lockhart is the switch - docked is XSX, undocked is lockhart. Main difference is target resolution. For the switch, GPU clocks are changed so when undocked it uses less power. But CPU is the same - because you still need to be able to run the same engine, update the same elements, feed the same 3D models into the GPU etc.

IMO Lockhart would need identical or almost identical CPU and the main cost saving on the APU would be on the smaller GPU

The difference is the Switch is feeding the exact same assets and elements to the GPU regardless of mode. The Lockhart will have a substantially smaller load in this regard that's what allows the lesser CPU.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Video presentation.

Guy walks on stage.

He is well dressed.

-13TF

Guy walks off stage.

Fin.
the format is exactly like this lol

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For MS, I think a 9.2 TF machine at $400 is much scarier competition than a 12-13 TF Sony console at $500 (which is where I presume the XSX will be).

I agree which is why Lockhart exists. I have basically theorized that the reason Xbox has 2 SKUs is to guarantee two things 1. They'll have the clear best console in terms of specs 2. They'll have the cheapest console on the market.

I don't think 2 SKUs makes sense in any other way and all of the leaks we have gotten seems to seem this case to be likely.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

Video presentation.

Guy walks on stage.

He is well dressed.

-13TF

Guy walks off stage.

Fin.
Lol. Era will go down

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
* Someone shouts from the back.

"Is that RDNA ver 1.5 Flops or...."

"is it just a NVME ssd? i already have one in my pc and-"

EDIT: some more

"so just off the shelf PC parts right?"
"12tf? are you sure? Github said..."
"how do we know you're not lying, Mark? because MS tweeted 12tf which means they know they're more powerful, and..."

Last edited:

Ashen one

Feb 20, 2020
So for you techies - now when we know RDNA2 can handle higher clocks, what would be an estimated clock for PS5 that would need this advanced cooling and is still not insane?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So for you techies - now when we know RDNA2 can handle higher clocks, what would be an estimated clock for PS5 that would need this advanced cooling and is still not insane?

I would assume that 2GHZ is looking mighty fine right now. Able to push a bit higher without necessarily needing a wind tunnel ala Series X.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
-13TF

Well, negative 13TF would certainly be something.

These threads move too fast for me to ever catch up, but all this talk of 9.2TF is confusing. Wasnt there a verified Era insider who stated both new consoles are double digit TF? And are really close? Or have i missed a significant leak?

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Jason Schreier did say they were both targeting over Stadia's TF number (not performance metric). So we can infer > 10.7TF (number).
He also said they were really close and above 2080 super performance.

So two who 'gave' us a number range.

can you provide the full quote or just the part you misquote multiple times in this thread?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
When you are quartering the resolution, you shrink the size of your assets - So you no longer need as much ram or cpu either.

Yeah I'm an xbox guy, but I'm seriously considering going Lockhart + PS5. Gamepass would cover me for Xbox Exclusives, and I'd still get to play all of Sony's too.

The difference is the Switch is feeding the exact same assets and elements to the GPU regardless of mode. The Lockhart will have a substantially smaller load in this regard that's what allows the lesser CPU.

if the aim Is to require the minimum developer effort then ideally only things like textures need to change. Model detail and world density could be the same as xsx which would require same cpu and SSD speed

Status
Not open for further replies.