• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
no matter how hot MS comes out, or what mistakes sony makes with ps5 (don't read into this statement - its to make a point only), playstation is surely going to dominate worldwide next gen too.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I love that your analogy is PS3 levels of fucked. The console that went on to outsell 360 WW despite the higher launch price.
Exactly.

Folks that are pros in SalesEra will tell you it was always ahead in sales launch aligned... starting with a higher price.

The fact that a year head start gap didn't stay or help in the end says it all.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Lockhart is a way to get better yield on the Xbox platforms. So they can be cheaper than Sony who only has one platform.
I doubt it if it's that much power of a difference. Probably a chip that's ~2/3s the size from having half of the gpu cores or less.
There's a lot of savings to be made with 3/4 of the RAM (old rumour) significantly smaller APU, no optical disk, and maybe half the storage too.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
In the end...it depends on games though...and Sony has a MASSIVE lead in already loyal install base. Would be one thing to be behind and be in the middle. But Sony isn't playing catchup.

Honestly, Sony could stick a PS5 badge on a toaster and still probably come out on top of this next generation (if we take what Nintendo are doing to be out of the traditional generational divide). Xbox just isn't really a thing in too much of the world.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Good morning.

I understand you don't think Github is adequate, it can't be 36 CUs, so let's explore this.

I ask again, in good faith, what would be the config of the chip you expect?

Would you accept the BC modes to be still correct (800, 911, 2000 Mhz) - specially when looking at the HW BC Sony has a patent for?

Or do you think that the PS5 will have an Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) just like Xbox has which allows to do most of the BC stuff in software?

Depending on your answer and HW BC is still a thing for you, how do you think the chip is organized in SEs, SAs and CUs?

From the PS4 Pro and Github we know that for BC it has to be a multiple of 18 up to 36. So what is the number other than 36 CUs that you expect the PS5 chip has to be? Is it 54 active CUs organized in 3 SEs and 6 SAs?

I ask all this because it is really easy to say: Your (in this case my) prediction stinks without giving any information about the alternative. And with alternative I do not mean just a single number.

So what is the alternative, the not leaked chip, for PS5 in your opinion?

This to me is still the right question. I have said many times I don't think the PS5 will be 36CU/2GHz, but you have to be honest about what you think the alternative is. And I don't think there's a secret third chip out there.

What a dumb idea having no drive. Might as well be DOA. You can't try to appeal to low income consumers and then remove used games/game trades from the equation. Enthusiasts who don't need 4K and are all digital will be fine but a disc drive would have made this much better, even at $350. It's not like a UHD drive costs more than $25-$30
I agree 100%. Something I was saying too. So the only alternative to get a version with the disc drive is....get the premium Console.
Very valid argument. Why have an option for low income with resolution of 1080P gaming... then let it not have a disc drive and thus out of reach to them?

They can just put a disc drive on the shelf next to Lockhart for $50 for those who want it, it's not that hard.

I don't think it will work that way. Firstly the gap from 12tf to 4tf is too big. Secondly it would mean that if the yields for the XsX are very good that there will be a shortage of the XsS.

I'm very confident these will be two separate APUs. They won't be harvesting a 56CU chip to get a 20-24CU chip.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it certainly did the volume.It just didn't have the revenue from subscriptions , games or hardware that the competitors had.

The value proposition is considerably different 13 years later, they certainly wouldn't be able to make the mistakes they made this tie round.
I don't think $599 is a big deal in 2020

Not when you sit it next to all of the other electronics we buy and how expensive the newest and best is relative to what else is available.

The only thing it did not have was the subs but it had both the hardware and the games revenue after the bad few years.
Still $399 or $499 don't matter Sony will never be fucked lol
Sell less consoles yeah but they would be alright .

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they? This is exactly what MS want.

In an equal market it's a lot more cut and dry but MS is at a disadvantage as far as worldwide sales/appeal. Sony coming in at 9+ TF and $100 more expensive than a 4TF Lockhart and $100 cheaper than a 12TF XSX could easily swing it for Sony, especially when you factor in their momentum coming out of this gen.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
If the launch SKUs end up being

S - 300
PS5 - 400
X - 500

It would be a situation not really seen before at launch. Not easy to predict what will happen in truth, because it hasn't happened before.
We do know the market has proven there is a distinct audience for enthusiast grade hardware and then casual on the other end of the spectrum.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I mean, the Ghost trailer yesterday, at parts it was borderline CG (wehn viewed far enough from the screen) so I guess we're in for a treat next-gen.

The environments were impressive, but characters and their clothing weren't anywhere near the standard I expect from the next generation. There were a few moments where stiff clothing jumped out at me, and the lifeless stares evident in most scenes was disturbing. Let their eyes move to take in what they're looking at, and for gods' sake let them blink outside of specifically scripted moments!

