• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They announced hardware RT first, no?

Granted the wording was very weird and people assumed that they were dancing around it, but it was supposed to be announced first :P
Point is that they didnt counter the narrative that their RT is a fake software solution after MS announced RT hardware acceleration

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The way that i see it, there are 2 major ways lockhart can hold back this gen:
1) less memory and bandwidth, games need to be made for hardware with 12 GB GDDR6 rather than 16GB and the memory is also slower.
2) Lockhart effectively forces developers to stick to very high resolutions on the high end console, which inherently limits the graphical complexity of the game, because i dont think developers will let the game drop below 1080p on lockhart, so lockhart will determine our graphical complexity baseline. If we look at it the other way around, then i dont think we will see many games at all targeting below 1800p on the series X. Some would be happy with such a high resolution, but i favor pushing for new technological heights over a simple dry upgrade
For a lower resolution target you don't need as much memory and memory bandwidth too. Don't see the issue there honestly.

point b) I honestly do not understand. Lockhart forces devs to stick to very high resolutions?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
For a lower resolution target you don't need as much memory and memory bandwidth too. Don't see the issue there honestly.

point b) I honestly do not understand. Lockhart forces devs to stick to very high resolutions?
Going by RDR2, quarter the resolution only saves 1GB of GDDR6, not 4, other sacrifices will be made

As for point B, i am looking at the baseline graphics possible, lets say for simplicity that this gens baseline complexity is 1.
Now lets say that lockhart will be 1080p most of the time and be our new baseline because i dont see developers targeting below 1080p for lockhart. Lets also say that after efficiency improvements lockharts GPU performs like the Xbox One X's, 6/1.84 = 3.2x graphical complexity increase, as in, the graphical complexity of next gen would be 3.2 (or lower if lockhart is running at 1440p).
However, if a developer were to target checkerboard 2160p on the xbox series X, then you get (estimated) rating of 5.5 graphical complexity.

That is what i mean by lockhart potentially holding the gen back by forcing devs to target higher resolutions.

Last edited:

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
If they have the more powerful one, it doesn't matter when they decide to announce it. Microsoft isn't going to force their hand.

If you have the weaker machine, it's usually safer to go first.

and got destroyed by the media later on and PR talks as well...

no it's not sater at all...

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
That only works as long no Sony dev simply starts lowering their internal resolution to boost the graphics. Sure the lockhart could possibly do the same @1080p as the Series X in native 4k but what if you design a game in 1080P and use the whole TFs to up the graphics up to 11?

I don't think this is wrong, but I think it's a pretty unlikely scenario to be honest with you.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Going by RDR2, quarter the resolution only saves 1GB of GDDR6, not 4, other sacrifices will be made
I did not know that RDR2 made any sacrifices on the One X regarding memory where they had 9 GB for games (12 GB total). The same amount of memory that is rumored for Lockhart (12 GB total).

What is about your point b) ?

Last edited:

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I am starting to come around to the conclusion that lockhart will not limit the "graphical" quality of games on the Xbox Series hardware, especially as our tests have shown witha theroetical 4TF GPU. If you can just scale resolution, then it is the exact same thing you have on PC where an RTX 2080Ti can run games at 4K while a 1660/RTX 2060 or so does it at 1080p. Same graphical effects and everything. It only makes sense.

I see no reason why an exclusive XSX + Lockhart game would look worse than one designed around 9.2 TF GPU elsewhere. It should look better, and then just have lockhart be quarter res or a bit more depending upon what is the greatest limiting factor on the GPU.

Xbox One though? Yeah that can definitely limit game ambitions unless we are looking at games that look or run dramatically differently. Kind of like Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, or Crysis 3 last gen.
Ok, most of the developers who Richard chat to did have concerns correct. Here at the 18:00 minute mark Richard Leadbetter says:

I have spoken to developers about this across the year once this sort of [dual SKU] concept became known and there has always been, to every one I've spoken to about it, a certain degree of suspicion and worry... If we look back at the console generations, the lowest spec machine has always been a pain in the bum to work with... that's the PG13 way of expressing some of the [developer] sentiments.

Also is 9.2 TF PS5 specs from your sources or just GitHub

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
If they have the more powerful one, it doesn't matter when they decide to announce it. Microsoft isn't going to force their hand.

