• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I am not speaking to the legitimacy of this, but I don't recall seeing this on here.

$300 would be the right price for Lockhart / Series S, as any higher than that would make it a terrible value, if PS5/XSX are $500.

However, if Sony manages to sell PS5 at $400, then Series X is going to look bad even at $300. I don't think PS5 will be $400 though, I think it'll be $500.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Lockhart is a way to get better yield on the Xbox platforms. So they can be cheaper than Sony who only has one platform.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Woah.
I know that usually games assets are being developed at a significantly higher resolution than what the player ends up seeing, does this increased texel density also effect current gen games if patched to utilize this higher density?
NO wonder they are going for 100 GB discs

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Dev friend says it's about 20x the average pixel density he's worked with.
giphy.gif

Imagine The Order 1886 sequel with that kind of texture density. Yes I liked TO1886.

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be a fun day when you guys find out ps5 AND XSX are within a TF of each other and all this arguing and evangelizing Github was dumb
This. The best bet is that they are nearly identical in terms of power if both are targeting $499.99 as a price point.

If PS5 is targeting $399.99, then the 9.2 TF figure could be true.

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
Wait, you think Sony are shook of Microsoft releasing their specs? So they want to take their time to sell us the PS5 with 9.2 TF?

Not at all. The most likely case to me is they just have other stuff they are working on and there is no need for them to say anything. I was more countering the idea that if MS felt weaker, they would go first. I think thats BS and they would only go first if they were very confident. That says NOTHING about Sony. MS can be confident and Sony can have the same or better specs. MS seemed confident in 2013 at $100 more and terrible messaging.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Woah.
I know that usually games assets are being developed at a significantly higher resolution than what the player ends up seeing, does this increased texel density also effect current gen games if patched to utilize this higher density?

A pure code patch could swap out lower res assets for higher res ones that already exist, if their streaming system is already well tuned to take advantage of the higher IO bandwidth here. But otherwise, it might require new assets and/or streaming plumbing to reach the highest heights possible in that regard... which would probably be less likely.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
how are people getting the series x 500 PS5 400 stuff but not that the gpu is nearly 3tf apart as that's the only way we get that kind of price difference surely ?

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
Do you remember what happened in 2013?

- PS4 revealed in February, specs (no price)
- XBox One revealed in May, specs (no price, weaker machine, TV TV TV, Sports Sports messaging)
- Xbox reveals price at E3 first, $499
- PS4 reveals price afterwards $399

So... Xbox controlled their messaging going 3 months after Sony? Priced better when announcing first?
None of the above.

What "repeat" are you talking about?

You just litterally laid out the scenario of what they are trying to avoid a repeat of. Once again, this says noting about how good or bad Sony's situation is. Only that microsoft THINKS it has a good plan. Of course, they thought they had a good plan last time. That does not mean its right.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Maybe Lockhart is a way to get better yield on the Xbox platforms. So they can be cheaper than Sony who only has one platform.

I don't think it will work that way. Firstly the gap from 12tf to 4tf is too big. Secondly it would mean that if the yields for the XsX are very good that there will be a shortage of the XsS.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
That isn't the most reliable source but Sony would kill in that scenario.
I think if the Series X is the most powerful of the 3 and Lockhart is the cheapest, it puts PS5 in a tight spot… "Xbox" is the cheapest/most powerful place to play next gen games. If they're sandwiched by Xboxes I could see it being trouble for them with some clever marketing from Microsoft.

But if PS5 and Series X are both on level footing with power and the same price, then they're alright.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think digital purchasing is a foreign concept to a generation who gets every other form of entertainment digitally? Netflix? Spotify? Apps? Etc etc
No, but that generation rarely subs to all those services, and often shares logins with family, so they're not necessarily the ones paying. Hence why they'd care about getting games as cheap as they can

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Sony is perhaps potentially maybe in trouble in the 300 400 500 scenario

the middle almost always loses with separate competing products
They wouldn't be competitive on price OR power

(and I mean PS3 levels of in trouble at launch not Wii U levels of fucked or anything insane like that)

the Xbox would easily sell the most consoles in the first year...in the US
Anything could happen after that

I just wish Sony would end this speculation bullshit

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I think if the Series X is the most powerful of the 3 and Lockhart is the cheapest, it puts PS5 in a tight spot… "Xbox" is the cheapest/most powerful place to play next gen games. If they're sandwiched by Xboxes I could see it being trouble for them with some clever marketing from Microsoft.

But if PS5 and Series X are both on level footing with power and the same price, then they're alright.

I think it would depend on the power difference between the 3. If PS5 is within 2TF of XSX (meaning at least 6 more TF than XS) but for just $100 off of either of MS offerings thing can get sticky fast for MS. Especially with Sony's momentum and worldwide brand appeal.

Oct 27, 2017
??? So not having a disc drive is bad for low income consumers, which in turn make this machine dead on arrival? People of all incomes will buy both products based their individual situations and desires.
My DOA comment is probably too dramatic and I'm usually wrong about these things but used games/trading games/gifting games through family is a big deal for price sensitive consumers. So yes, I think a $300 discless model would do ok but I do think it would miss out on a substantial part of the market.

i just really hope LH doesn't come out. I'd rather they launch XSX for $500 and work it down in price over time like they've always done, sadly that won't happen since it's got "series" in the name

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I don't think it will work that way. Firstly the gap from 12tf to 4tf is too big. Secondly it would mean that if the yields for the XsX are very good that there will be a shortage of the XsS.