I am very much looking forward to the game, but I expect next generation titles to blow it away. Only TLoU part 2 seems to be vying seriously for next-gen animations in a current generation title.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
In an equal market it's a lot more cut and dry but MS is at a disadvantage as far as worldwide sales/appeal. Sony coming in at 9+ TF and $100 more expensive than a 4TF Lockhart and $100 cheaper than a 12TF XSX could easily swing it for Sony, especially when you factor in their momentum coming out of this gen.

For some reason some people think MS and Sony have the same mind share out side of USA and UK where that far from the truth .
That will always be factor no matter what once don't don't get crazy like $300 more and worst lol.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
giphy.gif

Imagine The Order 1886 sequel with that kind of texture density. Yes I liked TO1886.

I find this artstation about the game and it is easy to forget how it is beautiful

dushyant.artstation.com

Airship - Rappel Sequence Lighting

In game renders from The Order 1886. Environment Modeling by James Rosenkranz Environment Texturing by Megan Parks

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Sony is perhaps potentially maybe in trouble in the 300 400 500 scenario

the middle almost always loses with separate competing products
They wouldn't be competitive on price OR power

On the contrary when I sold Apple products (admittedly in iPod and early iPad era) it was always the middle that sold the most and it was forecast to do so based on the literature Apple gave us too. Very few wanted to get the entry model ("too cold"), the majority aspired for the top end but was beyond their budget ("too hot") and settled for the one in the middle ("just right").

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

breaking news: PS5 to be PS3-tier levels of fucked

or

sales outlook is bright (ray traced?)

I don't see it. If lockhart is real, that means even less XSX to manufacture. Then there is the coronavirus that will affect the production of both PS5 and XSX.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
If the launch SKUs end up being

S - 300
PS5 - 400
X - 500

It would be a situation not really seen before at launch. Not easy to predict what will happen in truth, because it hasn't happened before.
We do know the market has proven there is a distinct audience for enthusiast grade hardware and then casual on the other end of the spectrum.

yeah it would be really crazy
Especially with all 3 likely having most of the same games

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
$300 Series S (lockheart). Hmmm. I like the idea of a Series S a lot, but the rumors of a 4TF gpu is something I dont like at all.

Why? Simply because the gap is too large. 12 TF down to 4 TF? that's a MASSIVE gap. I know the biggest demand for the 12 TF is 4K resolution and the 4TF can run, what... 1080p? 1440p? Just no. It will hold things back to a degree in more ways than just resolution.

The thought of the Series S having a 4 TF gpu and the One X having a 6 TF gpu doesn't sit well either. I know it's different architectures between the 2, RDNA2 will be way way more efficient than GCN, and the TF #s are all theoretical maximums that are never achieved, but still... give us some more umph in the Series S. I hope the rumors aren't true and the eventual Series S has at least 6-8 TF.

If it is true, then the series s can be a great system for 1080p users and it would be better than a One X, but I hope it doesn't hold games back, because they will have to design games with the lowest common denominator in mind. and im not buying it that it'll only be a resolution diff.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Papermaster in the AMD Analyst Q&A 3:11:45, when asked about why there is no mention of 7nm+

The clarification is in fact nomenclature, as you said.

We work very closely with TSMC and you see how their public roadmap of 7nm evolved, there was at one time a 7nm+, and what is often happened, is these new, full node changes like 7nm, what happens is that some of the enhancements actually get folded in the base roadmap. So 7nm actually has encompassed in that nomenclature, several different grades of its development, so we matched up with TSMC nomenclature.

Locuza anexanhume

So sounds like 7nm+ is a real possibility.

Here is the link for slides and webcast if anyone wants it:

ir.amd.com

IR Calendar

View AMD’s past and upcoming events.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
$300 Series S (lockheart). Hmmm. I like the idea of a Series S a lot, but the rumors of a 4TF gpu is something I dont like at all.

Why? Simply because the gap is too large. 12 TF down to 4 TF? that's a MASSIVE gap. I know the biggest demand for the 12 TF is 4K resolution and the 4TF can run, what... 1080p? 1440p? Just no. It will hold things back to a degree in more ways than just resolution.

The thought of the Series S having a 4 TF gpu and the One X having a 6 TF gpu doesn't sit well either. I know it's different architectures between the 2, RDNA2 will be way way more efficient than GCN, and the TF #s are all theoretical maximums that are never achieved, but still... give us some more umph in the Series S. I hope the rumors aren't true and the eventual Series S has at least 6-8 TF.

If it is true, then the series s can be a great system for 1080p users and it would be better than a One X, but I hope it doesn't hold games back, because they will have to design games with the lowest common denominator in mind. and im not buying it that it'll only be a resolution diff.
Graphics can always be downgraded, hitting fps mark is the real battle. As long as the cpu is equal, it will be fine.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Origin Zero is now a video game project (formerly a web series). guess by "next gen", the PS5/Series X might be targeted

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
yBEXWFA.png

So we can see there are different aspects making up the RDNA 2.0 perf/watt gains.