If you have the weaker machine, it's usually safer to go first.
Just no. I think we all have to start considering the possibility that neither of these companies have reactionary strategies and are just following their own internal one. There are way to many variables to make statements like this in either direction.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just popping in here once again to say I don't expect a major concrete announcement/reveal event to happen until at least August. Sony has tons of big PS4 titles coming out a couple times a month through to July now. Why compete with themselves right ? Once Ghosts of Tsushima is out , then I'd wager we will actually have something more concrete than a handful of wired articles and a logo. Because of COVID19 , I don't expect they'll rent out a theater to show it all off either. Just a big long video. I'd love to be wrong though.

Eh, I don't know.

Sony came right out of the gate in 2013 with a tease in January for a big PS4 reveal in February - despite the fact they had Sly Cooper that came out in March, God of War: Ascension which also came out in March, and The Last of Us in July.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That only works as long no Sony dev simply starts lowering their internal resolution to boost the graphics. Sure the lockhart could possibly do the same @1080p as the Series X in native 4k but what if you design a game in 1080P and use the whole TFs to up the graphics up to 11?

Series X could do the same but Lockhart couldn't. I don't think ms would want to see sub 720p on their new shiny console just to compete with sony.
Then you can tune the graphics down on Lockhart, coupled with an even lower resolution and lower framerate.

Those self imposed scenarios make no sense. No one would be willing to go as low as 1080p on SX but for whatever reason would be against of possibly go lower on Lockhart.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Sony having the weaker hardware won't matter much if they close .
Lets say they come in at 11TF 97% of people not going to leave PS eco system for 1TF.
And what just as important if they that close it will hardly show up in games or won't at all.
So even if they weaker they can still afford to do things at there own pace .

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am starting to come around to the conclusion that lockhart will not limit the "graphical" quality of games on the Xbox Series hardware, especially as our tests have shown witha theroetical 4TF GPU. If you can just scale resolution, then it is the exact same thing you have on PC where an RTX 2080Ti can run games at 4K while a 1660/RTX 2060 or so does it at 1080p. Same graphical effects and everything. It only makes sense.

I see no reason why an exclusive XSX + Lockhart game would look worse than one designed around 9.2 TF GPU elsewhere. It should look better, and then just have lockhart be quarter res or a bit more depending upon what is the greatest limiting factor on the GPU.

Xbox One though? Yeah that can definitely limit game ambitions unless we are looking at games that look or run dramatically differently. Kind of like Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, or Crysis 3 last gen.
You've tested games designed to run on a 2013 1.3x TF Xbox APU. It's like using CEMU to say how Lockhart will be ok because a 4TF GPU scales a WiiU .iso well compared to a 12TF. The core design of a game isn't only made with sliders tweaking scalable post-processing effects, it has to weight on a baseline and to fit in a defined hardware envelope.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
1) less memory and bandwidth, games need to be made for hardware with 12 GB GDDR6 rather than 16GB and the memory is also slower.
2) Lockhart effectively forces developers to stick to very high resolutions on the high end console, which inherently limits the graphical complexity of the game, because i dont think developers will let the game drop below 1080p on lockhart, so lockhart will determine our graphical complexity baseline. If we look at it the other way around, then i dont think we will see many games at all targeting below 1800p on the series X. Some would be happy with such a high resolution, but i favor pushing for new technological heights over a simple dry upgrade

I honestly do wish Lockhart was stronger, even if the DF tests show it can come close to 6TF Polaris. My dream Xbox specs now that we know how high RDNA2 can be clocked would be a 48CU chip with all CUs activated at 2GHz for the XSX, and chips that can't hit those targets would be used for Lockhart, with 44 CUs activated running at maybe 1066MHz for exactly 6TF. This is assuming that it would be more economical, only having to make one chip.

What would the required cooling be for 44 RDNA2 CUs at 1066MHz?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I did not know that RDR2 made any sacrifices on the One X regarding memory where they had 9 GB for games. Just like it is rumored for Lockhart (12GB of ram).

What is about your point b) ?
I am going by PC benchmarks for RDR2, scaled on ultra settings from native 4k to 1080p.