If anyone is getting better prices from amd it's prob Sony. They did move more then 100 percent of amd hardware then xbox

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

It's more complicated than just this, but this 'middle spot' is a default choice for a lot of consumers. For example, if you have a product at a particular price you want most people to go for, it can be useful to frame it as the 'best value' choice by putting one lower price option one side of it, one higher priced option on the other. The middle one doesn't become 'squeezed', it becomes the 'safe compromise' for many.

The dynamics are subject to complicating factors, but that idea - offer 3, with the one in the middle as your preferred volume driver - is a common marketing tactic/framing to drive people toward a desired product option. 'The middle' isn't necessarily a squeezed middle at all, perhaps quite the opposite.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is completely fucked in the 300 400 500 scenario

the middle always loses

sure they would still have great first party games but people who only play a few third party games and people who grew up with 360s wouldn't even consider the PS5

(and I mean PS3 levels of fucked not Wii U levels of fucked or anything insane like that)

wow take a breath dude. In no situation is Sony fucked. They are the market leader and people want to play games on their platform.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
That's simply not true.

ps4 was in between Xbox One and Wii U in price, PS4 slim is and was often in between PS4 Pro/X1X and $200 Xbox One S bundles this gen too.

PS4 was cheaper AND more powerful than Xbox and wasn't competing with the Wii U at all

the Xbox one s did outsell the PS4 in multiple holiday seasons when it was heavily discounted to $200

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019

the middle always loses

sure they would still have great first party games but people who only play a few third party games and people who grew up with 360s wouldn't even consider the PS5

(and I mean PS3 levels of fucked not Wii U levels of fucked or anything insane like that)

Sony wasn't "fucked" at $599. Breathe. They'll be just fine next gen. Ecosystem and BC assures you of that.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
?

I thought that was the highest selling single SKU over the holidays other than switch
And outside of holiday season?

The SAD selling well during the holidays doesn't mean it sold well overall.

the middle always loses

Uh...they would absolutely be competitive on price and power.

9 is a bigger number than 4. 10 and it's even worse.

IMO, the sandwich strategy doesn't help MS if LH is 4tf. 6, 7 or 8...maybe.

What absolutely helps MS is if the PS5 is 499.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

the middle always loses

Eeeee, not true at all. The 'goldilocks effect' is a thing. Companies have juiced the sales of products by just sandwiching them between a higher cost and lower cost option, with the right mix of contrasting appeals. It depends a lot on feature contrast - and this is where Sony and MS marketers will probably furiously iterate against each other on - but the middle can be a very good place to be.

e.g.

Companies can also use G-B-B to exploit the so-called Goldilocks effect: people's propensity to choose the middle option in a set of three. In his book Priceless, William Poundstone recounts how Williams-Sonoma reaped unexpected benefits after launching a fancy bread machine priced at $429. That high-end model flopped—but sales of the $279 model (previously the highest-priced unit) nearly doubled.

hbr.org

The Good-Better-Best Approach to Pricing

Companies often crimp profits by using discounts to attract price-sensitive customers and by failing to give high-end customers reasons to spend more. A multitiered offering can use a stripped-down product (the “Good” option) to attract new customers, the existing product (“Better”) to keep...

It's way more complicated than being 'sandwiched' - this isn't a literal battlefield!

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
giphy.gif

Imagine The Order 1886 sequel with that kind of texture density. Yes I liked TO1886.

Yeah, it's kinda mind-boggling. He said that assets for main characters and stuff are usually at twice the overall density, since they're the focus and often very close to the camera, but even a 10x increase in overall density would be a pretty massive jump in perceived detail.

the middle always loses

That's kinda the opposite of what we usually see in marketing. As long as the middle option isn't a massive compromise in relation to the top tier, it's almost invariably seen as the better bang-for-the-buck option.

I love that your analogy is PS3 levels of fucked. The console that went on to outsell 360 WW despite the higher launch price.

And launching a whole year later. With the vast majority of its catalog looking better on the other platform.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

the middle always loses

I love that your analogy is PS3 levels of fucked. The console that went on to outsell 360 WW despite the higher launch price.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

the middle always loses

i think sony would be in the best position in the sandwich scenario. assuming a 9tf machine (to get to 399 in the first place!), their games will look as good as the series x games to most consumers (arguably better in some cases because god damn sony have talented teams!) and only under the careful eye of direct comparisons, such as DF, would really differences be spotted. at 399$ i think ps5 would absolutely be seen as good enough where MS's power lead wouldnt matter much AND would pull sales from cash conscious consumers. $399 could be seen as the sweet spot for many

a much harder position to be in would be a 499 ps5 (12-13tf and especially 9tf) competing against a 299 series s. thats a VERY large price difference to over come, especially if series s demonstrates next gen gaming at 1080-1440p as *promised

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, it certainly did the volume.It just didn't have the revenue from subscriptions , games or hardware that the competitors had.

The value proposition is considerably different 13 years later, they certainly wouldn't be able to make the mistakes they made this tie round.
I don't think $599 is a big deal in 2020

Not when you sit it next to all of the other electronics we buy and how expensive the newest and best is relative to what else is available.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

breaking news: PS5 to be PS3-tier levels of fucked

or

sales outlook is bright (ray traced?)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

the middle always loses

Brand plays a big part in this and how they position things.

Sony has to Show/persuade/convince that the PS5 is worth the extra over the XSS. so XSS looks like poor value, and that it delivers an indistiinguishable experience compared to XSX that makes the XSX look overpriced.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017

the middle always loses

In the end...it depends on games though...and Sony has a MASSIVE lead in already loyal install base. Would be one thing to be behind and be in the middle. But Sony isn't playing catchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.