• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Anyone want to take on the responsibility of tracking it? Or do you think Transistor would be game?
Paging Transistor

What do you think of the suggestion below?
Nah a simple team github vs team klee would do.

if team klee loses and ps5 is 9.2 tflops then we wear whatever avatars they pick.
If team github loses and ps5 is double digits then they wear klee's avatar until Launch and write a poem as an apology to klee.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom warren and Jason said that both RAM and CPU are worse.

- $75 savings on the APU
- $30 savings RAM
- $20 savings from lack of vapor chamber cooling
- $30 savings from UHD

you are already up to $150. no disc drive means it will be a tiny console so they will save some money there.

CPU worse is because it doesn't need to be the same speed. You should assume that the CPU will be slightly slower however it will perform equivalent to XSX. The less support the GPU needs the slower the CPU required. They will not have a hamstrung CPU. It will perform the exact same as the XSX in usage.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I have to be honest, this makes zero sense. If you feel comfortable with your specs, you release them. If you don't feel comfortable with your specs, you take the time to "control the message", look for ways to mitigate the pure spec argument, think about the best way to spin. If I'm Sony I let my exclusives get as far along as possible and focus on games, not specs. "You can't play 12TF, but you can play GoW2!"

In this case I have no idea if PS5 is higher/lower/same spec wise, but logically it makes no sense for MS to go first if they are not very confident in their numbers. They do NOT want a repeat of 2013 with more price, less power, bad messaging.
Do you remember what happened in 2013?

- PS4 revealed in February, specs (no price)
- XBox One revealed in May, specs (no price, weaker machine, TV TV TV, Sports Sports messaging)
- Xbox reveals price at E3 first, $499
- PS4 reveals price afterwards $399

So... Xbox controlled their messaging going 3 months after Sony? Priced better when announcing first?
None of the above.

What "repeat" are you talking about?

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

- A9VG电玩部落

A9VG电玩部落,中国电玩及主机游戏行业的领先平台,致力于为玩家报道最新主机游戏独家资讯,PS4和Xbox One等主机电视游戏攻略,更有A9VG论坛为电玩主机游戏爱好者提供交流平台。
Yeah I know that's completely fake! :D

It's Final Fantasy XVI, Siren, Dynasty Warriors 9: Xtreme Legends, Dynasty Warriors 10, Tenchu 5, God of War Part 2, Yakuza 7 (which is already out for PS4), and Shachou Eiyuuden Remake (spelled with the wrong kanji character for "den").
Thanks a lot.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
For those who don't understand the texel density 4096/m it means, you can't do better textures resolution than this at 4k. The texture will be perfect for 4k. If you render at a higher resolution you will need higher resolution texture but not at 4k.

Last edited:

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Would bet #teamKlee but I already don't have an avatar to bet away. Overlapping avatar bets don't make sense, how about 1 week bans?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
www.psu.com

Martha Is Dead Dev Impressed By PS5's Previously Unannounced Texel Density - PlayStation Universe

The studio behind upcoming horror title Martha Is Dead has praised a number of PS5 features, including Texel density and its SSD. Get more details here.
Anyone have access to this?

PS5 will allow us to use an incredible Texel density, up to 4096px/m – that means the visual will be fully detailed also in higher resolutions. It's one of the most important advances in visual capacity that we were waiting for.

Ok well, I have to believe that the author misquoted the units, as 4096 px/m (pixels per minute) doesn't make sense. If I assume that should have been Megapixels per minute, then I can correlate it back to Github, which gives:

bilinear Texture per cycle:
2*4*Sum_all_SX_channel [ (SX_PERF_SEL_DB0_PIXELS + SX_PERF_SEL_DB1_PIXELS+SX_PERF_SEL_DB2_PIXELS +SX_PERF_SEL_DB0_PIXELS) / SX_PERF_SEL_GATE_EN3 ]

{2 is sclk, 4 means 4 texels per pixel used, so should be Gtexel/s}

Oberon B0 - 286.3 GT/s (2 GHz gfxclk)
Dalco PS5 - 245.76 GT/s (unknown gfxclk)

So it could be slightly detuned from 2.0 GHz (maybe 1.71 GHz if I use a linear model between 2 and 0.911 GHz - note that linear may be a bad model).