1 - u-arch change - unknown changes aside from adding in fixed function hardware units
2 - logic enhancement - REDUCED SWITCHING POWER AND COMPLEXITY This is huge for thermals
3 - physical optimizations - higher density thus lower interconnect loss and capability for increased clocks?

all of this smells like 7nm+

OzPrime

Oct 29, 2017
If the info about Lockhart is true, I would pick one up for $299 easily...

...except the lack of a disc drive is a non-starter since it would eliminate about 60% of all my Xbox games from it. It's weird lauding BC with 4 generations, but only digital versions qualify for Lockhart.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
yBEXWFA.png

So we can see there are different aspects making up the RDNA 2.0 perf/watt gains.

1 - u-arch change - unknown changes aside from adding in fixed function hardware units
2 - logic enhancement - REDUCED SWITCHING POWER AND COMPLEXITY This is huge for thermals
3 - physical optimizations - higher density thus lower interconnect loss and capability for increased clocks?

I think they applied a bunch of their Vega APU secret sauce savings to Navi. They got Vega power way down without changing nodes (still N7/N7P).

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
yBEXWFA.png

No proper Y axis makes this kind of a silly chart.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it. If lockhart is real, that means even less XSX to manufacture. Then there is the coronavirus that will affect the production of both PS5 and XSX.
there wont be a shortage due to coronavirus due to the chinese forcing the uyghurs into working at factories for apple, sony, ms and nintendo.

check out the thread stickied in off topic.

I don't expect shortages. Lisa Su said that they are close to full production now and expect to be back up to 100% in the upcoming weeks.

Origin Zero is now a video game project (formerly a web series). guess by "next gen", the PS5/Series X might be targeted

Great find

Bazz Bazz

Feb 5, 2020
No, but that generation rarely subs to all those services, and often shares logins with family, so they're not necessarily the ones paying. Hence why they'd care about getting games as cheap as they can
Sony is perhaps potentially maybe in trouble in the 300 400 500 scenario

the middle almost always loses with separate competing products
They wouldn't be competitive on price OR power

(and I mean PS3 levels of in trouble at launch not Wii U levels of fucked or anything insane like that)

the Xbox would easily sell the most consoles in the first year...in the US
Anything could happen after that

I just wish Sony would end this speculation bullshit

Without disc drive, it's still a niche. Only for big cities (high-speed Internet + no limit) and only people who wants 100% digital games (higher price + can't trade/resell) + ready to say good bye to your old previous games.

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
My DOA comment is probably too dramatic and I'm usually wrong about these things but used games/trading games/gifting games through family is a big deal for price sensitive consumers. So yes, I think a $300 discless model would do ok but I do think it would miss out on a substantial part of the market.

i just really hope LH doesn't come out. I'd rather they launch XSX for $500 and work it down in price over time like they've always done, sadly that won't happen since it's got "series" in the name
👍🏾

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
If the info about Lockhart is true, I would pick one up for $299 easily...

...except the lack of a disc drive is a non-starter since it would eliminate about 60% of all my Xbox games from it. It's weird lauding BC with 4 generations, but only digital versions qualify for Lockhart.

They need to revive that program idea of trading in physical games for a digital license. Not saying that would necessarily work for everyone (i.e. the old Unabomber off the grid or foreign military base examples), but could help some. I would certainly like to do that for a few discs I have.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no matter how hot MS comes out, or what mistakes sony makes with ps5 (don't read into this statement - its to make a point only), playstation is surely going to dominate worldwide next gen too.
I don't know what the point is you are trying to make? You think Sony will not dominate when they sell a 499,95 system? Personally i think they are in a better position to sell at that price Worldwide..

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They need to revive that program idea of trading in physical games for a digital license. Not saying that would necessarily work for everyone (i.e. the old Unabomber off the grid or foreign military base examples), but could help some. I would certainly like to do that for a few discs I have.

How are they going to achieve that, when the games retailers are on the rocks already.
Oh hi; would you like to participate in this scheme that removes the stock you buy and sell from the marketplace?
Oh yes, you would? Sign in blood on the dotted line

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
David -

Ray tracing is an interesting technology for gaming, but adoption has been slow mostly for lack of content, lack of hardware, and the performance penalty.
So we have developed all new hardware accellerated raytracing architecture as part of RDNA 2. It is a common architecture used in the next generation game consoles. With that, you will greatly simplify the content development, so that developers can develop on one platform and quickly port it to another platform. This will help accelerate adoption.
We also support lower level API control so that developers can extract more performance from the underlying hardware. This will help mitigate the performance concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.