Edited my previous post to explain point B

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Ah yes, I think that the assumption was that Sparkman was Lockhart based on earlier info (not sure what info exactly) and that the rest of the info was from Arden and had been copied and pasted across.

Is this just all assumption or is there anything to base this stuff on though?

So we have:

gonzalo/Ariel/flute - Sony designed APU Navi 10 RDNA1 36/40 CU - purpose unknown as to why Sony bothered developing a RDNA1 chip clocked up to 1.8GHz (IMO BC development)

Oberon - Sony designed APU again 36/40CU very similar to Ariel etc - initially felt to be RDNA1 by Komachi etc but now unsure. Initially 1.8Ghz then 2.0Ghz if I recall correctly

Arden - MS designed 56/60CU RDNA2 chip. Not much data, felt to be at a far earlier stage of development initially

Sparkman - ??? Designed 56/60 CU RDNA2 chip, similar early stage of development

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The github official channel will provide new official info in the coming days. We can say already that PS5 BOM is now over 500 us dollars and the overall power lower than 9 tflops. Supply chain issues are real but only for Sony of course as confirmed by our friends at Bloomberg. Real developers expressed concerns about Lockheart but our armchair analysts at Github confirmed the low end sku won't have any negative impact on the games development process.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
You've tested games designed to run on a 2013 1.3x TF Xbox APU. It's like using CEMU to say how Lockhart will be ok because a 4TF GPU scales a WiiU .iso well compared to a 12TF. The core design of a game isn't only made with sliders tweaking scalable post-processing effects, it has to fit a baseline and a defined hardware envelope.

Gears 5 was also designed to run on a 2013 1.3 TF Xbox and it's one of the most technically impressive games this gen.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I don't think Sony will have that problem, at 9Tf, 10Tf, 11Tf, etc. If the price is right and the games impress. Sony's biggest year-one/year-two marketing challenge ever was when they overshot on tech and price, it's hard to think of anything more challenging than that. A slightly weaker PS5, with the right marketing mix (i.e. price, games etc), will be fine.

MS is doing them a favour with Lockhart in this scenario by the way. By definition they're lowering the level of 'acceptability' well below where PS5 will stand. MS , for the sake of their own offerings, can't really argue that XSX is the only desirable next-gen option. If PS5 comes in between the two Xboxs in price, and closer to XSX in perceived 'impressiveness', Sony will be very happy with that positioning. That's an if, but my point is, the calculus in terms of perception - wider perception - is more than the tech in the box.

If Sony has a good product and price point, core gamers will buy it no matter what which will in turn bring more casual gamers in through word of mouth.

The other issue is Lockhart, which depending on pricing could be disruptive if Sony isn't directly in the middle of XSX and Lockhart in both price and power. I'd argue it's more dangerous for Sony as they have to nail both aspects to be considered a good deal comparatively, plus the Xbox ecosystem has the value add of GamePass.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Sony having the weaker hardware won't matter much if they close .
Lets say they come in at 11TF 97% of people not going to leave PS eco system for 1TF.
And what just as important if they that close it will hardly show up in games or won't at all.
So even if they weaker they can still afford to do things at there own pace .

No one is leaving even IF the PS5 was 9.5TF.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

As for point B, i am looking at the baseline graphics possible, lets say for simplicity that this gens baseline complexity is 1.
Now lets say that lockhart will be 1080p most of the time and be our new baseline because i dont see developers targeting below 1080p for lockhart. Lets also say that after efficiency improvements lockharts GPU performs like the Xbox One X's, 6/1.84 = 3.2x graphical complexity increase, as in, the graphical complexity of next gen would be 3.2 (or lower if lockhart is running at 1440p).
However, if a developer were to target checkerboard 2160p on the xbox series X, then you get (estimated) rating of 5.5 graphical complexity.

That is what i mean by lockhart potentially holding the gen back by forcing devs to target higher resolutions.

Why are you assuming no developers will target lower than 1080 on Lockhart?