EDIT: Looking at Arden, I see a theoretical value of 224 pix/cycle which I am assuming is the analogue as bilinear texture per cycle we have for Oberon.

Nevermind I read this as telex filtrate (px/s) instead of texel density (px/meter). All it means is really great IQ.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CPU worse is because it doesn't need to be the same speed. You should assume that the CPU will be slightly slower however it will perform equivalent to XSX. The less support the GPU needs the slower the CPU required. They will not have a hamstrung CPU. It will perform the exact same as the XSX in usage.
i think cpu is a cut down version of whatever they have in the xbox series x. i agree that the clocks dont have to be the same but they need to save some money on the die which means quartering the cache. i wouldnt be surprised if they went with 16-32MB cache for the series x which could explain the giant APU size.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It'd be more accurate if it was:

Github: PS5 is 36 (active) CUs (possibly upped to 40 active/total), or
Klee/Reiner: PS5 > 12 TF's (in regard to it being over XSX/Anaconda)
For team Klee it doesn't have to be over XSX. He said that they were close enough that a small change could tip the balance.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
What a dumb idea having no drive. Might as well be DOA. You can't try to appeal to low income consumers and then remove used games/game trades from the equation. Enthusiasts who don't need 4K and are all digital will be fine but a disc drive would have made this much better, even at $350. It's not like a UHD drive costs more than $25-$30

Do you think digital purchasing is a foreign concept to a generation who gets every other form of entertainment digitally? Netflix? Spotify? Apps? Etc etc

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think the biggest potential Lockhart has is being sold as a secondary console to Playstation gamers, not just to "poor gamers". There's going to be a ton of enticing Xbox exclusives next-gen, and Playstation gamers can get access to them at a relatively cheap price with Lockhart and Game Pass.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Ok well, I have to believe that the author misquoted the units, as 4096 px/m (pixels per minute) doesn't make sense. If I assume that should have been Megapixels per minute, then I can correlate it back to Github, which gives:

2*4*Sum_all_SX_channel [ (SX_PERF_SEL_DB0_PIXELS + SX_PERF_SEL_DB1_PIXELS+SX_PERF_SEL_DB2_PIXELS +SX_PERF_SEL_DB0_PIXELS) / SX_PERF_SEL_GATE_EN3 ]

Oberon B0 - 286.3 Gtexel/s (2 GHz gfxclk)
Dalco PS5 - 245.76 Gtexel/s (unknown gfxclk)

So it could be slightly detuned from 2.0 GHz (maybe 1.71 GHz if I use a linear model between 2 and 0.911 GHz).

EDIT: Looking at Arden, I see a theoretical value of 224 pix/cycle which I am assuming is the analogue as bilinear texture per cycle we have for Oberon.
It's a density metric, not a throughput metric.

This link explains it:

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Do you remember what happened in 2013?

- PS4 revealed in February, specs (no price)
- XBox One revealed in May, specs (no price, weaker machine, TV TV TV, Sports Sports messaging)
- Xbox reveals price at E3 first, $499
- PS4 reveals price afterwards $399

So... Xbox controlled their messaging going 3 months after Sony? Priced better when announcing first?
None of the above.

What "repeat" are you talking about?

The one with higher power revealed first. Like this time?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

So it could be slightly detuned from 2.0 GHz (maybe 1.8 GHz).

He means texels per meter, for their games's assets/environments etc.

It's not an indicator of GPU texel sample rate or whatnot.

By way of comparison, Ryse was using a texel density of 512/m. Dunno what other more recent games might have been doing, but it someone had those numbers it might give one idea of of 'asset capacity' improvement - although comparing different games in this way by be very apples to oranges.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

So it could be slightly detuned from 2.0 GHz (maybe 1.71 GHz if I use a linear model between 2 and 0.911 GHz).

I think they are referring to pixels per meter, not per minute.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
lol mine too, and she pretends to be the clean freak.

wait till you have kids and have toys lying around the house. i swear i trip over legos at least twice a day.
Mine is worse... She cleans, cooks, washes the clothes when she is supposed to work from home and gives out when I work from home because I actually DO work and typically only cooks between two calls lol

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you said if you were comfy with their specs they will release them. So you think they are shook, so they gotta find ways to beat in the features side and games side to offset their lower power compared to the Series X.

First, I didn't say anything lol. That was another poster. And that poster was saying that between the two approaches they would consider the more confident company going first the more obvious move. Which makes sense if you had to choose between those two scenarios, as Sony surely knew they had bested MS last time and they went first, even throwing out the whole "We'll let them go first....psych!" curve ball. Lastly, that poster also said they have no idea where Sony is coming in power-wise. They're not saying Sony is shook. They're responding to another poster about what each scenario could mean.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It's a density metric, not a throughput metric.

This link explains it:

He means texels per meter, for their games's assets/environments etc.

It's not an indicator of GPU texel sample rate or whatnot.

By way of comparison, Ryse was using a texel density of 512/m. Dunno what other more recent games might have been doing, but it someone had those numbers it might give one idea of of 'asset capacity' improvement - although comparing different games in this way by be very apples to oranges.
Somehow I read it as texel fill rate. Bummer.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Oberon B0 - 286.3 GT/s (2 GHz gfxclk)
Dalco PS5 - 245.76 GT/s (unknown gfxclk)

So it could be slightly detuned from 2.0 GHz (maybe 1.71 GHz if I use a linear model between 2 and 0.911 GHz - note that linear may be a bad model).

How does this translate into something easier to understand, like number of TMUs?

Edit: nevermind, I guess it doesn't indicate texel rate or pixel fill rate.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Closest current equivalent to XSX/Lockhart is the switch - docked is XSX, undocked is lockhart. Main difference is target resolution. For the switch, GPU clocks are changed so when undocked it uses less power. But CPU is the same - because you still need to be able to run the same engine, update the same elements, feed the same 3D models into the GPU etc.

IMO Lockhart would need identical or almost identical CPU and the main cost saving on the APU would be on the smaller GPU

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised that people are complaining about the XSS not having an optical drive.

The Xbox One X and the Xbox One All Digital were the pre-cursors for how MS will approach this gen.

Physical games will continue to die off at an accelerating pace. MS is leaning hard into GamePass. This console will be sold for around $300 and still be losing money even without the BR drive. The way you make it up is cutting out the optical drive that is becoming increasingly obsolete and that pushes the LTV of the console up via digital and GP sales.

The sales lost to those clinging to physical will be significantly offset by the money made from people jumping on a $299 next gen console.

Closest current equivalent to XSX/Lockhart is the switch - docked is XSX, undocked is lockhart. Main difference is target resolution. For the switch, GPU clocks are changed so when undocked it uses less power. But CPU is the same - because you still need to be able to run the same engine, update the same elements, feed the same 3D models into the GPU etc.

IMO Lockhart would need identical or almost identical CPU and the main cost saving on the APU would be on the smaller GPU

It will be the same CPU but clocked down. The Switch isn't a good comparison because its still one console. Think of the difference in clocks between the One S and the X. One S is around 1.75GHZ the Xbox One X is 2.3GHZ. The One X needs the extra speed to help feed the GPU.

They both run the background stuff the same.

I expect the XSS to use binned Series X chips with lower clocks and disabled CUs. Increases yields on the series X.

Last edited:

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
So Doom Eternal is officially the first game that I was planning on getting on PS4 but cancelled and switched to Xbox so I can play it on Series X

Status
Not open for further replies.