Why can't Lockhart checkerboard up to 1080 from a lower resolution?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
1) less bandwidth is expected, it does not need the same bandwidth at lower resolutions it targets anyway. Less memory is also pretty mitigatable as you just have lockheart use a higher level mip for textures if that is a problem. Lower res textures is a common thing to see on PS4pro, PS4, and xbox base. Even on X1X in comparison to PC.
2) I think that does not need to force developers at all as they can target any performance and resolution as they wish. Lockhart is the new "good enough" entry if it is real, but it actually would probably have a competent storage solution and CPU. We have seen a lot of games this generation which go to 720p on Xbox base. People still play and bought them. I imagine something similar could happen and those same consumers would not bat an eye, especially if reconstruction techniques are in play here.

Much like I say to everyone on PC, buying something for X amount of money should never guarantee resolutions or framerate.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Do me a favour.

Take Star Citizen and do some benchmarks, maybe using the same setup you have now to do those incredible tech videos on the game. Now, replace the GPU with one that's 3x weaker (TF-wise) and only lower the resolution. Tell us what happens.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gears 5 was also designed to run on a 2013 1.3 TF Xbox and it's one of the most technically impressive games this gen.
Sure but it's not the question I have asked : to know if a 300% difference of raw GPU power will only translate into more pixel or better shadows, and not impact the design of a game. Otherwise it's like having 2080Ti and only RetroArch to run with. Sure N64 games will look gorgeous on it, but it's not like playing a full capable Windows game.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
1) less bandwidth is expected, it does not need the same bandwidth at lower resolutions it targets anyway. Less memory is also pretty mitigatable as you just have lockheart use a higher level mip for textures if that is a problem. Lower res textures is a common thing to see on PS4pro, PS4, and xbox base. Even on X1X in comparison to PC.
2) I think that does not need to force developers at all as they can target any performance and resolution as they wish. Lockhart is the new "good enough" entry if it is real, but it actually would probably have a competent storage solution and CPU. We have seen a lot of games this generation which go to 720p on Xbox base. People still play and bought them. I imagine something similar could happen and those same consumers would not bat an eye, especially if reconstruction techniques are in play here.
Why are you assuming no developers will target lower than 1080 on Lockhart?

Why can't Lockhart checkerboard up to 1080 from a lower resolution?
that was this gen, which xbox one got ridiculed for, lockhart is next gen, i just dont see developers going below 1080p on a next gen console.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
9.2 RDNA2 I'm ok with. I assume if that holds, then Ps5 will be less expensive than xsx. Neither is right or wrong, they'd just be targeting different things

a 12TF at a high price with no alternative would potentially be a mistake if it's eg $599. Lockhart gives MS some flexibility on positioning.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to holding back games gfx won't be the main problem for lockhart .
It will be the things that can't scale well and most gfx effect can .
It going to be things that the 12TF GPU can do that won't scale well with the drop in bandwidth .

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So are you saying that a console targeting lower graphical settings will use up more ram for different resolution targets than PC on ultra settings would?
No, I say the the amount of memory that is rumored looks sufficient to me what a console would target for a resolution of 1080p to 1440p.
I also look at benchmarks on PC for most games where a RTX 2060 with 6GB can run those games easily at ultra settings in those resolutions. Including your example!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
You've tested games designed to run on a 2013 1.3x TF Xbox APU. It's like using CEMU to say how Lockhart will be ok because a 4TF GPU scales a WiiU .iso well compared to a 12TF. The core design of a game isn't only made with sliders tweaking scalable post-processing effects, it has to weight on a baseline and to fit in a defined hardware envelope.
The core design of a game is limited in modern times by feature sets available and the CPU as I see it. If lockhart exists and has the same CPU as Series X, and same storage, and the same GPU feature set, then PC space shows us that it can just lower resolution, lower sample counts and be done with it. Yes, even with Ray Tracing as we have tested A LOT with the RTX 2060.
that was this gen, which xbox one got ridiculed for, lockhart is next gen, i just dont see developers going below 1080p on a next gen console.

Lockhart can be ridiculed then for having muddy graphics. But it is not for the hardcore, so the audience does not mind. The hardcore will have their PS5s and their XSXs.
Ok, most of the developers who Richard chat to did have concerns correct. Here at the 18:00 minute mark Richard Leadbetter says:

Also is 9.2 TF PS5 specs from your sources or just GitHub

Developers can be nervous of course. But even I have evolved my opinion of Lockhart over time, and if lockhart is real, I think devs will as well. All I had to do was think analogies to the PC space and well, it became a much less of an issue.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
Someone would have the screenshots of the statements of those, Kleegamefan for example, who announced that the PS5 would be equivalent to the XSX see superior? I lost these sources 😶

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know why NAVI10 Lite and NAVI21 Lite would need Linux drivers?

Given Oberon is RDNA 2 why haven't we found a 2X GPU ID?

Also, NAVI12 Lite? Which APU was that?

WiZDZa2SJh3nYW8iS7v9zA-650-80.jpg

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
XSX 12TF $499 = $41.50 per TF
PS5 9.2TF $399 = $43 per TF

both similarly priced for the performance they offer :p

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Point is that they didnt counter the narrative that their RT is a fake software solution after MS announced RT hardware acceleration

Which narrative? I mean, I understand this was speculated by some on forums, but do we really expect Sony to come out for any speculation made over their console? It's not like there were solid evidences that PS5 wouldn't get hardware RT. They had confirmed RT directly in the Wired article. They have since confirmed that this was an Hardware solution. RDNA 2.0, which, by all means, seems to run the PS5 too, has hardware RT.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Which narrative? I mean, I understand this was speculated by some on forums, but do we really expect Sony to come out for any speculation made over their console? It's not like there were solid evidences that PS5 wouldn't get hardware RT. They had confirmed RT directly in the Wired article. They have since confirmed that this was an Hardware solution. RDNA 2.0, which, by all means, seems to run the PS5 too, has hardware RT.
So they also dont need to counter MS saying xbox series X has 12TF with anything because that this narrative crap doesnt matter, thats my point.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So now the 8TF difference between Lockhart and Scarelett is only to output at 4K.
Seriously ?
What do you think will happened when devs will follow PC specs and start render games at dynamic resolution : 1800p or even lower ? Lockart will play games at 540p ?
DId people forget how games are rendered throught the lifespan of consoles ?

Ashen one

Feb 20, 2020
Literal quote from AMD guy: "We're on the cusp of the next generation. So the next generation consoles will use our latest Zen technology, use our latest RDNA technology aswell. Really creating this really immersive experience with ray-tracing, 3d audio and fast load times to really excite a new generation of gamers."

It`s deeply offending that statement. It implies PS5 is not for us but for our children. We have been buying all gamesystems there is up until now and feel the PS5 is OURS and we are entitled to feel this and not hand it off to those new gamers.

Can we Sue? Asking for a friend.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
The core design of a game is limited in modern times by feature sets available and the CPU as I see it. If lockhart exists and has the same CPU as Series X, and same storage, and the same GPU feature set, then PC space shows us that it can just lower resolution, lower sample counts and be done with it. Yes, even with Ray Tracing as we have tested A LOT with the RTX 2060.

Which would be true without the use of GPGPU, something developers made use of this past generation. Yes we can argue that they had to because of the weaker CPUs, however the point still remains that the possibility of extensive use of GPGPU features, made possible by the APU nature of the console, is no longer on the table for a baseline game when the GPUs and available compute are not equivalent. Which is again, not even considering the reported slight differences CPU clock, RAM, and bandwidth.

If you're designing a game it's not a good idea to push the boundaries of your higher spec machine in any of those areas, reduce resolution and hope it doesn't break the game. It would just make more a much more efficient and less headache inducing development process to design around Lockhart and scale up as necessary to your upper limit.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So Lockhart will be the baseline for next gen? If GPUs only offer greater resolution what is the worry about MS being cross gen with X1 for a year or more? I would stay cross gen as long as I could if I were Sony or MS if the new consoles are only offering resolution gains. If this is the case I'll wait for them to drop in price.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So now the 8TF difference between Lockhart and Scarelett is only to output at 4K.
Seriously ?
What do you think will happened when devs will follow PC specs and start render games at dynamic resolution : 1800p or even lower ? Lockart will play games at 540p ?
DId people forget how games are rendered throught the lifespan of consoles ?

wrong way round. Xsx isn't 12TF only to scale up res.Xsx is base spec. Lockhart is 4TF which is estimated to be enough to drive 1080p.

Ms have profiling tools and are in a much better place to understand the power needed and scaling efficient than us crazy fools

Status
Not open for further replies.